Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

We're all mutants, say scientists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: We're all mutants, say scientists

Originally posted by Crimson Glow View Post
    So.....you rely on people who blindly believe something, simply because they were born into a culture that subscribes to that same belief, to decipher what is "correct information"?

Yes, I believe they're called inbred rednecks, and people from 3rd world countries who still believe in superstition due to a lack of education. Questioning findings and results through logical and rational means is one thing, but saying "I don't believe in science" is about as ignorant as saying "I don't believe in dinosaurs". Sure, you're free to make such a statement, but you have to understand that it indicates to others that you have the intellect and mental capacity of Albert Einstein's stool.
    Can you please tell the rednecks who design and build our structures to include the 13th floor on highrises. Excluding the number doesn't mean there isn't a 13th floor. I think you're insulting 3rd world countries which seem to be raising more doctors, engineers and properly educated folk than our so called 1st world.
    "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
      Pepsi should be banned from posting in the Science forum...

You don't believe in science? It's not a freaking unicorn or the tooth fairy.
      Do you use a computer, watch tv, go to the doctor when you're sick, drive a car, vaccinate your dog, take medication, listen to the weather forecast, eat food (I know you do this one... it's nearly all you post about), etc? Then like science or not, practically everything you take for granted in life was made possible by the science and scientists you don't trust or believe in. Science is evidence based and religion, faith based... Hmm... Which stands on shakier ground?
      Hold on here.... you're attributing things to science that were discovered or invented by people before they called themselves scientists. And I think Pepsi has a right to say that there is a lot of fraud, speculation and misguidance in the science community just like any other discipline.
      "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
        Hold on here.... you're attributing things to science that were discovered or invented by people before they called themselves scientists. And I think Pepsi has a right to say that there is a lot of fraud, speculation and misguidance in the science community just like any other discipline.
        I don't care if they called themselves bananas; so long as what they were doing was science and how it's worked on since involves science, that's what it is.
        There is a LOT? Even if I concede that, there's really no comparison to fraud and speculation going on in religion.
        [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
        -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
          I don't care if they called themselves bananas; so long as what they were doing was science and how it's worked on since involves science, that's what it is.
          There is a LOT? Even if I concede that, there's really no comparison to fraud and speculation going on in religion.
          When a child is first able to reach the light switch and flip it in one direction and realize the light turns on and then flip it in the other direction and conclude that the light turns off, he/she is performing a scientific experiment. In the old days they just called it common knowledge or common sense, something that is lacking in society today because everyone is so self absorbed and individualized. This is also the reason why it's so easy to profit off today's society in which many are so quick to believe anything they see or hear.

If you read the article, it says that the study came from speculation back in 1935 and is just now being confirmed because technology has allowed for it.

All these articles seem to be written in a dumbed down fashion. You want to talk about captain obvious....

"The amount of data we generated would have been unimaginable just a few years ago. " no xxxx sherlock

"And finding this tiny number of mutations was more difficult than finding an ant's egg in an emperor's rice store."

Comment

There is one God, his name is FSM and Captian Mosey is his Messnger, Dre, Pepsi by posting these messages you are insulting my religion, based on my Eight I Really Rather You Didn'ts, please be respectful to my noodly appendage.

That said,
            Siggie is right calling those inventions science as they are made using scientific methods and science related inventions (car made by discovery and scientific research into chemical energy, medicine by medical science, etc)

And science is quite an old word, I'd recommend consulting some Old French or Roman sources

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro Xaramillo View Post
              There is one God, his name is FSM and Captian Mosey is his Messnger, Dre, Pepsi by posting these messages you are insulting my religion, based on my Eight I Really Rather You Didn'ts, please be respectful to my noodly appendage.

That said,
              Siggie is right calling those inventions science as they are made using scientific methods and science related inventions (car made by discovery and scientific research into chemical energy, medicine by medical science, etc)

And science is quite an old word, I'd recommend consulting some Old French or Roman sources
              Medicine was also practiced in ancient egypt.... an extremely old civilization which would have probably laughed at the general level of intelligence today. I can't wait to become a teenaged mutant ninja turtle.

Comment

If you read the article, it says that the study came from speculation back in 1935 and is just now being confirmed because technology has allowed for it.

All these articles seem to be written in a dumbed down fashion. You want to talk about captain obvious....

"The amount of data we generated would have been unimaginable just a few years ago. " no xxxx sherlock

"And finding this tiny number of mutations was more difficult than finding an ant's egg in an emperor's rice store."
                There are lots of questions asked which took years or centuries to begin to answer. That's not a criticism of science.

These articles are not written by the scientists. They are written by journalists, the vast majority of whom have no science training. They are written also for the general public who is not science literate either. They get lots of things wrong and it's out of ignorance usually. But this is an issue because science literacy is unacceptably low among the general public, precisely because of ignorant attitudes about science by the likes of PA.
                [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”

Comment

When a child is first able to reach the light switch and flip it in one direction and realize the light turns on and then flip it in the other direction and conclude that the light turns off, he/she is performing a scientific experiment. In the old days they just called it common knowledge or common sense, something that is lacking in society today because everyone is so self absorbed and individualized. This is also the reason why it's so easy to profit off today's society in which many are so quick to believe anything they see or hear.

Much of what you call common knowledge has been proven false by science, for example psychology research has proven that opposits do not attract when it comes to relationships. Common knowledge is often contradictory and needs science to settle the issue. People said birds of a feather flock togather but they also said opposites attract but actual scientific research revieled that birds of a feather do indeed flock togather (not literaly) and that opposites do not attract in regards to relationships. With science you can actually prove or disprove things and this is what makes it useful.
                  Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
                    Much of what you call common knowledge has been proven false by science, for example psychology research has proven that opposits do not attract when it comes to relationships. Common knowledge is often contradictory and needs science to settle the issue. People said birds of a feather flock togather but they also said opposites attract but actual scientific research revieled that birds of a feather do indeed flock togather (not literaly) and that opposites do not attract in regards to relationships. With science you can actually prove or disprove things and this is what makes it useful.
                    Taking relationship advice from a bunch of nerds in lab coats locked in a lab all day is pretty much like taking psychic advice from Madame Cleo. I know you were just using this as an example but this is what I mean by taking everything that is published and carving it into stone. Science is also contradictory because the research is sometimes bias due to funding by a political group. For example, if you were a manufacturer of baby formula, would you actually want the word to get out that the best food for a new born is mother's milk? Perhaps baby formula cause allergies, etc. Who would fund such a study? Just imagine the loss in revenue if something like that became publicized by the media even if it were true. Even with totally unbiased studies, as times change, technology improves and different results may become evident than previously thought.

Comment

Science by definition is not carved in stone. We constantly revise as new data is gathered. What he said was not relationship advice. He simply said "opposites attract" is untrue. People that are more similar tend to be attracted (don't mean physically) to each other, for friendships and relationships. If you don't want to apply any of the findings from science, that's up to you. But in general, science's information/answers although constantly subject to revision, are going to be better than anecdotes and intuition.

Comment

Working...
                      X