Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

The Rise of the Russian Empire: Russo-Armenian Relations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Rise of the Russian Empire: Russo-Armenian Relations

Originally posted by crusader1492 View Post
    It seem that Russia is itching for a fight with NATO through upping the tensions in Georgia. Would you agree that they are doing this in order to bring the situation to a head so that Russia can assert (and then cement) its authority in the Caucuses once and for all?
    Russia is making a dramatic come back, but it's not quite there yet. Thus, I don't believe Russia is "itching for a fight" with NATO. In my opinion, no one in Moscow wants war, let alone a war against a major superpower like the US lead NATO alliance. The fact remains, even after Putin's great afforts to improve the armed forces of Russia, as a result of the disaster of the 90s, the Russian military is still under-funded, under-equiped and, more importantly, lacks ideological drive. In any given nation, having an ideological drive is fundamentally crucial for having an effective/potent military. While the West is on a well organized/well-funded ideological crusade to rid the world of "oppressive powers" and "Islamic Terrorists", as of today Russia still lacks an ideological drive of its own. While the West has taken the political/military initiative within various geopolitical arenas across the world, as of today Russia is still on the defensive. Thus, what Russia is itching for, in my opinion, is respect and security. And what they sorely need is an ideological drive of their own. Taking into consideration the serious political situation that exists today and the West's longterm agenda against the Russian Federation, there may be a war within the greater region, however, it will be a war by regional proxies. Having said that, Moscow knows well that of all the geopolitical hot spots, the Caucasus is the place where it has the most leverage. So, Moscow may want to eventually make a lasting impression on the West via the various conflict zones found within the Caucasus.

Originally posted by Armanen View Post
    Do you guys think that if Iran is attacked by israel/america that this will be a war Russia will indirectly get involved in? Or any other powers?
    It is quite obvious that they will deffinately be involved indirectly in such a scenario. Moscow realizes that Iran getting hit has severe implications for the Russian Federation as well. No doubt, if Iran falls violently it will be felt accross the entire Eurasian continent and may be catastrophic. Simply put, Moscow, and China for that matter, can not afford to have Iran fall victim to western aggression.
    Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

By the way, the Georgians have been outright hysterical. From a geopolitical/geostrategic point of view -- what exactly is their agenda?

The declare that they want to join NATO. Why? Is it only to help threaten Russia? Moreover, I would think that they would be weighing their options. Hell, when I think about it -- even Azerbaijan's leadership shows more foresight then the idiotic Georgian elites. Apparently these guys have it in mind that NATO will come and confront the Russians.

Comment

Top Russian official goes to Iran to discus security

A top Russian official is arriving in Tehran on Sunday to discuss security, topical international and regional issues, the Supreme National Security Council of Iran said on Sunday. Valentin Sobolev, acting secretary of Russia's National Security Council, will hold talks with his Iranian counterpart, Saeed Jalili, and other Iranian officials. Sobolev will be paying a return visit to Tehran following a visit by Jalili to Moscow in December 2007, Iran's Supreme National Security Council said.

Source: http://en.rian.ru/world/20080427/106013908.html

In related news:

Russia-Iran NPP cargo seizure 'political force-majeure' - source

The decision by Azerbaijan to seize equipment en route from Russia to the Iranian Bushehr nuclear power plant nearly a month ago is a 'political force-majeure,' a source close to the issue said on Wednesday. "The unwillingness by the Azerbaijani authorities to allow through the border non-nuclear equipment, registered in a strict accordance with international freight transportation regulations, is a politically motivated decision by the republic authorities," he said. Russia's Atomstroyexport on Monday confirmed reports that Azerbaijani border officials had stopped the cargo from crossing the border with Iran several weeks ago. Russia delivered its final and eighth fuel shipment to Bushehr on January 28. Russia has supplied a total of 82 metric tons of low-enriched uranium to the light-water nuclear power plant. Iran hopes its first nuclear power plant will be launched in October. Tehran is currently under three sets of UN sanctions over its uranium enrichment program. The latest resolution saw a number of new restrictions imposed against the Islamic Republic, including inspections of goods leaving and entering Iran.

