Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Gegard Mousasi - Armenian MMA out of Europe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gegard Mousasi - Armenian MMA out of Europe

Rising star generally goes unnoticed in his hometown in Netherlands, but that may not last long if he fights against Viktor Belfort in January 2009 at Affliction at the Honda Center in Anaheim.

Five weeks have passed since the biggest night of Gegard Mousasi’s young career, and the toasted middleweight awaits his next assignment in Japan on New Year’s Eve or a possible U.S. debut for Affliction in January

Mousasi Bumps to 205, New Year’s or Affliction Next
    Options: Email Article | Printer Friendly
    Thursday, October 16, 2008
    by Tim Leidecker ([email protected])

Five weeks have passed since the biggest night of Gegard Mousasi’s young career, and the toasted middleweight awaits his next assignment in Japan on New Year’s Eve or a possible U.S. debut for Affliction in January, though he’s asking for a bout in the light heavyweight division.

At Dream’s middleweight grand prix finals on Sept. 23 in Tokyo, the 23-year-old kickboxer needed just 3:43 to submit Dutch nemesis Melvin Manhoef and knock out Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza, considered the world’s best jiu-jitsu player at 183 pounds. That was 3:43 combined, mind you.

After a quick seminar and his attendance at the seventh edition of the M-1 Challenge in England, the Iran-born Armenian’s feat is just now soaking in for him.

“I have only just realized what I have achieved,” the adopted Dutchman told Sherdog.com. “It’s nice to get some attention now after fighting in all those different organizations. In order to stay on top I will have to continue beating a lot of good fighters, so I have to stay focused and train hard. I am still very hungry, so that shouldn’t be a problem.”

Mousasi’s semifinal bout with countryman Manhoef was a battle for appreciation and respect. Choosing to train outside of the famous Dutch kickboxing gyms, Mousasi felt a lack of love and recognition from the fans there.

“Beating Melvin really felt good, because I had openly challenged him many times and obviously I didn't want to lose face,” he said. “I really wanted to prove to the Dutch fans that I am also one of the better mixed martial arts fighters out of Holland and there’s no better way to do that than beat a guy who is as loved and admired over here as Manhoef.”

With Kang, Manhoef and Jacare out of the way, the grand prix king has nearly cleaned out the Dream middleweight division. The obvious question arises: Who is left for him to fight in Japan?

“There are plenty of good middleweight fighters in Japan, but Akiyama is the only big name left in Dream that I haven’t fought yet,” he said. “Unfortunately for me, he is dead set on fighting [Hidehiko] Yoshida on New Year’s Eve and that leaves me on the outside looking in.”

As a result, Mousasi (24-2-1) said he and his team decided to move up a division the day after Dream 6.

“There is no reason to push me to the 185-pound limit anymore,” he said. “It just isn’t healthy for me to stay at middleweight. Instead I will let my body grow and get bigger and heavier.”

The “Young Vagabond” had plans to move up to the light heavyweight division all along. After an easy first-round TKO over Brazilian slugger Evangelista “Cyborg” Santos at the now defunct Canadian promotion Hardcore Championship Fighting in February, Mousasi was originally looking to fight Santos’ compatriot Antonio Rogerio Nogueira at an HCF show in late spring or early summer. That was when Dream came calling and invited him to join the tournament.

A rumored bout with former UFC standout Vitor Belfort is still a very real option for Affliction’s Jan. 24 return to the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif. Belfort, who recently dropped into the middleweight ranks himself, took out Terry Martin with an impressive second-round knockout at Affliction “Banned” last July.

“My manager has good contacts with Affliction and he said that there may be the possibility for me to fight Vitor in the United States,” said Mousasi. “I really want to fight for Affliction, but I still have a commitment with Dream, so I don’t know exactly which show I will be competing at next –- on New Year’s Eve in Japan for Dream or for Affliction in January.”

While he waits, Mousasi is back working the door of a Dutch nightclub part time. This is a fate he shares with 95 percent of all European fighters. Be it bouncer, firefighter or car mechanic, even world-ranked fighters like Mousasi have to look for side gigs to afford training.

