Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Global Warming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Global Warming

They didnt hunt with guns for centuries smartypants plus they only hunted for food and fur not money and sport.
    Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Hunting is hunting.... surviving is surviving. Whether it's the monetary system or the bartering system, we need each other to survive. The Hudson Bay Company better known as the HBC in Canada is the oldest commercial corporation in North America and is one of the oldest in the world dating back to the 1600's. They were the biggest land owners in the world at one time and made their riches off of the fur trade. People just go shopping at the malls and department stores but have no clue who or what entities are behind these multibillion dollar businesses who now sit back and force policies on the little people who are just trying to survive from day to day.
      "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
        Hunting is hunting.... surviving is surviving. Whether it's the monetary system or the bartering system, we need each other to survive. The Hudson Bay Company better known as the HBC in Canada is the oldest commercial corporation in North America and is one of the oldest in the world dating back to the 1600's. They were the biggest land owners in the world at one time and made their riches off of the fur trade. People just go shopping at the malls and department stores but have no clue who or what entities are behind these multibillion dollar businesses who now sit back and force policies on the little people who are just trying to survive from day to day.
        You won't be hunting very long if you kill off the hunted animal completely. The eskimos took only what they needed to eat and stay warm and that demand was not catastrophic on the polar bears population but if a eskimo wants to pay off his new house or gambling dept by killing a bunch of polar bears he will take more bears then nature can replenish=extinction. Thousends of animals have gone extinct because of human activity and the polarbear is the largest land carnivore left on earth, i hope it will survive this climate event.
        Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
          You won't be hunting very long if you kill off the hunted animal completely. The eskimos took only what they needed to eat and stay warm and that demand was not catastrophic on the polar bears population but if a eskimo wants to pay off his new house or gambling dept by killing a bunch of polar bears he will take more bears then nature can replenish=extinction. Thousends of animals have gone extinct because of human activity and the polarbear is the largest land carnivore left on earth, i hope it will survive this climate event.
          I'm sure the polar bears near or around Siberia in Russia will do fine. Like you said, humans are the only threat to these animals because I believe nature can adapt to changes in climate more than we give it credit for. Animals are extremely intelligent when it comes to survival, more than I can say for some humans.
          "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
            I'm sure the polar bears near or around Siberia in Russia will do fine. Like you said, humans are the only threat to these animals because I believe nature can adapt to changes in climate more than we give it credit for. Animals are extremely intelligent when it comes to survival, more than I can say for some humans.
            Nah man thats not true. Man is one of the most adaptable of them all. The problem with the polar bear is that if it cannot hunt on ice it is doomed. Unlike the grizzlys and blackbears which are omnivours (eat plants and meat) polar bears are true carnivours they live only on meat. Meat to sustain this bear in the arctic only exists in the ocean but it cannot catch seals and whales and walrus by swiming, it needs ice to ambush breathing holes. They have been adapting by hunting walrus in groups (unheard of till now) but this is not enoughf their numbers are still falling.
            Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
              Nah man thats not true. Man is one of the most adaptable of them all. The problem with the polar bear is that if it cannot hunt on ice it is doomed. Unlike the grizzlys and blackbears which are omnivours (eat plants and meat) polar bears are true carnivours they live only on meat. Meat to sustain this bear in the arctic only exists in the ocean but it cannot catch seals and whales and walrus by swiming, it needs ice to ambush breathing holes. They have been adapting by hunting walrus in groups (unheard of till now) but this is not enoughf their numbers are still falling.
              The one advantage the polar bear does have is that it doesn't hibernate in the same sense that grizzlys and blackbears do. The males are constantly out roaming and the females somewhat hibernate in their dens with the cubs. Like most animals, when their environment feels unsafe, they begin migrating. So I believe they can adapt to the changes in climate fairly well and don't need human intervention or film makers from animal planet disturbing their peace to do so. They just need to be left alone in their dens while raising their cubs. I wish the government would leave me alone

Anyways, this is going off topic from the global warming discussion, but strangely enough I just came across this arcticle that discusses how new scientific efforts are underway in Nunavut to develop less invasive ways of surveying polar bears, addressing Inuit concerns about the physical handling of bears. Basically they are going back to the archaic way of counting the bears aerially. See, the Inuit care about the bears... that is part of their world.

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2...r-surveys.html

Last edited by KanadaHye; 09-18-2009, 09:24 AM.

