Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

I am Armenian and GAY. Not feminine, just masculine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I am Armenian and GAY. Not feminine, just masculine.

"The Earth is billions of years old" is NOT anti-religion rhetoric.
    "Evolution" is not anti-religion rhetoric.
    "Homosexuality is not learned behavior" is NOT anti-religion rhetoric.
    (these are facts supported by evidence... lots and lots of it)

These are the kinds of things Siggie has been saying and you are dismissing them as anti-religion rhetoric.

What is anti-scientific rhetoric is you saying things like abuse leads to homosexuality. When you say something like that, you need to explain where you are getting this information. How it was collected, studied, verified, etc. That's the difficult science part. But the more fundamental issue here is, EVEN if abuse leads to homosexuality, that does not mean homosexuality is only a result of abuse.

I will give you a very simple example which I am sure you will again not understand but I will give it anyway:

Siggie is saying something like some kids love the taste of tomatoes.
    You say oh but wait, kids that are abused with tomatoes inserted in their anus start liking the taste of tomatoes and some kids in Taiwan are injected with genetically engineered hormones to make them like tomatoes so the tomato farmers can make a profit so tomato liking should be frowned upon by Armenians because of these specific instances.

So what is the main point again?

Main point is that there is a lot more evidence about homosexuality being a biological thing rather than just some learned behavior due to abuse etc. The real problem is you are used to thinking of homosexuals as some sort of weirdos that show up wearing boa feathers and tiny colorful underwear and march around on TV where the large majority of homosexuals in the world look and act like pretty much everyone else ... so you don't even get to know their sexual preferences. You say you are offended by the ones that throw their sexuality in your face on tv or in life but that doesn't mean that's all the homosexuals in the world.
    this post = teh win.

Comment

Originally posted by Sip View Post
      "The Earth is billions of years old" is NOT anti-religion rhetoric.
      "Evolution" is not anti-religion rhetoric.
      "Homosexuality is not learned behavior" is NOT anti-religion rhetoric.
      (these are facts supported by evidence... lots and lots of it)
      What pertains to my life is how old human life is because I am human. If I was a dinosaur then I'd worry about why I went extinct. There is lots of evidence as to why civilizations went extinct in the past and it would only make sense to my survival to learn why they went extinct.

Evolution doesn't mean people evolved from lower life forms. That is bogus science.

Homosexuality IS IN FACT learned behaviour. What isn't learned is the amount of estrogen and testosterone someone has in their body.

So what is the main point again?

Main point is that there is a lot more evidence about homosexuality being a biological thing rather than just some learned behavior due to abuse etc. The real problem is you are used to thinking of homosexuals as some sort of weirdos that show up wearing boa feathers and tiny colorful underwear and march around on TV where the large majority of homosexuals in the world look and act like pretty much everyone else ... so you don't even get to know their sexual preferences. You say you are offended by the ones that throw their sexuality in your face on tv or in life but that doesn't mean that's all the homosexuals in the world.
      There really is no evidence swaying either way or else we wouldn't be having this conversation. At least I'm claiming there is some percentage of the population that is born with homosexual tendencies but other parts are due to cultural exposure and learned behaviour.
      Last edited by KanadaHye; 06-28-2011, 03:49 PM.
      "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Funny how I mentioned China and I just ran across this video. The women broadcasters were laughing it up on CNN.

"Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
          There really is no evidence swaying either way or else we wouldn't be having this conversation. At least I'm claiming there is some percentage of the population that is born with homosexual tendencies but other parts are due to cultural exposure and learned behaviour.
          Actually there is a LOT of evidence to one side of the conversation and I still can't believe this is a conversation that really goes on!

Homosexuality IS IN FACT learned behaviour.
          Why do we see homosexual behavior in animals other than humans? Who do they learn from?
          this post = teh win.

Comment

Actually there is a LOT of evidence to one side of the conversation and I still can't believe this is a conversation that really goes on!
            So you think culture has nothing to do with it and every person is born with their programming? You knew to be a straight Armenian male from the day you were born and your life couldn't have possibly gone down a different path if you were born in Brazil or Thailand?

Why do we see homosexual behavior in animals other than humans? Who do they learn from?
            They are animals and have limited learning capability. Why do Armenians raised among Africans and Mexicans act African or Mexican? Why can't they remain Armenian? Culture is a tremendous part of human behaviour. Again, I don't claim that there aren't those that are born with tendencies.

Comment

I don't think anyone's undervaluing the tremendous tremendous influence of environment and culture on shaping our identities, attitudes, or behavior. The evidence, on this specific topic of sexual orientation just points to a large biological component.
              [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
              -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
                I don't think anyone's undervaluing the tremendous tremendous influence of environment and culture on shaping our identities, attitudes, or behavior. The evidence, on this specific topic of sexual orientation just points to a large biological component.
                Define the biological component. I'm curious as to what you think is biologically capable of making someone be attracted to the same sex. I think it's far more psychological.

