Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Origins of the name Yerevan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Origins of the name Yerevan

Originally posted by karoaper
    lol, that's hillarious. How about the legend that Noah told one of his sons "Ar men (you stay here)". These are just legends. They're neat but I doubt they have real connection. Yerevan sits on the ruins of an ancient Urartu city called Erebuni. I would think the phonetic connection to Erebuni explains the origins of the city's name. But I'm actually not sure 100%.
    Urartuan analyses of the region and title prescribed to it are one of the many legends associated with it.

However, a more inductive closer study summarizes that the EREBUNI/Yerevan title dates back to the 8th century BC, and named after the military named "Erebuni" of the ancient Urartuans.

700 BC----1BC{}1AD--------------2006

Comment

The present "Yerevan", is the ancient capital of Urartu and was founded by King Argisthi I in year 782BC and named "Erebouni". The Uratuian name of "Erebouni" has changed during the passed 2700 years of Armenian assimilation of the Urartu's native inhabitants and their original language.

Yerevan was until about 90 years ago called "Erivan" (or "Iravan" as Persians call it) in the maps. So one can relatively "easily" track the changes of the name "Erebouni" to "Erivan" to the present "Yerevan" through the history.

As far as it goes for the idea of what Yerevan means, I'm not sure if that applied to Erebouni as well, but it could. The version I have heard backtracks to King Argishti and not Noah. The history goes that King Argishti, searching for a location for his new capital (Van was then the capital of Urartu) came to the place where they suddenly saw Mt. Ararat (which even then was regarded as an holy mountain by the surrounding peoples). Hence the city was called Erebouni, or in its modern pronunciation Yerevan, derived from "yereval" (Armenian for being visible, showing, appear) and "van" (Armenian suffix for places, frequently used in e.g. Idjevan, Nakhichevan, Stepanavan etc.). However, I don't have sufficient knowledge about the Urartuian language or if this theory could be applied on the name Erebouni as well.

Comment

Originally posted by armenica
        As far as it goes for the idea of what Yerevan means, I'm not sure if that applied to Erebouni as well, but it could. The version I have heard backtracks to King Argishti and not Noah. The history goes that King Argishti, searching for a location for his new capital (Van was then the capital of Urartu) came to the place where they suddenly saw Mt. Ararat (which even then was regarded as an holy mountain by the surrounding peoples). Hence the city was called Erebouni, or in its modern pronunciation Yerevan, derived from "yereval" (Armenian for being visible, showing, appear) and "van" (Armenian suffix for places, frequently used in e.g. Idjevan, Nakhichevan, Stepanavan etc.). However, I don't have sufficient knowledge about the Urartuian language or if this theory could be applied on the name Erebouni as well.
        Wow - that beauty almost beats the 'Bitlis' = 'Bad Lis' name origin explanation! Is there a 'Book of Things That Idiots Believe is History' on your bookshelf?
        Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat
          Wow - that beauty almost beats the 'Bitlis' = 'Bad Lis' name origin explanation! Is there a 'Book of Things That Idiots Believe is History' on your bookshelf?
          Noop, none that I have. But I'll make sure to remeber that you MUST have one, in case anybody wants to borrow a copy.

Comment

Originally posted by Sip
            Turks read?

no turks dont read, just armenians read.. yerevan is of course from the turkish name Erivan.. u read an international history and see the reality.
            so u think turks were not here till middle ages??? what a history... what u know about sumers! they were talking turkish, tradition turkish and religion like ancieant turks and were they from space? Urartus are armenians or kurdish or persian state? turks dont read, so can u explain us...
            i have never heard that armenians had ther own independent state till 1991 and have u ever visit turkiye and armenia? one starving and one in abundance... dont judge urself,, ask ur relatives who lives in turkiye...
            i have armenian friend too, thanks god he dont have prejudge such as you ignorant..

Comment

Originally posted by mdundar57
              i have never heard that armenians had ther own independent state till 1991...
              Thank you! I think this summerizes you knowledge about the region more than necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by armenica
                Thank you! I think this summerizes you knowledge about the region more than necessary.
                i think i know enough about all these regions and world, but the problem is do you? so can u tell me a name of ur independent state in the history? during the history armenians lived like a tribe and vassals so u called that is like a kingdom, but its always been that armenians lived between two strong states as a buffer zone, but always ruled by other nations, eventhough still it seems ur an independent country but who is protecting ur borders? you or russian soldiers?
                i dont read turkish recordings for armenian history, i read Kevork Aslan's books who is an armenian historican
                i also want you to know that urartus were came form middle asia and who is language was Ural-altay which armenians is indian-europen and satem group.
                you know if a country speaks ural-altay language it means its tradition is ural altay.. such as Turkish states... sumers and Iskiths were the turkish states living in anatolia.

and there have never been heard a name of armenia till persians recordings in middle of 500 B.C.
                i want you to prouf me that armenians are the sons of urartus, proof if u can find any smilar language, word, or a including a sentence word armenian in it. any records? any epigraph, any tablet that shows a relationship between urartu state and armenians?
                and dont forget, history cant be written with legends, history written with realities..

