Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Origins of the name Yerevan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Origins of the name Yerevan

I recommend you guys to watch the Chinese made movie called "Warriors of Heaven and Earth". Besides being a beautiful film, it showcases the original turks, called by that name Turk, as hordes of barbaric nomadic bastards who terrorize the heroes of the movie. They ride on horses and carry flags with the picture of a wolf. These are quite simply the forefathers of all the turks spread all around the world today. I think these forefathers would be very proud of their descendants.

Oh, anyone who says that Sumerians spoke Turkish should . In fact we should get the suicide smilie added here for the times when we get infested with turks.
    Last edited by karoaper; 10-11-2006, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Before you read the following passage, please read and compare.

I have am currently working on a financing for a project in the Turks & Caicos Islands, have been there several times and know the history, culture, politics of the Caribbean quite well. The first passage explains the roots of Turks & Caicos. The second passage by in the Turkish Daily News attests to official Turkish Revisionism and Ataturk's "Sun Theory" relating everything to Turks.

"HOW WAS TURKS & CAICOS ISLANDS NAME DERIVED?

The popular story is the name Turks being derived after the indigenous Turk's Head "fez" cactus, pictured on the left, and the name Caicos, a Lucayan term "caya hico," meaning string of islands.

A more romantic, origin of the name is a reflection of the Islands' pirate history, when 17th and 18th century pirates used the islands as hideouts and preyed upon the passing Spanish treasure ships bound for Europe. The term "Turk" for a pirate stemmed two centuries earlier when the Ottoman Empire dominated the Mediterranean and Turkish corsairs harried European Atlantic shipping, thus translated "Turks" Islands becomes "Pirate" Islands!

The non-intuitive nom is often mispelt as Turks and Cacos and Turk and Caicos Islands. We have even see an occasional envelope arrive with the address 'Turks and Tacos' ! And speaking of mail, some mail arriving here has been branded with a trail of postmarks showing its trip here via a small detour to Turkey. "

Now read the nationalist Turkish version. I guess he subscribes to Ataturks "SUN THEORY"

Turkish Daily News: Explore the latest Turkish news, including Turkey news, politics, political updates, and current affairs. Kurds According to Google's AI Bard - 22:47

Turks discovered America first

Wednesday, July 5, 2006

Historian Yurtsever says he has broken the codes of Ottoman Admiral Piri Reis and claims Turks founded a country in the Americas
      ANKARA – Turkish Daily News

**Historian Cezmi Yurtsever said he had*broken the secret codes of a map belonging to*16th century Ottoman Admiral Piri Reis and claimed that the Turks had discovered America 25 years before Christopher Colombus, establishing a government in the New World.

**Speaking at a press conference he said he thought boats drawn on the map east of Cuba could have been a code for something and upon investigation, ascertained*that there was a country called Turks and Caicos in the vicinity.

**?It is no coincidence that a country with the word 'Turk' in its name*exists*there. As Piri Reis was drawing*up*his map in 1513, he was using both Colombus' map and certain information that only he knew. Hundreds of years later, we see a country called Turks and Caicos.? He also said Caicos sounded similar to "kay?k" (boat) in Turkish, and referred*to the country as "Turks and Boats" for the duration of his press conference.*

**?Further research showed that the capital of the country of Turks and Boats, the Grand Turk, was the way Europeans used to describe Ottoman Sultan Süleyman. What's even more surprising is the fact that in 1869, the Grand Turk's flag featured the Ottoman crescent and three stars. All these facts show that the state of Turks and Boats, which is still part of the British Commonwealth, was founded by Turks loyal to the Ottoman Empire.?

**Yurtsever said Turks arrived in America 25 years before Colombus, claiming that the Ottoman symbol featured in the flag was removed in 1873.

