Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Elements Of Pre-christian Religion In Armenia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elements Of Pre-christian Religion In Armenia

Elements of Pre-Christian Religion in Today's Armenia

Source1
    Source2

During my visit to the Republic of Armenia in March through April 1998, I noticed the great extent of symbols and rituals dating back to Pre-Christian times that Armenian society has conserved. In many cases it is possible to follow particular religious features from pre-historic and ancient times to the modern era. I will focus on the earlier mentioned icons of paganism; the Tree of Life, eagles, dragons, the Sun and eternity symbols and comment briefly on the rituals of animal sacrifice, 'Beauty Motherhood Day' and 'Water Day'.

One of the peculiar silhouettes that add to the originality of Yerevan's skyline is one of the monuments at Victory Park on a hill overlooking downtown. What first appears to be an awkward concrete tower with a small metal crown, at a closer look bears close resemblance to the Tree of Life. In ancient Urartian art you often come across the image of sacred trees, Trees of Life, often flanked by two winged genies. The same theme is also common in Assyrian art, and a silver goblet of presumed Hittite origins, found in Georgia, depicts a procession of masked hierophants in attendance on a high priest enthroned between an enormous goblet-shaped vessel and a sacred tree.

Another ancient motif that has endured the Christianization of Armenia is the Dragon. Vishapner or serpents, mythological creatures that we in the West most often associate with the Far East, are also present in Armenian culture, but their role in modern society is more peripheral than in Far East, where they still are central motives. The location of rock inscriptions of dragons next to the sources of streams in Armenia, indicate their role in the animistic beliefs of the ancient inhabitants of the Armenian Highland. On a visit to Echmiadzin, the religious center of the Armenian Apostolic Church, I was shown a priest's staff with the heads of two serpents or dragons. In Armenian carpet weaving there is a special category of carpets called Vishapagor (dragon carpets), which depict one or more serpents, or other times, just include parts of these creatures in their intricate patterns.

Except for the above mentioned examples, dragons are rare in Armenian art, architecture and heraldry. Eagles on the other hand are favorite themes. The Armenian national emblem, as well as various military and party emblems, and monuments have eagles depicted on them. Its origins in Armenia may be linked to the Urartian Eagle God, Artsibidini.

Perhaps the most common Pre-Christian symbol still in use today, is the round, whirling symbol of eternity. In Armenia it is found everywhere, in architecture; on doors, walls and on tombstones. It can also be found as part of various logotypes including the Dashnaktsutyun Party. Though it is said to mean eternity it also resembles the sun, and is probably connected to the ancient sun-worship, from which also the swastika and other sun-like symbols derive. Interestingly, the whirling symbol also bears some resemblance to cyclones or depictions of black holes in space. The earliest roots of round whirling sun-like symbols in the Armenian Highland are rock inscriptions from the Stone Age.

A visit to the Yerevan Historical Museum at Republic Square (former Lenin Square) reveals how the above named symbols have been present in the cultures of the Armenian Highland throughout history. Sun and eternity signs are inscribed on bronze work from the 10th to 8th century BC, swastikas on small iron squares from 13th to 11th century BC, most likely worn as medallions or clothing ornaments. The swastika is rare on later artifacts, but the sun and eternity symbols are found on ceramics from Dvin of the 10th to 13th century AD and on textiles from the 18th century AD.

A religious hymn from the 10th century AD, written by the well known Armenian ecclesiastical writer Gregory of Narek, begins with an ode to the sun.

O Sun of justice,
    Blessed ray of light,
    Archetypal radiance;
    Ardently desired,
    Exalted, impenetrable,
    Powerful, infallible,
    Joyfulness of good things,
    Hope realized,

The 'Sun of Justice' is here an epithet for Jesus Christ, often used in Armenian ecclesiastical writing.

