Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Monte Melkonian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Monte Melkonian

Originally posted by Mher View Post
    My concern was your attempt to make everything about Armenia negative. If you saw an article that day on Hetq about someone praising Monte or highlighting his life, you would never have posted it. Oh No. Because that's not your job. Your job is to create negativity, cancer, doom, and gloom. So you found an article that does that. I don't care what her writings were inspired by. I don't even ask how your gonna prove what inspired her writings. I don't want to descend to these new lows that you always manage to go to. The bottom line is, this sort of negativity, its not constructive criticism, its not talking about what should be improved, or what would be a better way to do things. It's just someone listing general vague negatives about a country, and leaving it at that. It does nothing to improve Armenia. It only contributes to a environment of hopelessness, and I don't see how this is helpful to the Armenian Cause. So she's entitled to her opinion, and discussing her husband. But that doesn't make those opinion valid or worthy of reading.
    And you've just reached a very disapointing low. You come over like someone stealing a hero's image for an avatar to make himself look bigger, but interested in nothing that the hero actually stood for or anything that his life could teach. You even call yourself after a god! You state that a wife's opinion of her husband and his beliefs isn't valid and isn't worthy of reading! And you claim that it is not something that should be posted in a thread about that husband! What makes YOUR opinion about Melkonian valid?
    Last edited by bell-the-cat; 01-20-2014, 08:01 AM.
    Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by Serjik View Post
      OK knowing some of you guys I am going to get major flak for this but I met sedas sister here in NYC during some ASA/AYF gathering. I think her name was lusin? Not very impressed and thats putting it lightly. Nice girl but very leftist liberal feminist westernized type. Even heard Sedas got married to an odar after Montes death and was living in Alaska for some time. I dont know what she is up to now. Anyway why is it important what Montes wife thinks about anything? You guys sound ridiculas. its like saying the catholic popes barber is an atheist. So what?
      You are a supporter of the establishment, so you would have been the sort of person who would have opposed him, and, in his Lebanon days, maybe even betrayed him. And 100 years ago, you would have been the person to have betrayed Fedayeen leaders, sent that nightime message to the Turks to surround such and such a house, not expecting any actual reward from them, but happy that your hatred of those who disrupt your established existence and peace of mind are going to be dealt with.
      Last edited by bell-the-cat; 01-20-2014, 08:03 AM.
      Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by Mher View Post
        ya axper I was at an event hosted by the Hayrenaser organization in honor of his birthday in Dec 2011, and they did a video interview with her and she was in Alaska. In regards to marrying a non-Armenian you can't blame her. In the Armenian community it's not very easily to be remarried if you are a woman. I wouldn't be surprised about the whole liberal westernized feminist crap, as it seems to get people here, especially woman, pretty fast.

I don't know what Monte would do, and I don't want to be like one of those idiots who try to say what someone dead would do, but I find it hard to believe that a guy who had the utmost optimism when there was no Armenia, or when he was in prison, or when he was fighting an improbable war, would just say " oh this is hopeless, we need to feel sorry for ourselves".
        Maybe it was the very same ideals that you casually dismiss as the "whole liberal westernized feminist crap", and all the other ideals from which it grew from (the belief that, basically, there was a better future to be had if it was in your hands, not in the hands of your rulers), that stopped Melkonian descending to your "oh this is hopeless, we need to feel sorry for ourselves (and emigrate)".
        Last edited by bell-the-cat; 01-20-2014, 01:44 PM.
        Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
          Grim, very grim is our present. Quo Vadimus…
          Seda Gbranian-Melkonian

It’s Monte’s birthday again. A time of accountability and reflection on what we have and have not done.

However, when I think about the past several months, I hardly find anything positive to report in the Armenian reality. In an atmosphere where economic interests overshadow everything else, an empty country looks at us. A country, whose population gradually seeks conditions of survival wherever it happens to be, since the “Royalty” does not seem to be very interested in what happens to its “subjects.”

Perhaps the only movement we can see is the few backward steps concerning migration, the draining of the aquifer and other probable drainage processes. Grim, very grim is our present. Quo Vadimus…
          It's obvious that "we" are going nowhere. Optimism and self-deception are two different things. Seda is right about the catastrophic conditions and the ignorant leadership. In Germany there is saying - "Die Hoffnung stibt zuletzt" meaning "Hope dies last" but even hope dies at a certain point.

