Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Chess Superpower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Chess Superpower

Winning Move: Chess Reigns as Kingly Pursuit in Armenia-WSJ
    No One Is Bored With Board Game in Nation That Adores Grandmasters

YEREVAN, Armenia—Reporters stake out Tigran Petrosian's home. Fans seek his autograph. His image is splashed across magazine covers, and his youthful face beams from posters on teenagers' walls.

The sturdy 28-year-old isn't a star athlete or a movie star. He is a chess grandmaster. In this chess-crazy country, that makes him a king among pawns.

"Chess here is like soccer in Brazil or football in America," Mr. Petrosian said over coffee at the Yerevan Chess Academy ahead of a concert to honor the country's top players. The concert featured musicians and singers performing in front of 10-foot-high chess boards while the audience clapped rapturously.

Mr. Petrosian—whose father named him Tigran after a former chess champion with the same surname—is one of a legion of top chess players that have catapulted this poor nation of three million into world beaters on the 64-square board. In September, he was part of the five-man squad that claimed Armenia's second consecutive gold medal at the World Chess Olympiad.

Being good in chess carries big benefits in Armenia. Top players say they struggle to be allowed to pay for gasoline or parking. Restaurant bills sometimes never materialize when they go out to eat.

"Some girls giggle when they see us on the streets and some even give me presents," says 30-year-old Levon Aronian, Armenia's No. 1 player and the second-ranked player in the world. "Most of us are just regular nerds, so it's quite a lot to get used to. I've changed the way I dress for photo shoots but that's all."

Armenia's veneration of its chess players recalls a bygone era when the game produced a series of global household names.

In a Cold War grudge match that captivated audiences world-wide, American Bobby Fischer in 1972 broke Soviet dominance by beating champion Boris Spassky. Chess is still popular across much of the former Soviet Union, a legacy of Moscow's patronage of a game it said demonstrated its intellectual superiority over the West.

But whereas chess players are on their own in many Soviet spinoffs, they still have full state support in Armenia. The country's president, Serzh Sargsyan, also is the president of the Armenian Chess Federation.

In September 2011, his government passed legislation that made chess compulsory in schools. Promising players get free training at elite chess academies. The state pays for children to play in foreign championships and pays a salary to all grandmasters.

Mr. Sargsyan hailed a "golden age" for Armenian chess in a speech earlier this year. "It continues to inspire our society with belief in its own strength and self-confidence," he said.

Armenia's love affair with the game is less than half a century old. The country caught the chess bug on May 20, 1963, when 33-year-old Tigran Petrosian, no relation to the current player, dethroned reigning world champion Mikhail Botvinnik, a Soviet, over a grinding 24-game match.

Nicknamed "Iron Tigran" because of his impenetrable defense, Mr. Petrosian's victory made him a national hero. Thousands of families named their children Tigran in his honor.

"In the U.S., everyone can remember where they were when President Kennedy was killed. In Armenia, everyone can remember where they were when Petrosian won that championship," said Aram Hajian, board member of the Chess Academy of Armenia.

Nowadays, chess fever starts young in the country.

At the Patriarch Vasgen elementary school in Yerevan's northern suburbs, aspiring grandmasters daily squeeze into the chess room: a makeshift shrine adorned with the sober faces of former champions and half a dozen huge magnetic boards showcasing the game's most celebrated offensive and defensive plays.

All boards, pieces and textbooks are provided by the government. The children switch between theory and practice and sit through a written test every two months. The teacher, Marina Kamalyan, a frizzy-haired chess evangelist who plays online late most nights, insists on total dedication from the pupils.

"Chess is a real passion that is a metaphor for life. Education is a very important part of our mentality in Armenia, and I want to pass on this passion to the children," Mrs. Kamalyan said as she moved white pieces into an unassailable position on one of the class's wall-mounted magnetic boards.

Many of these children are already veterans, but they are determined to join Armenia's top players as world beaters.

"I want to be world champion. Grandmaster is not good enough," says 9-year-old Yervan Davtyan, after thrashing a reporter in a game lasting less than 15 minutes.

"I taught my mother how to play better, but I didn't show her all the secrets because I want to be the best," adds 8-year-old Julia Hakobyan.

Comment

Armenian TV Chess program including archives.

Politics is not about the pursuit of morality nor what's right or wrong
      Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
      Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

CARLSEN SAYS ARONIAN MOST DANGEROUS OPPONENT IN LONDON

March 12, 2013 - 11:04 AMT

PanARMENIAN.Net - Norway's Magnus Carlsen sees the Armenian world No 3,
        Levon Aronian, as his most dangerous opponent at London-hosted Chess
        Candidates Tournament, The Guardian reported.

