Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Hayasa's Relation in Hayastan's History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hayasa's Relation in Hayastan's History

[cnt'd]

Linguistic Connections

One investigator, P. Jensen, finds a certain similarity between the Urartean language and that in which the letter of King Tushratta of Mitanni (found at Tel-el‑Amarna, Egypt) was written. For example, the name of the god Tesub of the Mitanni closely resembles that of the god Teisbas of Urartu. Another scholar thinks that ancient Armenia or Urartu had a cultural connection with Asia Minor and Syria — citing the Hurri-Mitanni or Subarean remains in upper Mesopotamia and Syria as having points of resemblance to the characters of the Khaldian inscriptions.

There appears to have been a pre-Indo-European substratum of speech which strongly influenced the Indo-European-Armenian. Professor N. Marr, a Khaldist authority, suspects that the language of the Vannic cuneiforms is of the type of several modern Caucasian dialects of the Japhetic class. however, the Aryo-European must have exerted great influence upon the Urartean, even long before the times of the Vannic Empire.

On the other hand, E. Meyer cites names of royal princes many centuries before Christ in the Taurus area and Palestine, and later in Commagene; names such as Arta-tama, Arta-skana and Artamana, all more Iranian in character than Indian, and all bearing the Arta prefix which persists in Armenian names to this day. But there were names such as Kundaspie and Kustaspie, which were originally Indian, their forms then being Vindaspa and Vistaspa. Other significant links are found in the Hatti-Mitanni treaty (1387‑1367 B.C.), which contained the names of other than gods, and in the Sanskrit numerals, yeka (one), tria (three) and panja (five), as found in the treatise upon horse-training by Kikkuli of Mitanni (1400 B.C.).

The Subarean (Asianic-Hurri-Japhetic) language is the basic stratum of the various above-mentioned tongues; it was topped and strongly affected by the Aryan-Mitanni language, from which mixture the Urartean sprang up, it being related in turn to the old Hatti-Asianic, the new Caucasian and through Indo-European elements, to the Aryan languages. On this Indo-European-Armenian foundation was superimposed the Urartean speech, which was forced upon the conquered natives, from whose dialects also an additional stock of words was assimilated in the course of time. Traces of anthropological types of culture, religion and social customs are being discovered from time to time under the Armen stratum. The same may be said of the linguistic heritage of the past.

In his analysis of the known Iso-Urartean root-words, Professor Ghapantsian of Erevan University identifies one-fourth as of Hittite character. Many other root words and grammatical forms of non-Indo-European types have been found, but belonging to an Asia Minor group. All non-Indo-European elements, the Urartean and others, descend from the Subarean common origin. The same applies to the anthropological strata of the population of Armenia, whose chronology is stated by Professor A. Hatch as follows: [I can't find what follow...]

Comment

Indeed, I agree that the myth of Ara the Beautiful must come from Urartian times. Armenians themselves never had to fight against Assyrians/Babylonians. But before connecting Aramu/Ara/Aram so hastily with Armina/Harminuya, I need to determine for myself if the Median names can be etymologically/morphologically analyzed in these ancient languages. Of course people have come up with nice etymologies for Armina, such as "Land of Aram" or "Land of the sons of Ara/Fire", and their arguments for them sound quite plausible, I want to check them myself though.

I want to facepalm at the last article you posted, "Linguistic Connections". There are tons of claims being made here that are just the opinions of some scholars who probably do shoddy work given the kind of "connections" they are assuming. How convenient of them to state that the Indo-Aryan language of Mitanni "strongly" influenced the local Hurrian language... and then use that model of what I'll term "linguistic arm twisting" between the superstratum and the substratum languages of a region on ALL the languages in question in order to finally establish some mixed up "Indo-European foundation" on which Armenian is built from.

I'm curious to see this guy's data, especially on the Urartian supposedly being 1/4 Hittite "character", whatever that means. I'll tell you if he's on to something, but I'm very skeptical, especially because if he were right, at least one of the greatest authorities on Hittite who has so much as glanced at Urartian would have mentioned such a thing a long time ago.

I made a mistake earlier in equating "pre-Indo-European" with proto-Indo-European for this last section of the post. I now understand that the author of this article was not refering the the proto-language of Indo-European, but rather, the assumption that Armenian had a "form" or substratum that preceeded "Indo-European" influence.

This is equally worthy of great criticism, because this model of diachronic linguistics assumes that a language is just a hodge-podge of whatever languages interact with it, and completely disregards the definition of saying what an "Indo-European" language is, positing instead that a language can "become" Indo-European.

It is wrong because each dialect (or in conventional lay terms, each language) has a unique position among the branches of its linguistic family group, designated by genetic descent, and not by exterior influence (no matter how pervasive it may be). Otherwise, we'd be able to say that the English language is partly French, and thus a Latin/Romance language, due to the sheer volume of pervasive influence the French language had historically acted upon it. No, we instead say that English is a Germanic language because of its genetic descent from a common ancestor it shares with German, Dutch, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, etc...

