Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Information on Armenian women wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cpa
    My ethnicty is Irish/French. Would this cause problems for me?
    Both French and Irish cultures are warm a taste of - tolerance to - poetry, emotions and a certain dose of irrationality - I consider it as positive, because human. That should help you!
    What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by Siamanto
      In the above, I have simply defined a conceptual model that would allow to understand most "conversational situations" or "language games" - "language game" as define by Wittgenstein - from a certain point of view.

Before we answer the question whether my statement about Anonymouse was gossip or not, I should first suggest a definition of "gossip" based on the conceptual model defined above. Before I proceed to suggesting a definition, we need to agree on the conceptual model.
      That is exactly why I asked if we agreed so far. Do we agree so far?
      Yes, proceed.

Your comments reflect a legitimate ethical concern; I respect and praise it. Of course, I'm not saying that I agree with your interpretation of the facts.
      My only question is that why you failed to express the same concern each time Anonymouse - quite frequently - did the same? How come you did not seem to be so ethically concerned when karoaper provoked this situation?
      Where was your sense fairness and honesty?.
      Siamanto, I did not make my initial comment in an effort to be fair and honest.

I merely noticed that you did what you criticized others of doing. I did not express the same ‘concern’ towards anonymous, because he did not label others’ comments as gossip

In honesty, I did not judge your comment to be gossip, I only pointed it out-as gossip, since you accused others of ‘gossiping’ when they made similar comments as you yourself did.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crissy
        I agree with your post above, however in regards to the example you are talking about (children falling off the swing etc) I believe it's a maternal instinct to run to the child regardless of nationality/religion.
        It is true that maternal instinct is universal because human, but I agree with sad_eyes: there exists cultural differences. For instance, when walking in the street, an Armenian mother - or woman - would feel discomfort when a child distances her by more than, let's say, 5-6; feet; while a European or American mother/woman would be quite comfortable with a much much larger distance.
        Last edited by Siamanto; 11-13-2005, 09:54 PM.
        What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

Comment

It is true that maternal instinct is universal because human, but I agree with sad_eyes: there exists cultural differences. For instance, when walking in the street, an Armenian mother - or woman - would feel discomfort when a child distances her by more than, let's say, 5-6; feet; while a European or American mother/woman would be quite comfortable with a much much larger distance.
          That's true as well. When shopping I often see kids who walk away from parents and the parents will just keep walking in their own direction without a care if and when the child will start following them.

However, we can't generalize, it depends what values and morals they have been taught.

Comment

I think that might be more a result of Western stoicism The culture and interpersonal relationships are dryer and a bit colder. This is why paretns incourage their kids to leave their homes and cities and persue their lives on their own. As soon as the kids leave, the parents have a sort of rebirth. They change the kids' rooms into something else. The result is the kids loose their connection to their origins. It's no surprise then that so many adults send their parents off to rest homes, like so much trash. Another example of this stoicism is the culture of truth at all costs. When a person is dieing in States, his family will usually tell he is dieing. As contrast, my grandfather didn't know till maybe last 2 weeks that he had deadly cancer. I'm not sure which is better or worse but those are the differences.

The other factor I think is overall selfishness (byproduct of individuality maybe) that is prevalent in the west. Spouses and parents and children are lot more self-absorbed and not willing to compomise. This is to a degree why marriages don't last very long in West. I've heard many times here in States how pregnant mothers would still drink and smoke. Even if it's in moderation, an Armenian mother would never even imagine to do something like that (at lest my mom's generation).
            Last edited by karoaper; 11-13-2005, 09:47 PM.

Comment

That's true as well. When shopping I often see kids who walk away from parents and the parents will just keep walking in their own direction without a care if and when the child will start following them.

However, we can't generalize, it depends what values and morals they have been taught.
              I almost died laughing when I saw a mother hold her kids on a leash. Here's another example of being selfish. She doesn't want to be bothered but probably doesn't want her kids to be lost. Solution: keep em on a leash.

Comment

• Originally posted by karoaper
                I almost died laughing when I saw a mother hold her kids on a leash. Here's another example of being selfish. She doesn't want to be bothered but probably doesn't want her kids to be lost. Solution: keep em on a leash.
                I know what you mean, when we first moved to Australia, you could say that I was shocked to see a child on a leash.

Although I don't agree with their methods (as in parents not being worried if their kids start walking away from them etc) but I guess it's their own way teaching children to be independent.

Comment

Everything is relative and probably never black and white; but, in average, there are some differences. It's about likelihood.

As for the example given by sad_eyes, an American mother may simply watch with calm if the child is not crying.
                  Last edited by Siamanto; 11-13-2005, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Everything is relative and probably never black and white; but, in average, there are some differences. It's about likelihood.

As for the example given by sad_eyes, an American mother may simply watch with calm if the child is not crying.
                    I agree with what you are saying, but it doesn't mean that they care for and love their child any less. So what if the kid fell off the swing, as long as they are not seriously hurt (in which case I doubt any mother would sit there and not do anything about it). As they say in Armenian "ke metsana ke morana" lol

Perhaps 10 or 20 years ago there would have been more differences between an Armenian woman and a non Armenian. These days, there is allot of western influence, so it all comes back to how they have been brought up.

I know of Armenian parents here, who are very careless when it comes to their children. But like you said it's all about likelihood.

Comment

• Agreed. It really comes down to the individual parent. Some parents lack parenting skills while others exceed in it. I just want to make this clear- I was not stating that armenian women are the only women on the planet that love and care about their childs needs. There are plenty of non armenian women who do love their children just as deeply. It really comes down to how the parents were raised. There is a saying-that children are a map of their parents. If a child when young is somewhat neglected from their parents they will grow to be like that. Children are like spounges. They absorb everything that they know when young and that helps to identify who they become. However this isnt always the case, yes. Some people who were neglected as a child grow to show alot more affection towards their children then those who were raised around constant love. It comes to what a person thinks is right and wrong. One parent may think that not comforting their child when hurt will make them a stronger individual, immune to pain, while others think that is foolishness and that loving them will help result in a more loving person. We all have different views as far as that is concerned, armenian or not. I know in my case, when I do have children that they will be my #1 priority and that I will make sure that they are raised well and always know how much I love them. Haha, I am going to be overprotective. I am not really sure if this is a good thing. But I already have many rules my children will abide by.
                      Last edited by sad_eyes; 11-14-2005, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X