Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Are Iranian-Armenians Iranian? What is Armenian Assimilation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Persopolis
    replied
    Re: Are Iranian-Armenians Iranian? What is Armenian Assimilation?

Originally posted by Eddo211 View Post
    Iran is a very multi-ethnic groups with centuries of intermixing which makes up Iranians. True Persian are now down to 45%.
    In Iran, we love all of national minorities; I'd say the 2 most distinct groups are the Shia-Arabs in the South-West (near where you lived) and a small town of Turkmen on the border with Turkmenistan -- Iran is a huge place. Most of the other Iranians are pretty much native tribes of Iran-Zamin. I'm not worried about having 43% Persians or 42% (that's still between 30-35 million people); But I don't believe those figures anyway because they are generated from outside the country (you would have to rely on a domestic census). Nevertheless, I love that Iran has been so influential (if you count our diaspora & mixed-marriages we're easily 200+ million. )

Iranians aren't confused about who they are -- we have pictures of each tribal group going back thousands of years:

It happens all of the time: Mahaya Petrossian actually moved to London and found an Iranian guy there ... I wish her happiness.
    LONDON, October 24 (IranMania) - The well-known Armenian actress of Iranian origin, Mahaya Petrossian converted to Shia Islam last week. According to the Sunday issue of the Persian morning daily of Tosse'e quoting Khurshid website, she converted to Islam following her marriage to a Muslim young man. Speaking to Khurshid reporter, she confirmed the report and said that she had been in doubt for a long time whether to remain a Christian or convert to Islam. "However, what happened in my personal life, namely my marriage to a Muslim man, put an end to my doubt and I eventually became a Muslim," added the actress.
    Last edited by Persopolis; 04-16-2011, 11:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mos
    replied

Originally posted by Eddo211 View Post
    estrang Parsic chen.....Iran is a very multi-ethnic groups with centuries of intermixing which makes up Iranians. True Persian are now down to 45%. Throw in Arab factor with religion then you can get an Idea.

We Armenian in Iran have never been in that mix and have always managed to maintain our own unique ancient roots from our way of life. It has been objective number one, ask any Paskahay who has been an adult in Iran.

We look different as well against our Persian friends and the Iranians can tell right away from looks (most of the time) that we are Armenians. We also speak Farsi with a strong Armenian accent.
    yes, you make a good point...

Leave a comment:

• Eddo211
    replied

Originally posted by Mos View Post
    these 2 persians.
    estrang Parsic chen.....Iran is a very multi-ethnic groups with centuries of intermixing which makes up Iranians. True Persian are now down to 45%. Throw in Arab factor with religion then you can get an Idea.

We Armenian in Iran have never been in that mix and have always managed to maintain our own unique ancient roots from our way of life. It has been objective number one, ask any Paskahay who has been an adult in Iran.

We look different as well against our Persian friends and the Iranians can tell right away from looks (most of the time) that we are Armenians. We also speak Farsi with a strong Armenian accent.

Leave a comment:

• Persopolis
    replied

Originally posted by UrMistake View Post
    Persepolis we had many wars with ancient persia,and we had times of truce,it is more a matter of geopolitics something that maybe you have forgotten or dont know,that vary thing makes us different with the larger persian group ,ok lets no go further, many byzantine dynasties were armenian ones and clearly fought wars to secure armenian part of the empire.

Take example of europeans,it is fact that every 100 years so far they have wars it is natural,cause they are different with each other but they have found a common language.
    This thread is about family relationships / DNA / Assimilation: Title = "Are Iranian-Armenians Iranian? What is Armenian Assimilation?" The Only Topical Comments & Responses are at Posts 1 & 15-18.
    Last edited by Persopolis; 04-16-2011, 09:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Persopolis
    replied

Originally posted by ArmSurvival View Post
    So by that token, we can also claim that Iranians are part of Greater Armenia.
    You can claim anything you want - convincing 80 million Iranians is another task. Read the earlier quote I made to someone on the topic below:

Originally posted by Persopolis View Post
    Though Mos knows little about Iran apart from the standard Zionist propaganda he constantly spouts off about Iranians -- he wants to propagate that nonsense without the participation of Iranians while pushing a myth that we are going to jump through the computer screen and deprive Armenia of self-rule by creating a "Greater Iran." It's a phony scare tactic typical of the Zionist lobby.
    Last edited by Persopolis; 04-16-2011, 09:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• UrMistake
    replied

Persepolis we had many wars with ancient persia,and we had times of truce,it is more a matter of geopolitics something that maybe you have forgotten or dont know,that vary thing makes us different with the larger persian group ,ok lets no go further, many byzantine dynasties were armenian ones and clearly fought wars to secure armenian part of the empire.

