Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenians and sex: what's your opinion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Armenians and sex: what's your opinion?

Hi, I'm writing as a new member to this forum, and as a white, western European male of 24 years.

I have an enormous interest in the history and politics of Armenia, and very much admire it for repelling so many invasions and keeping its national spirit alive over centuries of turmoil and demoralisation from other forces. But as yet I have had little contact with the country - I have never visited and only recently started reading about modern Armenian society - and would be very keen to learn more... I figured this thread would be the ideal place to start

There's a girl I really like. I met her on facebook a few weeks ago, she's Armenian but living in Moscow, and she's a student, two years younger than me. I feel even this would be enough to give us a common starting point, since I myself graduated last year (although I don't know whether her subject of interest is remotely similar to mine), but besides the distance issue (I live in London, lol), I'm VERY AWARE of the cultural differences between us - possible differences in expectations, and different ideas about how quickly things like this should develop and progress. I feel I may be trying to force my interest upon her, and perhaps pushing my foot too hard on the accelerator. What's more, despite her numerous smileys in messages, she sometimes takes more than a week to reply and she has not yet left an "x" at the end of any of them...

She is very beautiful, presumably well-educated and from what I know about her, she would theoretically be an excellent girlfriend for me. She is highly desireable in many ways. She seems quite modest, but not boring, and all the pieces of her personality seem to "fit" with mine... But again, this cultural gap keeps rearing its head and I'm not sure how to proceed. I have to think so hard before I send her a message, making sure it's not too long in case she can't be bothered to read it, but not too short, because I don't want her to think I'm losing interest... assuming she cares, that is. Plus, I'm not sure when it would be appropriate to address this issue with her directly... At what point is it safe to ask an Armenian girl about her romantic situation?

What should I do? Many people consider Armenia to be a European country, but because of its connections with Eurasia and the Middle East (e.g. Iran) I'm sure there must be some important differences in terms of peoples' attitude towards romance and sex. Are Armenian girls similar to Hindus, in that they only mix with men of the same ethnicity as themselves, or do white western European men stand MORE of a chance with Armenian girls, because perhaps they admire their history and crave the professional status and material prospects that they associate with "the West", in the way that Chinese girls tend to? And since Western Europe and Armenia are united by a shared Christian heritage, should this not mean that, differences between Catholics and Orthodox believers aside, they do at least have a few fundamental cultural perceptions in common? Or are there important divisions between these two faiths, despite their apparently common roots?

I could really use some help with this, and any feedback or advice would be very much appreciated...

Many thanks
    Last edited by Guest; 06-24-2011, 04:52 AM.

Comment

Welcome. Armenia fits with Europe in some ways, but it is very different culturally. Generally, Armenians try to marry other Armenians because we are relatively few in number and preserving our culture and heritage are, therefore, big priorities. That said, there's really no way to tell you about this particular girl because while on average we tend to favor our own (romantically anyway), that doesn't tell us about any individual.

I would say, if you feel strongly about her, then don't put off telling her that you have romantic interest in her for too long because it will just be harder for you if she doesn't feel the same the longer you wait as you grow more attached.
      [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
      -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by mumpsimus View Post
        Hi, I'm writing as a new member to this forum, and as a white, western European male of 24 years.

I have an enormous interest in the history and politics of Armenia, and very much admire it for repelling so many invasions and keeping its national spirit alive over centuries of turmoil and demoralisation from other forces. But as yet I have had little contact with the country - I have never visited and only recently started reading about modern Armenian society - and would be very keen to learn more... I figured this thread would be the ideal place to start

There's a girl I really like. I met her on facebook a few weeks ago, she's Armenian but living in Moscow, and she's a student, two years younger than me. I feel even this would be enough to give us a common starting point, since I myself graduated last year (although I don't know whether her subject of interest is remotely similar to mine), but besides the distance issue (I live in London, lol), I'm VERY AWARE of the cultural differences between us - possible differences in expectations, and different ideas about how quickly things like this should develop and progress. I feel I may be trying to force my interest upon her, and perhaps pushing my foot too hard on the accelerator. What's more, despite her numerous smileys in messages, she sometimes takes more than a week to reply and she has not yet left an "x" at the end of any of them...

She is very beautiful, presumably well-educated and from what I know about her, she would theoretically be an excellent girlfriend for me. She is highly desireable in many ways. She seems quite modest, but not boring, and all the pieces of her personality seem to "fit" with mine... But again, this cultural gap keeps rearing its head and I'm not sure how to proceed. I have to think so hard before I send her a message, making sure it's not too long in case she can't be bothered to read it, but not too short, because I don't want her to think I'm losing interest... assuming she cares, that is. Plus, I'm not sure when it would be appropriate to address this issue with her directly... At what point is it safe to ask an Armenian girl about her romantic situation?

What should I do? Many people consider Armenia to be a European country, but because of its connections with Eurasia and the Middle East (e.g. Iran) I'm sure there must be some important differences in terms of peoples' attitude towards romance and sex. Are Armenian girls similar to Hindus, in that they only mix with men of the same ethnicity as themselves, or do white western European men stand MORE of a chance with Armenian girls, because perhaps they admire their history and crave the professional status and material prospects that they associate with "the West", in the way that Chinese girls tend to? And since Western Europe and Armenia are united by a shared Christian heritage, should this not mean that, differences between Catholics and Orthodox believers aside, they do at least have a few fundamental cultural perceptions in common? Or are there important divisions between these two faiths, despite their apparently common roots?

I could really use some help with this, and any feedback or advice would be very much appreciated...

Many thanks
        If you're asking whether you can impress her with money and material possession then the answer is yes.
        "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Don't mind him... he's a cynic who doesn't even believe in love.
          [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
            Don't mind him... he's a cynic who doesn't even believe in love.
            He's roaming face book as if it's a catalog of women... much like the rest of his generation, they live in the virtual world.
            "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
              He's roaming face book as if it's a catalog of women... much like the rest of his generation, they live in the virtual world.
              He didn't say how he met her on FB. You're assuming things about him. You don't even give people the benefit of the doubt when you know next to nothing about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
                He didn't say how he met her on FB. You're assuming things about him. You don't even give people the benefit of the doubt when you know next to nothing about them.
                "I met her on facebook a few weeks ago, she's Armenian but living in Moscow, and she's a student, two years younger than me. I feel even this would be enough to give us a common starting point, since I myself graduated last year (although I don't know whether her subject of interest is remotely similar to mine), but besides the distance issue (I live in London, lol), I'm VERY AWARE of the cultural differences between us - possible differences in expectations, and different ideas about how quickly things like this should develop and progress. I feel I may be trying to force my interest upon her, and perhaps pushing my foot too hard on the accelerator. What's more, despite her numerous smileys in messages, she sometimes takes more than a week to reply and she has not yet left an "x" at the end of any of them..."

Messages, smileys and hopes of XOXOXOXOX's . Sounds like love at first sight to me.

Comment

I am a little afraid of sex. It sounds so uncomfortable. However, I am well educated about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiyoko View Post
                    I am a little afraid of sex. It sounds so uncomfortable. However, I am well educated about it.
                    Associate professor after THE workshop classes ...

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
                    Wow ... she acted as an academician in our science!

No skilled PROFESSIONAL, among living creatures of the world could do that!
                    Last edited by gegev; 07-11-2011, 08:49 PM.

Comment

I believe people's insecurities drive their view of sex.

Comment

Working...
                      X