Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

Armenian Air Force

Comment

Nice I guess. *points out I am not that into military things*

Comment

Originally posted by burjuin View Post
        As much as I enjoyed this video, the SU-25s are dinosaurs and will be potentially obsolete in the next war with Azerbaijan.
        Last edited by Federate; 10-05-2009, 04:50 PM.
        Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Landmines still a deadly threat in Armenia

Monday, October 5, 2009

Vercihan ZİFLİOĞLU

YEREVAN - Hürriyet Daily News

The landmines placed near border villages during the Nagorno-Karabakh war between Azerbaijan and Armenia still pose a grave threat to residents’ daily lives. Hundreds of people have been killed or wounded by mines on both sides of border and the lives of children are most at risk, according to a leading peace activist in the region

Rather than seek sanctuary from the deadly clashes around her, Ruzanna Hovannesian insisted on waiting in the bread line a few hundred meters away from home, ration card in hand. As usual, dozens of people waited in a lengthy queue for a single loaf.

“We heard a deafening blast and time came to a standstill,” Hovannesian said. When she managed to stand up amid the wreckage and dust clouds, the sight she saw was horrifying: death was everywhere. Most people in the queue were now lying lifeless. “I was terrified when I thought of my home, my family,” Hovannesian said. It was too late: the target of the blast was her own house.

Hovannesian is still living in Syunik – a region of Armenia bordering Azerbaijan – and is not interested in leaving her village despite the tragedy she experienced. “Peace shall come to this region through the leadership of women,” said Hovannesian, who is now actively working for the Peace Center – an institution that struggles to clear the mines along the Azerbaijani-Armenian border. These mines were laid during the Nagorno-Karabakh war, fought between Azerbaijan and the region’s ethnic Armenian population. Hovannesian is also the founder of the University Graduate Women’s Organization, which is the sole non-governmental organization in Syunik.

Tough conditions

Neither Armenia nor Azerbaijan has cleared the mines even though it has been 16 years since the war ended, Hovannesian told the Hürriyet Daily News & Economic Review for the second Postcard from Armenia. “Many children and adults have lost their lives on both sides of the border because of those mines and there are hundreds who have stepped on a mine and survived,” she said. According to Hovannesian’s recent research on mine casualties, the survivors struggle to live under the extremely hard conditions in Armenia. “The people I have interviewed are not aware of their legal rights. The government is required to give prosthetics to them. We inform them of these rights,” she said.

The mines continue to pose a grave threat, especially to the children, Hovannesian said. “Mines are too close to the villages of Yegvart, Akarak and Hang. The adults are largely aware of the risk but the children are not.”

Many villagers earn their living herding cattle and their worst nightmare is that a whole herd could be slaughtered by a single minefield, Hovannesian said. She called on both Azerbaijan and Armenia to clear the mines as soon as possible. “I hope these lands may never experience war again. That’s my biggest dream. After clearing the hills of mines, this land may become a delta of peace.”

Hovannesian also spoke of her life before the war, suggesting the region’s desire to revive enduring inter-communal relations. “Our villages were close to each other, and these differences did not have meaning before the war,” Hovannesian said. She said hostility and fighting between the two nations do not benefit anyone and voiced a call for the long-awaited peace. “I want to have dialog and friendship between the two nations,” she said. “Just as it was before the war.”

Hovannesian mood darkens whenever she hears about war. “Each time, it takes me back to the exact day when that bomb destroyed my home. This word makes me experience that unbearable pain once more.”

In our third Postcard from Armenia, another peace activist steps forward, this time with 40 wolves in tow, and a debate over a disputed song contest grabs attention across the country.

Link

Comment

Originally posted by Alexandros View Post
            Landmines still a deadly threat in Armenia
            Hovannesian also spoke of her life before the war, suggesting the region’s desire to revive enduring inter-communal relations. “Our villages were close to each other, and these differences did not have meaning before the war,” Hovannesian said. She said hostility and fighting between the two nations do not benefit anyone and voiced a call for the long-awaited peace. “I want to have dialog and friendship between the two nations,” she said. “Just as it was before the war.”
            Link
            Natives want peace, many people in France&USA (called Diaspora) want another war...

