Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Ex-boxing champion Forrest killed in Ga.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex-boxing champion Forrest killed in Ga.

Ex-boxing champion Forrest killed in Ga.

By CHARLES ODUM, AP Sports Writer 7 hours, 32 minutes ago

ATLANTA (AP)—Vernon Forrest, a former two-division champion who gained stardom when he became the first boxer to defeat Shane Mosley, was shot to death in what police are calling an attempted robbery.

Atlanta police Sgt. Lisa Keyes said in an e-mail Sunday that the 38-year-old Forrest was shot several times in the back late Saturday night on a street just southwest of downtown. Keyes said there were no suspects.

Fulton County medical examiner Michele Stauffenberg confirmed the case was a homicide and that the autopsy showed Forrest died from “multiple gunshot wounds involving the torso and thigh.” Keyes said a police report on the shooting was not immediately available.

Charles Watson, the boxer’s manager, said police and witnesses told him that Forrest had stopped at a gas station to put air in his car tire when a man approached asking for money.

“Somehow, Vernon had his wallet out and the guy snatched his wallet and started running,” Watson said. “Vernon pursued after him. The guy turned the corner and Vernon didn’t see him. He turned around to go back to the car. That’s when he started firing.”
    ADVERTISEMENT

Watson said Forrest’s 11-year-old godson was with him, but had gone into the convenience store and did not witness the shooting.

The death quickly sent a ripple through the close-knit boxing world.

“Vernon was one of the few decent people in boxing,” his promoter Gary Shaw told The Associated Press. “I don’t know what to say. I’m still in disbelief, I’m still in shock.”

Forrest, a native of Augusta, Ga., who lived in Atlanta, was a member of the 1992 Olympic team along with Oscar De La Hoya. The popular fighter later won welterweight and junior middleweight titles and compiled a professional record of 41-3 with 29 knockouts.

“He was one of the most gracious and charitable fighters in boxing and he will be missed by the entire boxing community,” said HBO Sports president Ross Greenburg, who helped put on eight of Forrest’s fights. “Maybe Vernon’s lasting legacy will be for Americans everywhere to rise up and end this kind of senseless violence.”

Those who knew Forrest praised his role in launching the Destiny’s Child group homes in Atlanta, which work to provide homes for the mentally disabled.

Longtime publicist Kelly Swanson called him “a caring humanitarian who always stood up for what he believed to be the fairness of life.”

“It was truly his calling,” Swanson said of his work with children. “When he wasn’t boxing, this was his full-time job. … When they would see him, they would just light up, and some of them couldn’t even talk. Vernon was very much involved. He’d have some of the kids over to his house on Sundays. They were part of his family.”

Swanson said Forrest was not married and had one son, Vernon Jr.

Forrest turned pro not long after the Barcelona Olympics, when he was stricken by food poisoning and lost in the opening round. He won his first world title by defeating Raul Frank at Madison Square Garden for the vacant IBF welterweight belt in May 2001, and less than a year later handed Mosley his first career loss to capture the WBC title.

The smooth-punching Forrest defended the belt against Mosley, winning by unanimous decision six months later, before losing to Ricardo Mayora in January 2003. It was Forrest’s first loss, and he’d lose again to Mayorga in a close bout many believe he won.

After taking two years off because of injuries, Forrest embarked on an impressive comeback that included a win over Ike Quartey and a victory over Carlos Baldomir for the vacant WBC junior middleweight title. Forrest defended it once, before losing it in a stunning upset to Sergio Mora in June 2008.

Like a true champion, the soft-spoken yet hard-punching Forrest reclaimed it when he won a lopsided decision last September in what ultimately was his final fight.

“He was a great fighter, a great champion,” said Ken Hershman, vice president in charge of boxing at Showtime. “He was coming to the end of his career, but wasn’t ready to hang ‘em up. He still had a lot of life ahead of him.”

There were tentative plans for a title fight against Sergio Martinez, perhaps in October, Shaw said. Plans for an August fight against Martinez were pushed back because of a rib injury, and the delay led the WBC to strip Forrest of his title.

His trainer Buddy McGirt told the AP that he spoke to Forrest last week, and the two were planning to return to the gym on Aug. 1.

“I’ve been in a daze. I’m at a loss for words,” said McGirt, who was awakened early Sunday by the call with the bad news. “When I answered it was his assistant and she was crying, and I knew something happened, man. I just feel so bad.”

This is the third high-profile death of a boxing champion in recent weeks.
    FILE - In this July 26, 2007 file photo, boxer Vernon Forrest smiles as he answers questions during a news conference in Tacoma, Wash. Police say Forrest has been shot and killed in an apparent robbery. Atlanta Police Sgt. Lisa Keyes said in an e-mail Sunday, July 26, 2009 that Forrest may have been robbed and was shot "multiple times in the back" Saturday night in Atlanta.