The sun is also a common feature in Armenian church architecture and sculpture. Likewise, the stone-crosses, that are found throughout historical Armenian lands, are often flanked by suns. Apparently the sun gave way to the cross as the most prominent symbol in Armenia's religion, but as we can see from the abundance of sun and eternity symbols in logotypes, architecture and virtually everywhere else where Armenians live, these symbols continue to be central themes in Armenian culture and art into present times. Interestingly enough, Armenians are traditionally buried with their head facing east, the direction of the rising sun.

Worship of the sun and light being the central theme in the religion of pre-historical Armenia it might even have given the land it's name. Sun in Armenian is aregak and arev, east is arevyelk and morning is ar'avot. Recent studies claim that the Indo-European (Aryan) homeland included the Armenian Highland, but these theories are still under debate.

Not to forget of course, Mount Ararat has the same root as the above mentioned words. Surely this prominent peak was as sacred to the ancient inhabitants of Ararat Valley, as Mount Fuji was (or is) to the Japanese. Its spiritual significance has most likely been adopted in the Old Testament's account of Noah's Ark. The spiritual importance of Mount Ararat has if anything grown in our century, as a result of the Genocide of Armenians in Turkey in 1915. Ararat's location in modern Turkey, but visible from Yerevan and the entire Ararat valley, the heartland of modern Armenia, has made the mountain an icon of remembrance for the genocide of Armenians under the Young Turk regime and Turkey's occupation of historical Armenian lands. The two peaks, Greater Ararat and Lesser Ararat are portrayed on Armenian bills of 10, 100, and 500 dram denominations, as well as being the centerpiece of the Republic's National emblem, where Noah's ark stranded upon the mountain is also included. In one of the cave shrines adjacent to the church at Geghard, a postcard of Mount Ararat was placed next to the Virgin Mary on the stone altar, when I visited this site.

At the same church, animals are still sacrificed. Sheep and poultry are sold outside the church for this very purpose. The uniqueness of the church is that it is built partly inside a cave, relief and ornaments are carved out of the rock. One of the central motives in the ornament is an eagle with a lamb in its claws, flanked by two lions. Jennifer Teasdale, an English teacher at the American University witnessed the sacrifice of a sheep at Geghard, and was served the meat from a sacrificed sheep by her Armenian hosts at another occasion. She shared the following account with me:

In March of 1997, I visited Geghard Church in the Kotayk region of Armenia. During my visit, I witnessed a sacrificial offering of a sheep. A family brought a live sheep to the church courtyard. One of the priests stood in front of a khachkar and said a prayer over the sheep. As he was praying, he made motions over the sheep with his right hand, in which he held a cross. After this was done, the family dragged the sheep to an area just outside the walls of the church courtyard. Here, there was a cement floor with a drain in it, poles which held up a tin roof, and a bar that was attached horizontally on the poles, and from which two metal hooks hung. A man was there, ready to receive the sheep. He first tied the sheep's legs together around the ankles. Then he knelt down on the sheep, and cut its throat. The sheep struggled a bit while it bled from the cut. The blood went down the drain. When the sheep had stopped struggling, the man cut off the feet first and then the head. He hung the sheep on one of the hooks and proceeded to skin the sheep. The meat was then cut up; presumably the man was a butcher or at least had an understanding of how to divide up the meat properly.

In an attempt to better understand the significance of this sacrifice, I will relate the following story that took place during the same year. The three-year-old niece of a friend had been very ill; her family went to church and promised that if the girl recovered, they would sacrifice a sheep on her next birthday. She did recover, and I was present at her fourth birthday party. At this party, we were served mutton; her grandmother told me that this meat was from a sheep that they had sacrificed. My friend then told me the entire story, and indicated that it was common for a family that has sacrificed an animal to take at least some of the meat home and prepare it for a special meal .

The French-Armenian magazine Nouvelles d'Armenie published pictures of a similar sacrifice, in honor of the release of Vahan Hovannisian, a member of the formerly outlawed Dashnaktsutyun party, from prison. The photographs, taken by Max Sivaslian, show a lamb being beheaded and Vahan Hovannissian having blood smeared on his forehead in the shape of a cross, being embraced by his friends.

