Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenia's Economic Pulse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Armenia's Economic Pulse

Originally posted by Federate View Post
    In the article, the development has more to do with the underdeveloped internal railway network of Armenia than anything else. The only external piece they mention is the railway linking Armenia with Georgia.

The Armenia-Georgia railway is already going to possibly be linked to the upcoming planned construction of Armenia-Iran railway. Now if only the Russians and Georgians would put differences aside and link their railways too. We would have a North-South railway that passes through Armenia... for once.
    The russia/georgia conflict has really hurt Armenia.
    Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

If they put aside their problems and make the railway,
      then that will bring a lot of rewards to Armenia, exports
      and imports will be booming like crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
        The russia/georgia conflict has really hurt Armenia.
        I am glad that Sargsyan invited Saakashvili to Yerevan to have better communication between them and for AR's sake.

Comment

Originally posted by KarotheGreat View Post
          What border opening the latest news I've read about that was that there were no more talks about opening the borders.

ARMENIAN FM SAYS AGREEMENTS ARE MADE TO REGULATE RELATIONS WITHOUT PRE-CONDITIONS

"The agreement made between Armenia and Turkey is to regulate the relations, to open the borders without pre-conditions. If Turkey is ready to implement those agreements then they are appreciated. We are looking forward to practical steps," Armenian Foreign Minister Edward Nalbandyan said at joint press conference with the OSCE Chairwoman-in-Office Dora Bakoyannis.

The Minister stressed that serious negotiations are held between Armenia and Turkey since September of the previous year. "As I have already said we have come to definite agreements in spring to regulate the relations and to open the border without pre-conditions," the FM said.

Source: Panorama.am

Comment

Originally posted by Anoush View Post
            I am glad that Sargsyan invited Saakashvili to Yerevan to have better communication between them and for AR's sake.
            It remains to be seen if this was a good move or not. The west has invested much in the georgian leader and russia has done the same against him.This would be a good move if russia loses control over georgia which will be worst then anything good we have to gain from shakas visit for Armenia. If russia reexerts control over georgia(ousts shaka) then how will they look at our warm hospitelity to their enemy in hindsight? I expressed earlier that in my opinion armenia is in a very bad position and whatever we gain by playing the east vs west card we risk much more then we can possibly gain. I think history is important to consider in this regard in that it can sometimes predict the future. Russia is on its way up, the usa is on its way down(although there is still significant gap there), gerogia is historically part of russia and in my opinion it could very well be a part of it again.I have said it before, armenia cannot afford to piss off russia, it is the only thing we have that comes anywhere close to guerenteer of security for our small homeland.For all that the west has done to undermine russia, it is still getting stronger and will continue to do so, it would be a good idea in my opinion to cozy up to them more and less to the georgia and other puppets of the west.
            Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
              It remains to be seen if this was a good move or not. The west has invested much in the georgian leader and russia has done the same against him.This would be a good move if russia loses control over georgia which will be worst then anything good we have to gain from shakas visit for Armenia. If russia reexerts control over georgia(ousts shaka) then how will they look at our warm hospitelity to their enemy in hindsight? I expressed earlier that in my opinion armenia is in a very bad position and whatever we gain by playing the east vs west card we risk much more then we can possibly gain. I think history is important to consider in this regard in that it can sometimes predict the future. Russia is on its way up, the usa is on its way down(although there is still significant gap there), gerogia is historically part of russia and in my opinion it could very well be a part of it again.I have said it before, armenia cannot afford to piss off russia, it is the only thing we have that comes anywhere close to guerenteer of security for our small homeland.For all that the west has done to undermine russia, it is still getting stronger and will continue to do so, it would be a good idea in my opinion to cozy up to them more and less to the georgia and other puppets of the west.
              Haykakan, I read it in the news that Saakashvili's recent visit to Armenia didn't make our Russian friends angry. I still maintain that since the war between Russia and Georgia; Armenia suffered a great deal economically and that's why they turned to turkey (opening the borders and so on). It's true that Russia is becoming a more powerful nation than America and that's good for Armenia; but in my opinion we still need Georgia's economy alliance, especially when we are landlocked. We really need economically to get on better. I am glad that the railway system that it's being implemented will connect us through the Caspian Sea to Asia, btw; Pakistan, India and China, but for now I think Armenia would still need Georgia's alliance as they suffered much since the war between Georgia and Russia. I don't think it would hurt us since Russia understands the vulnerable economic situations that Armenia has to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Anoush View Post
                Since the border opening with turkey, this sounds like a good news to me to enhance our economy. Thank goodness.
                If turkey opens the border, Armenia should close it.

Comment

Armenians Urged To Vacation In Karabakh

Lilit Harutiunian

Prime Minister Tigran Sarkisian berated Armenia’s travel agencies on Wednesday for lacking interest in Nagorno-Karabakh and sending thousands of holiday-makers to Georgia and Turkey instead.
                  Georgia’s Black Sea region of Ajaria has emerged in recent years as the most popular destination of Armenians going on vacation in summer months. They are attracted by its seaside resorts and prices that are often significantly lower than in similar locations in Armenia. A growing number of Armenians also spend their summer holidays on the Turkish Mediterranean coast.

