Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

HOK [Armenian Relief Committee] card from the 1920s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOK [Armenian Relief Committee] card from the 1920s?

Can anyone read and translate what is on this card. It has the letters H.O.K. at the top, so I'm assuming that it is connected to the Armenian Relief Committee. But beyond that I can't decipher the letters.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	HOK.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	540052
    Plenipotentiary meow!

Re: HOK [Armenian Relief Committee] card from the 1920s?

The writing right under ՀՕԿ is abbreviated Հար. Ամեր. which is Հարաւային Ամերիկա (South America) and right below that is the word ՇՐՋԱՆ (all caps) which means "area/region/district" in this context (it can mean "period (of time)" too in other contexts). So it's basically the Armenian Relief Committee of South America.

The writing below is Լենինական (Leninakan) and right under it is presumably a description of the picture Հիւսւածեղէնի ֆապրիքա (Hyusvadzegheni fabrika in Western Armenian) which means wickerwork factory.

All the writing is in Traditional orthography.
    Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Thanks. Here are a few other interesting cards from the 1920s. They were all on ebay, from a seller in Argentina. I had them bookmarked - but then forgot to bid on them.

This one sold for $21.50

Name:	flag.jpg
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	538694
      Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

This one depicts Varag monastery near Van. And upper Varag. And a Vaspurakan eagle.(A translation of the text would be nice )

Name:	varag.jpg
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	538695
        Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

And 2 other postcard-size photographs. A strange-looking composite photograph of a family, and a photo of a group of schoolchildren from 1914. I wonder what the letters embroidered on their uniforms means? The school photo sold for a lot more, about $60 I think.

Name:	Armenian postcard.jpg
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	538696

Name:	Armenian School 1914.jpg
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	538697
          Last edited by bell-the-cat; 02-02-2011, 08:07 AM.
          Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
            Thanks. Here are a few other interesting cards from the 1920s. They were all on ebay, from a seller in Argentina. I had them bookmarked - but then forgot to bid on them.

This one sold for $21.50

[ATTACH]2109[/ATTACH]
            Wow this one's really badass! Not sure if it's depicting an actual hero but it sort of reminds me of Sebastatsi Murad.

In case you're wondering, this one says Կեցցէ՜ Հայաստան on top ('Getse Hayasdan' in Western Armenian) which is kinda like saying "Long live Armenia" or "Hurray/Bravo Armenia".

Bottom is Յիշատակ Հայաստանի Հանրապետութեան Ճանաչման, 19 Յունուար 1920 ('Hishadag Hayasdani Hanrabedutean djanatchman', 19 Hunvar 1920 in Western Armenian) which means "In memory of the recognition of the Armenian Republic, 19 January 1920."

All writing is in Traditional orthography.
            This one depicts Varag monastery near Van. And upper Varag. And a Vaspurakan eagle.(A translation of the text would be nice )
            [ATTACH]2110[/ATTACH]
            Տոկա, ով հայ, մի յուսահատիր, կը լինի օր մը՝ կը ժպտայ բաղդն երեսիդ, կը լինիս երջանիկ։ Մ. Լուսարարեան, ՀԱՅՐԻԿ։ ('Doga, ov hye, mi husahadir, guh lini or muh... guh jbdah paghtn yeresit, guh linis yerchanig.' In Western Armenian)

Translation: "Endure, O Armenian, don't lose hope, there will be one day where luck will smile at your face (literal translation) and you will be joyful." M. Lusararean, FATHER (հայրիկ is an affectionate way of saying 'father' in Armenian whereas normally հայր is 'father'.)

All writing is in Traditional orthography.
            And 2 other postcard-size photographs. A strange-looking composite photograph of a family, and a photo of a group of schoolchildren from 1914. I wonder what the letters embroidered on their uniforms means? The school photo sold for a lot more, about $60 I think.

[ATTACH]2111[/ATTACH]
            [ATTACH]2112[/ATTACH]
            The family in the first photo is actually famous. On the left is national hero Serop Aghpyur, middle are his children and right is Serop's wife and one of few known female national heroes Sose Mayrig.

Writing in the first line basically says who they are by name and the bottom part says Հասոյթը կը յատկացուի Այրի Տիկ. Սօսէ Ս. Աղբիւրի (Ի Աղեքսանդրիա) ('Hasuytuh guh hadgatsvi ayri dig. (abbrev. for digin) Sose S. Aghpyuri (i Agheksantria)')

Translation: "Proceeds are given to widower Mrs. Sose S. Aghpyuri (via Alexandria)."

N.B. -Mayrig means 'mother' in an affectionate way, similar to hayrig above.
            - 'Aghpyur' which is river is a nickname Serop acquired.
            - Via Alexandria because Sose eventually moved to Alexandria where she died.

As for the second photo with the schoolchildren, it's a kindergarten (Մանկապարտէզ) and the letters on the children are Մ. Պ. My best guess for what they stand for is probably Մանկապարտէզ (the word literally is a merger of "chilren" մանուկ and "garden" պարտէզ). The school probably had different levels of education and not only a kindergarten and they put those letters on the kids so they can identify them as belonging in the kindergarten. Of course, all this is just a guess.
            Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Working...
            X