Comment

As I read Mher's words, I see a clear and irrefutable recognition of the deplorable problems facing Hayastan.
            I do not see someone with a foolish, bubbly optimism about how things are in Armenia.
            As Mher said : it is not only important to recognize the shortfalls, but also the positive aspects as well.
            As Mesrob refused to say that he invented the Armenian script, but rather said ... I was looking for a thing & I found a thing. So those of us who are being accused of "being hopeful" are actually doing.
            We are not only recognizing the positive aspects, but searching for "a thing" that is positive & benificial to our beleaguered country.
            That is not the same as false hope.
            Insofar as --- hope is the last to die ---- comment,
            Hope will die when the LAST man or woman stops striving for a solution.
            Until the last of us are dead, we will keep searching.
            Artashes

Comment

Originally posted by Artashes View Post
              We are not only recognizing the positive aspects, but searching for "a thing" that is positive & benificial to our beleaguered country.
              It is

Arguably one of the most positive “things” that Armenia has achieved is its army.
              It is able to defend our borders and give the enemy a good hiding if need be.

This can give us the belief that as long as we have a strong army we are a strong country at least defence wise.
              This is false.

We appear to be following the mentality of the Soviet Union which focused primarily on its military might,
              it had enough nuclear weapons to destroy the entire world ten time over, and yet it collapsed.
              Not from its natural ( external) enemies but from within.

With 20/20 hindsight it is not difficult to see why, because it ignored many other things that makes a country strong and great.
              However if you followed the Soviet news flow of the time (propaganda) you only got the good news.

Foolishly not realising that what destroys a country is not the lack of good things, but not removing (correcting) the bad things.

Politics is not about the pursuit of morality nor what's right or wrong
              Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
              Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

Originally posted by HermanGerman View Post
                It's obvious that "we" are going nowhere. Optimism and self-deception are two different things. Seda is right about the catastrophic conditions and the ignorant leadership. In Germany there is saying - "Die Hoffnung stibt zuletzt" meaning "Hope dies last" but even hope dies at a certain point.
                Originally posted by Artashes View Post
                As I read Mher's words, I see a clear and irrefutable recognition of the deplorable problems facing Hayastan.
                I do not see someone with a foolish, bubbly optimism about how things are in Armenia.
                As Mher said : it is not only important to recognize the shortfalls, but also the positive aspects as well.
                As Mesrob refused to say that he invented the Armenian script, but rather said ... I was looking for a thing & I found a thing. So those of us who are being accused of "being hopeful" are actually doing.
                Insofar as --- hope is the last to die ---- comment,
                Hope will die when the LAST man or woman stops striving for a solution.
                Until the last of us are dead, we will keep searching.
                Artashes
                Originally posted by londontsi View Post
                It is

Arguably one of the most positive �things� that Armenia has achieved is its army.
                It is able to defend our borders and give the enemy a good hiding if need be.

This can give us the belief that as long as we have a strong army we are a strong country at least defence wise.
                This is false.

We appear to be following the mentality of the Soviet Union which focused primarily on its military might,
                it had enough nuclear weapons to destroy the entire world ten time over, and yet it collapsed.
                Not from its natural ( external) enemies but from within.

With 20/20 hindsight it is not difficult to see why, because it ignored many other things that makes a country strong and great.
                However if you followed the Soviet news flow of the time (propaganda) you only got the good news.

Foolishly not realising that what destroys a country is not the lack of good things, but not removing (correcting) the bad things.

--- optimism & self deception are two different things ---
                No one is expressing optimism that the destructive oligarch/corrupt govt is being corrected.
                The recognition of this by those advocating positive actions is the opposite of self deception.
                ---- searching for a "thing" that has not been found that can turn the tide, is not the same as false hope ---
                --- yes it is ---
                Not sure I'm following your argument, or that your addressing mine.
                What's the alternative to my argument ? Throw up our hands and say : we give up ?
                The first step in solving a problem is to recognize the problem.
                That part has been done. No one is saying what appears to be an insurmountable problem doesn't exist.
                What's the next step ?
                Because these problems have not been successfully addressed, does not mean we should not continue to search for a solution.
                For me to say ... We must keep searching, is not the same as being delusional, but rather realistic.
                We haven't found an answer to these serious problems YET. Therefore, obviously we need to continue the search.
                What's the alternative ? To discontinue the search ? To stop trying & say : the hell with it ?
                Mesrob actually had no idea what he was searching for. But he kept turning it over & over & over etc.
                And now we have our own writing !
                Mission impossible accomplished !
                Shall we not at least attempt to rise to this daunting challenge ?
                Artashes

