Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Workshop on the social and economic history of Mardin and the region

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workshop on the social and economic history of Mardin and the region

Apparently you can watch the conference from the Hrant Dink Foundation's website but the video isn't loading for me. I guess they're live streaming? Perhaps they'll upload everything later on.

Workshop on the Social and Economic History of Mardin and the Region
    2-3 November 2012 - Erdoba Elegance Hotel Conference Room, Mardin

Friday, November 2
    Registration and Opening of the Workshop (10:30-11:30)

Welcome address by Rakel Dink, Hrant Dink Foundation

Opening speeches by
    Evgil Türker, President of the Federation of Syriac Associations
    Cengiz Aktar, Hrant Dink Foundation

Keynote speech by
    David Gaunt "The View from the roofs - what everyone in Mardin could
    see
    1915"

Lunch break (12:00-13:00)

I- General Panorama of Mardin and its Surroundings
    Panel 1 (13:00-14:30)
    Chair: Suavi Ayd?n
    Cafer Sar?kaya
    "Looking at the Social and Economic History of Mardin and its
    Periphery
    from 1873 Vienna Universal Exposition"
    Füsun Aliog(lu
    "Traditional Houses of Mardin"
    Osman Köker
    "Population, Economy and Cultural Diversity in the Sandjak of Mardin
    at
    the beginning of the 20th Century"

Coffee break (14:30-15:00)

II- Ethnic Variety of the Region
    Panel 2 (15:00-16:30)
    Chair: Rober Koptas,
    Ramazan Turgut
    "Dom- The Lost Tribe"
    Mehmet Ali Aslan
    The M?hallemies : Mystery of Turabdin History"
    Ara Sarafian
    "Mapping Communities: Arisdages Devgants and his Report on Siirt,
    1878"
    Abdürrahim Özmen
    "Memory and Life: Cases from Oral History of Turabdin Syriacs"

Saturday, November 3

III- Interferences and Emerging Nationalisms
    Panel 3 (8:30-10:00)
    Chair: I.s,aya Üs,ür
    Elçin Macar
    "The American Protestant Missionaries and their Institutions in
    Mardin"
    Eden Naby,
    "Women Missionaries, Syriacs and Armenians in Mardin"
    Michael Abdalla
    "Mardin and its People between mid-19th Century and end of WWI:
    Relations of Missionaries and Inhabitants"

Coffee break (10:00-10:30)

Panel 4 (10:30- 12:00)
    Chair: Elçin Macar
    Suavi Ayd?n
    "Local Power Struggles during the Reign of Abdulhamid II and the
    Constitutional Era in Turabdin: Tribes and Communities"
    Andrew Palmer
    "The Transformation of the Suryani Village of Maare into the Kurdish
    village of Marin, circa 1840- 1915"
    Nineb Lamassu
    "The Ethnic Identity and National Renaissance of the Eski Süryanis"
    Martin Tamcke
    "On the way to the Bagdad-Railway: Germans in and on Mardin"

Lunch break (12:00-13:00)

IV-Violence, Pogrom and Genocide in Mardin
    Panel 5 (13:00-15:00)
    Chair: Ali Bayramog(lu
    Naures Atto
    "Syriac Orthodox Church Leadership during the Transition Period
    (1918-1926) and the Removal of the Patriarchate from Turkey"
    Suphi Aksoy
    "The Massacres against Nestorians Committed by Bedirhan, the Bey of
    Cizre, Nurullah, Bey of Hakkari, and the Other Kurdish Beys between
    1843-1846"
    Hilmar Kaizer
    "Yezidi Sharkian Tribe and Urban Elites: The CUP's First Massacre."
    Raymond Kévorkian
    "Syriac and Armenian: A common fate in 1915"
    Tuma Çelik
    "Deportation of Nestorians from Hakkari in 1924"
    Coffee break (15:00-15:30)

V-Post-traumatic survival
    Panel 6 (15:30-17:30)
    Chair: Ayhan Aktar
    Ays,e Gül Alt?nay
    Grandchildren in Mardin: Silencing and Remembering Islamized Armenians
    Ramazan Aras
    "Haunting Memories of Armenian Roots: Construction of Muslim Armenian
    Identity in the post-1915 Era"
    Ishkhan Chiftjian
    "Some testimonies of Armenian and Syriac Genocide Survivors"
    Aryo Makko
    "Remembrances from Overseas Exile: The Late Ottoman Empire and the
    Early
    Republic of Turkey in the Discourses of Assyrian Emigrants, circa
    1900--1938"
    Lokman Sazan
    "Oral History in Derik"

Coffee break (17:30-18:00)

General Evaluation and Discussions (18:00-19:00)
    Chair: Cengiz Aktar
    Recapitulation by David Gaunt

