Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Onnik Krikorian, ''fake'' anti-Armenian journalist.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Onnik Krikorian, ''fake'' anti-Armenian journalist.

<Second Item of Note: A More Direct Example of Anti-Armenian Malice>

A quote by Onnik from this blog discussion that went on between various think tanks and individuals on the topic of the protective buffer zone the anti-Armenian (or Turkophile, same thing) political block chooses to call "occupied territories":

"Well, whatever. I hope there will be a Karabakh peace deal, refugees and IDPs can return to their homes, and confidence measures will slowly bring Azeris and Armenians back to being able to live together in urban settlements at least."

Indeed, used again is the theme of "wolves and sheep grazing together" (wolves are indeed still carnivores, but that detail is not important to raving anti-nationalists), albeit worded as "Armenians and Azeris living together in urban settlements." I wonder what the definition of "urban settlements" is and why there is emphasis on this "urban settlement" idea? "Armenians living in UN delineated and protected ghettos in a sea of Tatars who style themselves as Azeris?" Most likely. Is our in-house raving anti-nationalist also hinting at the possibility that Armenians will be denied a much more prosperous and secure rural existence? No land or farms for us Armos? Not clear.

That is less important.

The important aspect of this discussion here http://ditord.com/2007/05/29/liberat...ries-in-focus/ is the zeal with which we are being frightened and coaxed as Armenians to forget the very apt British maxim of "possession is 9/10 of the law." Onnik forgets this, Onnik who is a very British person despite his attempts at appearing Armenian, which should mean nothing anyway because nationalism is bad to Onnik, which, a contradiction, is irrelevant to anti-nationalists who are usually walking contradictions, intolerant individuals who use ridicule and threats to preach tolerance, and so on and so forth. To unmangle this pretzel of a psychotic mind is truly not my job, nor is it a preferred profession.

My intention is to demonstrate malice, which, the form in this case it came in is the zeal to tell Armenians that land is not important, possession means nothing, and "peace" of some ephemeral form is "most desirable"... or else.

Another quote that obviously leaves Armenians totally vulnerable to any military design, the acceptance of a mere "Lachin Corrodor", which reads like a texbook repetition of Thomas Goltz or Thomas de Waal, the "Thomas Twins":

"As I said, if Armenians in Karabakh can gain their sovereignty, if a land border can be established which would likely constitute part of Lachin (but note, Lachin and not Kashatagh which encompasses more than just the Lachin region), and international security guarantees could be put in place, why not?"

Of course. Notice how he avoids the more accurate term "Lachin corridor". The mere word "corridor" should send chills down any Armenian's spine: Any random sniper can pick off any passer by in a "corridor", but, Onnik says we will "live as sheep and wolves in peaceful pasture." The "security guarantees" will be by UN troops who are not allowed to fire, and in this way, much as the Tutsi in Rwanda, we Armenians shall feel oh-so-safe. By the way, Turkey has offered to be among the "peace keeping" forces upon the "return of lands and a peaceful settlement." Talk about wolves and sheep!

Over and over again we are told by the blog author himself who calls himself the "Observer", Onnik and a few other arrogant tropes that "the occupied lands cannot be called liberated territories". Down below a certain "Ardashes" has labeled all those who prefer the term "Liberated Territories" as "mentally imbalanced" or something to that effect. "Mentally retarded" and other such example of "civil discourse" is all you will find in the oh so liberal "anti-nationalist" camp of extreme leftists.

Yet, the "leftism" is selective. I have yet to hear one "leftist" Turk be chastised for not advocating the return of Armenian land to Armenians by his "leftist" brothers among Armenians, English or otherwise.

Curious indeed.
    Last edited by hagopn; 09-20-2013, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Hagopn - I hope you have not been in the nut house for the last 4 years? Or worse? You're certainly angry or paranoid about something. Based on your above posts, and if I could be bothered to do it, I could make quite a long list of all the things you hate! Your posts, if you are intending to make them more often than the rate of one a year, would be more credible if you tone it down.
      Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Steve, or Bill, whatever your name is, your post was expected with the exact tone and content. Thank you.

Comment

bell, you have to admit that he has a point about people like Onnik Krikorian (and I would add his guru Thomas de Waal), who seem to believe that all problems and tensions would dissipate if we'd only hold hands with the Azeris and Turks (both for the most part remain unapologetic and unrepentant about their past atrocities in the region). And pretending Anglo-American design and geostrategic ambitions have not and do not play a role in the Caucasus is absurd.

Comment

Originally posted by TomServo View Post
            bell, you have to admit that he has a point about people like Onnik Krikorian (and I would add his guru Thomas de Waal), who seem to believe that all problems and tensions would dissipate if we'd only hold hands with the Azeris and Turks (both for the most part remain unapologetic and unrepentant about their past atrocities in the region). And pretending Anglo-American design and geostrategic ambitions have not and do not play a role in the Caucasus is absurd.
            "He has to admit." Does he now?

Let me make a correction, if I may, an addendum: The western powers do not merely want us to hold hands. They funnel their propaganda through the many Onniks under their payroll which consists of territorial, political as well as historiographical concessions only from the Armenian side.