“It’s really difficult to live on MMA alone, because the sport isn’t that big in Holland and we don't have the same sponsors that American fighters do,” explained Mousasi. “We also get paid in dollars at Dream and due to the current world economic situation, the dollar is worth much less than the Euro, which, pardon my language, really sucks too.”

During his three-month hiatus from the ring, Mousasi said he’ll try to expand his training horizons.

“I am going to Thailand soon to train with Fedor [Emelianenko],” he said. “He is playing in a movie there and I will also get a small role in it. My priority is to work on my standup game though.”

And despite his rising star in Japan, Mousasi will await word of his next bout in the peace and quiet of his hometown of Leiden in South Holland, where few people recognize him on the street. For now.
    Between childhood, boyhood,
    adolescence
    & manhood (maturity) there
    should be sharp lines drawn w/
    Tests, deaths, feats, rites
    stories, songs & judgements

- Morrison, Jim. Wilderness, vol. 1, p. 22

Comment

"I am going to Thailand soon to train with Fedor"

wow. good for Gegard.

would be interesting to see footage of Fedor training in Thailand. His style and movement is quite different from muay thai.
      Welcome to the HyeClub Forum!

Comment

I would highly recommend

It has Gegard's fights.
        Achkerov kute.

Comment

Mousasi's announcement to move up to light heavyweight leaves some asking "why?".

Many consider the 23 year old Armenian, Gegard Mousasi, one of the top five middleweights in the world. His unique blend of Dutch kickboxing and Judo has resulted in an impressive 24-2-1 record ...

Is Gegard Mousasi Making a Mistake By Moving Up to Light Heavyweight?

by Tom Grant

Many consider the 23 year old Armenian, Gegard Mousasi, one of the top five middleweights in the world. His unique blend of Dutch kickboxing and Judo has resulted in an impressive 24-2-1 record and the reputation of the most dangerous middleweight outside of the UFC.

Recently it was announced that Mousasi was leaving the realm of 185 lbs and is entering the ranks of the lightheavy weights. To welcome the 'Young Vagabond' DREAM has arranged for very talented UFC flunk out Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou.

Mousasi's choice to move up a weightclass has left some scratching their heads, such a dominate, young fighter with a unique blend of skills leaving his weightclass and title?

Outside of the UFC the middleweight division does get a little thin, Mousasi is the big name that has never made an appearance in the UFC. Robbie Lawler jumps to mind as a highly rated non-UFC middleweight but it would require a leap to the smaller promotion of Strikeforce-Elite XC from the larger, Japan based DREAM.

Jorge Santiago is another middleweight possibility but his poor stint in the UFC, including a KO loss to Chris Leben hangs a bit over his head. Similarly Vitor Belfort has the talent of a top fighter, but has an inconsistent past that makes Mousasi v Belfort a tough sell as a 'superfight'.

Moving to LHW gives Mousasi the option of a true superfight by jumping to Affliciton and fighting Antonio Rogerio "Minotoro" Nogueira.

It also seems Mousasi is looking to answer the size questions in the first fight facing a much larger fighter. While Sokoudjou and Mousasi are both 6'0", Sokoudjou could easily fight at heavyweight and is an extremely powerful striker.

Mousasi on the otherhand has a similar body type to Dan Henderson, a very slim and lean 6'0" (6'1" in Henderson's case) but a strentgh and leverage beyond the eyeball test.

Sokoudjou also is a very interesting blend of Mauy Thai and Judo, but guard and cardio have been serious problems and as a result his results have yet to match his talent. He has power to spare and could take Mousasi's head off with a solid kick and will likely be able to muscle the smaller Armenian around.

Sokoudjou's biggest advantage aside from size is his unmatched explosiveness in the the first round, he commits to strikes like no other fighter and this really is the reason why he runs out of gas so quickly.