Comment

Originally posted by Army View Post
              Natives want peace, many people in France&USA (called Diaspora) want another war...
              Where did you learn that?Is this what they teach you in Turkey?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexandros View Post
                Where did you learn that?Is this what they teach you in Turkey?
                Seriously they teach nothing bad or good to me about Armenia here. No.. just from the forum, the messages about the 'future war'.

Comment

Originally posted by Army View Post
                  Seriously they teach nothing bad or good to me about Armenia here. No.. just from the forum, the messages about the 'future war'.
                  Those of us in the diaspora don't want war, however we know that the U.S. provides Turkey with military equipment and both Armenia and Azerbaijan with military funding. This isn't about what we want, it's about understanding the money trail and the powers that force countries to go to war.
                  "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
                    Those of us in the diaspora don't want war, however we know that the U.S. provides Turkey with military equipment and both Armenia and Azerbaijan with military funding. This isn't about what we want, it's about understanding the money trail and the powers that force countries to go to war.
                    if so that made it clear

Comment

Ex-Official Concerned Over Actual Military Budget Cut
                      Sargis Harutyunyan

A former deputy defense minister expects the planned actual curtailment of military spending envisaged by Armenia’s 2010 state budget to have a negative effect on the country’s defense capability.
                      His concerns, however, are not shared by the Defense Ministry’s chief financier, who says that the 30 percent reduction in spending estimated in U.S. dollars reflects the corresponding depreciation of the national currency that has taken place on the foreign exchange market since the approval of the current year’s budget in late 2008.

The actual reduction, meanwhile, follows the general pattern of the government’s request for the 2010 budgetary expenditures that it plans to slash by nine percent citing the ongoing economic recession and the resulting serious shortfall in tax revenues.

In an interview with RFE/RL on Tuesday, Vahan Shirkhanian, who served as Armenia’s deputy prime minister and deputy defense minister in the late 1990s, said this development is certain to have an impact on the overall fighting capacity of the Armenian army which he described as a complex and dynamic structure that has enjoyed a sufficient level of funding in recent years.

“The [military] budget would grow by $100-120 million every year and that could not but have its [positive] effect in the matter of ensuring [the country’s] military security,” he said. “But today we witness a sharp increase of Azerbaijan’s military budget and it is reflected not only in the increase in funding, but also in its purchasing modern high-precision weapons… I consider it unacceptable that Armenia cut its military spending.”

Speaking to RFE/RL on the phone, the Defense Ministry chief financier Colonel Vagharshak Avetisian said that the Ministry had submitted a request for about 130 billion drams in next year’s budget, which is nearly the same amount as the 2008 request for the current year. However, he explained, considering the devaluation of the national currency by nearly 30 percent, it turns out that the defense budget in 2010 will be nearly 30 percent less.

At the end of 2008, when this year’s military budget was approved, it was equivalent to $426 million. At the current dollar-dram exchange rate, the same amount in drams will be equivalent to $335 million.

But according to Avetisian, in any case the depreciation of the national currency will not affect the Defense Ministry expenditure in the main directions.

“Even if some changes are made in terms of reduction, then our main spending spheres and directions will never be affected by that. And, naturally, if there is a need for reduction, we can make cuts in capital construction, while the other expenditure items will not be affected,” said Avetisian.

Avetisian also downplayed the impact of the exchange rate on military purchases abroad that are transacted in hard currency.

“Our surveys show that the current level of prices [for weaponry] abroad is lower than it was during the past years,” he said.

Avetisian also brushed aside the argument made by the former defense ministry official that certain budget reductions might cause some discontent mainly among senior command staff who will have to complete harder tasks with less funding.

“We have made a budget request based on this year’s volumes. No changes will be made in any spending direction. Moreover, there will be some increase in money allowances,” said Avetisian. “I can say that our armed forces will be provided with everything that is necessary to achieve our objectives at a given period of time.”

A former deputy defense minister expects the planned actual curtailment of military spending envisaged by Armenia’s 2010 state budget to have a negative effect on the country’s defense capability.
                      Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Working...
                      X