Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Rising number of unvaccinated children in California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rising number of unvaccinated children in California

Thanks Siggie. I asked because the criticism of vaccines I have come across were not made by laymen, but by doctors who had studied the topic for years. I should add, much of the criticism was not that they cause autism, but that the vaccines themselves are useless because one, it does not prevent outbreaks, and two, many of these diseases such as measles and whooping cough were already in decline by over 90% by the time the vaccines for them were introduced. There have also been many cases, as you probably know, of vaccines being overloaded with mercury many times over the safety limit or other substances in vaccines which caused other illnesses, which have been exposed by doctors and patients whose children recieved permanent damage from them. Some claim these are honest mistakes, others suspect a more systematic nature. Also, some of the autism claims that I have read were made by actual doctors. But I will check out whatever medical information I can get my hands on.

But either way I cannot grasp the logic behind the flu shot. The flu is something your body needs to go through every now and then so that your immune system gets practice and upgrades its defenses. I can understand the argument to give your kids shots for serious diseases (I've recieved these vaccines as well), but for the flu, its a bit much. The flu is more like a symptom that you are not taking care of your health.

Comment

I would check those doctors credentials and the basis on which they raise criticism. If they are just making the claim based on anecdotal evidence, then that's not worth anything.
      From what I have read, the levels of mercury are safe and not associated with any harm. Some of the articles I cited looked for a connection between mercury and several illnesses and didn't find a link. It should be pretty easy to find any one of them from the given references.

Infants can die of the flu, so there is an influenze shot that they do recommend for babies.
      As far as adults, there are some populations with compromised immune systems (Elderly, AIDS, other immune issues, etc) who are at risk of being hospitalized for dying from the flu. It's not just a cold exactly. Thousands die of the flu each year.
      So, for these people it is better to give them a vaccine consisting of a weakened strain of the disease to allow them better defense again a potentially very serious illness.
      [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
      -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Infants wouldn't have weak immune systems if they were raised naturally by mother's milk instead of the artificial methods of feeding that are chosen to be used in by many mothers. Mother's milk contains what controls viral and bacterial infections in the baby's initial months. Immunizing babies for the flu is absurdly ridiculous. I'm with ArmSurvival on that one.

Thousands don't die of the flu, they die from having a weak immune system. The flu usually leads to an onset of pneumonia and/or other ailments.

Overuse of vaccines and antibiotics have allowed viruses to mutate. Think of it like a computer virus where one person writes code to make the virus and the other person writes code kill the virus. It's an endless cycle where the virus just needs to change a little so that the vaccine is no longer effective. The virus's sole purpose is to survive like any other organism. If the influenza shot was effective against building lasting immunity against the virus, you would only need to get the shot once. Oddly enough, a different strain of the flu is constantly brewing from the depths of the earth and miraculously there is a new flu shot before every flu season to fight the new strain before it starts spreading among the population. HOW DO THEY DO IT. The best self defense against flu's is your bodies natural immune system. Take care of it and it will take care of you.

And if you get flu shots because the experts claim thousands die of the flu, just remember tens of thousands die in car crashes each year.

But as far as the other time proven vaccine's go... GET YOUR CHILDREN VACCINATED.
        Last edited by KanadaHye; 04-03-2009, 12:46 PM.
        "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Once again Dre, you speak without knowing what you are talking about.

Haemophilus influenzae type b and Influenza are among the shots that are recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics and given to most infants. In the case of Influenza vaccine it is given after 6 months old.

What do car accidents have to do with it? Hundreds of people are struck and killed by lightening so you don't have to wear a seatbelt in the car. That's about the extent of your logic.

What you describe is how viruses survive. Yeah, they mutate, but they do so even if we don't create vaccines.
          They recommend the vaccine for people who are greatest risk if they get it as a way to boost their immunity. Are you telling me you're just going to tell your frail old grandma, good luck Medsmam, hope it doesn't kill you this season and if it does oh well it's your immune system's fault?
          [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”

Comment

Please tell me what it is that I overlooked other than your unrelated reference to overuse of antibiotics (which I actually agree with btw).