"He has supreme confidence and belief in himself, is very well
        prepared, can evaluate non-standard positions very well and never
        backs down," says Carlsen in a tribute to a fellow chess optimist.

Asked if Carlsen would be disappointed if he failed to make it
        through to the world championship match, the chess player said,
        "It would depend on the performance. If I score plus four and Aronian
        scores plus six, I will probably have had a quite good tournament and
        there's not much I can do. If I feel I haven't been able to show my
        best, then I will be disappointed. But life goes on, and whether I
        win or lose I will still be 22 with most of my career ahead of me."

Aronian will face off against Carlsen in the first round, due March
        15. The tournament will run from March 15 to April 1.
        Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

The World Chess Championship Cycle.

The Championship Match between Viswanathan Anand and the winner of the Candidates Tournament will take place in November, 2013.

Aronian - Gelfand 1-0

Standings
          1. Aronian, Levon 1½
          2. Radjabov, Teimour 1½
          3. Carlsen, Magnus 1
          4. Kramnik, Vladimir 1
          5. Svidler, Peter 1
          6. Grischuk, Alexander 1
          7. Gelfand, Boris ½
          8. Ivanchuk, Vassily ½

Watch online:

or
          Last edited by gegev; 03-16-2013, 11:04 PM.

Comment

The Championship Match between Viswanathan Anand and the winner of the Candidates Tournament will take place in November, 2013.

Ivanchuk - Aronian 0-1

Standings after 3-rd round

1. Aronian, Levon 2½
            2. Svidler, Peter 2
            3. Carlsen, Magnus 2
            4. Kramnik, Vladimir 1½
            5. Grischuk, Alexander 1½
            6. Radjabov, Teimour 1½
            7. Ivanchuk, Vassily ½
            8. Gelfand, Boris ½

Watch online:

or

Comment

Kramnik - Aronian 0.5-0.5

Standings after round 5
              1. Aronian, Levon 3½
              2. Carlsen, Magnus 3½
              3. Svidler, Peter 3
              4. Kramnik, Vladimir 2½
              5. Radjabov, Teimour 2½
              6. Grischuk, Alexander 2
              7. Ivanchuk, Vassily 1½
              8. Gelfand, Boris 1½

Watch online:

or
              http://london2013.fide.com/en/compon...133-live-games[/QUOTE]

Comment

Magnus - Aronian 0.5-0.5

Standings after round 8 (6 rounds left)

1. Carlsen Magnus 5½
                2. Aronian Levon 5½
                3. Kramnik Vladimir 4½
                4. Grischuk Alexander 4
                5. Svidler Peter 3½
                6. Gelfand Boris 3½
                7. Radjabov Teimour 3
                8. Ivanchuk Vassily 2½

Watch online:

or
                Last edited by gegev; 03-24-2013, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Aronian - Ivanchuk 1-0

Standings after round 10 (4 rounds left)

1. Carlsen Magnus 7
                  2. Aronian Levon 6½
                  3. Kramnik Vladimir 6
                  4. Svidler Peter 4½
                  5. Grischuk Alexander 4½
                  6. Gelfand Boris 4½
                  7. Ivanchuk Vassily 3½
                  8. Radjabov Teimour 3½

Azeri is the first at the bottom.

or

Comment

Alexandre Alekhine Memorial

First part will take place in
                    Louvre Museum, Paris, France
                    April 21-25, 2013

And the second part will take place in
                    State Russian Museum, Saint Petersburg, Russia
                    April 28 - May 1, 2013

Standings after round 5 (out of 9)

1. Vachier-Lagrave, Maxime 3½
                    2. Aronian, Levon 3
                    3. Fressinet, Laurent 3
                    4. Gelfand, Boris 3
                    5. Adams, Michael 3
                    6. Anand, Viswanathan 2½
                    7. Ding, Liren 2
                    8. Kramnik, Vladimir 2
                    9. Vitiugov, Nikita 2
                    10. Svidler, Peter 1
                    Last edited by gegev; 04-26-2013, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Bravo Aronian!!!

Alexandre Alekhine Memorial

First part took place in
                      Louvre Museum, Paris, France
                      April 21-25, 2013

And the second part took place in
                      State Russian Museum, Saint Petersburg, Russia
                      April 28 - May 1, 2013

Final Standings after 9 rounds

1. Gelfand Boris 5½
                      2. Aronian Levon 5½
                      3. Anand Viswanathan 5
                      4. Vachier-Lagrave Maxime 4½
                      5. Kramink Vladimir 4½

etc.

Bravo Aronian!!!
                      Last edited by gegev; 05-01-2013, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X