Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Origin of Indo-European element in Armenian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Origin of Indo-European element in Armenian

Originally posted by retro View Post
    Whilst the Caucasus and Asia Minor are obviously important Indo-European homelands. The Indo-Europeans like the Turkic/Mongol peoples are originally from Central Asia and these nomadic Eurasian Steppe cultures are very ancient indeed.

Hurro-Urartian culture emerged far later. Whilst Armenia has been Eastern Indo-Europeanise. Hurrian has strong Eastern Indo-European (Northern Caucasian/Iranic) cultural/linguistic links and Armenia is in a sence really a distinctive bridge between Semitic and Indo-European regions.
    And what sources are your views based on when you say that the Caucasus and Asia Minor are important Indo-European homelands? How do you fit the PIE homeland to encompass both the Caucasus/Asia Minor area and also Central Asia?

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3 View Post
      And what sources are your views based on when you say that the Caucasus and Asia Minor are important Indo-European homelands? How do you fit the PIE homeland to encompass both the Caucasus/Asia Minor area and also Central Asia?
      People do not have a single point of origin. The Indo-Europeans where semi-nomadic and Caucasus/Asia Minor are very closely associated with Indo-European culture. Indeed many anthropologists actually go far as to maintain that the Indo-Europeans originated from the region.

Comment

Originally posted by retro View Post
        People do not have a single point of origin. The Indo-Europeans where semi-nomadic and Caucasus/Asia Minor are very closely associated with Indo-European culture. Indeed many anthropologists actually go far as to maintain that the Indo-Europeans originated from the region.
        Before we begin, I would like to stress that "Indo-European" is a strictly linguistic term, referring to a family of languages and not a race/tribe/civilization. We admit that proto-Indo-European must've been spoken within a much more condensed geographic range compared to where its daughter languages ended up (in such far flung corners of the world as Ireland and Western China, and which after the colonial era, would come to dominate the entire world with the likes of English, French, Spanish, etc...). In short, to speak of an "Indo-European" race just doesn't work. What we can engage in is cultural reconstruction, but this is heavily based on cultural artifacts retained in the daughter languages, and matching them up with archaeological findings whenever possible in order to give more weight to the reconstruction.

But let me ask you, what are the traits of this "common culture" as you see it? And which anthropologists are you thinking of when you say Asia Minor/Caucasus culture is very similar to Indo-European culture? I'd like to know, so I can start reading anything I've missed.

Just a warning though, several anthropologists think they're onto the Indo-Europeans after digging up kurgan burials, some pottery, designs engraved on rocks, etc... In short, they dig up the material culture of pre-historic societies and based on their finders, and try to infer to us what language they spoke, without even knowing the first thing about linguistics.
        Last edited by jgk3; 10-18-2009, 07:33 PM.

Comment

I personally subscribe to Colin Renfrew's theory about IE homeland in Anatolia and Armenian Highland. It is today one of the most accepted theories, although, both the Ukrainian kurgans and the Balkans are also in circulation.

a, Majority-rule consensus tree based on the MCMC sample of 1,000 trees. The main language groupings are colour coded. Branch lengths are proportional to the inferred maximum-likelihood estimates of evolutionary change per cognate. Values above each branch (in black) express the bayesian posterior probabilities as a percentage. Values in red show the inferred ages of nodes in years BP. *Italic also includes the French/Iberian subgroup. Panels b–e show the distribution of divergence-time estimates at the root of the Indo-European phylogeny for: b, initial assumption set using all cognate information and most stringent constraints (Anatolian, Tocharian, (Greek, Armenian, Albanian, (Iranian, Indic), (Slavic, Baltic), ((North Germanic, West Germanic), Italic, Celtic))); c, conservative cognate coding with doubtful cognates excluded; d, all cognate sets with minimum topological constraints (Anatolian, Tocharian, (Greek, Armenian, Albanian, (Iranian, Indic), (Slavic, Baltic), (North Germanic, West Germanic), Italic, Celtic)); e, missing data coding with minimum topological constraints and all cognate sets. Shaded bars represent the implied age ranges under the two competing theories of Indo-European origin: blue, Kurgan hypothesis; green, Anatolian farming hypothesis. The relationship between the main language groups in the consensus tree for each analysis is also shown, along with posterior probability values.
          Attached Files

Comment

Re: Are Armenians white????

Originally posted by Armanen View Post
            Linguistics is in your field of study jg, why don't you provide us with what you have concluded, or at least have come across?
            Armenian, Greek, Phrygian and Indo-Iranian can be seen to share common innovations not shared by the other branches, such as the e-augment (Indo-European e- prefix) for aorist construction (past perfective*, **), which we see in Armenian for constructions like yega, yegha (I came, I became).