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
              Once again Dre, you speak without knowing what you are talking about.

Haemophilus influenzae type b and Influenza are among the shots that are recommended by the American Pediatric Association and given to most infants. In the case of Influenza vaccine it is given after 6 months old.

What do car accidents have to do with it? Hundreds of people are struck and killed by lightening so you don't have to wear a seatbelt in the car. That's about the extent of your logic.

What you describe is how viruses survive. Yeah, they mutate, but they do so even if we don't create vaccines.
              They recommend the vaccine for people who are greatest risk if they get it as a way to boost their immunity. Are you telling me you're just going to tell your frail old grandma, good luck Medsmam, hope it doesn't kill you this season and if it does oh well it's your immune system's fault?
              My frail old Grandma told the doctor to give the shot to someone who needs it. She didn't have the media dictating to her what to do.
              "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
                My frail old Grandma told the doctor to give the shot to someone who needs it. She didn't have the media dictating to her what to do.
                The media or doctors/scientists? Instead you and your Grandma rely on what? Common sense? Because that can't possibly lead you astray.

If you are at risk for respiratory complications if you do get the flu and the flu vaccine is safe and reduces your chances of getting it by 80%, why in the world would you not get it?

Healthy adults who get the vaccine do it because they just don't want to get the flu. Who can blame them for not wanting to be miserable for nearly a week and miss work because of it?

Do you actually subscribe to these beliefs or do you just look for opportunities to disagree with me for the sake of disagreeing?

And by the way... I think you know I'm not in medical school, so how is it that I'm spewing out what I've been taught (basically regurgitating) from classes I've never taken and you're somehow doing something different (presumably thinking)?

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
                  The media or doctors/scientists? Instead you and your Grandma rely on what? Common sense? Because that can't possibly lead you astray.

If you are at risk for respiratory complications if you do get the flu and the flu vaccine is safe and reduces your chances of getting it by 80%, why in the world would you not get it?

Healthy adults who get the vaccine do it because they just don't want to get the flu. Who can blame them for not wanting to be miserable for nearly a week and miss work because of it?

Do you actually subscribe to these beliefs or do you just look for opportunities to disagree with me for the sake of disagreeing?

And by the way... I think you know I'm not in medical school, so how is it that I'm spewing out what I've been taught (basically regurgitating) from classes I've never taken and you're somehow doing something different (presumably thinking)?
                  Damnit, you're catching on... lol. Seriously though Siggie, I don't get the flu shot and most people I know don't get it either. I just rely on what I was born with. Seems to work for me.

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
                    Damnit, you're catching on... lol. Seriously though Siggie, I don't get the flu shot and most people I know don't get it either. I just rely on what I was born with. Seems to work for me.
                    You have a healthy immune system Dre... There's a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmSurvival View Post
                      But either way I cannot grasp the logic behind the flu shot. The flu is something your body needs to go through every now and then so that your immune system gets practice and upgrades its defenses. I can understand the argument to give your kids shots for serious diseases (I've recieved these vaccines as well), but for the flu, its a bit much. The flu is more like a symptom that you are not taking care of your health.
                      The problem is you and many others don't really understand how vaccines work. I am by no means an immunologist or even in the medical fields (I do know a bit about computer viruses though ). But the way vaccines work is to fool your body into producing the immunities you need to fight the actual virus without getting you sick. The reason you then don't get sick after a vaccine is that in fact you do have the immunity!

So this whole argument that I need to get sick to build immunity isn't really a wise one with respect to trying to argue against vaccines. On the other hand, I certainly don't believe we should become paranoid germo-phobes and try to prevent ANY and ALL sort of sicknesses at any cost. I personally don't bother with the flu shot either since I haven't really gotten a serious flu for a long time anyway. But at the same time, I can definitely see a HUGE difference in quality of life with modern medicine and vaccinations compared to what humanity had to endure before.
                      Last edited by Sip; 04-03-2009, 01:31 PM.
                      this post = teh win.

Comment

Working...
                      X