Take example of europeans,it is fact that every 100 years so far they have wars it is natural,cause they are different with each other but they have found a common language.

Leave a comment:

• haysip
    replied

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
    ... though really for this I need a smilie that is rolling around with side-splitting laughter! First time I've seen his idiot face though. For someone claiming that (if Haysip's summary is correct) the "Armenian genotype" today is exactly the same as it was 3000 years ago he looks more like an underfed Russian than a typical Armenian, and the woman after him looks like a decrepid old Persian peasant! Mind you, Hilter was far from his own ideal "Germanic genotype".
    looks like u dont speak Armenian cuz he answered all your statements made in this quote, including about the German people...

Leave a comment:

• ArmSurvival
    replied

Originally posted by Persepolis
    It's a 2 way street - genes flow both ways.
    So by that token, we can also claim that Iranians are part of Greater Armenia.

Leave a comment:

• Persopolis
    replied

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
    The Turkish Ghaznavids, who ruled most of eastern Iran in the 10th century, were invited in by the Abassid caliphate. They came from central Asia via Khorasan and western Afghanistan. The Seljuk Turks took the same route, first defeating the Ghaznavids, and by 1055 they were marching into Baghdad. Tughrul, leader of the Seljuks in Iran, then diverted further migrating Seljuk armies away from his own territories in Iran by encouraging them to move north and invade Armenia instead. No invasions of Iran came from the direction of Armenia.
    At least your remarks were more intelligent than the others -- Here's the context in Chronological order:

1. I asserted that the Ottoman-Turks and Iran had military conflicts for which Armenia came into play. (The real subject matter at hand is the birth of children that occurs during military incursions, as being relevant to the subject of assimilation). http://www.armenica.org/cgi-bin/arme...=10=nada=1=3=A

2. The subsequent comment from "Haysip" was topical to the question of assimilation (changes in the Armenian gene pool) wherein he asserted "those babies that were not Armenian were being destroyed." In other words, he asserts that Armenians kept themselves "pure" of the genes of invaders.

3. One of the guys above (don't really want to waste my life identifying who) -- seemingly having nothing topical to write -- decided to assert that the Ottoman advance did not originate from West of Iran (where Ottoman-Turkey is actually located). In trying to keep close to the subject at hand I pointed out that others groups from the Northern caucuses also invaded Armenia (and made babies = let's call it 'genetic assimilation' for purposes of simplicity).

It's a tangential point, but what is funny is that my version is consistent with the Armenian version. Here's one example and you can find dozens more at the same link run by Armenica.org: http://www.armenica.org/cgi-bin/arme...=10=nada=1=3=A

FROM Armenica.org: "At the Armenian border, Sultan Mehmet II [of Ottoman Turkey lying to the West of Iran] encountered the Turkmen who controlled Persia and Armenia and consequently posed a threat to Asia Minor. He defeated the Turkmen army at Terjan, by the Euphrates River. The battle was bloody, probably the harshest which Sultan Mehmet II had yet experienced. The Ottomans won the battle mainly due to their larger number of canons. Thereby the Turkmen threat against Asia Minor was eradicated. By the time of his death, Sultan Mehmet II had expanded the Ottoman Empire as far as the present day Erzinjan. Only Armenia and Persia remained in Turkmen possession. Persia, however, with the emergence of the Sefevid Ismail Shah, pulled its forces together, defeated the Turkmen and liberated itself from foreign rule, expelling the Turks in 1472 not only from Persia, but also from Armenia."
    A similar scenario also played out with Shah Abbas - but several of the characters above rely on the history lessons they were given in bars and bus stops (so it's not really worth responding to - I generally just ignore off-point remarks).

The real point is that there was modification of the gene pool inherent with various military incursions into Armenia -- i.e., the subject of this thread.

Leave a comment:

• bell-the-cat
    replied

Originally posted by Persopolis View Post
    Armenia was the easiest way to try to get into Iran.
    The Turkish Ghaznavids, who ruled most of eastern Iran in the 10th century, were invited in by the Abassid caliphate. They came from central Asia via Khorasan and western Afghanistan. The Seljuk Turks took the same route, first defeating the Ghaznavids, and by 1055 they were marching into Baghdad. Tughrul, leader of the Seljuks in Iran, then diverted further migrating Seljuk armies away from his own territories in Iran by encouraging them to move north and invade Armenia instead. No invasions of Iran came from the direction of Armenia.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X