Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Azerbaijan - Internal Political Affairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Azerbaijan - Internal Political Affairs

Just because I told the truth -- that not a single sane person would choose to live in Russia over Germany -- I get called a German?

And as far as I'm aware, I haven't killed anyone.

Comment

Just because I told the truth
      You should not feel this is an attack on truth or you. I'm simply pointing out that there is inter race issues in Germany as well. That was the point of your comment when you elaborated that Germany does a better job of integration. There is a huge problem in Germany with toorks and this is also a truth. Seems toorks can't even live like people in the middle of Europe, could be a DNA thing

that not a single sane person would choose to live in Russia over Germany
      I agree with this I'm not in dispute Germany is a better place to live then Russia, and sadly Russia is a better place to live then Armenia. I would like you to know this hurts my feelings that this is so.

I haven't killed anyone.
      Did not mean you had, meant it metaphorically.
      Last edited by Vahram; 01-24-2013, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vahram View Post
        You should not feel this is an attack on truth or you. I'm simply pointing out that there is inter race issues in Germany as well. That was the point of your comment when you elaborated that Germany does a better job of integration. There is a huge problem in Germany with toorks and this is also a truth.
        I said "attempts at tolerance and multiculturalism," didn't I? What's particularly irritating about Russia's treatment of its minorities is that many of them aren't really "immigrants" at all and have been in certain provinces and republics just as long, if not longer, than the Slavs have. The oldest structure in Rostov-on-Don, for example, is an Armenian church.

Comment

This looks a lot bigger then some stupid ho house! The place is torched, and it looks like a much wider area was affected.

Cholmar Cholmar Esheg, Akzina Sickdear....LOL
          Last edited by Vahram; 01-24-2013, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Tom you really think turks are wanted in Germany? Cmon man you been drinkin too much tirkish coffee.
            Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Vrej1915 View Post
              Azerbaijan: Popular Frustration Explodes in Provincial Town
              January 24, 2013 - 12:12pm, by Shahin Abbasov

An auto wreck reportedly involving the son of a powerful politician sparked a rampage by residents in a provincial center in Azerbaijan. The incident suggests that Azerbaijan – an energy-rich Caspian Basin state, and a place where a small coterie around President Ilham Aliyev controls most economic opportunities while steadily restricting civil rights – could be heading toward a bursting point.

Rioting erupted in Ismayilli, a regional center roughly 200 kilometers (about 124 miles) northwest of Azerbaijan’s capital Baku, during the night of January 23. Law enforcement officials struggled to contain the violence, and it wasn’t until massive reinforcements arrived from neighboring areas that order was restored during the late afternoon of January 24. According to eyewitness accounts, several waves of clashes occurred, and police used tear gas and rubber bullets against rioters. Police cars also used megaphones to broadcast calls for crowds to disperse. In response protesters chanted “Resign” and “Freedom,” while hurling rocks and brickbats at police.

Ismayilli is currently in lockdown condition, with civilians ordered to remain indoors and all routes into and out of town blocked. Any male seen outdoors is being detained for questioning, local observers told EurasiaNet.org. According to Interior Ministry data, four people, including one police officer were hospitalized amid the rioting. Dozens were reportedly taken into official custody.

The mood in Ismayilli remained tense, and news agencies reported that fresh clashes involving hundreds of locals and security forces broke out after sundown on January 24.

The region is home to a powerful Azeri family, the Alakbarovs. Fizuli Alakbarov is the country’s minister of labor and social protection, and his brother, Nizami, is the regional governor.

According to a report distributed by the Turan News Agency, Vugar Alakbarov, a son of the labor minister, appeared to be a central figure in the disturbance. Alakbaraov was allegedly in a Humvee sports utility vehicle that collided with a local taxi outside a hotel in the evening of January 23. The property reportedly is owned by Nizami Alakbarov. No injuries were reported in the crash, but, according to witnesses, Vugar Alakbarov assaulted the taxi driver while local police did nothing to intervene. The seeming sense of impunity with which Vugar Alakbarov acted outraged onlookers, setting in motion an upward spiral of emotion that culminated in pitched street battles involving thousands of locals and initially overwhelmed law-enforcement authorities.

Property belonging to the Alakbarovs appeared to be the prime target of the rioters. The Humvee reportedly driven by Vugar Alakbarov and another auto were torched, as was the Hotel Chirag that supposedly belonged to his uncle. The mob then moved on to a villa believed to be owned by Nizami Alakbarov, ransacking it and burning two cars in the courtyard. Later, rioters destroyed commercial facilities in town allegedly owned by Alakbarov family.

The scope of the mob's fury sent authorities both in Ismayilli and Baku into full spin mode. Local police officials and, later, Azerbaijan’s Interior Ministry issued statements denying that the minister’s son, Vugar Alakbarov, had been involved in the incident. According to local police, Alakbarov was not in the region at that day. An Interior Ministry statement asserted that the trouble was provoked by the Chirag Hotel’s manager, Emil Shamsaddinov, and an associate, identified as Elmaddin Mammadov. “Both have been detained by police,” according to the ministry statement.

