Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Pr. Sargsyan declares amnesty for Political Prisoners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pr. Sargsyan declares amnesty for Political Prisoners

There are people to be punished as result of the March 1 events, no doubt about that, especially anybody that specifically gave orders for people to do what they did that day. That being said, just merely saying "we need a revolution" doesn't, in my view, warrant such punishment. Any idiot can say that they want a revolution, doesn't necessarily make them dangerous. The people that should be punished are the ones who specifically advocated revolution and followed through by specifically ordering violence and organising such an overthrow from the top. Now, I don't know much about what happened in the court rooms and what evidence was brought up, but all I'm saying is that there should be this clear distinction. Many of such activists just speak grand words, but do nothing about it.
    That's also what I am stating.

In my view, with some of these "concessions" Serzh's favourability has gone up - which is good, because I don't want levon criminals retaking government and selling Artsakh to Turks than Armenia to the highest bidder.
    Time will show us.

Comment

I may be wrong but judging from the president's latest shrewd moves, could it be that by releasing these brainless people he attempts to diminish the significance of the so-called opposition in the eyes of the people supporting them?

Comment

Mos jan, I remember seeing on Haylur how pashinyan was provoking the crowd to get their hands on anything they could to arm themselves for 'defence'. There was a construction site nearby he said that people could get stones and sticks from there to use against the police. This video was also on YouTube when I find it I'll post it.
        In my opinion pashinyan should've gotten a death sentence by hanging.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucin View Post
          I may be wrong but judging from the president's latest shrewd moves, could it be that by releasing these brainless people he attempts to diminish the significance of the so-called opposition in the eyes of the people supporting them?
          This is what I thought as well. I don't believe in a deal between levon and president Serzh Sargsyan.

Comment

Originally posted by Lernakan View Post
            Mos jan, I remember seeing on Haylur how pashinyan was provoking the crowd to get their hands on anything they could to arm themselves for 'defence'. There was a construction site nearby he said that people could get stones and sticks from there to use against the police. This video was also on YouTube when I find it I'll post it.
            In my opinion pashinyan should've gotten a death sentence by hanging.
            Was he saying those stones and sticks to be picked up to attack the police as provocation or to defend themselves from police attacking? If the first thing than yes he should have been punished accordingly, if the second than not.
            Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
            ---
            "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Armenia: Opposition Leader Offers Olive Branch to Government
              June 1, 2011 - 3:45pm, by Mariann Grigoryan
              Armenia EurasiaNet's Weekly Digest Armenian Politics
              After more than three years of political strife, the Armenian government and the country’s main opposition coalition, the Armenian National Congress, appear ready to bury the hatchet.

At a May 31 rally in Yerevan, former President Levon Ter-Petrosian, leader of the Armenian National Congress (ANC) called “for a formal dialogue with authorities.” He added that the ANC would select a delegation “within the next few days” to conduct political talks with government representatives. The ANC is also planning to present a “dialogue agenda to authorities” that includes a call for early presidential and parliamentary elections, Ter-Petrosian said.

News of the ANC’s conciliatory steps followed the release of opposition activists Nikol Pashinian and Sasun Mikaelian. Both were imprisoned for their alleged role in the 2008 street violence that followed Armenia’s last presidential elections.

In a marked departure from his earlier portrayals of President Serzh Sargsyan’s administration as having stolen the 2008 election, Ter-Petrosian urged his supporters to give the government’s views a fair hearing. The pending political talks, he declared, do “not mean we should not take into consideration the agenda and counter-offers put forward by the government, otherwise the parity [between the ANC and government] will be violated.”

At a June 1 press briefing, Parliamentary Speaker Hovik Abrahamian welcomed Ter-Petrosian’s readiness for talks. “When the radical opposition addresses such a proposal to authorities, I think the president of the republic will take the initiative and organize this dialogue, which I believe will favor the interests of the Republic of Armenia and the people,” Abrahmian said.

Ter-Petroisian’s announcement disappointed some of his followers. Forty-three-year-old furniture-maker Vardan Ayvazian described himself as “deeply upset” by the decision on “laying down arms,” given Armenia’s severe problems with unemployment and labor migration.

“Did we strive for a dialogue in this format after so many years of struggle?” asked Ayvazian. “I had far more expectations; I thought I was fighting for great changes.”

Local analysts believe the ANC’s calls for dialogue and for early elections are aimed at maintaining voters’ trust. “This is a rational approach; Levon Ter-Petrosian understands that he cannot act differently,” said independent political analyst Yerevand xxxoian, noting that Armenians appeared to be increasingly fatigued with political rallies.

Signs of a thaw came fitfully, but consistently in recent months. As Ter-Petrosian toned down his anti-government rhetoric, officials started to make concessions, including a decision to permit opposition rallies in Yerevan’s Freedom Square, site of the 2008 clashes between police and protesters. Officials also announced a new investigation into the 2008 events and declared an amnesty that freed those described as political prisoners by the opposition.

Aiming to reassure his supporters that no back-room political bargain has already been fixed between the ANC leadership and the Sargsyan administration, Ter-Petrosian stressed that “a dialogue does not at all mean loving and hugging each other, or reviewing one’s opinion about the other party.”

Independent political analyst Suren Surenyants, a former senior Ter-Petrosian supporter, expressed hope that the dialogue would make Armenia’s political dynamic more evenly balanced, and lead, eventually, to fair elections. “[T]his dialogue will create a favorable situation for both parties in the future,” Surenyants claimed. “No changes can be expected without mutual concessions.”

But one non-ANC opposition politician, senior Heritage Party MP Armen Martirosian, voiced concern that the ANC might still abandon its political values in an effort to obtain a share of power.

“Since the parties are ready to make concessions, they will come to an agreement on other issues as well,” Martirosian said. xxxoian echoed that assessment. “[M]ost likely, the so-called dialogue refers not to early elections or to [addressing] people’s social problems, but rather to sharing power,” he asserted.

Editor's note: Marianna Grigoryan is a freelance reporter based in Yerevan and editor-in-chief of MediaLab.am.

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
                Who are these 400? There are not 400 people in jail for the protests that followed the February 2008 presidential election. Not 400, not even 40. I bet these 400 are actually mostly Sarkisian-supporting mafiosi criminals, or officials convicted of bribary and corruption, or police officers convicted of torturing or murdering suspects, or military officers convicted of murdering their conscripts.
                Seems I was right - the amnesty covers officials convicted or accused of bribary and corruption (and most of them will be government supporters, though the one below wasn't).

Opposition MP's Brother Released
                RFE/RL Rport 03.06.2011
                Elina Chilingarian

The brother of Zaruhi Postanjian, a prominent Armenian opposition
                parliamentarian, was set free on Friday after spending more than three
                months in detention on corruption charges which the opposition
                Zharangutyun (Heritage) party says are politically motivated.

Tigran Postanjian walked free during his trial at a district court in
                Yerevan. The presiding judge, Artur Mkrtchian, said he qualifies for a
                general amnesty declared by the Armenian authorities late last month.

Postanjian, who worked for the administration of Yerevan's Arabkir
                district, was arrested in late February and charged with receiving
                100,000 drams ($275) to turn a blind eye to illegal construction
                carried out by a local resident. He has denied the accusations,
                linking them with the political activities of his outspoken sister,
                who is affiliated with Zharangutyun.

Zaruhi and her party have likewise accused the Armenian authorities of
                fabricating the case to intimidate and silence her. Law-enforcement
                authorities dismiss these claims.
                Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Working...
                X