Source: http://en.rian.ru/world/20080423/105757895.html

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

“Georgia is capable to protect itself from Russia’s aggression.”

It's funny, I think they really do think they can fight off Russia.
          For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
          to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

Originally posted by Armanen View Post
            It's funny, I think they really do think they can fight off Russia.
            Yes they can with their 1960s left-over Russian armaments and their brand NEW NATO military clothing. The reality is that Russia will never give them a day to justify their future whining. This sackofshiitville versus Russia reminds me of Noriega versus the US, just an idiot seeking attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Azad View Post
              Yes they can with their 1960s left-over Russian armaments and their brand NEW NATO military clothing. The reality is that Russia will never give them a day to justify their future whining. This sackofshiitville versus Russia reminds me of Noriega versus the US, just an idiot seeking attention.
              To be objective... What choices has Moscow left Tbilisi? I mean they have more-or-less occupied Abkhazia and South Ossetia for the past fifteen years and there is no chance in hell that the territories in question will be going back to Georgia. I don't want to get into a debate over whether or not those lands are Georgian to begin with (in my opinion they are not). However, the territories were a part of the Soviet Georgian Republic and the Georgian population considers them to be a part of Georgia. Perception rules. How would we Armenians have acted if Russia occupied a portion of Armenia? As a result of these political actions/designs by Moscow against the Georgian state, we have an individual like Saakashvili in power in Georgia. Since the Georgians generally speaking fear and hate Russia, the West has found a very willing 'enthusiatic' populace for their regional agenda. This is the same with Baltic states and certain eastern European states. The West is basically using/exploiting the fear and hate of Russians that exists within the region. As far as Georgia's war fighting capability is concerned, Tbilisi simply has to talk big. They have no other choice in the matter. In some ways it's very basic human nature: It's like the little kid in the play yard who is being harassed by the big kid. The little kid starts to talk big, saying he has a tough cousin named NATO who will back him up in a fight. The little kid says this with the hopes that the big kid will get worried and walk away without hurting him. Tbilisi and the West know well that Georgia is in no shape to even take on the Abkhaz military let alone the armed forces of the Russian Federation. There is however a long term danger here for Russia. If Tbilisi continues to allow the West (NATO) unhindered access in Georgia, western war making ability (high tech military technology) may gradually begin to appear in Georgia, tipping the scale in Tbilisi's favor. Moscow simply cannot risk that. Thus, as the West gets closer to Georgia Russia will increase its pressure against Tbilisi. These matters are very complex. There are many variables and factors and no easy or clear answers.

Նժդեհ

Comment

I agree on most of what you posted Armenian. The reality for any small country to exist it has to be subservient to a larger power. What are the options for any of us Caucasus countries? We have Iran, turkey, Russia and at a distance EU. Iran is friendly, we do get along, except culturally we are too different. EU could be an option if we can prevent the unwanted migrations into Armenia & there is turkey that separates us. turkey is ... (I will keep my mouth clean for today). Russia is the only logical power to encompass most of the small countries in its sphere. It is in our advantage to have the azeris and the Georgians be where they are in regards Russia.

Comment

Originally posted by Azad View Post
                  It is in our advantage to have the azeris and the Georgians be where they are in regards Russia.
                  I don't agree on the Georgian bit.

Comment

Originally posted by skhara View Post
                    I don't agree on the Georgian bit.
                    Georgia is what "Armenia" was 800 years ago. A territory and not a country. We learned and payed dearly. It will be in Georgia's interest to self dissect its infection and focus on the rest of its Georgian body.

Comment

We all would want a good neighbor to the north, one that doesn't act like the bxxxx of nato, or work with our enemy more than us, but this will not happen in the forseeable future. georgia has a lot of social, economic and political hurdles to jump before we can even talk about a "good" neighbor to the north.
                      For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
                      to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

Working...
                      X