*perfective is a verbal aspect used to invoke a single event, able to stand on its own independent of references of time (past, present, future) or implication of continued relevance. For example, in English, the form "I ate" can be seen as perfective because it simply describes the event that one has eaten. This form could appear regardless of whether the event takes place in the past or present: "I ate yesterday", 'I ate today". There is another form of the verb to eat, which does not have this liberty: "I've eaten". If you say I have eaten, it directly attaches relevance to your present state. You would say this if one has asked you if you're hungry, to which you might reply, "No, I've eaten already", or if you're asked if you ate today, "Yes, I've eaten". If someone asked if you ate yesterday, replying "I've eaten yesterday" sounds strange, since eaten implies a relevance to your state here and now. It is better to reply using the English perfective aspect felt in "I ate", because it's simply stating a fact that you ate, with no implications on your present state.

**Past perfective (often known as the aorist merely limits the time frame of the perfective aspect to the past.

This fact alone however is not enough to establish a subgroup, but rather that those Indo-European languages might've experienced a common trend which established itself within a certain geographical territory, not affecting its cousin languages spoken outside of its boundaries. This e-augment phenomenon, along with some other phonological developments, are used to convincingly argue that Indo-Iranian, Greek, Armenian and Phrygian comes from the dialects which were the last to leave the Proto-Indo-European homeland. But in ascribing sub-group status to these dialects, one must question whether or not they received these innovations due to genetic inheritance from a common ancestor. It appears more likely that this innovation sprang from one of the dialects, gained a lot of popularity in it and interfered with the internal grammatical knowledge of speakers of proto-Armenians, proto-Greeks, proto-Indo-Iranians, etc... all still living in the same homeland territory, but having already diversified dialectally into the distinct ancestors of those Indo-European groups. If the latter case is so, then the e-augment cannot conclusively argue that these languages form a sub-group. To illustrate a parallel example of this interference, look at Western Armenian usage of the particle "gor" for present (progressive) tense. This came from Turkic, not Indo-European, but interfered (through bilingualism and reanalysis of one known language according to patterns of the other) with the grammatical structure spoken by Armenians up until that point. It would be stupid to conclude on this basis that "gor" is the key to subgrouping Turkish and Western Armenian together. It is the same case with why using the e-augment case to sub-group all the language families it is present in, would be jumping the gun.

There is however, a hypothesis that claims sub-group status between Armenian and Greek via many grammatical parallelisms features between the two, both morphologically and phonologically, but there is no consensus yet on the matter. It is still at the level of debate. I look forward to learning more about the arguments of both sides. It would also help me greatly to understand the debate if I knew the respective ancient languages and think critically about each of them. Here's a very brief history of the debate without going into detail about the arguments it has seen: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graeco-Armenian

Comment

Language is more like a bush than a branch though.... it's pretty damn hard to trace its roots. There is a traditional Irish name Carraig which refers to "rocky headland" in Gaelic. As most people here know, Kar means rock in Armenian. In English... car, cart, carriage all refer to transportation. While Rock, Roche means stone in English and French.... and Rocca in Italian.

This leads me to believe that the Flintstones was a cartoon based on true history since the first form of transportation was made out of stone.
              "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

I think the English cognate of Armenian kar (rock) is "hard", both coming from Indo-European "Kar" http://www.myetymology.com/proto-ind...pean/kar-.html
                And Carraig is built from the Indo-European root "Kar": http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/gaeilge/don.../focal234.html

Rock/Rocca is found earliest from Latin, I'm not sure if there's a root for it in Indo-European. It's presence as a loanword from Latin to Old French to English might've played a role in displacing the Old English form "heard" (Modern English: hard) from indicating "rock", and reanalyzing this word's meaning as one of a rock's characteristics, it's "hardness".

A little research, but good to know

Comment

Does that strip me of the right to engage in criticism? For that enterprise is an easy one, as you might have noticed when challenging other peoples' statements with unrelenting frequency. Posting undeniable facts to critics is a much more tedious enterprise of which not many of us here seem intent on doing when we make our statements. Instead, we mostly criticize one another wherever we feel it is necessary.
                  You can't expect others not to sh!t on the table then reserve the right to do it yourself. Just making sure next time you post your usual cr@p, back it up upon the post, not after-wards.

Comment

Originally posted by levon View Post
                    You can't expect others not to sh!t on the table then reserve the right to do it yourself. Just making sure next time you post your usual cr@p, back it up upon the post, not after-wards.
                    This is a forum, not an academic circle. You can't expect people to back up everything they ever say, and I am making it clear that I don't expect others to be perfect. That said, I reserve the right to criticize others, as you have.

I'm also pointing out that we criticize people only when we feel ennervated by their comments, but otherwise don't care one way or another how people formulate their posts despite the fact that the vast majority of them aren't backed up in a manner that defies all possible criticism.

Comment

This is a forum, not an academic circle. You can't expect people to back up everything they ever say, and I am making it clear that I don't expect others to be perfect. That said, I reserve the right to criticize others, as you have.
                      I think criticism is great. I never said you shouldn't. Just pointed out the fact that since you criticize others for their lack of support of the content they post, you should make sure not to do the same (in your future posts).

Comment

Working...
                      X