Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

The Rise of the Russian Empire: Russo-Armenian Relations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Rise of the Russian Empire: Russo-Armenian Relations

Analysis: Poles, Czechs fear loss of bases

By VANESSA GERA

KRAKOW, Poland (AP) — Poland and the Czech Republic enraged Russia by backing a U.S. plan to put missile bases in their countries.

Now, as the Obama administration signals a willingness to reverse course ahead of a NATO defense ministers meeting starting Thursday, those two countries are fearful of being left out on a limb with their giant neighbor nursing a grudge.

If Washington scraps the project, the decision will be seen by Eastern Europe — long under the Soviet yoke — as a major concession to Moscow and, quite possibly, a tacit acceptance of the view that Russia should have more say in its traditional sphere of influence.

"A lot of people put a stake in this project and they will feel disappointed — even betrayed" if it fails, said Andrzej Jodkowski, director of the Polish branch of the Missile Defense Advocacy Alliance, a U.S.-based group that favors the shield.

While missile defense is not on the agenda of the NATO meeting, it's certain to come up.

Polish Defense Minister Bogdan Klich said Wednesday ahead of the alliance's gathering in Krakow that he was waiting "with great interest" on what U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert Gates would have to say on the project.

"We Poles are most interested in whether the commitments the U.S. signed with us last year — the deal about a missile defense installation in Poland — will be kept," Klich said. "I hope that will happen ... and that the installation will be placed in Poland."

Missile defense already featured prominently at the Munich Security Conference earlier this month where Vice President Joe Biden repeated the Obama administration stance that the system needs to be reliable and not detract from other security priorities — an implicit signal that Washington was assessing whether or not to go through with the plan.

Russian Deputy Prime Minister Sergei Ivanov responded by reiterating Moscow's threat to deploy missiles on Poland's border if any U.S. system were deployed, but also touted his country's counterproposal to work with the U.S. on a joint defense network of their own.

Despite American assurances that the bases wouldn't target Russia, Moscow sees U.S. military installations so close to its borders as a threat.

And it's clear that Poland and the Czech Republic themselves see the bases as insurance against future Russian aggression. Both countries were Soviet satellite states that developed into enthusiastic pro-Western democracies in the 20 years since the end of the Cold War.

But 45 years of being under Moscow's sway is hard to forget — especially with Russia showing renewed combativeness with a gas cutoff to Europe and its rapid deployment of troops, guns and tanks during a conflict last summer with Georgia.

Mindful of Russia's growing assertiveness, Poland and the Czech Republic have nurtured a friendship with the U.S. — the great hope during decades of communism — and curried favor and support by participating in the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, despite the unpopularity of the latter across the continent.

Former President George W. Bush sealed deals in 2008 with Warsaw and Prague that would see 10 missile defense interceptors placed in northern Poland by 2012, with a linked radar base near Prague.

Polish Foreign Minister Radek Sikorski said last week that Poland still stands ready to accept the site, but acknowledged the growing uncertainty of the project's fate. He said that even if it falls through, Poland won't let the Americans back away from their pledge of closer military cooperation.

Andrew Kuchins, director of the Russia and Eurasia program at the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington, said it would be unlikely for the U.S. to leave Warsaw and Prague completely in the cold.

Based on talks with members of the new administration and an analysis of its public statements, Kuchins said he expects that even if the U.S. delays or scraps the plan, it would take steps to ensure that Prague and Warsaw "save face."

Such steps could include following through on promises the U.S. made in exchange for the two countries accepting the planned sites. The U.S. pledged greater scientific exchange with the Czech Republic, and agreed to help modernize the Polish military and beef up its security with a Patriot missile battery.

"I would be surprised if the Obama administration simply walked away from the agreements reached in the past year with Poland and the Czech Republic," Kuchins said. "In international relations, credibility and trust are important."

Vanessa Gera has covered eastern Europe since 2001.