The same follows when we say Armenian is an Indo-European language. It never "became Indo-European", it is by nature and by law, Indo-European due to its genetic descent from an ancestor it shares with Greek, Sanskrit, English, Russian, Latin, etc... And as I've said before and will say again and again, the Indo-European character of Armenian is very much present, throughout the language, everywhere. Armenian has innovated a lot, but in its lexicon and morpho-syntax, we can see its clear genetic relationship to Indo-European. Though other language families, such as Turkish for example, have had a great influence on our modern dialects' pragmatics, syntax, morphology and vocabulary, one could never say that Armenian is a Turkic language, or that there is some kind of Turkic genetic element in its profile.

A dialect is a compendium of a series of grammatical rules acting upon a memorized set of words, or lexemes. Even if Armenian has innovated or remodeled itself along the grammatical lines of neighbouring groups, be they Anatolian, Hurro-Urartian, Semitic, Turkic, or other Indo-European dialects, its line of descent will always be 100% Indo-European. Another way of looking at it is, we cannot reconstruct the proto language of Hurro-Urartian by using the Armenian language as a member of its family, but if Armenian acquired some lexical borrowings from Hurro-Urartian, those could be compared (after ironing out the extra phonological transformations Armenian imposed on this borrowed item), with the forms available in the language we borrowed from, to potentially help trace the ancestral form of this word. But the Armenian form of it, due to being a borrowing and not an inheritance from its ancestor, can by definition never be a cognate. In historical linguistics, such a borrowing (after being distilled of the phonological processes and the syntactic and semantic reanalysis imposed on it by Armenian), is just a fossilized form of an item belonging to the lexical inventory of another language.

It is such crucial details that these academics overlook when they assume a language is just a hodge-podge of whatever language families got to interact with and influence it. It is for these reasons why I don't take their claims seriously, I consider them to have made a fatal error in their linguistic analysis.
      Last edited by jgk3; 02-26-2010, 06:58 AM.

Comment

What you guys know about the Tribes of Urme (or Arme) at the edges of the confideration.....since I trace my background to these forgoten areas that have been neglected from the main flow of our history considered being between Assyrian and Urartuian capitals?
        B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Originally posted by Eddo211 View Post
          What you guys know about the Tribes of Urme (or Arme) at the edges of the confideration.....since I trace my background to these forgoten areas that have been neglected from the main flow of our history considered being between Assyrian and Urartuian capitals?
          There's not much we know about those regions because we don't have enough evidence, we can only assume. If there is something you can contribute, don't hesitate!

So far, historians generally find it sane to assume that Armenians were in the region at the beginning of, or even before, the formation of Urartu (the Phrygians had already penetrated western Anatolia back then as well). The name "Urme/Arme" may be a reference to a tribal leader (an ancient Greek historian mentions the people of "Armenos" from Thrace, who entered the region). Compare it to Osman, for Osmanogullari, the province that expanded to become the Osmanli[Ottoman] Empire, and Armenos, for Arme/Urme, the province that expanded to become the Kingdom of Armenia. (even if Arme might be the keyword for Armenia, it still doesn't explain much, see ara87's post above).

Hayasa was a kingdom between modern-day Sivas, Trabzon and Erzurum. Azzi was a kingdom around Erzurum, while Alzi was a kingdom around Mus[h]/Bitlis (Urme/Arme was pretty much within Alzi). Some historians say all three were part of the same kingdom, (hence "Hayasa-Azzi").

The commonly accepted theory about the Armenian nation is that, by intermingling with the Phrygians, Hayasa-Azzi people adopted an Indo-European language, and in turn, as some were part of Urartu, they intermingled with the local Biana (Urartians), and under the Satrapy of Armina, its citizens spoke an amalgamated language of Phrygian, Urartian and possibly Hayasan (which could fill in the gaps for the Armenian words of unknown origin).

Again, this is all a theory based on logic. The evidence to back it up comes from evidence for other things that make this theory the most likely. Like I mentioned numerous times, we don't even know what Armenians spoke for 900 years after the formation of the Satrapy of Armina, nor do we have a clear idea of what Urartians spoke, nor do we have a strong base in the Phrygian language. The original Armenian language (krapar) has so many unique elements that it is difficult to understand where it branched off from, or if it is purely and exclusively an Indo-European language. There are still so many pieces of the puzzle missing. I hoped this thread would shed some light on some discovered pieces that I was not aware of, and it somewhat did, but not to my satisfaction, so if you have anything to add, don't hesitate.

You said you can trace your roots back to that region, can you tell us how?
          Last edited by SevSpitak; 04-20-2010, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Well I may be overstating it and even confused. However I do know that both sides of my grandparents and their ancestors lived in present day Urme (Urmia?).............for all I know it may not be the same location, or at one point my ancestors moved to that area during the Mongol invasion for good trade with the friendly Mongols who liked Armenians but hated Turks.

I know from my own grandparents before they escaped the AG the place was full of Assyrians and Kurds with Armenian villages as a minority. Assyrians got hit very hard in that area with unspeakable misery. There were several resistance that Assyrians and Armenians fought together against Turks. The Assouries were very brave as I hear.
            B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Working...
            X