Hall of Famer Alexis Arguello, the mayor of Managua, Nicaragua, was found dead at his home on July 1 in an apparent suicide. Two weeks ago, popular brawler Arturo Gatti was found dead in a condominium in Brazil. Gatti’s wife remains the prime suspect in that case.

“If the saying is bad things come in threes, hopefully we’re done with that for a long time to come,” Hershman said. “I hope that’s the case. I mean, ironically three great people, three great human beings, too. Not a good few months.”

McGirt was especially shaken by the death of Forrest, whose wins over Mosley earned him the 2002 Fighter of the Year award from Ring Magazine, and whose kindness outside of the ring earned him the Good Guy award in 2003 from the Boxing Writer’s Association of America.

McGirt also worked with Gatti and considered both fallen fighters close friends.

“He has a son, you know?” Gatti said about Forrest. “Someone is going to be raised without a father because somebody wanted to rob someone.”

AP Sports Writer Dave Skretta contributed to this report.

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns
    Last edited by Sako; 07-26-2009, 10:54 PM.
    THE ROAD TO FREEDOM AND JUSTICE IS A LONG ONE!

Re: Ex-boxing champion Forrest killed in Ga.

Astvats ira het ! All the best to his family. Who thinks it was his wife?

Comment

Longtime publicist Kelly Swanson called him “a caring humanitarian who always stood up for what he believed to be the fairness of life.”

Seriously? He beat people up for a living... he was a warrior, a fighter. Don't insult his life by calling him a humanitarian.

“Vernon was one of the few decent people in boxing,” his promoter Gary Shaw told The Associated Press.

I'm sure the boxing world appriciates that statement, lol.
      "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

I don't know much about Vernon Forrest Kanada so I won't make any judgment calls. Do you respect him though? Is there something I should know?

Comment

If I spent my career training to punish people in the ring... and after I was dead some publicist referred to me as a "caring humanitarian who always stood up for what he believed to be the fairness of life" I'd be yelling bullsh!t from inside my coffin. It's just a bunch of P.R. mumbo jumbo.

George Foreman may seem like a big teddy bear but that's only cause he's old and senile
          Last edited by KanadaHye; 07-27-2009, 04:20 AM.
          "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Lol. Kanada, boxing is a sport. Being a boxer doesn't "make you" anything. Look at Mike Tyson. He's a total kid out of the ring. At least that's what I've heard.

You can box and still be a humanitarian and whatever you like.

Comment

Originally posted by Sako View Post
              Lol. Kanada, boxing is a sport. Being a boxer doesn't "make you" anything. Look at Mike Tyson. He's a total kid out of the ring. At least that's what I've heard.

You can box and still be a humanitarian and whatever you like.
              Kids are innocent... Tyson is an animal that should be caged. He bit someone's ear off... lol.

Comment

Comment

Boxer Gatti's death ruled a suicide

Brazilian police found that former world boxing champion Arturo Gatti committed suicide, and ordered that his wife be released.

Lead investigator Paulo Alberes told The Associated Press that Gatti, a 37-year-old who grew up in Montreal and was buried there July 20, killed himself on July 11 in a seaside resort in northeastern Brazil. He offered few other details, but said he would hold a news conference later Thursday.

Police had detained his wife, Amanda Rodrigues, 23, accusing her of strangling Gatti with her purse strap as he drunkenly slept.

On Thursday, state court Judge Ildete Verissimo de Lima in the city of Recife ordered that Rodrigues be immediately released. Her lawyer, Celio Avelino, said Rodrigues would walk out of jail Thursday afternoon.

"The victim ... committed suicide by hanging," Lima's ruling read, referring to the police investigation findings.

Gatti was found dead in a northeastern Brazil apartment he was renting with his wife and their 10-month-old son.

A Brazilian newspaper had earlier reported that an autopsy revealed Gatti may have committed suicide because his body was found hanging. But the report also allegedly said that he could have been murdered, or that his death may have been an accident.

Family rejected suicide rumours
                  However, Gatti's friends and family have strongly rejected any suggestion that he may have taken his own life.

"To think that [Gatti would] commit suicide, when he's on top of the world, it's unbelievable. I don't believe that at all," friend Herby Whyne said during Gatti's funeral.

Gatti, who was born in Italy, grew up and learned to box in Montreal. He followed his older brother, Joe, to New Jersey to pursue a pro career.

Gatti started his pro career in 1991. He won two title belts, in two different weight classes, in a 16-year career that lasted until 2007, after which he moved back to Montreal. He finished with a record of 40-9, with 31 knockouts.

He won his first world title, the WBC championship as a junior welterweight, by beating Tracy Harris Patterson, in 1995 in Atlantic City. In 2004, he won the WBC super-lightweight title, also in Atlantic City.

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2009/0...h-suicide.html

Comment

Like who commits suicide by hanging anymore? This death sounds fishy to me.
                    Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Working...
                    X