Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenia: Future Projects and Developments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Armenia: Future Projects and Developments

Hello Guys,
    Do you know why the Cafedjian's museum is stopped fore years now?
    Are there any hopes of completion?

Comment

Here is a few things going on in Gyumri

Church of the Holy Saviour or Surb Amenaprkich, constructed between 1859-1873. Designed to resemble the Cathedral of Ani. The church was heavily damaged by the 1988 Spitak earthquake and is currently under reconstruction.

Comment

Gyumri Technopark (one of the places I am currently interning as a Civil Engineering as part of Birthright Armenia)
        Expected time of completion 18 months, construction started 2 months ago, will be done sooner according to lead civil engineer
        Expected Cost 1.67 Billion Dram (~4 million Dollars)
        Building originally built in 1850s

Comment

Gyumri I've heard is improving a lot. Too bad I don't have any relatives there to visit often, maybe I will this summer.
          Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
          ---
          "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Thanks for sharing the pics Mher!
            For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
            to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

Originally posted by Mos View Post
              Gyumri I've heard is improving a lot. Too bad I don't have any relatives there to visit often, maybe I will this summer.
              I hope you are kidding me, as a native from Leninakan I only see the destruction of the city by Vartanig. If you guys thought Dodi and his ilk were bad you don't know Vartan. And they cannot finish renovating a church for 20 years but can build a 5 star hotel in 1 year. I'm willing to bet that most of the money for the technopark is foreign charity, but we have more than enough money for hotels and ugly mansions.

Comment

Not a new or future project, but a very unique and interesting place:

Gyumri Pyunic Association for the Disabled
                A Center for disabled children located at the edge of gyumri in the end of the Austrian District, run by a very benevolent women with no notable wealth, who herself is disabled
                The center was nothing but an old domik (temporary housing) for many many years. However through various generous foreign donors and selfless moves by the president of the center, with zero contributions from the government, it has become a very impressive center by even Western standards. It is run completely by volunteers, throughout the whole year, with no current form of outside funding or backing (currently the only contributions to the center are made out of pocket by a doctor who herself is a volunteer there). It accepts over 30 children per day (both disabled and healthy) during the school year, and many more than that during the summer, all at no charge to the children.
                A bit of hope and humanity in the midst of the corruption and despair

I'll try to provide more pictures tomorrow

westy36

Comment

Unfortunately here is the gaudy Alexandrapol "hotel palace" we were discussing here a few months back
                  Apparently built for the son of the mayor by the family's "personal funds"
                  In a city where doctors and engineers are unemployed/underemployed, where many roads remain unpaved/heavily damaged, it is a disgusting site
                  the money could have easily been used to build a few business that could have resulted in a few dozen jobs and provided some service/goods to the city as well as profit to the owner. Instead it is blown on a expensive hotel in a city with no tourists, that will result in a handful of jobs and do nothing to bring in any revenue or service.

Comment

Originally posted by KarotheGreat View Post
                    I hope you are kidding me, as a native from Leninakan I only see the destruction of the city by Vartanig. If you guys thought Dodi and his ilk were bad you don't know Vartan. And they cannot finish renovating a church for 20 years but can build a 5 star hotel in 1 year. I'm willing to bet that most of the money for the technopark is foreign charity, but we have more than enough money for hotels and ugly mansions.
                    unfortunately you are right
                    things are much more difficult here than Yerevan. I hear people here talking about Yerevan the way people in Yerevan talk about Moscow/Los Angeles
                    At the technopark construction site, the head civil engineer was saying how he will probably leave for Russia for good during the winter because he can no longer support his family here (this coming for someone who is likely one of the best at what he does in the city). Furthermore, he was explaining how one of the construction workers was a licensed civil engineer himself with much experience, but can't find a job and had to do what he could to support his family

btw your comment about the hotel being built in one year really hit home
                    first time i walked past it I was shocked, because it was only a few months before that when I had seen the concept and computer rendering of it on this forum, and I thought I must have been remembering wrong because it couldn't have possibility been built that fast.
                    Last edited by Mher; 06-14-2012, 02:23 PM.

Comment

• Re: Armenia: Future Projects and Developments

Originally posted by Mher View Post
                      unfortunately you are right
                      things are much more difficult here than Yerevan. I hear people here talking about Yerevan the way people in Yerevan talk about Moscow/Los Angeles
                      At the technopark construction site, the head civil engineer was saying how he will probably leave for Russia for good during the winter because he can no longer support his family here (this coming for someone who is likely one of the best at what he does in the city). Furthermore, he was explaining how one of the construction workers was a licensed civil engineer himself with much experience, but can't find a job and had to do what he could to support his family

btw your comment about the hotel being built in one year really hit home
                      first time i walked past it I was shocked, because it was only a few months before that when I had seen the concept and computer rendering of it on this forum, and I thought I must have been remembering wrong because it couldn't have possibility been built that fast.
                      During the SU times Leninakan was the humour capital of Armenia, all the great comedians and many other artists and musicians came from Armenia like Frunzig. However today you have a population that does not even smile, from what I hear, hope has died in the city.
                      It doesn't surprise me that he is going to leave the country and the city, the city is literately emptying. An other ten years and it can turn into a ghost town with only Vartanig and his relatives and two other powerful families.
                      For me, to hear all those things about my home city where I was born and have some of the best memories of my life, is very very difficult.

Comment

Working...
                      X