Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Is Turkey Going Islamist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Turkey Going Islamist?

by Daniel Pipes
    New York Sun
    June 7, 2005

Is Turkey going Islamist? Is it on the road to implementing Islamic law, known as the Shari'a?

I replied in the affirmative to these questions in a symposium at FrontPageMag.com a month ago. Turkey's Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, I wrote, plans to undo the secular Atatürk revolution of 1923-34 and replace it with the Shari'a. I predicted the leadership of his Justice and Development Party (known by its Turkish initials, AKP) will use the democratic process only so long as this serves its purpose. It will circumscribe, or even terminate, political participation when the right moment comes. The end result, I predicted, could be an "Islamic Republic of Turkey."

In the jargon of Turkey-watchers, I made the hidden-agenda argument about Mr. Erdoğan and the AKP. The Turkish press gave my comments wide publicity, more often than not disagreeing.

Fortuitously, the Nixon Center and German Marshall Fund then invited me to join a Euro-American group for intensive discussions last week in Istanbul and Ankara with Turkish politicians, journalists, intellectuals, and business leaders. Making the trip more piquant, many of our interlocutors knew my views and quizzed me on them, then gave me quite an earful.

Their arguments left me, I must admit, less certain of Mr. Erdoğan's intentions than when I arrived.

The case for a hidden agenda starts with the fact that Erdoğan and many of his colleagues began their careers in an Islamist party explicitly seeking to undo the secular order of Turkey. They confronted what is colorfully known as the "deep state" (the military, judiciary, and bureaucracy – collectively, the keepers of Atatürk's secular legacy) and emerged the worse for it, sometimes ejected from high office or thrown into jail.

The smarter Islamists learned from this experience and made changes. Those changes, it bears emphasis, were tactical in nature (i.e., pursuing their goals more subtly and slowly), rather than strategic (accepting the secular order). This fits a known pattern of Islamist dissimulation (for another example, recall Al-Qaeda's instructions to its adepts).

Actions that confirm one's doubts about the AKP having changed goals since it came to power in late 2002 include attempts to criminalize adultery, to transform religious instruction at public schools into propaganda for Islam, and to loosen the penalties against free-lance Koranic instruction. Condemning Christianity as a polytheistic religion and purging members of the Alevi minority from the government's Religious Directorate also raise red flags.

The case against the hidden-agenda argument notes that politicians do learn from their mistakes, they mature, and they change goals. If other politicians can evolve (think of Germany's foreign minister, Joschka Fischer, or Israel's prime minister, Ariel Sharon), why not the AKP leadership? No longer hotheads seeking to overturn the system, they now work within it. Limited efforts to the contrary, the AKP has not basically challenged the secular order.

Interpreting the AKP can take on the quality of a sophisticated intellectual puzzle, with the same evidence lending itself to contrary explanations. Take the AKP's strenuous efforts to win acceptance as a full member of the European Union by bringing Turkish practices into conformity with EU standards. Does this fit the Islamist agenda by expanding the rights of religious practice and reducing the military's role in politics? Or does it fit the secular agenda by making Turkey more fully a part of Europe? Both can be argued.

Some Turks don't bother to speculate about the AKP's intentions, holding that the party cannot overturn secularism in Turkey because of several factors: secularism's entrenchment and wide popularity; the deep state's ultimate power to thwart the Islamist agenda of elected governments; and the AKP's specific limitations. On this last point, the party combines several disputing factions and it has very fast grown large; both of these suggest that it cannot serve as a disciplined instrument for the ambitious project of overturning the existing order.

In all, I now find the evidence insufficient to judge which way the AKP leadership ultimately wants to go – whether to stick permanently within the secular framework bequeathed by Atatürk or to overthrow it. Things might become clearer in 2007, assuming Mr. Erdoğan then becomes president of the republic, with all the powers that office confers.

For the moment, Turkey's secular order remains robust; I cannot help, however, but expect a major struggle over its future course.

Originally posted by winoman

by Daniel Pipes
    New York Sun
    June 7, 2005

Is Turkey going Islamist? Is it on the road to implementing Islamic law, known as the Shari'a?

