Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenian-Turkish Relations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Armenian-Turkish Relations

Originally posted by KarotheGreat View Post
    Let's hope you are right and I am very very wrong, but I have this felling in my gut that nothing good will come of this.
    I'm wary of this development because usually when the Turks do something seemingly decent, normal and magnanimous, there are huge strings attached. They'll use this solely as a public relations device, they are doing something that should have been normally done 18 years ago and they'll expect congratulations for it, you know, for doing something routine and normal and the US and EU will oblige them.
    General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

I think the fact that kharabagh is not mentioned in this agreement is a huge win for the Armenian side and is being overlooked by those crying doom n gloom on our side.
      Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Needless to say this agreements going to be hard sell for both the Armenian and Turkish ruling goverments. It will be especially tough balancing all the weight of expectations from public opinion let alone all the competing interests from vested parties like Russia, Azerbaijan, US, EU, diaspora etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
          I think the fact that kharabagh is not mentioned in this agreement is a huge win for the Armenian side and is being overlooked by those crying doom n gloom on our side.
          The Turkish Foreign Minister has already retreated. "Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said, however, that opening the border was out of the question for now. "A longer process is required for that," he was quoted by Turkey's NTV television station as saying Monday."

They are trying to tie the border to the an Azeri-Armenian agreement.
          General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph View Post
            The Turkish Foreign Minister has already retreated. "Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said, however, that opening the border was out of the question for now. "A longer process is required for that," he was quoted by Turkey's NTV television station as saying Monday."

They are trying to tie the border to the an Azeri-Armenian agreement.
            That could just be a bit of political manoeuvring to buy some time to minimize the fallout with Azerbaijan I think. The agreement will definitely be a political hot potato that will require time to digest before being fully implemented. Quite astonishly however, some Armenians are already calling for the head of President Sargsyan and FM Edward Nalbandian, it will no different for their Turkish counterparts.

Comment

Originally posted by Jos View Post
              That could just be a bit of political manoeuvring to buy some time to minimize the fallout with Azerbaijan I think. The agreement will definitely be a political hot potato that will require time to digest before being fully implemented. Quite astonishly however, some Armenians are already calling for the head of President Sargsyan and FM Edward Nalbandian, it will no different for their Turkish counterparts.
              Indeed. Everyone I know is calling for their heads. I think Sargisian and Nalbandian will go down as they probably should and it is going to happen quite soon. Armenians rightly fear that they will sell out the Armenians in Artsakh. They are have been repeatedly outmanouvered by Turkey, US and Israel. Establishing diplomatic relations is one thing, but acquiescing to the Turks in Azerbaijan is anathema. The Turkish fight is about pride while for Armenia it is survival.

Comment

This document as is, is a win for Armenia. wether it is accepted by the turcks or not is another question, but if it is not then we are back to square one again. Both sides have to play to domestic public opinions. I am not saying this is a fair document at all but it is the best we could have realisticly hoped for i think.
                Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph View Post
                  Indeed. Everyone I know is calling for their heads. I think Sargisian and Nalbandian will go down as they probably should and it is going to happen quite soon. Armenians rightly fear that they will sell out the Armenians in Artsakh. They are have been repeatedly outmanouvered by Turkey, US and Israel. Establishing diplomatic relations is one thing, but acquiescing to the Turks in Azerbaijan is anathema. The Turkish fight is about pride while for Armenia it is survival.
                  Yes Josef but are you suggesting the document will negatively impact Armenian's survival? I don't see how.

If anything, hopefully it should improve and facilitate the security, trade and transport concerns of Armenia. Nowhere can I see the demand to withdraw from Karabagh or acquiescing on genocide recogntion. Perhaps a bit optimistic but the part of implementing a dialogue on the historical dimension might even allow Turkish politicians an avenue for formal genocide recognition without committing electoral suicide.

Comment

Turkey refuses to open Armenian border now: Davutoglu
                    10:06 / 09/01/2009

Commenting on the Aug. 31 statement on a “start of internal political consultations” made under Swiss mediation, Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said that opening of the border with Armenia is out of question for Turkey now.

“Turkey aims to keep best relations with its neighbors and establish stability and peace in the Caucasus,” Davudoglu told NTV, Monday. He also pointed out that: “A longer process is required for that.”

Turkish Foreign Minister assured that Ankara would “guard” Azerbaijan’s interests at every step of normalization of relations with Armenia.

Ankara has closed Armenian Border in 1993. Turkey is imposing a number of conditions for normalization of Armenia-Turkey relations. Among them are Armenia’s reversal of its policy on international recognition of Armenian Genocide, and unilateral concessions in Karabakh issue resolution.

As NEWS.am informed earlier, late on August 31, the Swiss Federal Department of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Ministries of Armenia and Turkey issued a press releases which says: “The Republic of Armenia and the Republic of Turkey have agreed to start their internal political consultations on two protocols – the ‘Protocol on the establishment of diplomatic relations’ and the ‘Protocol on the development of bilateral relations’ – which have been initiated in the course of their efforts under Swiss mediation.

The two Protocols provide for a framework for the normalization of their bilateral relations within a reasonable timeframe. The political consultations will be completed within six weeks, following which the two Protocols will be signed and submitted to the respective Parliaments for the ratification on each side. Both sides will make their best efforts for the timely progression of the ratification in line with their constitutional and legal procedures.

The normalization of bilateral relations will contribute to the regional peace and stability. The Republic of Armenia and the Republic of Turkey are committed are pursuing their joint efforts with the assistance of Switzerland,” the document reads.

Comment

I disagree with any idea that credits Turkey outmaneuvering Armenia. Turkey is just doing what they are told ( and so is Armenia) by the unified west (including Russia).Since this (Turkish) government is a true opposition, they are entrusted with confidence by their superiors (west)
                      "All truth passes through three stages:
                      First, it is ridiculed;
                      Second, it is violently opposed; and
                      Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Comment

Working...
                      X