Comment

Originally posted by mdundar57
                  i think i know enough about all these regions and world, but the problem is do you? so can u tell me a name of ur independent state in the history? during the history armenians lived like a tribe and vassals so u called that is like a kingdom, but its always been that armenians lived between two strong states as a buffer zone, but always ruled by other nations, eventhough still it seems ur an independent country but who is protecting ur borders? you or russian soldiers?
                  i dont read turkish recordings for armenian history, i read Kevork Aslan's books who is an armenian historican
                  i also want you to know that urartus were came form middle asia and who is language was Ural-altay which armenians is indian-europen and satem group.
                  you know if a country speaks ural-altay language it means its tradition is ural altay.. such as Turkish states... sumers and Iskiths were the turkish states living in anatolia.

and there have never been heard a name of armenia till persians recordings in middle of 500 B.C.
                  i want you to prouf me that armenians are the sons of urartus, proof if u can find any smilar language, word, or a including a sentence word armenian in it. any records? any epigraph, any tablet that shows a relationship between urartu state and armenians?
                  and dont forget, history cant be written with legends, history written with realities..
                  Sorry to say this again, but you don't seem to have any deeper knowledge about the history, neither Armenian nor the region. What you are describing above is your very narrow minded perspective of how you percieve it to be.

To call the Armenian kingodoms for "tribes" is not only a very bad generalisation of the facts stored in historical documents and maps, it is not even close to the truth.

Your argumentation is shallow and your deductions are to hasty and unfounded. The Urartus did not transform into Armenians over one night. The process happened over almost a millenia or even longer. The "Armenian" Indo-European tribes assimilate the Uratuian peoples exaclty as the Turkish tribes assimilate the Greeks of Asia Minor. If you are interested you can read it on our site http://www.armenica.org

History is not only valid if you find a clay tablet which states "Armenians were here". History is about research, finding facts, investigate the relations and connections and deduct a logical result from the source material.

So try to be some more systematic and think a bit more before you come to conclusions. The world history would be much much much shorter if we had taken into account only those events and facts which have been written down and preserved to our times.

Comment

armenica,
                    You should not take Jurks that seriously. Honestly, based on mundar's posts, do you honestly think there can be an honest and intelligent debate?
                    They also think that "Anatolia" is from the *utkish "ana" and "dolu???" I will let you imagine the degree ignorance and obscurantism that reigns in TEMPORARILY SO CALLED Turkey.
                    In the past, they have claimed themselves descendants of the Hittites and now Sumerians? Of course, neither the Hittites nor the Sumerians spoke an Ural-Altaic language, but that seems to be irrelevant to mentally underdeveloped *urks. It's also needless to say that Sumerians did not live in TEMPORARILY SO CALLED Turkey.

Note: I have chosen to auto censor the words "*urk," "*urkish" or *urkic" because it is commonly perceived as unpleasant and offending, evokes unpleasant emotions and imagery and is pregnant with immoral and evil connotations!
                    What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Siamanto
                      armenica,
                      You should not take Jurks that seriously. Honestly, based on mundar's posts, do you honestly think there can be an honest and intelligent debate?
                      They also think that "Anatolia" is from the *utkish "ana" and "dolu???" I will let you imagine the degree ignorance and obscurantism that reigns in TEMPORARILY SO CALLED Turkey.
                      In the past, they have claimed themselves descendants of the Hittites and now Sumerians? Of course, neither the Hittites nor the Sumerians spoke an Ural-Altaic language, but that seems to be irrelevant to mentally underdeveloped *urks. It's also needless to say that Sumerians did not live in TEMPORARILY SO CALLED Turkey.

Note: I have chosen to auto censor the words "*urk," "*urkish" or *urkic" because it is commonly perceived as unpleasant and offending, evokes unpleasant emotions and imagery and is pregnant with immoral and evil connotations!

What idiots these Turks are. Even the name "Istanbul" is a bastardization of the Greek term for "in the city".

I love how they claim to be descendents of the Phrygians, Sumerians, Urartrians, and Hittites, yet they still followed that old gray wolf out of Central Asia arounf 1,000 AD, right?

Comment

Working...
                      X