Mousasi's main advantage will lay on the ground, with 8 submissions wins. Mousasi also has superior footwork and can paint the canvas until Sokoudjou gasses himself out. Mousasi's main concern is not allowing Sokoudjou to smother him with size and strength.

Sokoudjou is in something of a lose-lose situation, if he wins he simply beat a smaller fighter who made a mistake moving up a weightclass. If Sokoudjou looses, it will be his third in a row and fourth in five fights, a virtual death sentence for his big promotion hopes.

In any event I certianly will be watching when these two collide.
          Last edited by freakyfreaky; 04-25-2009, 05:08 PM.
          adolescence

Comment

Why isn't he in the UFC?

I would love to see him dominate in UFC.

Comment

Fights today against Mark Hunt. Tapped to coach World Team in M-1 against three teams including Turkey in Kansas City, MO. In negotiations to make U.S. debut. http://www.mmafighting.com/news/2009...-m-1-challenge

Former DREAM middleweight champion Gegard Mousasi will serve as coach of the World Team Friday, June 5 at M-1 Challenge at the Memorial Hall in Kansas City.
              He'll lead his squad against Turkey, in one of three team matchups at M-1 Challenge's fifth event of 2009. The other two team matchups are USA East vs. Finland and England vs. France.

Mousasi (24-2-1), who vacated his middleweight title to move up in weight, has a fight lined up ten days before the coaching gig. The 23-year-old Mousasi will put his eleven-fight win streak on the line against heavyweight Mark Hunt at DREAM.9 on May 26 in the first round of the promotion's Super Hulk open-weight tournament.

According to M-1 Global, Mousasi is also in negotiations to make his US debut with an American promotion.

----
              Mark Hunt, his opponent today, weighs in at 286 lbs. Looks like Mousasi has packed in the pounds also at 218lbs. Last I checked, that ain't no middleweight class.

By Steve Ficca, FightTicker.com Blogger

Dream 9's official weigh-in results are in. In attendance for the weigh-ins were stars such Hong Man Choi, Jose Canseco, Kid Yamamoto, Gegard Mousasi, Ronaldo Jacare, and Mayhem Miller.

Here are the full results, courtesy of MMAWeekly.com:

-Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza (83.7 kg)(184.5 lbs) vs. Jason “Mayhem” Miller (84 kg) (185.1 lbs)
              -Norifumi “Kid” Yamamoto (62.2 kg) (137.1 lbs) vs. Joe Warren (62.6 kg) (138 lbs)
              -Masakazu Imanari (63 kg)(138.8 lbs) vs. Bibiano Fernandes (62.8 kg)(138.4 lbs)
              -Yoshiro Maeda (62.8 kg)(138.4 lbs) vs. Hiroyuki Takaya (63 kg) (138.8 lbs)
              -Abel Cullum (62.7 kg) (138.2 lbs) vs. Hideo Tokoro (62.7 kg)(138.2 lbs)
              -Tatsuya Kawajiri (70 kg) (154 lbs) vs. Gesias "J.Z." Calvancante (70 kg)(154 lbs)
              -Gegard Mousasi (99 kg)(218 lbs) vs. Mark Hunt (130 kg)(286.6 lbs)-Jan “The Giant” Nortje (160 kg) (352.7 lbs) vs. Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou (102 kg)(224.8 lbs)
              -Hong Man Choi (150 kg)(330.6 lbs) vs. Jose Canseco (115 kg)(253.5 lbs)
              -Ikuhisa Minowa (89 kg)(196.2 lbs) vs. Bob Sapp (145 kg)(319.6 lbs)

-------------------------------------

Mousasi is favored at -250. I guess he wasn't joking when he said he would move up in weight class.
              adolescence

Comment

Mousasi outclassed competition in debut in heavyweight division.
                adolescence

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                  "All truth passes through three stages:
                  First, it is ridiculed;
                  Second, it is violently opposed; and
                  Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Comment

It's official. Mousasi to make U.S. debut at The Pond.

Last edited by freakyfreaky; 06-21-2009, 04:00 PM.
                    adolescence

Comment

Gegard is a beast.

Comment

Working...