**He said world history needs to be reassessed after the codes of Piri Reis's map are further analyzed.

Comment

Originally posted by mdundar57
        no turks dont read, just armenians read.. yerevan is of course from the turkish name Erivan.. u read an international history and see the reality.
        so u think turks were not here till middle ages??? what a history... what u know about sumers! they were talking turkish, tradition turkish and religion like ancieant turks and were they from space? Urartus are armenians or kurdish or persian state? turks dont read, so can u explain us...
        i have never heard that armenians had ther own independent state till 1991 and have u ever visit turkiye and armenia? one starving and one in abundance... dont judge urself,, ask ur relatives who lives in turkiye...
        i have armenian friend too, thanks god he dont have prejudge such as you ignorant..
        There is absolutely no evidence, historical, archaeological or otherwise, to indicate that Turkish is somehow a relation or offshoot of Sumerian, and no competent ethnographer, archaeologist, anthropologist, or linguist will or can claim as such. Specific cases of Turkish 'scholars' trying to claim such for the purposes of propaganda, and to challenge supposedly in their delusional minds, the general knowledge that Turks were an invading force unwelcome to the region, do not suffice.
        Achkerov kute.

Comment

He goes out and says Urartuan is an Uralic-Altaic language, and he asks us to show him tablets that prove that Armenians are the sons of Urartuans?

I'm actual curious about what sources he's read, and what kind of evidence those sources use to sound believable.

If this guy knew anything about Turks, he should know that the spread of their language is relatively recent, and it started from a very small region in Central Asia that was very far from the Caucasus. Urartu is at least 2000 years older than the start of Turkish migrations across Asia.... How can his assertians possibly make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3
            He goes out and says Urartuan is an Uralic-Altaic language, and he asks us to show him tablets that prove that Armenians are the sons of Urartuans?

I'm actual curious about what sources he's read, and what kind of evidence those sources use to sound believable.

If this guy knew anything about Turks, he should know that the spread of their language is relatively recent, and it started from a very small region in Central Asia that was very far from the Caucasus. Urartu is at least 2000 years older than the start of Turkish migrations across Asia.... How can his assertians possibly make sense?

It's the Ataturk "Sun Theory" which has no scientific basis whatsoever but was invented by Ataturk and his cronies to help forment increased nationalism. If the Turks argue that the Urartians are Turks then they are also arguing that the Armenians are Turks which is a farce. As we and every archeologist and scientist knows (baring Turkish nationalists) is that the Armenian language is related to both Phrygian and Urartrian and the people themselves are the descendents of Hittites, Urartrians, and Phrygians.

Comment

The trouble with the assertion that Armenian is related to Phrygian is that apparently we have a limited supply of Phrygian texts to study. If you can show me a link that shows actual coherent connections between Phrygian and Armenian texts, I'd like to see it, because from the little I've read (from Mallory's book, In the Search of the Indo-Europeans), I was unable to relate much other than perhaps the indo-european spirit of the language.

Usually, we just generalize with this statement because of the geographical proximity of Phrygian and Armenian cultures as well as their common connections and involvement of the old Hittite culture. Also, Ancient Greek historians like Herodotus have made statements such as Armenians being Phrygian colonists... so it only makes sense to classify their two languages together.

So again, if you have links or something that can actually make and explain the relations between the Armenian and Phrygian language beyond the basic fact that they are both Indo-European, it would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3
                The trouble with the assertion that Armenian is related to Phrygian is that apparently we have a limited supply of Phrygian texts to study. If you can show me a link that shows actual coherent connections between Phrygian and Armenian texts, I'd like to see it, because from the little I've read (from Mallory's book, In the Search of the Indo-Europeans), I was unable to relate much other than perhaps the indo-european spirit of the language.

Usually, we just generalize with this statement because of the geographical proximity of Phrygian and Armenian cultures as well as their common connections and involvement of the old Hittite culture. Also, Ancient Greek historians like Herodotus have made statements such as Armenians being Phrygian colonists... so it only makes sense to classify their two languages together.

So again, if you have links or something that can actually make and explain the relations between the Armenian and Phrygian language beyond the basic fact that they are both Indo-European, it would be greatly appreciated.
                It's been awhile since I researched it so it may take some time but it may have been a theory that basically mirrors what you said in your last sentence, that both Phyrgian and proto-Armenian are related insomuch as they are both Indo-European and due to the close proximity of the peoples could be somewhat related. I'll search it out.

Perhaps like the Basques in Spain, the origins of our languages seem to escape a definitive answer. Interesting topic nonetheless. What I have read on numerous occasions is that a people known as the Urartrians developed from tribes located around Lake Van from the vestiges of the Hittites.

