Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Sartarapat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sartarapat

What do you think happened at Sartarapat and how is it that the lowly Armenian nation, although defeated at that battle, was able to hold back the mighty Persian empire and eventually get a treaty out of them?

Sardarabad? that was against the turks man

Comment

Yes agains the turks also. but that was in 1920

Dont you know about Vartan Mamikonian against the Persians and how we held them back when they wanted to convert us to fire worshipers. That was back in 451 Ad i think. Im not sure because I havent gone to Armenians school since 8th grade so I forgot all my dates.

Comment

You know, I think it is fair to butt and say that when you are referring to "us" that is not keeping in tune with history.
        Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by TigranJamharian Yes agains the turks also. but that was in 1920

Dont you know about Vartan Mamikonian against the Persians and how we held them back when they wanted to convert us to fire worshipers. That was back in 451 Ad i think. Im not sure because I havent gone to Armenians school since 8th grade so I forgot all my dates.

That was the battle of Avarair, near the Dghmod river, not Sartarabad.

Im Hayrenyats hoki Vartan,
          Hokis hokvooyt yeghni ghoorban,
          Vor Dghmoodi aperi mod,
          Vatsoon Hazar Gdrichnerov,
          Zargir, Zargvar, Ingar Kach kach
          Barsige spradz i tsakh ou ach.

Anyone know that song?

Anywho, Armenia's victory over Persia was something spectacular. Armenia's 60 000 soldiers were able to not only hold back the 300 000 persians, but there were actually more deaths on the Persian side, than on the Armenian one (well I guess that kinda makes sense). The victory was due to Mamigonian's great tactical skills (being able to turn the persian elephants against the persians, etc), but I have been a firm believer that a nation defending its own existence will always fight stronger and pull off some miracle, as opposed to one that is invading foreign territory.

We pulled pretty much the same stunt at Sardarabad against the Turks, and in Artsakh against the Azeris.

Our military commandment has always been top-notch though. (Mamigonian, Zoravar Antranig, Dro (good general, bad politician), Sargsyan (ditto)).

Comment

I stand corrected Baron. You are correct it was Avarair. I just remembered.

Yes I remember that song because they taught that in Armenian school. I love it.

Doesnt the tale go that when the Persians told Mamikonian to convert he told them htat he would and when he got back to the Armenians they had heard so they were going to turn him out but then he explained how he had done it to gain time on the Persians? But that battle was lost Baron. Although we did very well considering the odds the battle went to the Persians and Mamikonian was killed. But after that the Armenians did not give up but kept fighting until the Persians gave up and signed a treaty in which they promised to leave Armenia alone.

Dont you wish you lived back then in those times? When life was so much simpler.

Comment

Battle shmattle. The goal of the war was to convert Armenia to whatever religion Persia had at that time, and they failed to succeed, therefore I consider it a victory. It was Vartan's nephew Vahan who signed the treaty in 484, I believe.

The way I remember the story, Vartan and all the armenian Kings were invited to Persia to negociate, but were then jailed. Vassag then came with the plan to tell the Shah of Persia (was he called a Shah back then?) that they had converted, and wanted to go back to Armenia to spread the news and enforce the new law. Of course, it was all a lie, which the Kings had difficulty proving to their people, as they had already heard rumours.

Vasag, however, turned out to be a traitor after all, and turned against Armenia during the war.

I think I'm gonna read Derenik Demirdjian's Vartanank again...

Comment

Originally posted by TigranJamharian

Dont you wish you lived back then in those times? When life was so much simpler.
                No.
                Achkerov kute.

Comment

money feeds you and destroys you anon? Is that what it says? that is why you wouldnt want to live back then.

Yes Baron I am really interested in the history and I would love to learn Armenian history again from a more mature viewpoint than 7th grade history class.

Comment

Originally posted by TigranJamharian money feeds you and destroys you anon? Is that what it says? that is why you wouldnt want to live back then.

Yes Baron I am really interested in the history and I would love to learn Armenian history again from a more mature viewpoint than 7th grade history class.
                    Nope, I just took that one question and answered it. Nothing to do with money.
                    Achkerov kute.

Comment

Working...
                    X