I replied in the affirmative to these questions in a symposium at FrontPageMag.com a month ago. Turkey's Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, I wrote, plans to undo the secular Atatürk revolution of 1923-34 and replace it with the Shari'a. I predicted the leadership of his Justice and Development Party (known by its Turkish initials, AKP) will use the democratic process only so long as this serves its purpose. It will circumscribe, or even terminate, political participation when the right moment comes. The end result, I predicted, could be an "Islamic Republic of Turkey."

In the jargon of Turkey-watchers, I made the hidden-agenda argument about Mr. Erdoğan and the AKP. The Turkish press gave my comments wide publicity, more often than not disagreeing.

Fortuitously, the Nixon Center and German Marshall Fund then invited me to join a Euro-American group for intensive discussions last week in Istanbul and Ankara with Turkish politicians, journalists, intellectuals, and business leaders. Making the trip more piquant, many of our interlocutors knew my views and quizzed me on them, then gave me quite an earful.

Their arguments left me, I must admit, less certain of Mr. Erdoğan's intentions than when I arrived.

The case for a hidden agenda starts with the fact that Erdoğan and many of his colleagues began their careers in an Islamist party explicitly seeking to undo the secular order of Turkey. They confronted what is colorfully known as the "deep state" (the military, judiciary, and bureaucracy – collectively, the keepers of Atatürk's secular legacy) and emerged the worse for it, sometimes ejected from high office or thrown into jail.

The smarter Islamists learned from this experience and made changes. Those changes, it bears emphasis, were tactical in nature (i.e., pursuing their goals more subtly and slowly), rather than strategic (accepting the secular order). This fits a known pattern of Islamist dissimulation (for another example, recall Al-Qaeda's instructions to its adepts).

Actions that confirm one's doubts about the AKP having changed goals since it came to power in late 2002 include attempts to criminalize adultery, to transform religious instruction at public schools into propaganda for Islam, and to loosen the penalties against free-lance Koranic instruction. Condemning Christianity as a polytheistic religion and purging members of the Alevi minority from the government's Religious Directorate also raise red flags.

The case against the hidden-agenda argument notes that politicians do learn from their mistakes, they mature, and they change goals. If other politicians can evolve (think of Germany's foreign minister, Joschka Fischer, or Israel's prime minister, Ariel Sharon), why not the AKP leadership? No longer hotheads seeking to overturn the system, they now work within it. Limited efforts to the contrary, the AKP has not basically challenged the secular order.

Interpreting the AKP can take on the quality of a sophisticated intellectual puzzle, with the same evidence lending itself to contrary explanations. Take the AKP's strenuous efforts to win acceptance as a full member of the European Union by bringing Turkish practices into conformity with EU standards. Does this fit the Islamist agenda by expanding the rights of religious practice and reducing the military's role in politics? Or does it fit the secular agenda by making Turkey more fully a part of Europe? Both can be argued.

Some Turks don't bother to speculate about the AKP's intentions, holding that the party cannot overturn secularism in Turkey because of several factors: secularism's entrenchment and wide popularity; the deep state's ultimate power to thwart the Islamist agenda of elected governments; and the AKP's specific limitations. On this last point, the party combines several disputing factions and it has very fast grown large; both of these suggest that it cannot serve as a disciplined instrument for the ambitious project of overturning the existing order.

In all, I now find the evidence insufficient to judge which way the AKP leadership ultimately wants to go – whether to stick permanently within the secular framework bequeathed by Atatürk or to overthrow it. Things might become clearer in 2007, assuming Mr. Erdoğan then becomes president of the republic, with all the powers that office confers.

For the moment, Turkey's secular order remains robust; I cannot help, however, but expect a major struggle over its future course.
    Mr. Copy/Paste, don't you have any other hobby but Turkey, Turks?
    Take care with your children, go to cinema, etc.
    Try to forget Turks.

Comment

: cycle goes like this...

they make kurds public (giving them right to show themselves in political life and so) so that we Turks can find someone to hate then they put them in jail and take back all the rights they have been given...it is like giving 5 and taking back 8... for example police silently watch a group of kurds walking with the poster of this idiot apo guy (very unusual)... but that doesnt mean police and other Turks will forget it... i am sure they all took pictures of the demonstrators...

now comes the islamist idiots... they are on public now... and we know who is who... it doesnt matter if they go slow or fast... they are all marked.. they will have some rights at the first hand and they will become noisy and they will be silenced methodically... they cannot do much harm with a few koran classes only compromise themselves publicly..

thats what i think and hope... you know we really have a very deep state...

we will never be islamist state..if we happen to be one i will apply Armenian Government to accept me as a citizen... boh i hate any kind of radical religious people.. i think they have a big hole in their character...