Comment

Interesting points jgk3. Thanks for taking the time and putting the effort in writing a lenghty article

Originally posted by jgk3 View Post
      If Russia were a nation that had a highly advanced, diversified economic infrastructure that actually did provide opportunities for the individuals to find work in competitively advantaged industries who not only produce demanded goods and services but generate capital, hard wealth as a foundation for their society to build on, then I would agree that there is this umbrela of hope for them.

However, if the government's sole aim is to weather the storm through the trading of natural resources internationally without necessarily greating real job opportunities for its population, and instead choosing to incorporate all revenues into its state budget for redistribution through social benefit programs, questions arise...

What exactly are they going to do for the Russian people with their budget? Are they going to at least use these revenues to generate non-nationalized industries that are safe regarding Russia's national security, that could not only produce goods and services genuinely demanded by consumers both domestic and abroad, but also provide job security for the Russia's 140 million inhabitants?

If they already do not pursue this, as they need to allocate their revenues into such expensive but extremely necessary programs like modernizing their military or expanding their nationalized gas and oil industries to maintain competitive advantage in what is practically an oil war on the international scene, what makes you think that in times where Russia will be financially on its back, depending on reserves in order to balance their budget to pursue the above, crucial projects for their survival, will they be able to provide what is necessary as an economic system to protect the security of their domestic population, and thus, its blessings towards the endeavors their government is taking on?

I feel that Russia knows it cannot create an actual umbrella for its population as it never has tried to in ways beyond keeping foreign interests off of their resources, which in itself can only be seen as subjectively beneficial to the people based on their political attitudes and not on their judgements towards the actual economic conditions they live in (though negative experience in the latter will most certainly affect their view of their government). And so, they have shown and will continue to show that they are more than ready to become a police state, which ignores the cries of the people even if they arise from actual signs of economic sickness for their nation.

As such, the government would enforce a policy that refuses to address the genuine lack of infrastructure and diversity of its economy, and thus becomes at odds with its very own population.
      Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but I am getting the impression that you are thinking of Russia as some kind of Saudi Arabia who's wealth and economy is primarily dependent on oil exports and the price of oil.
      That is so far from the truth, Russia's economy is far more diversified than you think it is (maybe you should take a trip there to see). As a matter of fact, oil and gas only contribute to 5.7% of Russia's GDP.

Yes, oil, natural gas, metals, and timber account for more than 80% of Russian exports. But these constitute only a small fraction (5.7%) of their economy.

As for what measures they are taking to weather the economic crisis and how well they will work...we can all speculate here as much as we want. It is too early to pass judgement.
      We all hope for the best.

This is a dangerous situation to be in, especially considering the upcoming storm. I do hope the best for Russia, and though I am impressed with their feats with Gazprom and with the goals they have set in modernizing their military, I fear it is not enough to shield them from the onslaught perpetrated by the Western elite who control a fire that could ignite the entire world. I feel they are using these artificially generated conditions not only out of greed towards the populations they govern directly, but as an economic, strategically induced weather condition that will hammer Russia where it hurts perhaps the most, it's domestic economic health.

They know that they cannot cut off the head to kill the body with Putin around, so they've going after the body again by instantiating a globalized threat that Russia could do nothing to exempt itself from. You can win a fight in a battlefield, or through oil routes, but what do you do when your opponent has decided to poison the very air the populations of the world need to breathe and to face you off based on how well you can recuperate from this poisoning, knowing you will get more poisoned by it and are counting on your grander strategies which ensure your survival, to at some point, crack and fail.

They think they have the edge here and Putin has yet to prove them otherwise. I do hope he can, but I will not cover my eyes and hope, I will watch the whole dramatic scenario unfold from beginning to end.
      I think you are giving too much credit to the "Western elite"...as if they are some kind of Gods (from the Greek mythology) controlling people and nations. Regardless whether they are people or a system: they are not Gods, they are not infallible, they can be wrong, and their plans do not always succeed...they can also backfire and blow up against their face.

