Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

The Future of Armenia and Armenians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Future of Armenia and Armenians

I know this is something done before, but I wanted to re-cap this in light of the current trends in Armenia, and abroad in the Diaspora. As we all know Armenia has been suffering one of the worst population declines, due to a low birth-rate, and emigration, since there is no chance of life in Armenia, due to government idiocy, and criminality. Anyone can go to the basic news site and read up on the current trends.

- News on Armenia, Artsakh, Armenian Diaspora, South Caucasus and the World: Armenpress- your source of reliable information

It does not take a math wizard to project the population implosion into the distant future, and see that the future doesn't bode too well for Armenia, nor its people. As Armenia is more and more depleted of its population, the people find haven abroad in the diaspora, where they have a better chance at life. The Diaspora is said to be a good thing, and all, because of all the opportunies. Unfortunately, like all things, there are good sides and bad sides. The good side is evident: A chance to prosper, educate thyself, be able to get rewards for your input of work and studying, etc. The bad side is obviously the cultural disintegration. More and more Armenians will assimilate, and this isn't meant to somehow get "mad" at them or anything. It is simply the inevitable process of historical forces.

Solutions are thrown out from every corner, such as Armenians emigrating back to Armenia from the Diaspora, but how many will seriously move back? It is evident that to many Armenians the seriousness of a culture asunder is not obvious. Either they have not been versed on the matter, or they simply do not care. The new Armenian generation in my age range and below is really a horrible ignorant and stupid bunch, especially here in L.A. from the very unique "I'm unique because I go to clubs and I have a v-tech engine" xxxos to the thuggish "I wanna be black" fools. In each case, it is a bunch of stupid apathetic morons who know nothing of their heritage, their language, nor what the simple geopolitical situations are in the world around them. Is this what it has come to?

There was this supposed dream of a Armenia from sea to sea. Ironically, it was another Young Turk dream of Talaat and Enver to have a Pan-Turkic state spanning from sea to sea, and it appears that is where it is headed, in a cold, and calculated yet bold historical process. Perhaps Armenians lived for far too long. Either way, it is a wounded body, with the knife stuck in its back, breathing and gasping its last breaths, as it slowly dies by the wound. I'm told I am pessimisstic. But what's being pessimisstic when one simply projects the current trends into the distant future? There is no pessimism, just reality getting closer and closer.

In 100-200 years the Armenians in the Diaspora will be assimilated, and this is no surprise, and only the process of the centrifugal forces of history. No one is to blame for the inevitable processes of history. Nor do many Armenians care nowadays, and what is the point? Who cares? As long as most of us can live for the self-seeking gratification of what we vaguely term 'happiness' as long as we have a good paying job and enjoy our life in the Diaspora, a culture is in the midst of disappearing. Like the former Armenian communities in Eastern Europe, and the Crimea, the current ones in the Diaspora will eventually subside, as the wind unleashes its forces unto the dim flickering light of whatever is left from the cultural candle. Perhaps there is nothing Armenians could do. Perhaps this is simply the forces of history acting, as they have always acted. Perhaps it is simply destiny and the rise and fall of civilizations. Perhaps the reason I am bothered by this is because I can feel its effects personally, since I have personally felt the touch of this culture, as I'm a part of it. It remains, what lies ahead, nothing can prepare us for.
    Achkerov kute.

You are quite pessimistic. I write this as I am waiting for my parents to get ready to go to St. Sarkis Armenian Church over in Douglaston. And the fact that most of the people that go to this church are from the diaspora and that most of them speak, read and write Armenian and go to the church and have a strong Armenian community here after almost 90 years in the US shows me that assimilation is not as big of a problem as you make it out to be. Dont worry about it, it will all be good, these kids will sooner or later realize what it is to be Armenian and there will be a backlash from the way they are now as long as they have families that have a strong culture.

Anyway Happy Easter guys.

Comment

What you speak is obvious. Hypothetically speaking that 20% "keep their culture" but the other 80% "die out" doesn't mean much better. Numbers are everything in this, and Armenians lack it.
      Achkerov kute.

Comment

I wish I disagreed with you, Anonymouse. Unfortunately, I too, have the same fears. I see around me always Armenians that embrace non-Armenian cultural things and dillude themselves into thinking that it is in some way Armenian because other Armenians are accepting them. How do you educate so many people as to the dire situation the culture is now in? And with such a disgusting government body, I cannot blame people for leaving. I wish that there was some sort of plan. Some way to not only educate the diaspora but to improve the political situation in the motherland in order that the education may be of some purpose. The purpose being, of course, to repopulate a beautiful dying country and igniting a flame of culture within Armenians all over the globe.

Comment

Well we as a people have been known to basically assimilate into other cultures, coutnries, peoples whatever you want to call it. There was a study I read that stated that about 2000 years ago there were more Armenians then Chinese, thats crazy. I know its not that relevent, but I found it very intersting.

Comment

all of this makes me feel sad

Comment

Anon you worry too much. It is important that we remember who we are and where we come from, but are things really as bad as you say they are? I understand how a lot of younger kids who were born in the US feel the need to be more American, but when they get older they will go searching for their true identity and they will find the Armenian in them. Maybe I dont see what you see from the many Armenians in LA, but from my own experience people can accept and recognize the identity that gave them birth (Armenia) and still live a life as an American citizen, in a nation that gave, me personally, hope and a future.

Comment

Originally posted by Inna
                Anon you worry too much. It is important that we remember who we are and where we come from, but are things really as bad as you say they are? I understand how a lot of younger kids who were born in the US feel the need to be more American, but when they get older they will go searching for their true identity and they will find the Armenian in them. Maybe I dont see what you see from the many Armenians in LA, but from my own experience people can accept and recognize the identity that gave them birth (Armenia) and still live a life as an American citizen, in a nation that gave, me personally, hope and a future.
                Inna, I used to be as naive as you sound when I lived in South Dakota (which is just as bad as NC when it comes to lack of Armenians). All that changed when I moved to California and witnessed the deterioration of our beautiful culture that is so apparent here.

Comment

Originally posted by sSsflamesSs
                  Inna, I used to be as naive as you sound when I lived in South Dakota (which is just as bad as NC when it comes to lack of Armenians). All that changed when I moved to California and witnessed the deterioration of our beautiful culture that is so apparent here.
                  yes..maybe I view this the way I do simply because I've lived in NC most of my life...but I too have accepted an "American" lifestyle in some ways or another, does that mean I am a lost hope? There is good and bad in every culture, maybe Cali was unfortuante to have more bad Armenians then the rest of US.

Comment

Originally posted by Inna
                    There is good and bad in every culture, maybe Cali was unfortuante to have more bad Armenians then the rest of US.
                    Perhaps, but the rules of entropy predict otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                    X