You dont know the power of the Deep Side
      Last edited by Otto; 06-08-2005, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Yeah I hear you. But don't discount the power of the Islamisists - they understand grassroots organization and are financed by the Saudis. I could not fail to notice in a number of Turkish towns a few years back Islamic organizations giving out food and medicine and such for free...

..also the power of Islam even in urban areas such as Istanbul (where they had won the mayorship no?) is increasing more then might be imagined (for such a supposedly European/cosmopolitan city).

It is interesting that Ackam discounts this Islamic "Threat" to Turkey - though after all his critiscisms he is a patriotic Kemalist at the core. He claims that the Islamisists have in fact converted from essentially revolutionaries to ones who work within the State structure. I am inclined to use Ackams own cautions against himself to say that one must no think of all who profess to believe the same to in fact be the same or to be of the same mind...so one just does not knwo at this point.

One can confortably say however that the cracks of/in Kemalism have grown such that they can not be fixed by a slap or two of mortar...so which will it be? Which direction will your nation go - and can violence (on a large scale) be avoided...somehow I think not...shame - as no one ever wishes for such...even upon the Turks really...I can feel for those who might get caught up in this (as most Turks are alright)...though a few less genocide deniers could be a welcome thing...

Comment

when the time comes i hope every body will remember we are Turks first...secondly we are muslim..actually i am not a muslim... but most Turks are... deep state can use our dislike against arabs to secure the islam thing..i dont know whats gonna happen really... but as islamist AKP is if you happen to examine Turkey's politics there is no difference between right wing or the left wing when it comes to the main subjects.. they just try to make believe that they are working for muslims just to satisfy their voters.. and also it is a shame that they cannot change much with so many congressman( i dont know what you call them) they got 360 chairs of 550 in congress and they can do nothing much.. Kemalism is cracking but we never have a real understanding of Kemalism and i think it is just a name for us and if we loose it it wont make much difference...we will find something to fill the gap and we are nationalists more than we are religious so its gonna be nationalism coming and its gonne blow over the minorities again... i hope i made some sense...

Comment

Originally posted by winoman
            Yeah I hear you. But don't discount the power of the Islamisists - they understand grassroots organization and are financed by the Saudis. I could not fail to notice in a number of Turkish towns a few years back Islamic organizations giving out food and medicine and such for free...

..also the power of Islam even in urban areas such as Istanbul (where they had won the mayorship no?) is increasing more then might be imagined (for such a supposedly European/cosmopolitan city).

It is interesting that Ackam discounts this Islamic "Threat" to Turkey - though after all his critiscisms he is a patriotic Kemalist at the core. He claims that the Islamisists have in fact converted from essentially revolutionaries to ones who work within the State structure. I am inclined to use Ackams own cautions against himself to say that one must no think of all who profess to believe the same to in fact be the same or to be of the same mind...so one just does not knwo at this point.

One can confortably say however that the cracks of/in Kemalism have grown such that they can not be fixed by a slap or two of mortar...so which will it be? Which direction will your nation go - and can violence (on a large scale) be avoided...somehow I think not...shame - as no one ever wishes for such...even upon the Turks really...I can feel for those who might get caught up in this (as most Turks are alright)...though a few less genocide deniers could be a welcome thing...
            Do you like to feel yourself as intellecual? If so I recommend you to copy/past from serious articles, not Akcam,etc.
            Actually I recommend you to to go cinema. Have you seen star wars?

Comment

karakitap is a muslim

Comment

Well, if you are really obsessive about this Turkey issue and refuse to go to cinema instead, I may give you some references for serious readings. (btw, reading not copy/past ok?)
                You may start with Erik J. Zurcher, Bernard Lewis, Lord Kinross,Stefanos Yerasimos, etc.

Comment

Hey wini is out. Probably he is searching google and looking for some bad things about Turkey to copy/paste.

Comment

wini is cool... but copy and paste habit he has ( Yoda)

Comment

Working...
                    X