But for a moment, let us assume that it is indeed this "Anglo-American elite" that has started this economic crisis with the aim of weakening Russia and/or China: what have they achieved so far?

-They screwed up the average American citizen more than anybody else in the world. A sizable chunk of the US population is in negative equity situation (Canadians, Europeans, Russians, Chinese are faring somewhat better). And I am not yet talking about US industry (Car manufacturers, Banks etc.)...

-Some countries are already bankrupt or on the verge of bankrupcy (Iceland, Ukraine, Hungary, Latvia...) most are ruled by pro-"Western elite" governments (puppets).

-The Russians that lost the most so far are no other than the oligarchs (Abramovich, Deripaska etc.) who lost the lion's share of the wealth they had accumulated during and after the demise of the SU. As we all know most of these oligarch are of x-ish decent...

And I can go on and on.

This Machiavelic plan (if there is such a plan at all) of the West has so far caused mainly self mutilation.
      Russia is hurt too and no doubt will be hurt further...but not to the same extent as the US and Europe.

If indeed such a malicious plan with long term diabolic goals has been put in action, I wish it fails sooner rather than later with the minimum damage caused to everyone.

I do see some strategies coming out of Putin however... endorsing the Russian Orthodox Church. Cynics call such religious institutions as an "opium" for the people, however, in my eyes, I think that though it is in the interests of the state to keep Russians optimistic through religion, and if they Russian people succeed through these difficult times, they will be able to reap the benefits in the future as survivors of this Western onslaught to finally seize their nation's resources and put them back under their own globalistic/neo-mercantilistic orbit. I consider my attitude to this as recognizing the good out of a far from ideal form of leadership out of a nation as I do not agree the civilization today has been reduced to men living solely based on economic considerations. I could only wish that a truly spiritual consciousness will arise in Russians as this transcends the economic threats and demotivation thrown at them by the modern West. I will be considering the statistics on alcoholism as indicative of any such spiritual and disciplinary improvements.
      I share your views and strongly agree with these points.
      Would like to add the following: I know many Russian and I speak a little bit of Russian (learned it by myself). They remember too well the dark 90's, the privatizations, the promises (lies) of the West an NATO etc.etc. The Georgia war is also a recent memory. They have voted for Putin/Medvedev not because of the improving economy and living standard, but because of pride, patriotism etc. Russians went back to basics and looked at their history, heritage, culture...all these meant much more than living standards and consumerism. And yes, they are also embracing back religion, they call themselves ORTHODOX Christians.

Finally, just to illustrate your post further. While fighting Chechen radicals or pushing back Georgian troops, the often heard battcry of young Russian soldiers was: HRISTOS VASKRYES (Christ has risen).
      Last edited by ZORAVAR; 02-20-2009, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Sukhoi confirms Su-35 deliveries to Russian Air Force in 2011

MOSCOW, February 19 (RIA Novosti) - Russia's Sukhoi aircraft maker confirmed on Thursday that the advanced Su-35 Flanker multi-role fighter would enter service with the Russian Air Force in 2011.

"The current progress of the Su-35 testing program confirms the earlier announced timeframe for the deliveries of the aircraft to Russian and foreign customers in 2011," the company said in a statement.

The first two Su-35 prototypes have successfully conducted 87 flights since July 2008, demonstrating the aircraft's superior technical and combat characteristics. (Russia's Su-35 fighter makes first demonstration flight - Image Gallery)

Sukhoi is planning to add a Russia's Su-35 fighter to the testing program in 2009, and boost the current number of test flights to 150-160.

The Su-35 fighter, powered by two 117S engines with thrust vectoring, combines high maneuverability and the capability to effectively engage several air targets simultaneously using both guided and unguided missiles and weapon systems.

The aircraft features the new Irbis-E radar with a phased antenna array, which allows the pilot to detect and track up to 30 air targets, while simultaneously engaging up to eight targets.

