Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Of Phoneme-Morpheme Syntaxes & Armenian Orthography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Of Phoneme-Morpheme Syntaxes & Armenian Orthography

An interesting article. Some highlights:

Of Phoneme-Morpheme Syntaxes & Armenian Orthography
    By Khatchatur I. Pilikian, London UK, 16 April 2013

Once upon a time when I received an invitation card from the Armenian Embassy here in London, the card had the surname of the Ambassador, as well as my own surname written with the so called Eastern Armenian Orthography -- the suffix ian disfigured as yan – the spelling norm in the Republic of Armenia. In my thankful response to His Excellency, the Ambassador, I gently questioned the discrepancy. I had no response. Perhaps it meant NO COMMENT? And, of course, the norm continues unabated (with the exception of the late Ambassador’s own writing of her surname as Kazinian…)

With all the relevant and good data included in the recent video programme, titled Haroutyoun =Resurrection. See Resurrection on YouTube. There too abounds, ad nauseam, political bashings of the entire Second Republic of Armenia. While refuting, and rightly so, the so named ‘Abeghian Orthography’, it continues to distort the programme’s own positive data of pointing out the extraordinary courage of prominent linguists and writers of the day rejecting the blatantly controversial ‘new orthography’. The video thus emulates, and paradoxically so, the worst of the derailed 'bolshevism' which had become a monopoly of deranged absolutism in the Soviet Armenian Republic of the period. Lo and behold, the same is practiced now in the free-marketeering 3rd Republic of Armenia by the rabid monopolists of zealot 'anti-bolshevism.’

Astonishing as it sounds, it’s worth highlighting that in mid 19th century the Ottoman Caliphate had even entertained the idea to officially adopt the Armenian Alphabet for the Turkish language, A whimsical joke? Apparently not so. The eminent linguist, Hrachia Ajcharian, who had insisted for and succeeded in publishing his magnum oeuvres in the Classical Orthography, had this to say about some Ottoman Pashas’ fleeting wish:

Many Turks learned the Armenian Alphabet and were reading Manzoume and Mejmouwai [Turkish newspapers printed in Armenian letters].

Last September, 2012, I wrote an abstract of my own observations, research and experience as a performer of songs and poetry, titled, Phonemic Syntax of Armenian Language in Araratian and Western Variants. The crucial dual points of my concluding suggestion were,

Return to the Western, or better, Classical Armenian Orthography that has kept the time honoured and 'acid proven' classical system initiated by Mesrop Mashtots (hence its continuous usage in the literary Armenian – Grabar), with all the relevant and valid additions and practical changes in time, throughout sixteen centuries.
    While keeping both Prominent Dialects of the language, it is best to return to the Araratian Pronunciation in speech and reading, anchored on the triple consonantal system closely linked with the Classical Orthography, diminished alas in the Western Armenian pronunctiation, or speech sounds, with strange negligence to its glorious Orthographic heritage…

Read the rest here: http://keghart.com/Pilikian-Syntaxes

Re: Of Phoneme-Morpheme Syntaxes & Armenian Orthography

No thank you. There is a good reason why soviet armenia changed the western style. Western armenian is much harder to learn and use thus is less practical. Language is a tool and there is nothing wrong with making better tools. I am annoyed that my son cannot be taught eastern armenian where we live but then again that is what parents are for. A more efficient language leads to higher literacy rate thus better education for society.
    Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
      No thank you. There is a good reason why soviet armenia changed the western style. Western armenian is much harder to learn and use thus is less practical. Language is a tool and there is nothing wrong with making better tools. I am annoyed that my son cannot be taught eastern armenian where we live but then again that is what parents are for. A more efficient language leads to higher literacy rate thus better education for society.
      You obviously have a poor understanding of the subject if you refer to the traditional orthography as "Western." The traditional orthography (what you call Western style) was in use in Armenia until the 1920s and as the author of this article points out, the reformers had great reservations about the reform. There is no "Western/Eastern" style -- Iranian Armenians speak Eastern Armenian but use the traditional spelling.

