Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Wanted - book or website recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wanted - book or website recommendations

For a good cheap non-book specific scanner, take a look at canon's LIDE200. New is less than $80, is FAST, small, light, and produces great results for the price. Would have no problem scanning books and I see it comes with some sort of software to correct for the distortion on the side where the book fold is. I haven't messed with that feature myself so no idea how well it works.
    this post = teh win.

Comment

Originally posted by Sip View Post
      For a good cheap non-book specific scanner, take a look at canon's LIDE200. New is less than $80, is FAST, small, light, and produces great results for the price. Would have no problem scanning books and I see it comes with some sort of software to correct for the distortion on the side where the book fold is. I haven't messed with that feature myself so no idea how well it works.
      That cheap, lightweight unit would be one of the very worst scanners to use on a rare or easily damaged book! You are actually admitting that it distorts the book, distorts it so badly that it needs software to correct it (the "it" being the scans - the software does not heal the damage caused by repeated pressing of the book onto a flimsy scanner). The scanner I cited will scan each page of the book without having to open the book more than 90 degrees, and will scan as close as about 5mm to the fold of the book. It is the only low-price scanner that is suitable for scanning fragile books.
      Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

I agree the book scanner is a pretty cool design.

As far as "admitting" distortions, I think you misunderstood. It's not any more distorted than it would be for normal reading. I presume the book can be opened and laid flat on a table. The distortion is caused by NOT forcing the page to be totally flat. So the point is that there are software solutions for not damaging books that go along with much cheaper scanners.

Once again, I completely agree that the book scanner is an excellent design and your recommendation is far superior than mine as I am sure you are in many aspects when it comes to dealing with rare books.
        this post = teh win.

Comment

Originally posted by Sip View Post
          I agree the book scanner is a pretty cool design.

As far as "admitting" distortions, I think you misunderstood. It's not any more distorted than it would be for normal reading. I presume the book can be opened and laid flat on a table. The distortion is caused by NOT forcing the page to be totally flat. So the point is that there are software solutions for not damaging books that go along with much cheaper scanners.

Once again, I completely agree that the book scanner is an excellent design and your recommendation is far superior than mine as I am sure you are in many aspects when it comes to dealing with rare books.
          Opening a book flat does caus some damage to it, especially if you do it with every page in the book. And it is a slow way to scan a book. I don't know how effective this software you speak of is - will it remove the distortion without having to press down on the book, which does more damage? The scanner would have to have a lot of depth of field to be able to retain the focus into the curve of the page, and the software would have to be able to intelligently adjust the exposure of the scan for the darker area of the curve as well as reparing the visual distortion - that seems a lot to ask a scanner's hardware and software to do.

The Plustek scans without distortions as long as the text margin is not too close to the binding (so it is good for hardback books up to an A4 page size, but not for small paperbacks) and is very fast - you can scan over 100 pages in an hour. But it is an ugly-looking scanner, with software that looks like it is from the 1990s, and gives inferior scans for photographs and line drawings (they look slightly soft and - using the default settings - are off-colour compared to a normal scanner). I got mine as-new on ebay for the equivalent of $90.
          Last edited by bell-the-cat; 04-01-2010, 03:38 PM.
          Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Working...
          X