Comment

yeah, that seems probable, however they had their own twist. Apparently, their language is not Indo-European and is often paired up with Hurrian in their own respective language group. I've also heard that Sumerian was not a Semitic language either, and I've read a chart or two where Sumerian, Urartian, Hurrian and Ugaritic would have words sharing a same linguistic root, perhaps trying to suggest that all these languages belong to an older language group that dissociated by the time Semitic and Indo-European languages began to expand in and out of the Middle East.

It is all very interesting, however, just because of the differences between the language groups of the languages spoken by the cultures in these regions in different times, we cannot make the assumption that the cultures were not linked, or even intertwining with eachother. It is very possible that the non-Indo-European elements of the Urartuans was due to sheer politics or popularity of that language at the time, and that the general populations ruled by the Urartuan kingdoms spoke a variety of languages that can be classified as Indo-European, Semitic, Hurro-Urartuan-Sumerian and Kartvelian.

The Non-Indo-European language of Urartuans does indeed impose a mysterious and thought provoking element to the history or our ancestors and the middle east.

What's also strange to me is why Hittite, a language spoken in a region so close to the Armenian plateau, does not sound so much like Armenian. In fact, it has been said that this language has archaisms in it so old, they aren't even reflected in Sanskrit or Baltic languages. Why is it that Armenian sounds closer to Greek for example, than Hittite, when the later language was spoken in Anatolia, standing between historical Armenian and historical Greek lands? Perhaps the speakers Armenian/Greek/Iranian subgroup dissociated from the ancestors of the Hittite subgroup's speakers first, and then followed their respective migrations after dissociating into proto-Armenians, proto-Iranians and proto-Greeks.

The Hittite subgroup of Indo-European languages was archaic, and wasn't keeping up with the development the other Indo-European subgroups took part in. When the last civilizations using the language came to an end, it was finally dropped. Since Phrygia practically stemmed out of the exact same region the Hittites ruled, they were more influenced by the their language than the proto-Armenians who lived too far east from it's linguistic cultural influence?
                  Last edited by jgk3; 10-11-2006, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Siamanto
                    armenica,
                    You should not take Jurks that seriously. Honestly, based on mundar's posts, do you honestly think there can be an honest and intelligent debate?
                    They also think that "Anatolia" is from the *utkish "ana" and "dolu???" I will let you imagine the degree ignorance and obscurantism that reigns in TEMPORARILY SO CALLED Turkey.
                    In the past, they have claimed themselves descendants of the Hittites and now Sumerians? Of course, neither the Hittites nor the Sumerians spoke an Ural-Altaic language, but that seems to be irrelevant to mentally underdeveloped *urks. It's also needless to say that Sumerians did not live in TEMPORARILY SO CALLED Turkey.

Note: I have chosen to auto censor the words "*urk," "*urkish" or *urkic" because it is commonly perceived as unpleasant and offending, evokes unpleasant emotions and imagery and is pregnant with immoral and evil connotations!
                    Well, this is not the first forum I'm a member of and definitely not the first where I see this kind of remarks. This forum, however, is an "Armenian" one, so the majority should already be familiar with the facts. But when you encounter any argumentation, regardless if they are nonsense or not, in other forums you must take for granted that there would be some people with no prior knowledge about this and they will take this as valid argumentation. That's why most I think that the majority of this arguments must not go unchallenged.

Nevertheless, I don't put to much energy and time in arguing with this kind of people (not that it requires that much efforts to prove them wrong in front of all), with letting them go unchallenged is a dangerous risk wich I don't think one should take lightly.

PS. Plus that it's quite fun and entertaining to push these people to reveal the most amazing facts about the educational system in which they have been brought up in.

Comment

Originally posted by RSNATION
                      What idiots these Turks are.
                      That idiot TURKs ruled you more then a thousand years in peace and safety..

how come u think ur reading an objective history and we dont?

i can see you have more prejudge then we do... but there is a big difference between armenians and us.. we love anyone, we never judge anyone for who they are but you do? think about this...

Comment

Working...
                      X