Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Drinking 1 alcoholic beverage a day, raises risk for cancer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drinking 1 alcoholic beverage a day, raises risk for cancer

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...022402361.html

"A new study involving nearly 1.3 million middle-aged British women -- the largest ever to examine whether alcohol increases a woman's risk of cancer -- found that just one glass of chardonnay, a single beer or any other type of alcoholic drink per day poses a danger......"

"...In fact, many previous studies have found that alcohol appears to increase the risk of breast cancer, and that heavy drinking could make men and women prone to other cancers as well. The new study is a large-scale attempt to explore all cancer risks posed by more typical drinking levels and a spectrum of alcoholic beverages...."

"....Even among women who consumed as little as 10 grams of alcohol a day on average -- the equivalent of about one drink -- the risk for cancer of the breast, liver and rectum was elevated, the researchers found...."

"....Based on the findings, the researchers estimated that about 5 percent of all cancers diagnosed in women each year in the United States is due to low to moderate alcohol consumption. Most are breast cancers, with drinking accounting for 11 percent of cases -- about 20,000 extra cases each year -- the researchers estimated..."

"...Allen plans to do another analysis of data from the study to try to determine whether the net risks from cancer outweigh any heart benefits..."

Re: Drinking 1 alcoholic beverage a day, raises risk for cancer

Drink wine to prevent and cause cancer at the same time and also to have a healthier heart.
    this post = teh win.

Comment

This doesn't mean that the drinking has anything to do with it... There's an association. There could be a 3rd variable related to both cancer and drinking. Perhaps people who drink regularly are also engaged in other behaviors that can raise risk.

The news coverage of research articles is horrible. They make inferences that the authors were cautious not to make and they pull stuff out of context. I have access to this journal, but it has not been published yet. It'd be interesting to see how much they misrepresented.
      [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
      -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

This is a very generic and superficial description of the research... also UK is not a best place for analysis, as on average, people there have unhealthy diets and when they drink wine at all (meaning not beer, whiskey etc), it is often not of good quality. It would be interesting to see a similar research done in a wine-making country with strong wine drinking tradition, as it is known to be that fact that strong alcohol and wine are very different not just by how they are digested, but also by consumption culture.

Comment

Originally posted by Sip View Post
          Drink wine to prevent and cause cancer at the same time and also to have a healthier heart.
          Sip I have heard that
          It's true.
          Positive vibes, positive taught

Comment

Originally posted by PepsiAddict View Post
            Sip I have heard that
            It's true.
            Aaah yes... Pipi is the dipstick of accuracy.
            [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”

Comment

Siggie what's with the insults.
              You can't rest until you insult me.

I don't even talk to you but yet you have to say something & then you tell me I'm starting it again.
              Positive vibes, positive taught

Comment

Originally posted by PepsiAddict View Post
                Siggie what's with the insults.
                You can't rest until you insult me.

I don't even talk to you but yet you have to say something & then you tell me I'm starting it again.
                I didn't insult you. I said you are the dipstick of accuracy because you said you heard about it so it's true. If pepi heard it = true, thus dipstick.

You HAVE to reply to any thread possible with a worthless non-contributing comment. Yes, that's going to annoy people and they are going to call you it. Deal with it and stop complaining or change your ways and make more of a contribution to the forum. Contrary to your belief, that's not measured by post count.

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
                  This doesn't mean that the drinking has anything to do with it... There's an association. There could be a 3rd variable related to both cancer and drinking. Perhaps people who drink regularly are also engaged in other behaviors that can raise risk.
                  Yes there is likely a 3rd variable for many, and other behaviors like binge drinking, is said to come with a much higher risk. But the study said at just 8oz a day, there are risks, so even a casual drinker is at risk, although it is much more minimal.

Originally posted by Alina View Post
                  This is a very generic and superficial description of the research... also UK is not a best place for analysis, as on average, people there have unhealthy diets and when they drink wine at all (meaning not beer, whiskey etc), it is often not of good quality. It would be interesting to see a similar research done in a wine-making country with strong wine drinking tradition, as it is known to be that fact that strong alcohol and wine are very different not just by how they are digested, but also by consumption culture.
                  that's bs. 1 it has nothing to do with just wine, it's any consumable product that contains alcohol. Also saying better quality wine comes with less risk is absurd. It's like saying if you smoke better quality cigarettes you won't develop lung cancer.

I would instead like to see cross studies of people in societies that do not consume alcohol, ie mormons, muslims, ultra baptists, etc

Originally posted by Sip View Post
                  yes thats true polyphenols and resveratrol help prevent cancer, but the alcohol does not. But both can come to human consumption by other means, and the amount of reservatrol in wine is minimal, you'd have to drink a lot to get the benefits.

I don't think this study is off and I don't know why it's surprising, this information been around for awhile

Here is a bit from an article from the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism from 1993
                  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Alcohol and Cancer

Cancer kills an estimated 526,000 Americans yearly, second only to heart disease (1). Cancers of the lung, large bowel, and breast are the most common in the United States. Considerable evidence suggests a connection between heavy alcohol consumption and increased risk for cancer, with an estimated 2 to 4 percent of all cancer cases thought to be caused either directly or indirectly by alcohol (2).

A strong association exists between alcohol use and cancers of the esophagus, pharynx, and mouth, whereas a more controversial association links alcohol with liver, breast, and colorectal cancers. Together, these cancers kill more than 125,000 people annually in the United States (1)."

here were there sources listed for the excerpt

(1) American Cancer Society. Cancer Facts and Figures. Atlanta, GA: American Cancer Society, 1993.
                  (2) Rothman, K.J. The proportion of cancer attributable to alcohol consumption. Preventive Medicine 9(2):174-179, 1980.

The page you are trying to reach has either moved or cannot be found on the NIAAA website. You may be able to find the information you need by using the search form above or visiting the Site Map. If you cannot find what you are looking for, please contact us.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And yes while it said heavy alcohol consumption, that was 16 years ago, there's been more findings since then.
                  Last edited by ara87; 03-25-2009, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X