Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Federate View Post
    We may be getting Yak-130. Irkut representatives were in Armenia for 3 days meeting officials and I can't help but notice it happens near the same time a new $100 million Russian arms loan was granted to us.
    We don't need those expensive puppies, we can take care of their air craft with ease and our Su 25's can be modernized cheaply.

Speaking of unlikely, Burjuin, do you have any pictures of our military having the possession of these modernized BMP-2's? and we have 50 of these things, do you?

And speaking of absurdities, anyone have interest of this monstrosity??

Last edited by DieHard69; 11-03-2017, 02:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Federate View Post
      We may be getting Yak-130.
      I hope for training purpose. Not sure what to train for.
      The Yak-130 is a gorgeous small plane that would be perfect for countries with insurgence. It cannot replace the Su-25 unless they build better pilot protection. Not sure why they do not.
      Even Russia discarded the idea of using it vs the Su-25.
      https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/russian-air-force-to-order-su-25-replacement-372103/

We would be better buying Su-25 and modernizing them. Even that would be my 3ed option.
      My second option would be something like the Super Tucano with low heat signature (It is Brazilian and not Russian I know).

First option will be to place that money into having a national UAV program. A small armed UAV.

Comment

• Originally posted by londontsi View Post

The evidence is against these devices sadly.

We got the Mythbusters to bust one of our stories! Can a "Hail Cannon" actually stop hail from happening?

Scientific evidence

There is no evidence in favor of the effectiveness of these devices. A 2006 review by Jon Wieringa and Iwan Holleman in the journal Meteorologische Zeitschrift summarized a variety of negative and inconclusive scientific measurements, concluding "the use of cannons or explosive rockets is a waste of money and effort".

There is also reason to doubt the efficacy of hail cannons from a theoretical perspective.[4] For example, thunder is a much more powerful sonic wave, and is usually found in the same storms that generate hail, yet it doesn't seem to disturb the growth of hailstones. Charles Knight, a cloud physicist at the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colorado said in a July 10, 2008 newspaper article that "I don't find anyone in the scientific community who would validate hail cannons, but there are believers in all sorts of things. It would be very hard to prove they don't work, weather being as unpredictable as it is."
        The anti hail cannons were developed and tested to be affective for more than 50 years ago in Soviet Union.This we’re shooting projectiles that exploded and dispersed fine particles of dust that seeded rain or small hail. However the key for them to be successful was to shoot in out of agricultural areas of advancing storm just before they could present danger. That required extensive meteorological and technical resources, plus powerfull antiaircraft cannons that had to be on just the right spot.
        Considering the mountainous and small agricultural areas in Armenia and Georgia it is possible to protect small patches of land. But expensive.
        This new cannons are joke. But maybe they are purchased to show that something is being done for unfortunate farmers living there.

Comment

• Hey guys, we have not heard from Artashes and Eddo for a long long time.
          Hope those oldies are all ok.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hakob View Post

The anti hail cannons were developed and tested to be affective for more than 50 years ago in Soviet Union.This we’re shooting projectiles that exploded and dispersed fine particles of dust that seeded rain or small hail. However the key for them to be successful was to shoot in out of agricultural areas of advancing storm just before they could present danger. That required extensive meteorological and technical resources, plus powerfull antiaircraft cannons that had to be on just the right spot.
            Considering the mountainous and small agricultural areas in Armenia and Georgia it is possible to protect small patches of land. But expensive.
            This new cannons are joke. But maybe they are purchased to show that something is being done for unfortunate farmers living there.
            I'm not sure that is the problem.
            The soviet era cannons first were not that many, every rayon had 2 or 3 stationary points that were enough to cover the fields of several villages.
            The servants were not necessary aces. They were normal employees, who did serve the cannons when ever they were ordered.
            The meteorological prevision system back then was not necessarily better than what we do have today.
            The problem was the heavy metals contained in the warheads.
            They were dispersed all over the farmlands, and were known for being highly polluting, cancer inducing...
            That pollution would be unacceptable today, if ever we care for our generations, or if we dare to export to EU. I'm not even sure if backward countries like Evrasian union or Middle easterners would accept to ...
            In my knowledge the system is off in russian regions too. We can assume they do not have shortage of ammunition nor rusting cannons....

The ammunition was not that costly anyway.

Our system collapsed when:
            The cannons were sent to border protection back in 91-92, and never returned...
            Most are rusting, since virtually useless today.

There was a big fuss about gas powered cannons that were placed all over the regions in Armenia and NKR, originally deriving from an Argentinian system??
            Till now, they were not effective. Depends from whom you hear, the reasons are contradictory, yet it does not work, and was just a huge waste of public funds in an ill studied program, and also significant prived funds since a lot of farmers did invest in it...

The only known, 95% effective protection are the nets , adopted in all developed countries.
            But the costs, exagerated by our monopolist import system seems so prohibitive, (10-25.000 $/hectar) that virtually no one dared to invest in that proved way.

It is a guess, but I presume if someone wanted to produce nets in Armenia, the maximum cost of the zavod would not ecxeed something like 10-15 Million $ to produce good quality nets...

Now comes this...

Comment

• Armenia has a new air defense system that will be a game changer vs Azerbaijan and even vs Turkey.
              I will leave you guessing sorry.
              Info confirmed 100%

Comment

• Originally posted by Sukhoi22 View Post
                Armenia has a new air defense system that will be a game changer vs Azerbaijan and even vs Turkey.
                Info confirmed 100%
                Long range? Short range?

Comment

Armenia has a new air defense system that will be a game changer vs Azerbaijan and even vs Turkey.
                  Info confirmed 100%
                  Pantsir makes sense. If I was to invest into anything , that is what I'll buy.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Sukhoi22;n573420]Armenia has a new air defense system that will be a game changer vs Azerbaijan and even vs Turkey.
                    Info confirmed 100%[/QUOTE Come on, don't be that guy, tell us the surprise.

Comment

Not sure if this is for larger planes or smaller low flying UAVs. All I know that something changed few months ago with UAVs that are all dropping down before reaching their targets. Reason why shekelist folded down their operation with their toys and went back home. Whatever it is, it is radar based tracking, either electronic disruptions or accurate target acquisition through radar. Whatever it is it is excellent. Keep the good work.

Comment

Working...
                      X