Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Any of you is married to a Mexican or Latin people?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any of you is married to a Mexican or Latin people?

Actually I can, learn more about Ossetians, then you will see they have alot of similarities with Armenians, the language is as well Indo-European, the national dress, dances and music has similarities too.

By using the aforementioned way of analyzing Mexico, we can then say that Armenians and Ossets are near identical too, which we both know they are not.

As to family roles defining "race" (Armenians don't have a race, Armenian is an ethnicity, just like there is no Mayan race, it's an ethnicity, the race is Amerind in the case of Mayans, and Armenians are Caucasoid/Armenoid), gender roles changed with Abrahamic religion Dre, perhaps you should research Zoroastrianism and see for yourself the differences Armenia went through.

And mixing isn't a modern day phenomenon, how many Greeks didn't intermarry with the people they conquered, how many Persians and Armenians didn't intermarry before Islam and Christianity, bear this in mind please

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro Xaramillo View Post
      Actually I can, learn more about Ossetians, then you will see they have alot of similarities with Armenians, the language is as well Indo-European, the national dress, dances and music has similarities too.

By using the aforementioned way of analyzing Mexico, we can then say that Armenians and Ossets are near identical too, which we both know they are not.

As to family roles defining "race" (Armenians don't have a race, Armenian is an ethnicity, just like there is no Mayan race, it's an ethnicity, the race is Amerind in the case of Mayans, and Armenians are Caucasoid/Armenoid), gender roles changed with Abrahamic religion Dre, perhaps you should research Zoroastrianism and see for yourself the differences Armenia went through.

And mixing isn't a modern day phenomenon, how many Greeks didn't intermarry with the people they conquered, how many Persians and Armenians didn't intermarry before Islam and Christianity, bear this in mind please

I know quite a bit about Ossetians and I do not deny there are similarities between them and Armenians, however, unlike Mexicans and Colombians, we do not speak the same language. The Poles speak an IE language too does that mean they are really similar to Armenians? This is a major factor.

Just because our dress and dances have similarities with theirs doesn't really prove what you are trying to say. In that case I guess we could live with the azeri's, turks, georgians, assyrians or kurds too.

As far as race I never said Armenians were an independent race, but we are an independent ethnicity with the closest people being some of our neighbors who due to the history of the area do have a great amount of Armenian blood i.e. turks and azeris.

Again, I didn't say mixing is a modern issue so I am not sure why you brought this up.
      Last edited by Armanen; 11-09-2009, 05:35 PM.
      For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
      to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

I didn't say gender/family roles defining race, I said culture. Culture is what gives and defines identity. It doesn't matter which branch of race Armenians came from, they still share a common root. It also doesn't matter how many intermarried, as long as those that survive today can define themselves as being Armenian. Those of us that defines themselves as Armenian have a right to defend their own culture, heritage and people as they see fit.

If you can't see why we're so defensive, might I point you to the following news article....

http://forum.hyeclub.com/showpost.ph...72&postcount=1
        Last edited by KanadaHye; 11-09-2009, 05:27 PM.
        "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Comparing inter-ethnic marriage to outright slaughter is pushing, I'm not Armenian and I can speak the language to a degree of being able to communicate at this point wit someone without any trouble, I understand the alphabet completely and I know the history and know the differences in regards to music, etc., if I, someone without a drop of Armenian blood in my veins can learn this, so can someone who is half blood. THere are full blooded Armenians (And for that matter Mexicans, Cubans, Russians, Irish people) who don't know xxxx about their culture, a good example is your average ghetto wannabe Mexican or Armenian, who thinks they are the next Puff Daddy.

As to Armanen, we speak Spanish as we were colonized to speak it,Mozambiquecans speak Portuguese, but they aren't Portuguese and they culture differs from Portugal, and other African countries, just because we had a systematic cultural Genocide of our languages doesn't mean we are Spaniards now. The Irish speak English, the Irish are not English, same with Latin Americans.

Now you didn't say it was modern, others here have, I am just correcting them, Armenians themselves are a union of Urartians and Hittites (Aryans) for example, so some "miscegination" had to have occured there che?

I am totally for Armenians who want to marry only Armenians and totally for Armenians who don't, I am here concerned about individual liberty as people's private lives are none of anyone's business really, it's called ethics.
          If parents aren't lazy they can teach their kids about their culture, whether mixed or unmixed.

A mix of cultures by intermarriage isn't what worries, consumerist culture is what worries me, more and more people are fitting into and assimilating into the Anglo American vision, one of the reasons America hates Mexicans is that we refuse to assimilate and they want us to assimilate, that and the immigration debate, which is ludicrous as we are the indigenous people and they need us to do their work, you'd think the least they could do would be to be kind with citizenshp and not favour rich people above the poor Mexican labourer

Now as to Ossetians, they are an Iranian Christian people, hence very close to Armenians, Im not saying they are exactly the same, I am saying analyzing like you analyzed us, you could say you are the same.