There is a history between Onnik and I. We met online a long time ago on a site that went defunct www.Armenianet.com put together by a volunteer in Texas named Mihran Aroyan. He was the pioneer, by the way, for Armenian internet and many couples found each other there--

All the happy days aside, Onnik was a pretty reasonable sounding fellow who had concerns about Kurdish rights in Turkey, obviously a topic on which we can easily agree. I decided to help the fellow and introduce him to a friend of mine, a journalist, who happened to be looking for someone who has knowledge of the Kurds. A lightbulb went off, and I invited Onnik to join my friend and I in a chat room for the purpose of introducing them.

It worked, and I was very glad to have assisted.

I was totally disappointed to see how he turned out to be a complete British Left personality with not so much as a speck of Armenian nationalist thought.

Comment

Let me add that he once mentioned that his wife is a Nzhdehakan, or, to quote him: "Nzhdeh is my wife's favorite Armenian as well." I would assume that means she is a Nzhdehakan.

It's quite amusing really to picture that household, but, as the saying goes, "love is blind".

Comment

Interesting. So that's why he's always writing about Kurds and certain Indo-Iranian speakers (he would probably classify the latter group as Kurds as well) both within and without Turkey.

hagopn, I was mostly talking about Krikorian and de Waal in my post. Krikorian's photojournalism and cultural anthropology 101 postings of Armenians and Azeris in Tbilisi playing the kamancha and whatnot always emphasize cultural interconnectedness (not necessarily a bad thing) and are supposed to alert us to the dangers of Othering, LOL.

Comment

You bring up 2 topics:

Onnik, as much as I am reluctant to admit in today's context, is a veritable encyclopedia on the Kurds. He immediately impressed me with his deep knowledge of this culture about which we Armenians in general know little, and we became online friends very quickly. He was one of the rare individual who knew the various dialects, or at least of them (I never verified actual knowledge on his behalf), and was in the same mindset as I at the time: Yezidi are the original kurdish culture who speak the Kurdish Ghurmanji dialect, and so on.

I realized later on that the push to "Kurdify" the Yezidi, for which cause Onnik was a veritable champion, has a more international power flavor to it. It becamse much more obvious when both the British and US embassies were holding "seminars" about establishing a "Yezidi Kurd homeland/enclave" in Armenia, of course at the expense of Vayots Dzor and Zangezur. Meghri was a contested portion as well, something that you might recall, and Onnik was right there championing the push for concessions on behalf of Armenians to the favor of Kurds.

Read the interview Onnik did with the Yezidi leader of the time, http://groong.usc.edu/orig/ok-19980611.html Fascinating read. Onnik is pushing the Kurdificaton agenda, as it will become clear when you read it. Onnik, as much as he knew about Kurds, he knew little about the history of the Yezidi and how they too were fellow victims of the 1915 genocidal campaigns. He also seemingly didn't know that the Yezidi were fighting alongside "fascist" Nzhdeh in 1919.

Anyway, I can go on, but will not.

As to the Caucasianization of Armenians, there is a negative aspect to it as well as the positive. Of course, There is the positive side of promoting Armenian culture indirectly, since the important cultural icons of the region were, really, mainly Armenians due to the history of the region, a statement that some would consider to be "supremacist in nature." It is nothing of the sort. It is a statement of fact. One only has to read 2 authors to begin with, Paruyr Sevak's "Sayat Nova" and Alexander Shakhverdians "Aknarq Hay Yerazhshtutyan 19rd Dari", which are absolutely enlightening books to read and demonstrate the absolutely profound influence Armenians had, culturally, on their seemingly larger and more mature neighbors. Apparently the reverse is more true. You can see for yourself in those works.

The negative side of the Caucasianization of Armenians is always the territorial denial of presence of the totality of Armenians, since only about 10% or so of historical Armenia is in proximity or on the actual Caucasus. We simply are not a caucasian culture, and we need to be more alert about accepting the caucasian label.
                  Last edited by hagopn; 09-21-2013, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hagopn View Post
                    Let me add that he once mentioned that his wife is a Nzhdehakan, or, to quote him: "Nzhdeh is my wife's favorite Armenian as well." I would assume that means she is a Nzhdehakan.

It's quite amusing really to picture that household, but, as the saying goes, "love is blind".
                    Dear Onnik's thoughts on Nzhdeh: https://twitter.com/onewmphoto/statu...31158404988928

Does he speak Armenian btw?
                    Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Originally posted by TomServo View Post
                      I didn't see any point in his rambling post. All I thought was "another Hellektor, but without the bad language". The guy is certainly Persian in his paranoias. And quite a cheek he has too, to insult another member of the forum in the first sentence of the first post he has made in four years.

As for Krikorian - I gather he is a professional journalist mostly writing for an English-language audience - i.e. he someone with a short attention span and little commitment to a single subject and with a requirement to write about things that are publishable by third parties and which are, if possible, income generating.
                      That sort of guarantees a mixed quality of output appearing in a wide range of outlets. But if you don't want ANY Armenians to be such a thing in order to avoid the possibility of any Armenian ever writing anything controversial, about all you have left are a bunch of shouters shouting in Armenian from their soapboxes, and generally shouting only what the masses think (or what the masses are herded into thinking).
                      Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Working...
                      X