Comment

This is not going off topic. Leaving them alone will not bring back their food supply either. If you cant eat you die. The polar bear does not eat anything but meat and it cannot catch deer/moose like wolves do, plus there are non of these animals where polar bears live anyways. The arctic is full of nothingness and the only source of food is the sea. Polarbears cannot evolve finns overnight and chase their prey underwater. This is a excellent example of how global warming effects life on earth so how is this off-topic?
                Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Climate Gate Scandal.... I guess an "I told you so" is in order

Why You Should Be Hot and Bothered About 'Climate-gate'

Science depends on good quality of data. It also relies on replication and sharing data. But the last couple of days have uncovered some shocking revelations. Computer hackers have obtained 160 megabytes of e-mails from the Climate Research Unit at the University of East Anglia in England. These e-mails, which have now been confirmed as real, involved many researchers across the globe with ideologically similar advocates around the world. They were brazenly discussing the destruction and hiding of data that did not support global warming claims. The academics here also worked closely with the U.N.'s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

Professor Phil Jones, the head of the Climate Research Unit, and Professor Michael Mann at Pennsylvania State University, who has been an important scientist in the climate debate, have come under particular scrutiny. Among his e-mails, Professor Jones talks to Professor Mann about the "trick of adding in the real temps to each series...to hide the decline [in temperature]." Professor Mann admitted that this was the exchange that he had and explained to the New York Times that "scientists often used the word 'trick' to refer to a good way to solve a problem, 'and not something secret.'" While the New York Times apparently buys this explanation, it is hard to see the explanation for "to hide the decline."

And there is a lot more. In another exchange, Professor Jones tells Professor Mann: "If they ever hear there is a Freedom of Information Act now in the UK, I think I’ll delete the file rather than send to anyone" and "We also have a data protection act, which I will hide behind." Professor Jones further urges Professor Mann to join him in deleting e-mail exchanges about the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change’s controversial assessment report: "Can you delete any e-mails you may have had with Keith re: [the IPCC's Fourth Assessment Report]?" In another e-mail, Professor Jones told Professor Mann and Professor Malcolm Hughes at the University of Arizona and Raymond S. "Ray" Bradley at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst: "I'm getting hassled by a couple of people to release the CRU station temperature data. Don’t any of you three tell anybody that the UK has a Freedom of Information Act!"

Professor Jones complains to another academic: "I did get an e-mail from the FOI person here early yesterday to tell me I shouldn’t be deleting e-mails" and "IPCC is an international organization, so is above any national FOI. Even if UEA holds anything about IPCC, we are not obliged to pass it on." We only have e-mails from Professor Jones' institution, and, with his obvious approach to delete files; we have no idea what damaging information has been lost.

Another professor at the Climate Research Unit, Tim Osborn, discusses in e-mails how truncating a data series can hide a cooling trend that would otherwise be seen in the results. Professor Mann sent Professor Osborn an e-mail saying that the results he is sending shouldn't be shown to others because the results support critics of global warming. Time after time the discussions refer to hiding or destroying data.

Other global warming advocates also privately acknowledge what they won’t concede publicly, that temperature changes haven’t been consistent with their models. Dr. Kevin Trenberth, the head of the Climate Analysis Section at the National Center for Atmospheric Research and prominent man-made global warming advocate, wrote in an e-mail: “The fact is we can’t account for the lack of warming at the moment and it is a travesty that we can’t.”

There were also been discussions to silence academic journals that publish research skeptical of significant man-made global warming. Professor Mann wrote: "I think we have to stop considering 'Climate Research' as a legitimate peer-reviewed journal. Perhaps we should encourage our colleagues in the climate research community to no longer submit to, or cite papers in, this journal." Other emails refer to efforts to exclude contrary views from publication in scientific journals. Pat Michaels, a climate scientist at the Cato Institute, told The Wall Street Journal: "This is what everyone feared. Over the years, it has become increasingly difficult for anyone who does not view global warming as an end-of-the-world issue to publish papers. This isn't questionable practice, this is unethical."

The New York Times argues: "The documents appear to have been acquired illegally and contain all manner of private information and statements that were never intended for the public eye, so they won’t be posted here." -- This from the same news organization that regularly publishes classified government documents! Yet, these e-mails were covered by England's Freedom of Information Act and should have been released when they were requested. Hiding data, destroying information, and doctoring their results raise real questions about many American academics at universities such as Pennsylvania State University, University of Arizona, and University of Massachusetts at Amherst. When at all possible available data must be shared.

Usually academic research is completely ignored by the general public but in this case proposed regulations, costing trillions of dollars, are being based on many of these claimed research results. This coordinated campaign to hide scientific information appears unprecedented.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2009/...ls-copenhagen/

Comment

For you Kanada

Get the Digital Files Here!http://tinyurl.com/2446detI took the popular Christmas Carol, The Twelve Days of Christmas and "Greened" it up a bit.Check out our...

Comment

Global warming is very real gang. We used to get snow in november here in southern michigan and in december we had safe ice on the local lakes. It has been a loong time since we last icefished in december due to unsafe or no ice and there has not been any snow during the hunting season for a decade now. The lakes used to start freezing over in november and we often had snow for hunting seasons befor, allowing us to track our prey. For the younger people it may not be noticeable but the climate has changed big time-there is no dought about it and outdoorsmen like me can see the difference better then most.
                      Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Working...
                      X