Comment

And you've just reached a very disapointing low. You come over like someone stealing a hero's image for an avatar to make himself look bigger, but interested in nothing that the hero actually stood for or anything that his life could teach. You even call yourself after a god! You state that a wife's opinion of her husband and his beliefs isn't valid and isn't worthy of reading! And you claim that it is not something that should be posted in a thread about that husband! What makes YOUR opinion about Melkonian valid?
                  There are so many flaws in your "arguments" that I'm really going to regret wasting 5 minutes and a lot of energy responding to this garbage:

"You come over like someone stealing a hero's image for an avatar to make himself look bigger"

How did you come to that conclusion? I just used a picture of a Armenian hero just like the many Andraniks, Nzhdehs, Vartan Zoravar, and many other fedayees. How does that translate to make myself look bigger?

"interested in nothing that the hero actually stood for or anything that his life could teach."

Can you explain some of those things that I'm not interested in?
                  While you do that, here's a few "nothings" that I do stand for:
                  repatriating to my homeland
                  fighting to maintain an independent homeland
                  fighting for a homeland free of corruption
                  fighting for my nation if necessary

"You even call yourself after a god!"
                  I don't even know what that means you confused jackass. Do you mean Mher? That's my first name. And Mher wasn't a God. It was given to me before you probably ever knew where Armenia was located on a map.

"You state that a wife's opinion of her husband and his beliefs isn't valid and isn't worthy of reading! And you claim that it is not something that should be posted in a thread about that husband! What makes YOUR opinion about Melkonian valid"

First of Monte Melkonian was not a God. He was one of the many thousands of soldiers who contributed equally to a free Armenia. In fact had he not died, like Jirair Sefilian or the many others, we very likely wouldn't be talking about him much today. So don't make it seem like I try to make a religious icon out of someone doing what tens of thousands of 18 year old are doing at this very moment. He is simply one of the many heroes in our history that I admire.

I haven't expressed any opinions of him for them to be valid. I don't pretend my opinion is valid on much at my age. All I've done on this thread is recommend people read his book and I reposted the videos posted by someone else about him.

It’s Monte’s birthday again. A time of accountability and reflection on what we have and have not done.

However, when I think about the past several months, I hardly find anything positive to report in the Armenian reality. In an atmosphere where economic interests overshadow everything else, an empty country looks at us. A country, whose population gradually seeks conditions of survival wherever it happens to be, since the “Royalty” does not seem to be very interested in what happens to its “subjects.”

Perhaps the only movement we can see is the few backward steps concerning migration, the draining of the aquifer and other probable drainage processes. Grim, very grim is our present. Quo Vadimus…
                  How is any of that her opinion on her husband ??? PLEASE SHOW ME WHERE MONTE IS MENTIONED IN HER CRITIQUE OF ARMENIA. the fact that is Monte's birthday is her opening to criticizing the Armenian society. A society which she is not a part of at the moment That's her opinion on Armenia. What makes her an expert on Armenia? What makes her an expert on politics, on society, on geopolitics? Because her husband was a soldier during the first 2 years of that countries existence? Because she lived there up until 10-15 years ago? By that logic I should sit down with any of my aunts and get my geopolitical knowledge on the caucuses from them.

It's about time your shut your mouth and stop spilling your bullxxxx. You need to stop thinking your opinion matters, or anyone reads this bs you write, just because you have a lot of time to spare to criticize things you know nothing about.

Comment

Now you guys come here to discuss Monte's legacy or his wifes? Wife is not the hero of our nation. Monte is.
                    Wife is not in Armenia, Monte is.
                    Do you think that Monte would sit and craw like some of you are doing? or he would do somithing about it? I am not saying that anyone of you should be Monte. Not even worth polishing his booths(but learning from him, yesss). If he would seek only negatives and craw and cry, he wouldn't go and do what he did and achieve what he did.
                    Tha fact is, he left Armenia in much better condition than he found it.
                    Instead of bringing Monte's works and deeds here, wife's? because it fits your ideas today? and call it honoring Monte?
                    There are other threads in this forum where you guys can go and cry (zrrrrrrrraaaalll ) your hearts out about "Armenia's Hopelessness". But please do not spit your festering hearts in this thread dedicated to our hero.
                    I am not saying you cannot loose hope, It's your's to loose. But do not advertise it here. There are plenty of threads about it.

Comment

Իմ կենացս մի խմեք, իմ գործս շարունակեք. ՄՈՆԹԵ
                      "Don't drink toasts for me, continue my work". Monte

Comment

Working...
                      X