It is equipped with a 30-mm cannon with 150 rounds and can carry up to eight tons of combat payload on 12 external mounts. (VIDEO)

The company earlier said it planned to produce the new aircraft, billed as "4++ generation using fifth-generation technology," over a period of 10 years up to 2020.

The company is expecting to export at least 160 Su-35 fighters in the future to a number of countries, including India, Malaysia and Algeria.

Russia's Sukhoi aircraft maker confirmed on Thursday that the advanced Su-35 Flanker multi-role fighter would enter service with the Russian Air Force in 2011.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        The head of Sukhoi is no other than Mikhail POGOSYAN. He has beem recently appointed as chairman of the UAC which also owns MiG.

ZORAVAR

Comment

Closure of Kyrgyz base is not only a blow to US war in Afghanistan, but also a retreat in front of a resurgent Russia which is reasserting itself in the area.

ZORAVAR
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kyrgyz parliament votes to close U.S. airbase

BISHKEK, February 19 (RIA Novosti) - Kyrgyzstan's parliament voted overwhelmingly on Thursday to approve a presidential proposal to close a U.S. airbase used to support NATO operations in nearby Afghanistan since 2001.

The move to close the base was supported by 78 lawmakers, with one against. The pro-presidential Ak Zhol party has 70 seats in the single-chamber, 90-member legislature.

President Kurmanbek Bakiyev announced plans to close the only U.S.base in Central Asia after talks in Moscow in early February, when he secured more than $2 billion in aid and loans.

Both Russia and Kyrgyzstan have denied any link between the aid deal and the closure of the base, located a short distance from the capital, Bishkek.

Bakiyev said Washington had refused to pay more for the base. He also linked the move to the conduct of U.S. military personnel, including the killing of a Kyrgyz national by a U.S. soldier in December 2006.

Kabai Karabekov, the head of the parliament's foreign affairs committee, said that the closure of the base would not mean that Kyrgyzstan was declining to fight terrorism anymore.

"All interested countries should probably change their attitude toward the Afghan problem. As time has shown, a military doctrine for restoring order in Afghanistan does not work. The U.S. military contingent has been in this country for eight years and the situation is only worsening," the lawmaker said.

"There are many other ways to resolve the conflict in Afghanistan, but it is impossible to force Afghanistan at gunpoint to live in line with Western standards," he added.

The vote to close the base comes as U.S. President Barack Obama announced he would send an additional 17,000 soldiers to Afghanistan to fight Taliban and Al-Qaeda fighters. The move will increase the U.S. contingent to more than 50,000 personnel.

Russia, which has an airbase in Kant, a short distance from the Manas base, recently said it was ready to broaden cooperation with Washington on non-military supplies to Afghanistan via the so called "northern corridor," which is likely to cross Russia into Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan before entering northern Afghanistan.

The base closure bill is still to be signed by the president. Once Bakiyev does this, the Kyrgyz government will notify the United States, giving it 180 days to withdraw some 1,200 personnel, aircraft and other equipment.

There is as yet no information on when Bakiyev will sign the bill into law.

Kyrgyzstan's parliament voted overwhelmingly on Thursday to approve a presidential proposal to close a U.S. airbase used to support NATO operations in nearby Afghanistan since 2001.

Comment

Furthermore....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Train to cross Russia with U.S. cargo for Afghanistan leaves Riga

RIGA (Latvia), February 19 (RIA Novosti) - A train carrying non-lethal supplies for the U.S. military in Afghanistan has left a cargo terminal at the Latvian port of Riga for transit through Russia, a source in the port administration said on Thursday.

"The train has left the Riga port heading for transit to Afghanistan through Russian territory," the source said.

The Russian Foreign Ministry said on Monday that a consignment of U.S. non-military cargos was being prepared in the Latvian capital of Riga for transit to Afghanistan via Russia, and would soon be dispatched.