Sarkisian publicly complained about that as he met with representatives of about two dozen local travel operators. He said they should now pay much greater attention to resorts in Armenia and especially Karabakh, which is famous for its mountain scenery and ancient Armenian monasteries.

“If you don’t advertise [Karabakh] you will naturally have no clients,” he said. “People don’t even know what opportunities exist in Karabakh, what the tariffs there are. They don’t know that things are marvelous, service is marvelous there. Why aren’t you promoting [Karabakh] day and night?”

“Kobuleti [Georgia] and Antalya: you advertise them so much that even a person who will never go there knows about those places,” added the prime minister.

A representative of Karabakh’s tourism development agency present at the meeting offered the travel agents financial incentives to bring more Armenian tourists to the disputed region. He said the total cost of a five-day holiday tour of Karabakh will now range from 70,000 drams ($193) to 110,000 drams per person.

Some of the agents sounded incredulous about the offer, saying that they have until now dealt with higher travel and accommodation costs in Karabakh. “Unless we see that [price package] with our own eyes we won’t send any tourists there,” said Ruben Grigorian of the Rumea travel agency.

“So you should be the first tourists,” commented Sarkisian. It was decided that a group of travel agents will leave for Karabakh on Monday to assess the tourism infrastructures and tariffs on the ground.

Prime Minister Tigran Sarkisian berated Armenia’s travel agencies on Wednesday for lacking interest in Nagorno-Karabakh and sending thousands of holiday-makers to Georgia and Turkey instead.
                  Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Armenia Facing 40 Years Under Heavy Foreign Debt, Says Minister

By Asbarez Staff on Jul 9th, 2009 and filed under Armenia, Featured Story, News, Top Stories.
                    Print Article
                    ShareThis

YEREVAN (Combined Sources)–Amidst predictions that Armenia’s economy may shrink by as much as 20 percent, Yerevan has received an $80 million pledge of assistance from the Asian Development Bank (ADB).

With the loan, Armenia will have received $790 million in economic support from international donors since the onset of the global economic crisis last year, the government announced on Tuesday.

Speaking to A1plus news service, Armenian Finance Minister Tigran Davtian said the country will be saddled with heavy foreign debt for up to 40 years.

The ADB funds complement assistance from other multilateral agencies and bilateral sources. The International Monetary Fund, the World Bank, Asian Development Bank and Russia have all rushed emergency aid to Armenia. The country is increasingly hamstrung by sharply reduced economic activity, a drop in foreign remittances and a credit crunch. A large part of the loans will be used to resuscitate economic activity.

Davtian confirmed that part of the cash will be used to cover an unprecedented 7.5 percent state budget deficit. “[Loans] will provide serious guarantees that we will fulfill all the obligations assumed in the state budget for this year,” Davtian was quoted by A1plus as saying.

But he did not elaborate on how exactly the loans will boost economic growth. He did say, however, that interest rates on the loans are “very low.”

According to the bank, the new loan will allow the Armenian government “to deal with negative shocks to budget revenue and maintain core spending programs for critical social needs such as welfare payments and social services for vulnerable groups.”

“ADB’s programs, in tandem with the initiatives of other development partners, will support essential public spending to protect the poor and vulnerable, as well as aid in the revival of the economies of the three countries,” said Xiaoyu Zhao, Vice President of ADB’s operations in the region. “It will also allow them to push through with public investments designed to preserve and create new jobs for economic recovery.”

The ADB also issued an $80 million loan to Georgia and a $40 million loan to Tajikistan as part of $200 million package to help the three countries sustain critical social spending programs that have been imperiled by the global economic crisis. ADB has extended assistance amounting to a total of $381 million to Armenia since it joined in 2005.

Comment

Artsakh Vacations: 7 Days Starting at 70,000 Drams
                      [ 2009/07/20 | 12:34 ] Nagorno Karabakh important
                      Anahit Danielyan

According to Sergei Shahverdyan, who heads the NKR Department of Tourism, a series of all inclusive tourist plan are now in the works that will allow citizens of Armenia to spend a seven days in Karabakh at a cost of either 70,000, 80,000 or 110,000 drams.

The package deals include accommodation, three meals a day and guided tours of Gandzasar and Amaris monasteries, the ruins of Tigranakert, the Nikol Duman Museum, Stepanakert and Shushi. Visitors can also relax in the Khachen River highland and at the Metz Tagher water park.

To take advantage of the new deals, those interested must apply to tourist agencies in Armenia and to the RoA Ministry of Economy’s Department of Tourism and Regional Development.

Mr. Shahverdyan was confident that these new package deals would encourage more Armenians to spend their vacations in neighboring Karabakh. He added that tourism was up 90% in the first quarter of 2009 as compared with the same period last year.

Hetq - News, Articles, Investigations

Comment

Working...
                      X