Re: Workshop on the social and economic history of Mardin and the region

To remember the reality of the HORROR that our family and so many other families have experienced from day one since they approached our land is one aspect of being Armenian.
    All these topics of discussion in your above post is like for me to once again look into my family "Album" and see and relive that heartless , inhuman ... And the horror , grief, and - Utter - - - ???? (sorry can't find a word ).
    And so --- I am once again very interested in seeing (and reliving) what happened (Irrefutebly).
    I'm computer weak. When I push the "blue writing" for H. D. , I then see words say "push here for English" but that action is not operating and disallows me to do that(damn).
    Can anyone tell me how to accomplished through possibly another channel, angle, etc.?
    Thanks for the post.
    Artashes

Comment

Originally posted by Artashes View Post
      To remember the reality of the HORROR that our family and so many other families have experienced from day one since they approached our land is one aspect of being Armenian.
      All these topics of discussion in your above post is like for me to once again look into my family "Album" and see and relive that heartless , inhuman ... And the horror , grief, and - Utter - - - ???? (sorry can't find a word ).
      And so --- I am once again very interested in seeing (and reliving) what happened (Irrefutebly).
      I'm computer weak. When I push the "blue writing" for H. D. , I then see words say "push here for English" but that action is not operating and disallows me to do that(damn).
      Can anyone tell me how to accomplished through possibly another channel, angle, etc.?
      Thanks for the post.
      Artashes
      Thanks to whoever that did whatever. I know can follow these discussions in English.
      Thanks again
      Artashes

Comment

Originally posted by TomServo View Post
        Apparently you can watch the conference from the Hrant Dink Foundation's website but the video isn't loading for me. I guess they're live streaming? Perhaps they'll upload everything later on.

Workshop on the Social and Economic History of Mardin and the Region
        2-3 November 2012 - Erdoba Elegance Hotel Conference Room, Mardin
        I see rather too many of the usual corrupt suspects.

There must be barrels of EU money lubricating it all and so there is now a feeding frenzy.

The Hrant Dink Foundation was responsible this year for the destruction of the historical Armenian fountains in Havav near Kovancilar. I was fortunate to see the fountains a year earlier, just before the destruction began. They tore down so much of the original stonework and rebuilt them so badly using modern materials and machine-cut stone that the fountains now look like entirely new constructions. They now are very ugly and all their former value as historic and picturesque monuments has gone. But those involved made lots of money and now have lots of ticks on their cv's that will help them access even more money in the future - and that is all that matters to them.
        Last edited by bell-the-cat; 11-05-2012, 08:23 AM.
        Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
          I see rather too many of the usual corrupt suspects.

There must be barrels of EU money lubricating it all and so there is now a feeding frenzy.

The Hrant Dink Foundation was responsible this year for the destruction of the historical Armenian fountains in Havav near Kovancilar. I was fortunate to see the fountains a year earlier, just before the destruction began. They tore down so much of the original stonework and rebuilt them so badly using modern materials and machine-cut stone that the fountains now look like entirely new constructions. They now are very ugly and all their former value as historic and picturesque monuments has gone. But those involved made lots of money and now have lots of ticks on their cv's that will help them access even more money in the future - and that is all that matters to them.
          Bell, do you have any "before and after" pics you might share with us?
          The points you are making need to be recognized so that restoration are done appropriately and can be recognized that these issues are addressed for the right reasons.
          Perchance, armed with understanding these fountains can be redone in the appropriate manner or that consideration can be taken up by the more responsible.
          Thanks for the insight.
          Artashes

Comment

Originally posted by Artashes View Post
            Bell, do you have any "before and after" pics you might share with us?
            The points you are making need to be recognized so that restoration are done appropriately and can be recognized that these issues are addressed for the right reasons.
            Perchance, armed with understanding these fountains can be redone in the appropriate manner or that consideration can be taken up by the more responsible.
            Thanks for the insight.
            Artashes
            There was an earthquake there in 2010 which damaged parts of the fountains, but that damage could have been easily and cheaply repaired while still retaining their original aspect. I don't have pictures from before the earthquake (and I've still to sort the pictures I took in 2011 but will see what I can find).

Restorations are almost always destructive and are nowadays generally considered to be unacceptable interventions except in exceptional circumstances. A restoration is not the same as conservation, and the goal of modern conservation methods is to always preserve what is there, and not to add new things that damage or destroy what is there. "What is there" also includes the atmosphere of the place, and the traces that show the history of the monument (such as old alterations or repairs done to it, or damage that has befallen it). Restorations done purely for political reasons (the Hrant Dink Foundation is quite open about having done it for that reason) are by far the worst of all. The Hrant Dink Foundation has just used these monuments as a convenient tool to use for its own self-aggrandisement and political advancement - it never had a real concern for the actual monuments. Their website doesn't even use the Armenian name for the village, it uses the Kurdified version of it.
            Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Working...
            X