My point is everyone is an expert on Mexicans and Latinos, but most of everyone doesn't know much about our culture, I know you probably did not mean it offensively, but you have vast amounts of diversity in Latin America which is not shown to the world, this is not an attack against you Armanen, as many people do that, and I don't mean specifically Hyeclub either, what I am saying is many people do not know about our culture, and sadly alot of that has to do with the consumerist (American) way of potraying us, all I ask is that people try to learn the actual culture and see past the Fox Entertainment version of Mexican culture
          Last edited by Pedro Xaramillo; 11-09-2009, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Comparing inter-ethnic marriage to outright slaughter is pushing, I'm not Armenian and I can speak the language to a degree of being able to communicate at this point wit someone without any trouble, I understand the alphabet completely and I know the history and know the differences in regards to music, etc., if I, someone without a drop of Armenian blood in my veins can learn this, so can someone who is half blood. THere are full blooded Armenians (And for that matter Mexicans, Cubans, Russians, Irish people) who don't know xxxx about their culture, a good example is your average ghetto wannabe Mexican or Armenian, who thinks they are the next Puff Daddy.

As to Armanen, we speak Spanish as we were colonized to speak it,Mozambiquecans speak Portuguese, but they aren't Portuguese and they culture differs from Portugal, and other African countries, just because we had a systematic cultural Genocide of our languages doesn't mean we are Spaniards now. The Irish speak English, the Irish are not English, same with Latin Americans.

Now you didn't say it was modern, others here have, I am just correcting them, Armenians themselves are a union of Urartians and Hittites (Aryans) for example, so some "miscegination" had to have occured there che?

I am totally for Armenians who want to marry only Armenians and totally for Armenians who don't, I am here concerned about individual liberty as people's private lives are none of anyone's business really, it's called ethics.
            If parents aren't lazy they can teach their kids about their culture, whether mixed or unmixed.

A mix of cultures by intermarriage isn't what worries, consumerist culture is what worries me, more and more people are fitting into and assimilating into the Anglo American vision, one of the reasons America hates Mexicans is that we refuse to assimilate and they want us to assimilate, that and the immigration debate, which is ludicrous as we are the indigenous people and they need us to do their work, you'd think the least they could do would be to be kind with citizenshp and not favour rich people above the poor Mexican labourer

Now as to Ossetians, they are an Iranian Christian people, hence very close to Armenians, Im not saying they are exactly the same, I am saying analyzing like you analyzed us, you could say you are the same.

My point is everyone is an expert on Mexicans and Latinos, but most of everyone doesn't know much about our culture, I know you probably did not mean it offensively, but you have vast amounts of diversity in Latin America which is not shown to the world, this is not an attack against you Armanen, as many people do that, and I don't mean specifically Hyeclub either, what I am saying is many people do not know about our culture, and sadly alot of that has to do with the consumerist (American) way of potraying us, all I ask is that people try to learn the actual culture and see past the Fox Entertainment version of Mexican culture

The Mozambique example is extreme because here you talk not only another ethnic group but another race altogether, whereas with my comparison of most Latin Americans, they fall under the Caucasian race. There are a lot of mixed marriages between Indian-Spanish (Mestizo), Spanish-African (Mulatto), Indian-African (Zambo), and like in Argentina mostly Criollo or other non mixed Europeans. The common language of Spanish binds Latin Americans together, at least on some level, this is something Armenians do not have with any other ethnic group. There is no country an Armenian can go to outside of Armenia where the majority of the people know Armenian.

The Ossetians are close true, just like the Persians, but because of the language factor and the religion factor with regards to Persians and Armenians, it would be more difficult for an Armenian to preserve his culture without an Armenia, than it would be for a Colombian. If Colombia were to disappear somehow tomorrow, but the residents of Colombia were left intact they could more easily continue their lives in any neighboring Latin American country than if the same were to happen to Armenians.

I do not mean to group all Latin people as one, but I was originaly trying to make a point that Armenian culture is not widespread and there are few close cultures let alone really close cultures as in the case of Latin America. So Armenians an Ossetians may share many things in common, but as long as they do not speak the same language they are not as close to one another as a Colombian and a Peruvian or whatever other Latin American country you wish to substitute.
            For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated

Comment

We are a wholly different race, most Mexican and northern South Americans are pure Indians, most Domicans are black, most Cubans are mulattos. We are not white.

Other immigrant groups include Arabs and Japanese. Peru's racial structure can be classified as 45% Amerindian, 37% mestizo (mixed Amerindian and European), 15% European, and 3% African, Japanese, Chinese, and other.[1]

Bolivia's ethnic distribution is estimated to be 30% Quechua-speaking and 25% Aymara-speaking Amerindians. The largest of the approximately three dozen native groups are the Quechuas (2.5 million), Aymaras (2 million), then Chiquitano (180,000), and Guaraní (125,000). So the full Amerindian population is at 55%; the remaining 30% is mestizo (mixed Amerindian and European), and around 15% are whites.