Russia and NATO signed a framework agreement on the transit of non-military cargos in April 2008, and a subsequent Russia-U.S. deal was signed in January.

Due to worsening security on the main land route from Pakistan and the expected closure of a U.S. airbase in Kyrgyzstan, NATO has to rely on alternative routes to supply the U.S.-dominated International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in Afghanistan.

There are over 60,000 foreign troops in Afghanistan, more than half of them from the United States, and President Barack Obama has recently ordered another 17,000 U.S. soldiers to the war-ravaged country.

Despite the recent deterioration in relations with NATO, Russia has continued to support the military alliance's operations in Afghanistan, fearing the worsening security situation and the steadily growing opium production in the country.

Several NATO nations, including France, Germany and Canada, already transport so-called non-lethal supplies to their contingents in Afghanistan via Russia under bilateral agreements.

The "northern corridor" for U.S. transshipments through Russia would likely cross into Kazakhstan and then Uzbekistan before entering northern Afghanistan.

U.S. officials earlier said 20 to 30 trainloads a week could go from Latvia to Afghanistan if the route is a success.

A train carrying non-lethal supplies for the U.S. military in Afghanistan has left a cargo terminal at the Latvian port of Riga for transit through Russia, a source in the port administration said on Thursday.

Comment

Kazakhstan to equip 10 battalions with S-300 air defense systems

ASTANA, February 19 (RIA Novosti) - Kazakhstan plans to equip 10 battalions with S-300 air defense missile systems bought from Russia, with deliveries to begin in 2009, a senior military official said on Thursday.

"We are considering the acquisition of 10 S-300 battalions from Russia in 2009," said Amanzhol Ospanov, head of the Kazakh Defense Ministry's weapons and materiel department.

The official added that each battalion "would comprise four launchers and support equipment," which could include a mobile command post and a target-designation radar.

Although Ospanov was not specific about a particular version of the S-300, he said that these systems had previously been in service with the Russian Armed Forces and would be delivered to Kazakhstan after being overhauled.

The latest version of the S-300 family is the S-300PMU2 Favorit, which has a range of up to 195 kilometers (about 120 miles) and can intercept aircraft and ballistic missiles at altitudes from 10 meters to 27 kilometers.

It is considered one of the world's most effective all-altitude regional air defense systems, comparable in performance to the U.S. MIM-104 Patriot system.

Ospanov said Kazakhstan has no plans of buying Russia's most advanced S-400 Triumph air defense systems in the near future "because of their high price."

Russia announced last year it was planning to expand military-technical cooperation with members of the Collective Security Treaty Organization (CSTO) and set up an integrated air defense network with them.

The CSTO is a post-Soviet security grouping comprising Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Uzbekistan and Tajikistan.

Kazakh Defense Minister Danial Akhmetov said on February 12 that the delivery of S-300 systems "would help the republic's integration into the CSTO and significantly enhance the protection of the country's airspace."

Kazakhstan plans to equip 10 battalions with S-300 air defense missile systems bought from Russia, with deliveries to begin in 2009, a senior military official said on Thursday.

Comment

Not all economic news are bad.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Russia's international reserves up $3.1 bln to $386.6 bln over week

MOSCOW, February 19 (RIA Novosti) - Russia's gold and foreign currency reserves increased by $3.1 billion to $386.6 billion in the week of February 6 - February 13, the Central Bank said on Thursday.

Russia's international reserves dropped by $4.6 billion to $383.5 billion in the week of January 30 - February 6.

MOSCOW, February 19 (RIA Novosti) - Russia's gold and foreign currency reserves increased by $3.1 billion to $386.6 billion in the week of February 6 - February 13, the Central Bank said on Thursday. Russia's international reserves dropped...

Dollar down 33.57 kopeks, euro down 53.19 kopeks - Central Bank

MOSCOW, February 19 (RIA Novosti) - The official dollar rate set by the Russian Central Bank for February 20 is 36.0910 rubles, down 33.57 kopeks from Thursday, the Central Bank said.

