Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Water on the Moon!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water on the Moon!

Originally posted by Phil Plait

NASA finds reservoir of water ice on the Moon!
    submit to reddit . .

LCROSSNASA has found a significant amount of water ice on the Moon!

Holy Haleakala!

On October 9, the LCROSS spacecraft watched as a Centaur rocket booster slammed into the south pole of the Moon, hoping to determine if any water ice exists under the lunar surface. The idea is that over millions of years, comet impacts and other events have brought water to the Moon. Most of it goes away over time, but if any water happens to accumulate at the bottoms of craters at the poles, where the Sun never shines, it can stay put, frozen forever in shadow. By impacting a spacecraft into the Moon, it can eject the ice where it gets hit by raw sunlight. The water breaks down in to hydrogen and a hydroxyl molecule (OH-), which can be directly detected.

The target crater, Cabeus, has a temperature on its floor of -230 Celsius, cold enough to store ice. The Centaur slammed into it at high speed, making a new crater about 20 meters across and splashing debris over an even bigger area. A plume went up and out of the crater, and it was that tower of ejected material that had the telltale signs of water. The infrared spectrometer on LCROSS definitely detected absorption lines from water, and the ultraviolet spectrometer saw it in emission. Not only that, the emission got stronger with time, which clinches the deal! That’s exactly what you expect by a plume containing water.

Wow.

The amount of water they found in the plume was a couple of hundred kilograms in total, but that indicates there is a lot more still lying on the surface. They don’t know how much exactly just yet; NASA wanted to release this news as soon as they were sure they had definite results, but there is still much to do. Where did this water come from? How long has it been there? How accessible is it to future astronauts? These questions and more will, hopefully, be answered in the coming weeks as months as the data are analyzed more thoroughly. So stay tuned. There’s lots more good news to come!
    Source
    [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
    -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Re: Water on the Moon!

that is pretty cool Siggie, thanks.

Comment

That water not having seen sunlight in Billions of years is more interesting to me than the actual water itself. It gives it a sort of Time-Capsule-Ish feel. Also, I think it sucks how this isn't bigger news. Doesn't it feel like the whole world should be talking about it a lot more than it is?

Comment

Originally posted by Muhaha View Post
        That water not having seen sunlight in Billions of years is more interesting to me than the actual water itself. It gives it a sort of Time-Capsule-Ish feel. Also, I think it sucks how this isn't bigger news. Doesn't it feel like the whole world should be talking about it a lot more than it is?
        Not really, I just walk over to the sink, turn on the tap and gallons of water pours out.

Let me get this straight... NASA errr I mean Northrop Grumman Corporation (which also happens to be the largest military and defense company) was able to crash a satellite into a specific crater on the moon. This impact (which was not an explosion) was able to create a mushroom cloud big enough to send debris out of the crater and over into the sunny side of the moon where (and hold your breath) then the debris broke down into elements as it came into contact with sunlight in which hydroxide ions (not water) were detected by a probe left behind by the satellite that was able to fly thought the large cloud of debris. This was all done remotely, and certainly no help from the fact that the gravity on the moon is 1/6 of that of Earth due to the magnetic forces that keeps the moon perfectly in orbit.

Had this been a military exercise by a foreign military, they would have seen a mushroom cloud followed by a crater aimed at their "research facilities" for trying to advance themselves militarily
        "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
          Not really, I just walk over to the sink, turn on the tap and gallons of water pours out.

Let me get this straight... NASA errr I mean Northrop Grumman Corporation (which also happens to be the largest military and defense company) was able to crash a satellite into a specific crater on the moon. This impact (which was not an explosion) was able to create a mushroom cloud big enough to send debris out of the crater and over into the sunny side of the moon where (and hold your breath) then the debris broke down into elements as it came into contact with sunlight in which hydroxide ions (not water) were detected by a probe left behind by the satellite that was able to fly thought the large cloud of debris. This was all done remotely, and certainly no help from the fact that the gravity on the moon is 1/6 of that of Earth due to the magnetic forces that keeps the moon perfectly in orbit.

Had this been a military exercise by a foreign military, they would have seen a mushroom cloud followed by a crater aimed at their "research facilities" for trying to advance themselves militarily
          They did it with a moving meteor so I am sure they could do it with the moon. But it doesn't matter because NASA's budget is drastically retracted since the moon landings. Where is the funding going? Iraq, Turkey, Israel...most likely all three. Whereas in China the space budget increases year by year. It's only a matter of time till the world's space program is run from China, and NASA is turned into a Museum to fund the war in Iraq.
          Last edited by hipeter924; 11-14-2009, 07:13 AM.

Comment

I guess in few weeks we’re going to have bottled moon water made in USA by NASA.

Comment

Why the hell was my post erased?
              Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
                Why the hell was my post erased?
                There is a conspiracy to silence those that say the moon landing was a conspiracy because people don't believe in conspiracies
                "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Thats bullxxxx, there is plenty of evidence that it didnt happen and none that it did. The moderating here just blows. Open racists are allowed to spew their venom for weeks before something is done about it yet here they erase legitimate posts with legitimate criticism. Not that i expect perfection from anyone but this is nutts.
                  Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Right on...............fire off a projectile at one of the moon craters blasting off debris and taking a spectroanalysis to look for crystallized material from a spacecraft (in this case water, which can equate to fuel).

I am strong believer that moon must be used as a launching platform to Mars.
                    B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Working...
                    X