Meanwhile, the Mediaforum.az news agency distributed an interview on January 24 with the local governor, Nizami Alakbarov, who also insisted that no member of the Alakbarov clan was involved. “Neither my nephew, nor any other relative was there,” Nizami Alakbarov claimed.

The governor went on to suggest that provocateurs were to blame for manufacturing a crisis. “Some aggressive forces pointed the crowd to my house and pogrom was organized,” he said.

Local residents vigorously dispute official statements, insisting that Vugar Alakbarov was at the center of the incident. “We [local residents] are not idiots to make a pogrom if he was not there. Vugar is known in the region, and it was he who was beating a taxi driver there,” one protest participant, who did not want to be named for fear of official retribution, told Eurasianet.org by telephone on January 24.

The witness added that frustration among locals was high with Nizami Alakbarov’s leadership, which he described as high-handed and “repressive.”

“People are unhappy with the corruption and obstacles [hindering] farmers and businessmen that are created by the local administration. We are tired with unemployment, poverty, corruption and the climate of fear,” the local resident said.

Lending credence to the witness’ claim of widespread frustration with Alakbarov’s administration, news reports and videos posted on social networks showed rioters during the morning of January 24 gathering outside Ismayilli’s executive authority building and calling for Alakbarov’s resignation. The governor in his published comments gave no hint that he was contemplating resigning.

Musa Yagub, a former MP from the Ismayilli region, said in an interview with Azadliq Radio that the unrest was the outgrowth of abuse of power on the part of authorities. “It was clear that people are angry and not happy with their life. But local officials continued corrupt practices and even offended people,” Yagub said.

Ali Hasanov, an aide to President Aliyev’s office, told to APA news agency that “those responsible for organizing unrest in Ismayilli have already been detained and of course all of them will be punished.” Aliyev is in Switzerland, participating in Davos economic forum.

In March 2012 a similar outburst of unrest occurred in the Guba Region, resulting in the resignation of the governor there, Rauf Habibov. It is not immediately clear if Aliyev’s administration will take action to push Nizami Alakbarov out of office in Ismayilli.

Editor's note: Shahin Abbasov is a freelance reporter based in Baku.
              Above article states, amongst reasons for unrest is -- general pop. Is tired of " climate of fear".
              This same general pop. gladly help make climate of fear for Armenians and other indigenous people.
              Sorry, I have no compassion for bigots.
              Artashes

Comment

Originally posted by Artashes View Post
                Above article states, amongst reasons for unrest is -- general pop. Is tired of " climate of fear".
                This same general pop. gladly help make climate of fear for Armenians and other indigenous people.
                Sorry, I have no compassion for bigots.
                Artashes
                The people of Artshak got tired of the climate of fear and showed the mother fxckers how to riot, and the rest of their Armenian brothers & sisters backed them up and are going to continue same.
                They ain't seen nothin yet.
                Artashes

Comment

Twitter Results for #Ismayilli

Emin Milli ‏@eminmilli
                  on saturday will participate in Baku peaceful protest against violence of state at Fountain sq. at 15.00 #Azerbaijan #ProtestBaku #Ismayilli
                  Politics is not about the pursuit of morality nor what's right or wrong
                  Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
                  Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

Originally posted by TomServo View Post
                    Just because I told the truth -- that not a single sane person would choose to live in Russia over Germany -- I get called a German?
                    He'll be calling you a "Toork" next - and will claim to have dna evidence to prove it.
                    Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
                      No i think there is plenty to complain about in these countries and yes most of the issues these guys are protesting about do exist in Armenia also. I just dont like the implication that armenians cut n run as if the azeris are so much braver or patriotic or whatever you were implying.
                      Then how do you account for the difference in public reactions between Armenia and Azerbaijan?

The situation in Ismayilli with Alakbarov and his son mirrors almost exactly the situation that existed in Gyumri with Ghukasyan and his son (except that nobody has been saying that Alakbarov's son has committed multiple murders or been engaged in gun battles on the city streets). Even with far more provocation, in Gyumri, nobody torched Ghukasyan's hotel, or his villa, or his son's humvee. And I think the reprisals that will be taken against the Azeri protestors will be far more severe than any reprisals that would have taken place in Armenia in a similar situation.

I think the answer is that Armenians have the option of emigration, that is the option they have been choosing to avoid repression and poverty inside Armenia, and for cultural and historical reasons they are far more willing to do it than their Azeri counterparts. That takes the social pressure off in Armenia - whereas in Azerbaijan, where the oppression is much more heavy handed, the inevitable result is riots.
                      Last edited by bell-the-cat; 01-25-2013, 09:58 AM.
                      Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Working...
                      X