Any individual in Armenia who does research on pre-Soviet Armenian history will have to learn the traditional orthography (which is called Mashtotsian or Mesropian for a reason).

Comment

You are right i am no linguist but here is a example of how messed up presoviet armenian was - take the name Gagik which is a real armenian name (i believe we had a king by that name) this name is western armenian sounds like kakik which sounds like well um crap. In eastern/yerevantsi armenian it is pronounced as Gagik which is very different then kakik. I do like many of the words in the western armenian but the pronounsiation and spelling is much more complicated then the Hayastantsi version.
        Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
          You are right i am no linguist but here is a example of how messed up presoviet armenian was - take the name Gagik which is a real armenian name (i believe we had a king by that name) this name is western armenian sounds like kakik which sounds like well um crap. In eastern/yerevantsi armenian it is pronounced as Gagik which is very different then kakik. I do like many of the words in the western armenian but the pronounsiation and spelling is much more complicated then the Hayastantsi version.
          Did you read the article, Haykakan? You've missed the point. Pilikian makes it pretty clear that it is the Western that has undergone a sound shift and that he prefers the Eastern/Classical pronunciations. But spelling and pronunciation are not the same thing. Before the Soviet reforms, Tumanian and Abovian wrote in the traditional orthography but that did not mean they were writing in Western Armenian. That's absurd.

So, Գագիկ would be pronounced Gagik in EA and Kakig in WA. This name is still spelled the same way in reformed Armenian orthography, so let's try another one:

Յովհաննէս (traditional) and Հովհաննես (reformed): both pronounced the same way.

Comment

Yeah, this is all just about the writing system, not the way people talk. I don't really have a clear side on this debate. Forget the Eastern Armenian orthography debate, to me, Western Armenian might enjoy a makeover, to eliminate the 2 t's, 2p's and 2, k's, thus rendering it easier for new learners, but of course this makes the vocabulary less traceable from its historical pronunciation for anyone who cares about that.

Comment

The reason i like the eastern better is that there very few spelling//pronounciation issues. You spell the word the way it sounds. Our alphabet has a lot of lettersand that allows with a letter representing almost every sound. Hovannes is a good example like spell it with the H which the name sound like when pronounced like why would you bother spelling it with a Y - those kinds of things never made sense to me.
              Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Those nonsensical spellings reflect earlier pronunciations of the word. For instance, why do we spell knight with a k and a gh? Because surely enough, in Chaucer's English, it was pronounced: "k-nikh-t, with the kh being analogous to the kh in Khachig.

The debate in Armenian regarding keeping or dispensing of these orthographic fossils that no one pronounces anymore, is about whether we want to maintain a link to past pronunciation, or to simplify learning for the future. If you look at the Chinese, they don't seem to care that their characters don't even reflect the pronunciation. They get thousands of them beaten into their heads while they're children, and are later proud of it.

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3 View Post
                  Those nonsensical spellings reflect earlier pronunciations of the word. For instance, why do we spell knight with a k and a gh? Because surely enough, in Chaucer's English, it was pronounced: "k-nikh-t, with the kh being analogous to the kh in Khachig.

The debate in Armenian regarding keeping or dispensing of these orthographic fossils that no one pronounces anymore, is about whether we want to maintain a link to past pronunciation, or to simplify learning for the future. If you look at the Chinese, they don't seem to care that their characters don't even reflect the pronunciation. They get thousands of them beaten into their heads while they're children, and are later proud of it.
                  I am sure there are idiots who are proud of the fact that they are idiots but this does not make it right. I know we Armenians are a stubborn people but we can't just stay stuck in the past. If we continue to stay stuck in the past we will never have a future. We should do what is right for us and our childeren and making them learn a language based on stuff that no longer makes any sense is inefficient at best and abuse at worst. Our language(eastern armenian) is far richer then the english language and much more practical since we have a letter for every sound thus we do not need the sh, ch..combos. Maybe a lot more of us would be using Armenians if we were taught the eastern version as children.
                  Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Working...
                  X