Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Sumgait/Baku Gone Unrecognized

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ArmoBarbi
    Your dad was smart about it. Dont you wish that all families had left early on?

oh...we didnt leave Baku..we just went on a so called vacation..just until things settled down a little, then we went back to Baku....but I remember from then on we spent a lot of times hiding in the sellar. We didnt leave Baku until December of 88, which we then moved to Armenia only to come face to face with another big disaster a few days later.

Comment

you left in 88? Thats still good

My family left in 89

Comment

Originally posted by Inna
        oh...we didnt leave Baku..we just went on a so called vacation..just until things settled down a little, then we went back to Baku....but I remember from then on we spent a lot of times hiding in the sellar. We didnt leave Baku until December of 88, which we then moved to Armenia only to come face to face with another big disaster a few days later.

Wow what rotten luck - out of the frying pan and into the fire as it were...so where were you when the Earthquake hit - and I imagine it must have been an incredibly horrible mess and most most sad....

Comment

Originally posted by winoman
          Wow what rotten luck - out of the frying pan and into the fire as it were...so where were you when the Earthquake hit - and I imagine it must have been an incredibly horrible mess and most most sad....
          It was rotten luck...but honestly we had better luck than many people.

Here is what I wrote in an old thread about the 1988 Earthquake:

Originally posted by Inna
          My family and I moved to Leninakan (Gyumri) after fleeing Baku. We didnt actually move there, we were put there, it was one of the cities that had refugees from Baku. All in all, I was there, I dont remember anything, and my parents dont like talking about it much. All I ever got out of them was that there was a man that was working on the house that had been given to us by the government, he apparently saved my life as well as my sisters lives because he quickly grapped us and ran out of the house when he felt the building shake. The tragic part is he saved us, but my parents later found out that he lost his entire family (wife and kids) during the earthquake. That day was also the day my sisters were supposed to start school, but my mom wanted to wait till the next day so we could settle in, thank goodness she waited, because almost all the kids that died that day died because they were in school. Also on that day my dad started his first job, he told me that a few minutes before the earthquake hit he went outside to have a smoke, minutes later the enitre building collapsed and there were few surviviors. Thinking about this is really emotional because I know that I was there, although I dont remember it. Makes you realize that life is a blessing.
          Luckily I dont remember any of it, I was only 4 years old when it happened.

Comment

Wow! wow! wow! Inna - what a story...and how incredibly lucky you are!(well at least it evened out quite a bit eh?) ...and your family...so sad about the man who saved you...and too bad you don't knwo who he is...perhaps you could adopt him (in a sense). Our family had done such a thing back when I was a child. They helped out and basically adopted a man into our family who was from my Grandfather's village near Divrik back in Anatolia...I used to call him and think of him as my Uncle and he always bought me the latest cool comic books whenever we would see him!

Comment

Originally posted by winoman
              Wow! wow! wow! Inna - what a story...and how incredibly lucky you are!(well at least it evened out quite a bit eh?) ...and your family...so sad about the man who saved you...and too bad you don't knwo who he is...perhaps you could adopt him (in a sense). Our family had done such a thing back when I was a child. They helped out and basically adopted a man into our family who was from my Grandfather's village near Divrik back in Anatolia...I used to call him and think of him as my Uncle and he always bought me the latest cool comic books whenever we would see him!
              yeah..that would have been nice to adopt him into our family..but he was an Armenian from Armenia..he lived there his whole life, I'm sure he had parents and siblings that took care of them...at the time we had just moved into a foreign country...yes we were Armenian, but we knew no one and my parents barely spoke the language. In fact, my dad was determined to leave Armenia (and go to Russia) after the earthquake...he didnt see much hope in our families future in Armenia. He only stayed because he met a man who persuaded him not to leave because so many Armenians were already leaving...he told my dad about a place in Echmiadzin that took in refugees so we moved there and lived there for 3 and a half yrs. I got to say though..as a child, living in Armenia was the best childhood a kid could have..so much adventure

Comment

I just found out this morning in a casual conversation with my mother that I was in Armenia during the earthquake!

We also went on "vacation" during the events. It happened to be at the time of the earthquake. We were visiting with relatives in Yerevan and felt it. My mother said it wasnt anything bad, and they didnt even realize that it was from a serious earthquake until they heard about it hours later.

There is so much I grew up not knowing about my childhood. Its amazing.

Comment

Wow... I never knew about this ... piss turc pezevenk ....is the only thing i can come up with to say sorry but this is terrible ......wow

Comment

Working...
                  X