Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Origin of Indo-European element in Armenian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Origin of Indo-European element in Armenian

I pretty much look like the dude in my avatar.

Comment

Originally posted by TomServo
      I pretty much look like the dude in my avatar.
      reminds me of adam sandler, sort of, except with big hair.

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3
        reminds me of adam sandler, sort of, except with big hair.

Comment

Originally posted by TomServo
          Vous les quebecois ne pouvez même pas parler le français correctement, petits campagnards.
          Correctement? Le francais des Quebecois y est la langue de la nobilite. Apres les revolutions francaises, la langue authentique de la france a ete remplace par la langues des campagnards, mais la langue des Quebecois n'y avait jamais change. C'est presque la meme cas pour les Icelandais et les Norveges...

Pardonnez-moi pour la manque des accents, j'en n'ai pas une clavier francaise.

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3
            Interesting... First of all, what is a Medd? I've never heard of that term and can't seem to find out what it is on the internet.
            "Medd" referes to Mediteranean. He may have misspelled it, and added an extra d . Except the way Armenian uses it is a pretty broad term. There are differences between "Meds", hence "Med" types are further grouped. The major component amongst Armenians is Eastern Med. The common Med type in Europe is Atlanto Med. Eastern Med componnents are also plenty in Turkey and Lebanon, also a decent amount in Greece and Bulgaria, although, in Greece especially, there are more Atlanto-Meds. In the East of the Mediteranean is where Eastern Meds are found . Very few Armenians are Atlanto-Med.

and group us together with the Georgians,
            What is your objection to this? Georgians represent a typical south Caucasian type, the predominant type amonst Caucasian Armenians, although there are more "lighter" types more similar with North Caucasian groups.

Azeris,
            Azeris are mainly Irano-Afgan. Some amounts of Irano-Afgan elements exist amongst Armenians, but probably not enough to be "lumped" with them.

many Turks
            Many turks are former Armenians so that is not entirely out of the question.

and "even" Kurds

Even kurds have former Armenians so that is not entirely out of the question.

They say that our blood is what's responsible for the sadism and that cunning look found in the xxxs.
            I have a pretty good idea of what you were reading, except they would be greatly challenged in findin sadistic practices amongst Armenians.

Thirdly, how are we Alpine (even though we may resemble them)? They live all the way in, generally speaking, Switzerland!
            I was a reading a Russian anthropological article which talked of the Alpine race. It proposed several locations for the development of the Alpine race. The thesis was that the Alpine race developed in one place and that Alpines of the Caucasus and the Alpines of Central Europe have the same ancestors -- ones have been "Nordicized", the others "Medicized".

Fourthly, this mix you speak of... Is it a well rounded mix, or do some Armenians appear more, say Dinaric than others (which seems likely if you ask me).
            Genotypes are not the same thing as phenotypes. What you say is true and may even be true when it comes to siblings.

BTW, "Dinaricism" occurs by blending Alpines with longer faced types.
            Last edited by skhara; 01-10-2006, 05:38 PM.

Comment

thank you for the informative response. I appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by karoaper
                nice site, the tree of Indo-European languages is impressive.

As far as the Indo-European connection, I heard that Armenoids had originally come down to Armenia from the north several millenia BC. And originally they were blue eyed and lighter skinned. This of course changed with time. I had a hard time believeing this, but it's interesting to note that Hayk is actually blue eyed and blond. I know he's a mythical hero, but still, it's like there was a memory in our ancestors' minds of being lighter.
                My understanding is that "Armenoids" are more olive-skinned and have large noses.

Not all Armenians are Armenoids. I remember when I was at Lake Sevan I bought a bottle of water from a boy who had dirty blonde hair and hazel eyes. His grandfather (who was with him), however, looked more "Armenoid." Maybe his mother was a Molokan or something. Maybe she was a Subbotnik Hrya?

Comment

Well, from the sources I read, I saw that Armenoids are merely darker Dinarics. In any case, I see Alpine features very often in Armenians too, so I don't care to resort to the idea we're all Armenoid either.

Besides, Skhara's post here suggests that Dinaricism occurs by blending Alpines with longer face types.
                  In the Armenian populace, we have a fair share of short face types and long face types.

I'm not perfect at defining all the phenotypes when I see them. for example, what category does a compact yet squarish face fall into, with a long, straight nose and long narrow nostrils, and a large round chin easily defined from the rest of the face?

Comment

The Medes are actually the ancient Iranians who lived mainly in the north of Persia, a region which is populated by azeris these days and according to some historians the so called Iranian azeris are in fact the ancient medes who have been turkified during centuries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medes

Comment

I thought it was the Kurds who claimed to be descendants of the Medeans.

Comment

Working...
                      X