Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenia's Economic Pulse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Armenia's Economic Pulse

Originally posted by Muhaha View Post
    If the products cost 5-7 percent more in Armenia than in the U.S and Apple is actually selling at that price, it's got to be some sort of voodoo magic ROA citizens are pulling, I really don't see how that's possible.
    Next Armenian Election Pledge:

Vote for me, and I will buy everyone a mac.

Comment

Originally posted by hipeter924 View Post
      Next Armenian Election Pledge:

Vote for me, and I will buy everyone a mac.
      I know your joking but that would actually be excellent, the top leaders of the country can afford it and it would serve the population immensely if everyone was connected to the ocean of information a computer and internet connection provide. Of course, it would have to be PC though, Armenians shouldn't disrespect themselves with something like a Mac.

Comment

I know your joking but that would actually be excellent, the top leaders of the country can afford it and it would serve the population immensely if everyone was connected to the ocean of information a computer and internet connection provide. Of course, it would have to be PC though, Armenians shouldn't disrespect themselves with something like a Mac.
        How could you resist the sexiness of a mac?

Comment

Originally posted by Icy View Post
          How could you resist the sexiness of a mac?
          The same way I can resist the aesthetic sexiness of a stripper with AIDS.

Comment

The same way I can resist the aesthetic sexiness of a stripper with AIDS.
            Atleast you can't get infected with viruses on a mac,
            the stripper with AIDS you're talking about is most
            likely a PC.

Comment

The Ambassador of Italy to Armenia H.E. Bruno Scapini kindly agreed to answer NEWS.am questions. Please find the full interview below.

Q.: Mr. Scapini, please outline the scope of Italy’s interests in Armenia and region on the whole. How important the region is for Rome and what are the reasons for that?

A.: Well, I want to say that Italy, of course, is interested in establishing good relations with all countries of the world. But with Armenia, I think that the state of relations has been up to now underweight, because there are a lot of potentialities that have been going to my view, since independence, a little too silent. So we just need now to bring up to the light all these potentialities, because from the perspective of the two countries, I think, there are many things we can share. There is a large convergence of economic and cultural interests and cultural models that actually can be a very good resource for cooperation. What I mean to say is that you need to develop an economic export oriented basis, and the approach that the Italian entrepreneurs might have can be conducive to a very good result and to a very good collaboration.

Q.: Do you think it is possible to attract investments from Italy or elsewhere to develop economy in Armenia?

A.: Yes, it is possible, but of course it’s important to have the right knowledge of the entrepreneurships of the two countries. And I think one of the very first things we must think of in the future is just to develop good opportunities to get the Italian entrepreneurship to come to Armenia and vice-versa in order to improve mutual knowledge and mutual acquaintance.

Q.: Presently, the Armenian-Turkish normalization process launched. What is Italy’s position in this regard? To your mind, will Ankara open the border gate?

A.: Well, the problem of the Turkish border, I think, is just one of the two important questions of foreign policy that Armenia has to face to. The other question of course is Nagorno-Karabakh and generally speaking, I am inclined to think that the solution of your regional problems is just the prerequisite in order to give the opportunity to Armenia to develop economically. And the position of Italy is to support all peaceful initiatives in order to settle in a definite manner these questions. Italy considers as praiseworthy the Armenian position to try to solve these problems in a peaceful way and through negotiations. The OSCE Minsk Group activity is very important in this perspective because it can really help the country to overcome all the difficulties that can derive from the single bilateral relations between Armenia-Turkey on one side and Armenia-Azerbaijan on the other. But I think it’s really urgent today to solve these regional problems, because that can allow the country to look into the future in a positive way, without barriers. That is most important. So, I think that to talk about the possibility to eliminate this obstacle with Turkey can really help the country in order to gain a wider market. And that is what the Armenian Government shows to have in mind now with the present step taken with the two Protocols for the establishment of diplomatic relations. But I think the other problem is to reach a peaceful settlement of Nagorno-Karabakh crisis. That is also another important factor in order not only to open the borders towards other areas of the region, but also to inspire the necessary trust for foreign investors.

Q.: Do you think that opening of the border will stimulate the export-import and cooperation between Armenia and Turkey?

A.: Why not? I think that even today I see a lot of contacts with Turkey for touristic purposes. As Armenian tourists go to Turkey, it could be possible just the contrary. So I think this factor is also of great significance. In any case to have closed borders for a country is not a favorable condition. It is important, particularly for Armenia, which is a landlocked country, to have free trade with foreign partners and at a lesser cost. In this respect I look upon the program that the Government launched about the construction of highways and railways with great interest.