According to the CIA World Fact Book, Guatemala has a population of 12,728,111 (2007 est). The majority of the population is Ladino, also called Mestizo (mixed Amerindian and Spanish), and Whites (primarily of Spanish, but also those of Italian, German, British and Scandinavian descent), they make up a combined total of 59.4%. Amerindians populations include the K'iche' 9.1%, Kaqchikel 8.4%, Mam 7.9% and Q'eqchi 6.3%. 8.6% of the population is "other Mayan" making the indigenous community in Guatemala a majority in the population, 0.2% is indigenous non-Mayan, and 0.1% is "other".

Mexico :

# Mestizos (those of mixed European and Amerindian ancestry) form the largest group, comprising up to 60–80% of the total population.
              # Amerindians called indigenous peoples (indígenas) are estimated to be between 16%-30% of the population.Indigenous peoples are considered the foundation of the Mexican pluricultural nation and therefore enjoy self-determination in certain areas. Indigenous languages are also considered "national languages" and are protected by law. The CDI identifies 62 indigenous groups in Mexico, each with a unique language.

(Source : Wikipedia)

The Mexican government doesnt use race but language to define race, most Mexicans are as a result Spanish speaking Indians.

As said, we aren't Caucasian, we differ heavily from eachother, yes from Mexico to Paraguay most of us are Amerind to Mestizo, but the majority have heavily differing cultures, even in Boliva does one Amerind differ from the next

Comment

About 33% of Latin America's population is criollo, which translates to 189,000,000 million people. Of the remaining 67% how many would you say are mestizo?

I would be willing to bet that if one takes the total criollo population and adds it to the total mestizo population that it would be over 70% of Latin America's population. If you know exact figures please let me know. The point I am trying to make though is that the majority of Latin Americans are more Caucasian than African or Amerindian. Couple that with the overall similarities in culture and the fact that the language is the same from Argentina to Mexico and you see what I am saying.

I feel like I am repeating myself, maybe I am not explaining my thoughts well or maybe you just will never agree to what I am saying but I think I have shown my original point that for Armenians marriage with non-Armenians is more of an issue than someone from Latin America. Of course if the Armenian and his/her otar partner were to live and raise their child in Armenia than I wouldn't object to it, but that is typically not the case.

At the end of the day it is a matter of personal choice and I am by no means advocating some kind of marriage law, people should be free to choose their wife or husband but I strongly encourage Armenians to make connections with their Homeland and thus make it more likely they will not lose their Armenianess.

Comment

Originally posted by Armanen View Post
                  About 33% of Latin America's population is criollo, which translates to 189,000,000 million people. Of the remaining 67% how many would you say are mestizo?

I would be willing to bet that if one takes the total criollo population and adds it to the total mestizo population that it would be over 70% of Latin America's population. If you know exact figures please let me know. The point I am trying to make though is that the majority of Latin Americans are more Caucasian than African or Amerindian. Couple that with the overall similarities in culture and the fact that the language is the same from Argentina to Mexico and you see what I am saying.

I feel like I am repeating myself, maybe I am not explaining my thoughts well or maybe you just will never agree to what I am saying but I think I have shown my original point that for Armenians marriage with non-Armenians is more of an issue than someone from Latin America. Of course if the Armenian and his/her otar partner were to live and raise their child in Armenia than I wouldn't object to it, but that is typically not the case.

At the end of the day it is a matter of personal choice and I am by no means advocating some kind of marriage law, people should be free to choose their wife or husband but I strongly encourage Armenians to make connections with their Homeland and thus make it more likely they will not lose their Armenianess.
                  I see your point, but what I am saying is that Criollos don't see Mestizos as white, also most are really Spanish speaking Indians, hence it's better to lump them with Amerinds, in addition what you need to think of is the damages it would then do for an Amerind who is already marginalized to marry a Spaniard for example, it can lead to the total devastation of Indian culture if the child isn't taught about their Indian heritage, moreso with Mestizos.

But yes, I agree, it's a personal choice, and do see your point with Armenians, just saying diversity is far more than people know about in the Americas, language isn't everything specially in the case of say Ireland vs. England (who are for real both white). And as I said, not meant to be an argument against, I respect your posts on here, specially in regards to issues regarding the situation with Turkey and Armenia

Comment

Have to hand it to you Pedro, you are a rarity being Mexican and knowing quite a lot about Armenian culture (including writing and speaking, history etc.). Btw the Mexican Ambassador to the United States, Arturo Sarukhan is of Armenian heritage, which also creates a good bond, he is on close terms with the Consul General of Armenia in LA and has been noted for his exemplary work as a Mexican diplomat.

I personally know an Armenian lady who knows very well the cultures of Native Americans (of North and South Americas). In fact she works at one of the Native American reservations and people do not even know she is Armenian thinking she is Native American. She is also active in Armenian community also, so she is just an all around activist.

Comment

PepsiAddict should share with us his ultimate Latin experience in this awe-inspiring thread!

Comment

Working...
                      X