The official euro rate for Friday is 45.4422 rubles, down 53.19 kopeks from Thursday.

MOSCOW, February 19 (RIA Novosti) - The official dollar rate set by the Russian Central Bank for February 20 is 36.0910 rubles, down 33.57 kopeks from Thursday, the Central Bank said. The official euro rate for Friday is 45.4422 rubles...

Statistics: Russia’s trade surplus up 37.3% on year in 2008

Russian stock market up 4.58% (February 19)

Comment

Russia's economy is far more diversified than you think it is (maybe you should take a trip there to see).
                  Yeh i been there a couple times it is pretty sweet. Moscow is so huge and you fill find all kinds of people there doing all kinds of business. Russia is pretty diverse in its culture, population, economy and resources. I wanted to travel to st petersburg last time but it didn't workout for me. I miss Russia (espesialy the women) but i miss Armenia even more.
                  Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Thank you for your encouragement Anon and Zoravar, I don't engage in these discussions often, at least not very deeply, so I'm trying my hand here. Now I'll address Zoravar's response:

Originally posted by ZORAVAR View Post
                    Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but I am getting the impression that you are thinking of Russia as some kind of Saudi Arabia who's wealth and economy is primarily dependent on oil exports and the price of oil.
                    That is so far from the truth, Russia's economy is far more diversified than you think it is (maybe you should take a trip there to see). As a matter of fact, oil and gas only contribute to 5.7% of Russia's GDP.

Yes, oil, natural gas, metals, and timber account for more than 80% of Russian exports. But these constitute only a small fraction (5.7%) of their economy.

As for what measures they are taking to weather the economic crisis and how well they will work...we can all speculate here as much as we want. It is too early to pass judgement.
                    We all hope for the best.
                    I'm under the assumption though that the revenues from the oil industry in particular is what enables Russia to partake in funding its vast military modernization program. Russia operates like a business in this sense, drawing revenues directly from its lucrative nationalized industries. They have created their reserves this way. The question is, how will they be using their reserves during the black years to come? To infuse into their economy or to continue funding their much necessary military projects or both? I am not worried about how they will spend for their military, I'm concerned with how they will spend for their domestic economy. Will they be making socialized programs, keeping jobs alive that have no proportionate demand to give them any real capital producing aspect to exist? Or will they be spending it on modernizing their much backwards, soviet-era (and sometimes even Stalin era) level infrustructure for their local industries which supposedly account for the 90% of the GDP suggested by your statistics, for example their iron smelting factories in places like Magnitogorsk so that they can produce at a competitive level in the longrun, whilst creating more jobs for Russians?

I think you are giving too much credit to the "Western elite"...as if they are some kind of Gods (from the Greek mythology) controlling people and nations. Regardless whether they are people or a system: they are not Gods, they are not infallible, they can be wrong, and their plans do not always succeed...they can also backfire and blow up against their face.
                    You're right, they are very fallible, however I am not counting on the fallibility of Russia's opposition, that is dangerous thinking. Also, on a less serious note, concerning your association with the Greek Gods, it is not the humans which were considered fallible, but the Gods who were almighty. You can recount several instances of this in Greek mythology :P

But for a moment, let us assume that it is indeed this "Anglo-American elite" that has started this economic crisis with the aim of weakening Russia and/or China: what have they achieved so far?

-They screwed up the average American citizen more than anybody else in the world. A sizable chunk of the US population is in negative equity situation (Canadians, Europeans, Russians, Chinese are faring somewhat better). And I am not yet talking about US industry (Car manufacturers, Banks etc.)...

-Some countries are already bankrupt or on the verge of bankrupcy (Iceland, Ukraine, Hungary, Latvia...) most are ruled by pro-"Western elite" governments (puppets).

-The Russians that lost the most so far are no other than the oligarchs (Abramovich, Deripaska etc.) who lost the lion's share of the wealth they had accumulated during and after the demise of the SU. As we all know most of these oligarch are of xxxish decent...