Q.: Another problematic issue of the region is Karabakhi conflict. What do you think, will the parties eventually reach a consensus? Will Karabakh achieve independence?

A.: Actually, I think that two partners involved should solve the problem in a peaceful way and it would be just a folly to think otherwise. I do feel that a compromise must be found. A compromise does not mean that either party should give up its views, but it’s just a matter of adjustment sometimes, just to balance the needs of the parties involved. I think, in this perspective, that the work the OSCE Minsk Group is doing now about Nagorno-Karabakh, is just the proper way to cope with this question. In other words the Minsk Group is trying to get both parties to come to a compromise. Compromise means to be reasonable, to accept logical situations and conditions that can be beneficial to both sides. We speak of globalization today, but globalization implies transparency. We must get involved in this process, but in a sound way, which means we must cooperate and activate partnerships at all levels in order to solve the problem.

Q.: Speaking globally, how can be Italy interested in Armenia?

A.: Given the presence of a wide convergence of links between our two countries, based not only on religion, Christianity, but also on common historical experience, I think that there is a very good disposition on the side of Armenia to collaborate with Italy in many fields and not only economically, but also culturally. And from the cultural viewpoint, I think that much can be done to improve our contacts and cooperation, for instance is the field of opera. I noticed since the beginning of my stay here that there is a very strong disposition on the part of Armenia to develop the knowledge of lyric singing, which means that Italy, being the cradle of opera, can offer the best product to cooperate, and that is exactly what we are planning to do. Then, we have also many projects of cooperation in order to help Armenia to restore archeological sites and that is also a very important point. We have an archeological mission supported by the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, through a special body, which is the CNR (National Research Center) concerning the area of the Lake of Sevan. It is going to complete its work next year. Then we have also other projects through international organizations that are being carried out with the assistance of the United Nations Development Program: for example the project in the village of Lusadzor – which was recently completed — and the one for brucellosis control with FAO. Another relevant point of the economy is the development of rural areas and in that field I think we can afford to be optimistic about the future.

Q.: What is the probability of Armenia-Azerbaijan military conflict in the light of changes in the region after the August 2008 war?

A.: This is a very strong question, because I would hardly think there could be a conflict over Nagorno-Karabakh again. What happened almost twenty years ago should just be once and for all. Now I would prefer to talk about the possible peaceful solution and it is actually what Italy wants. To resort to weapons or military confrontation is not in the interest of any of the parties involved — neither Armenia, nor Azerbaijan.

Q.: The other day you stated that Italy is ready to assist the construction of Yerevan-Batumi highway and Iran-Armenia railway. Please specify how Italian side could participate in these projects.

A.: When I had the meeting with the RA Minister of Transport and Communication I said that Italy could be ready to evaluate any form of participation in transport field. What I meant is that there are some procedures to follow, as these important works need to be publicized through international biddings. Italian enterprises can participate, but they have to abide by certain conditions that will be stated by Armenian authorities. To be able to carry out the work, funds should be provided, but I think those who are interested in carrying out the work can also consider some kind of financial assistance. But that is a technical matter actually. According to me there could surely be Italian enterprises interested in Armenia. And I will do my best to assist Italian entrepreneurships also in this kind of perspective.
              Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

True, but I don't think they would. Nice to dream though.

Also mac's do get viruses, just that there are way more PC's than Mac's, thus way more viruses out there for PC's.

Last edited by hipeter924; 11-30-2009, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Very important news, it seems that they really want to build an oil refinery (first it seemed that the project was being cancelled):

/ARMENPRESS/ Negotiations over the construction of oil refinery in Armenia have already been completed and soon a financial contract over it is intended to be signed, Armenian Energy and Natural Resources Minister Armen Movsisyan told today. According to him, from the next year, after weather becomes warm the field works will kick off.

The minister said that the Russian side expressed wish to have 5-10% participation in the program via "ArmRusGasProm" company. Till now the Russian participation was not clear yet.

According to initial assessments, for the construction of oil refinery in Armenia by the Armenian-Russian-Iranan cooperation 5 years and 2,5-3 billion USD investments will be needed. It is expected to give 7,5 million tons of production annually.

This is around, after some calculations, 150.000 bbl/d.
                  Last edited by Tigranakert; 12-05-2009, 02:46 AM.

Comment

That's great to hear!
                    For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
                    to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

Wait, but where are we going to get the oil from to refine?

Comment

Working...
                      X