Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Motion to make approval mandatory for registration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motion to make approval mandatory for registration

In light of all the spammers and bots that have swarmed us like fat people who had been stranded on an island, found civilization, and came across a buffet, is there no way to allow this software to make approval a requirement before a new member can join here? Several other sites I'm on have had to revert to this, and I'm pretty sure all php boards are capable of it. We could really use this on here, as well as on the "HyeSpace" part of this site. I'm tired of "girls" sending me messages telling me "remember itis not the colour or raceor distance that is matters only love matter a lot in lif" 4 or 5 times a week.

Re: Motion to make approval mandatory for registration

Originally posted by Crimson Glow View Post
    In light of all the spammers and bots that have swarmed us like fat people who had been stranded on an island, found civilization, and came across a buffet, is there no way to allow this software to make approval a requirement before a new member can join here? Several other sites I'm on have had to revert to this, and I'm pretty sure all php boards are capable of it. We could really use this on here, as well as on the "HyeSpace" part of this site. I'm tired of "girls" sending me messages telling me "remember itis not the colour or raceor distance that is matters only love matter a lot in lif" 4 or 5 times a week.
    dude, its true, the ladies want you, bro.
    Between childhood, boyhood,
    adolescence
    & manhood (maturity) there
    should be sharp lines drawn w/
    Tests, deaths, feats, rites
    stories, songs & judgements

- Morrison, Jim. Wilderness, vol. 1, p. 22

Comment

And what would we look at in order to decide who to approve? The name? The email address?

Hyeclub.com is a separate issue, but the forum at least does not have huge problem with spam as far as I know. The staff is on top of it.
      [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
      -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Usually a very simple challenge question will do. Like ask them to say why they are joining this forum (and say it's ok not to have a reason!). Simply having the ability to answer the question with anything meaningful will filter out most of the bots IMO.
        this post = teh win.

Comment

To make it more challenging, instead of asking the same question, you could have a list of questions and ask a different one each time. Something even a 5 year old could understand and answer could be surprisingly difficult for bots!

Examples are:

What color is this?
          What number comes after three in this sequence: 1 3 7 9
          What do you see during the day, the sun or the moon?

Stuff like that.
          Last edited by Sip; 08-24-2009, 04:08 PM.
          this post = teh win.

Comment

Actually, you CAN tell most of them by username. We've all seen the silly, non-Armenian related in any way, shape or form usernames of the spam bots that have infested this site recently. Does this site require an activation e-mail? I would have hoped that alone would be enough to make them fail.

BTW, we have plenty of them here, Siggie. Some of them went undetected for so long, I had to point them out to the mods while in the chatroom a little while back.

Comment

Sip, I'll consider that. I also don't want potential members to lose interest after a day or so and not come back once approved.

Crim, I didn't look at the forum for 1 hour and missed 1 spammer who posted 2 things. I check the forum at least 10 times a day and while I can't speak for all the staff I think they're here more than once a day as well. The ones with obvious names, I delete before they even post.
              [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
              -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
                Sip, I'll consider that. I also don't want potential members to lose interest after a day or so and not come back once approved.

Crim, I didn't look at the forum for 1 hour and missed 1 spammer who posted 2 things. I check the forum at least 10 times a day and while I can't speak for all the staff I think they're here more than once a day as well. The ones with obvious names, I delete before they even post.
                Agree with this. While there are many bots that do invade the forum, they do not last for long as all their posts and their usernames are deleted. There's usually a mod/admin on the forum at all times anyway and their posts are easily spotted. Not really a problem, only a case of dusting off the place.
                Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

I wonder if Pepsi would have passed any of these checks ... the name check, or any of the question answering tests heheheheeh ... I crack myself up sometimes.
                  this post = teh win.

Comment

When i used to host my vBulletin forums a while back,
                    I had a program called Capache, it made users right a certain
                    sentence the program stated to register, I never had problems
                    with bots, I just had a couple problems with real life people doing
                    the jobs bots would normally do.

Comment

Working...
                    X