And I can go on and on.

This Machiavelic plan (if there is such a plan at all) of the West has so far caused mainly self mutilation.
                    Russia is hurt too and no doubt will be hurt further...but not to the same extent as the US and Europe.

If indeed such a malicious plan with long term diabolic goals has been put in action, I wish it fails sooner rather than later with the minimum damage caused to everyone.
                    I understand what you're trying to say. I'm still somewhat skeptical about Russia being at a comparative advantage in this crisis, even if they are slower hit. They managed their decisive victory in Georgia at a time when they were still in their boom periods, greatly enhancing their national security in the process. Now, can they keep it, and can they have the power to embark on similar necessary feats should they arise in the future? So far they are doing quite well on neutralizing potential Georgias around their borders, except perhaps in Eastern Europe, where tensions are very real and alive. I need to see the outcome of this in the next few years before I'm convinced that Russia can really hold its own despite the global financial threat going on.

Would like to add the following: I know many Russian and I speak a little bit of Russian (learned it by myself). They remember too well the dark 90's, the privatizations, the promises (lies) of the West an NATO etc.etc. The Georgia war is also a recent memory. They have voted for Putin/Medvedev not because of the improving economy and living standard, but because of a nu
                    Even though you cut off here in your post at the end, I guess I understand what the remainder would've been. Yes, Russians who do truly care about protecting their nation from outside threat will continue to vote for Putin and Medvedev, for good reason. I guess I have to see for myself if this sentiment is shared by most Russians throughout their vast nation, or if it's namely in certain population centers/regions. I guess at the moment I will have to take your word for it and that of others who know Russians in Russia, and not so much that of RT or BBC.

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3 View Post
                      Even though you cut off here in your post at the end, I guess I understand what the remainder would've been. Yes, Russians who do truly care about protecting their nation from outside threat will continue to vote for Putin and Medvedev, for good reason. I guess I have to see for myself if this sentiment is shared by most Russians throughout their vast nation, or if it's namely in certain population centers/regions. I guess at the moment I will have to take your word for it and that of others who know Russians in Russia, and not so much that of RT or BBC.
                      Sorry jgk3, somehow the text I wrote got deleted while I was editing it.

ANyways, this was your post below:

I do see some strategies coming out of Putin however... endorsing the Russian Orthodox Church. Cynics call such religious institutions as an "opium" for the people, however, in my eyes, I think that though it is in the interests of the state to keep Russians optimistic through religion, and if they Russian people succeed through these difficult times, they will be able to reap the benefits in the future as survivors of this Western onslaught to finally seize their nation's resources and put them back under their own globalistic/neo-mercantilistic orbit. I consider my attitude to this as recognizing the good out of a far from ideal form of leadership out of a nation as I do not agree the civilization today has been reduced to men living solely based on economic considerations. I could only wish that a truly spiritual consciousness will arise in Russians as this transcends the economic threats and demotivation thrown at them by the modern West. I will be considering the statistics on alcoholism as indicative of any such spiritual and disciplinary improvements.
                      And this was my reply before part of the text got lost somehow:

Would like to add the following: I know many Russian and I speak a little bit of Russian (learned it by myself). They remember too well the dark 90's, the privatizations, the promises (lies) of the West an NATO etc.etc. The Georgia war is also a recent memory. They have voted for Putin/Medvedev not because of the improving economy and living standard, but because of pride, patriotism etc. Russians went back to basics and looked at their history, heritage, culture...all these meant much more than living standards and consumerism. And yes, they are also embracing back religion, they call themselves ORTHODOX Christians.

Finally, just to illustrate your post further. While fighting Chechen radicals or pushing back Georgian troops, the often heard battcry of young Russian soldiers was: HRISTOS VASKRYES (Christ has risen).

ZORAVAR
                      Last edited by ZORAVAR; 02-20-2009, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X