Comment

Again, I don't claim that there aren't those that are born with tendencies.
                  Homosexuality IS IN FACT learned behaviour.
                  There you go really confusing me again bud. You have said both these things. They can't both be true. So which one is false?
                  this post = teh win.

Comment

There you go really confusing me again bud. You have said both these things. They can't both be true. So which one is false?
                    There are two ways to look at it. Being attracted and acting on the attraction are two separate things. If we acted on our thoughts, most of us would be in prison.

If there is a psychological component then it could be treated through some sort of correctional facility. If there is a biological component due to hormonal imbalance then that could be treated as well. As far as scientists know, there is no gay gene or chromosome that causes this. For cases where people claim they are trapped in the body of the opposite sex then there would have to be a large psychological component.

Wouldn't you say there has been an increase as of late that may point the finger to single parenthood? For example, if a boy was raised sheltered by his mother and never had exposure to a father figure and wasn't exposed much to girls socially in his childhood, don't you think that might have an effect on him psychologically?

We simply don't know what contributes to this phenomenon but statistically it's not in the "norm" but it does seem to be increasing.

Comment

Define the biological component. I'm curious as to what you think is biologically capable of making someone be attracted to the same sex. I think it's far more psychological.
                      We do not have a complete understanding of the intricacies of the body yet. This work is ongoing... We have only relatively recently mapped the human genome even. Not being able to point to how the biology influences orientation (and truthfully, they may have an idea...I haven't looked) does not preclude knowing that it is influenced by biology. I cited you a couple twin studies previously. That's how we find out... We look at monozygotic (identical) twins, dizygotic (paternal) twins, siblings, etc. and compare the incidence of them sharing the same sexual orientation and they calculate the influence of heredity that way. Another way (though harder to do) is to look at monozygotic twins raised together or raised apart and see the difference there. If their sexuality tends to be the same regardless of whether they were raised together (largely same environmental influences) then it points to biology/heredity.
                      This is not new... we have put to the nature/nurture question to LOTS of different things (personality/dispositional traits, alcoholism, intelligence, etc.)

Your problem is this: You think about something and decide how you think it should be and then you stop there without looking into whether it actually IS that way. You don't consider the possibility that there's something you don't know or that you could be mistaken. We learn far more if we're not sooooo attached to our beliefs. We should be more flexible in our thoughts and ready to reevaluate in the face of new information.

There are two ways to look at it. Being attracted and acting on the attraction are two separate things. If we acted on our thoughts, most of us would be in prison.

If there is a psychological component then it could be treated through some sort of correctional facility. If there is a biological component due to hormonal imbalance then that could be treated as well. As far as scientists know, there is no gay gene or chromosome that causes this. For cases where people claim they are trapped in the body of the opposite sex then there would have to be a large psychological component.

Wouldn't you say there has been an increase as of late that may point the finger to single parenthood? For example, if a boy was raised sheltered by his mother and never had exposure to a father figure and wasn't exposed much to girls socially in his childhood, don't you think that might have an effect on him psychologically?

We simply don't know what contributes to this phenomenon but statistically it's not in the "norm" but it does seem to be increasing.
                      I will give you that acting on our feelings is another thing, however if you cannot change who you are attracted to, then you're really just setting yourself up for misery and heartbreak (for yourself and potential partners) by "pretending" to be attracted to the opposite sex and attempting to have romantic relationships in the complete absence of any physical attraction.
                      As I said, if it were a choice and if it's possible to "override the gay" then it stands to reason that the reverse would be possible as well. That is why I have repeatedly asked you whether you can "override the hetero"...

There are such correctional facilities (lots run by religious organizations) and they are unsuccessful. This alone indicates that it's not possible then.

Just because there hasn't been a single gene identified, doesn't mean that we can't tell that it is influenced by heredity. I explained this more in response to your previous post above.

We have known for a long time, for example, that Alzheimer's has a significant hereditary component, but it is only fairly recently that two potential genetic markers (still not whole picture) that can increase risk ~8x have been identified: certain versions of the APOE and APP genes. Long before they found the genes there were other things (identified by means similar to what I described above) and also the curious fact that all those with Down's Syndrome developed early-onset (different biological cause than late-onset) Alzheimer's if they lived long enough (this points to chromosome 21).

No, I wouldn't say there's been an increase as of late that points to single parenthood. If you have found such research, please cite it because I would like to know about it and read the article. I would find this surprising and important to know because I am aware of some research comparing the children of gay couples with the children of heterosexual couples and the gay couples are no more likely to have gay children than the heterosexual couples (I believe it was limited to adopted children if memory serves).

I think before we can even look for something to attribute an increase to though, we must first establish that there is in fact an increase.
                      [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
                      -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                      X