The 7th of April Armenians celebrate 'Motherhood and Beauty Day,' a holiday dedicated to all women, but mothers especially. They are given flowers and twigs with fresh sprouts. This celebration, which coincides with the coming of spring might very well be a remnant of pagan fertility cults. Vardumyan, whom we have mentioned earlier, traces the celebration to the cult of Anahit. She cites manuscript #2496 at Matenadaran, the Armenian national archive for ancient manuscripts, which describes a vernal equinox festival to Anahit, held in April. In June, Armenia celebrates 'Water Day'. Vardumyan, links this tradition with Anahit and Astghik, who both were associated with water. On this occasion people roam the streets with cups and bowls full of water, which they poor on one another. Men and women of all ages take part in good spirits, but the children are naturally the most active participants.

Concluding Remarks

We have seen how pagan symbols such as the Tree of Life, dragons, eagles, and the Sun can be traced on architecture and on artifacts throughout the history of the Armenian people, how Mount Ararat continues to have great spiritual significance for the Armenian nation, how the practice of animal sacrifice has survived and how ancient rituals of fertility are preserved in the celebrations of 'Beauty and Motherhood Day' and 'Water Day'. The longevity of Pre-Christian traditions among the Armenians is much a consequence of their unique heritage as, what David Marshal Lang calls, a 'Cradle of Civilization,' and the location of their homeland at the crossroads between the ancient civilizations of Europe and Asia. Armenia's position gave her diverse influences during pre-historic and ancient times. Resistance to invaders in the Medieval Era encouraged the Armenians to conserve their cultural uniqueness in order to survive as a nation, and the isolation of this land-locked mountainous country in modern times helped to preserve ancient customs. As the bearer of Pre-Christian traditions whose equivalents have fallen into obscurity or have been purged in other parts of the world, Armenia is an intriguing window to the past.

Originally posted by Red Brigade

The longevity of Pre-Christian traditions among the Armenians is much a consequence of their unique heritage as, what David Marshal Lang calls, a 'Cradle of Civilization,' and the location of their homeland at the crossroads between the ancient civilizations of Europe and Asia. Armenia's position gave her diverse influences during pre-historic and ancient times. Resistance to invaders in the Medieval Era encouraged the Armenians to conserve their cultural uniqueness in order to survive as a nation, and the isolation of this land-locked mountainous country in modern times helped to preserve ancient customs. As the bearer of Pre-Christian traditions whose equivalents have fallen into obscurity or have been purged in other parts of the world, Armenia is an intriguing window to the past.
    It is probably more due to the fact that Armenia's "conversion" was, as I had argued in another post recently, mostly just for convenience to start with. As such, the ordinary population was not inconvenienced too much by having their pagan customs proscribed and purged. Some customs were adopted as Christian customs, others were just conveniently ignored by the Church.
    Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat
      It is probably more due to the fact that Armenia's "conversion" was, as I had argued in another post recently, mostly just for convenience to start with. As such, the ordinary population was not inconvenienced too much by having their pagan customs proscribed and purged. Some customs were adopted as Christian customs, others were just conveniently ignored by the Church.
      Typical of Christianity's adoption everywhere in the world. Romans did it - and look at the Catholic Church in Latin America...Christianity (or any foreign religion) would not have a chance to be adopted if it completely purged the old known tried and true ways....

Comment

i love the old armenian ways... i'd rather play vartevor any day then go to some organized place for prayer... God knows me personally i dont need to go somewhere like a church to show that i am a moral person... especially where i feel that i am not welcome because i am a girl...

for those that dont know - if you are girl you are not allowed to step past a bowndry that "god" has set out for you, physically inside the church, but a guy can go...
        and if you are on your period you are considered "dirty" in church and you are not allowed to go inside the church... this is officially in the books however people dont pay attention...

SOOO! with that said i believe that if God has created women to have their periods then he doesnt feel that it is dirty... as a matter of fact if God had anything to say about it, it would seem like it is the most important portion of the cycle of life and God would consider the period the most saint like thing...

anywho thats all i have to say about organized religion...

Comment

Working...
        X