Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

A family name and a province in pre-Christian Armenia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A family name and a province in pre-Christian Armenia

Hello...

This is what someone told me from lessons they learnt in Armenia: that there was a province during Pre-Christian times called Chahbaz, situated on the border between Persia and Armenia.

The reason? I am researching the roots of my maiden name, Chahbaz. There are different explanations, and this particular one really intrigues me. I have never found any reference to a province of that name.

Can anyone enlighten me about the province, or the name?

I'll tell you the other explanations another time - if I don't find out any more, I'm going to choose the most colourful one. Why not?

Moogey

Re: A family name and a province in pre-Christian Armenia

Originally posted by Moogey
    Hello...

This is what someone told me from lessons they learnt in Armenia: that there was a province during Pre-Christian times called Chahbaz, situated on the border between Persia and Armenia.

The reason? I am researching the roots of my maiden name, Chahbaz. There are different explanations, and this particular one really intrigues me. I have never found any reference to a province of that name.

Can anyone enlighten me about the province, or the name?

I'll tell you the other explanations another time - if I don't find out any more, I'm going to choose the most colourful one. Why not?

Moogey
    i've never heard of that province but chahbaz or shahbaz comes from persian.

Comment

Thanks for replying. Are you from Armenia? Maybe someone in an Armenian school has heard of it. I'm not giving up yet.

Moogey

Comment

Originally posted by Moogey
        Thanks for replying. Are you from Armenia? Maybe someone in an Armenian school has heard of it. I'm not giving up yet.

Moogey
        no, i'm from Iran but i'm gonna observe iranian map(the one with more details)

Comment

I did not find such a province but maybe, it's a town or a village.

Comment

My mother's side of the family believe that their family name use to be “Shahbaz” or "Shabazian” they also belive that it use to be a family of nobles as “Pagradounis” “Adrounis” and so on, but they believe that they were from Ani region, it is also very possible that they were originally from that Zahbaz province, if such provice existed since they carry the name “Shabaz” who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by Yedtarts
              My mother's side of the family believe that their family name use to be “Shahbaz” or "Shabazian” they also belive that it use to be a family of nobles as “Pagradounis” “Adrounis” and so on, but they believe that they were from Ani region, it is also very possible that they were originally from that Zahbaz province, if such provice existed since they carry the name “Shabaz” who knows?
              This is very interesting. There was King Abbas Bagratuni (928-951) and the Haghbat monastery dates from that time. the Bagratunis ruled from 9th to 11th centuries in the part of Armenia you mention, round Ani, but when Armenia was invaded by the Seljuks and Barbaric nomads, they exchanged lands, and moved to Anatolia and Cilician Armenia. My father came from Cilicia. Mystery is where the Shah comes in. A Persian influence, probably. the Catholicosate of Etchmiadzin was also moved to Cilicia at that time.

Can you discover more about the Chahbaz or Shahbaz family?

Moogey

Comment

shahbaz is a bird.....but it's also a name of a god in persian mytologi...thats all i know

Comment

i googled for shahbaz... ......this is what i found out about shahbaz::From the link ------:: The inscription on a stone, which once has served as the squared-beam for the portal, informs that the chapel was built in 1187, under the guardianship of Khachen’s princes. Next to the chapel there are two ancient cemeteries, church Anapat, numerous khachkars. A little away stretch villages, ruins of cult constructions and mills. The following villages are known:Machegh, Pmenshen, Tkhakhor, Shahbaz, Khorastan.

Comment

The rubâb is a short-necked lute that is plucked with a plectrum called a shahbaz. some more useless info

Comment

Working...
                    X