Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Elections in Armenia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Elections in Armenia

The GMO issue is a very interesting one because it brings togather unrelated issues like science, business, ethics. Scientificaly speaking we really do need to find ways to make food more efficient if we are to feed the growing populations of our planet. It is argued that the reason why we are able to feed the present day population is because of GMO foods which can grow in dry condition, resist disease, resist pests.. Some argue that to feed the growing population of tomorow we will need further developments in GMO inorder to avert starvation in the future. Now for the Business side of it. GMO=Monsento. Monsento has a monopoly on GMO and it is a business thus it is motivated by profits. It is a monopoly thus it has no incentive to improve the product it sells(people do not have a choice in buying GMO from another source). The research Monsento is motivated in conducting is on making their seeds able to grow in places other seeds cannot or to produce more yield then regular crops so it can sell more seeds. Monsento has no insentives to conduct much research on the safety of its products since this costs it extra money and time, brings no extra profits, and could turn up information rendering its products unmarketable. Monsento is huge business thus it can afford powerful lobbying interest groups to further its goals of increasing profits even if this action is against the good of the people and the nation or even the world. Ethics is a bit more complicated then one may think regarding this issue. Sure it is unethical to sell food that is unsafe to the public. Yes it is unethical to sue farmers because the GMO stuff got into their crop via wind or animals. Yes it is unethical to maintain a monopoly on our food because it causes huge inefficiancy. It is also unethical to let people starve when only GMO can feed them. There is not enough fertile land to support the growing population of humans even if modern farming techniques are used. Without GMO much of the Chinese and Indians and others would be starving now. Without GMO the future looks very dark as far as world food security goes. For humanity GMO is not a question of should we or shouldnt we use it, because we will starve without it. The question is how do we make it safe and efficiant. The answer to this is pretty easy but not so easy to impliment. It is easy because by simply converting the market structure from a monopoly to perfect competition or even monopolistic competion will solve all the issues we have with GMO foods. It is the nature of the monopoly market structure that is behind the bad things we know regarding GMO. This easy answer is not so easy to impliment because Monsento is able to take advantage of the corrupt political system in the USA and maintain its monopoly. Perfect competition and monopolistic competition are subject to market forces that will drive them to improve the safety of GMO foods while monopoly has no such insentive. I know this is off topic but i think this is an important issue and perhaps a new thread on GMO should be started.
    Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
      The GMO issue is a very interesting one because it brings togather unrelated issues like science, business, ethics. Scientificaly speaking we really do need to find ways to make food more efficient if we are to feed the growing populations of our planet. It is argued that the reason why we are able to feed the present day population is because of GMO foods which can grow in dry condition, resist disease, resist pests.. Some argue that to feed the growing population of tomorow we will need further developments in GMO inorder to avert starvation in the future. Now for the Business side of it. GMO=Monsento. Monsento has a monopoly on GMO and it is a business thus it is motivated by profits. It is a monopoly thus it has no incentive to improve the product it sells(people do not have a choice in buying GMO from another source). The research Monsento is motivated in conducting is on making their seeds able to grow in places other seeds cannot or to produce more yield then regular crops so it can sell more seeds. Monsento has no insentives to conduct much research on the safety of its products since this costs it extra money and time, brings no extra profits, and could turn up information rendering its products unmarketable. Monsento is huge business thus it can afford powerful lobbying interest groups to further its goals of increasing profits even if this action is against the good of the people and the nation or even the world. Ethics is a bit more complicated then one may think regarding this issue. Sure it is unethical to sell food that is unsafe to the public. Yes it is unethical to sue farmers because the GMO stuff got into their crop via wind or animals. Yes it is unethical to maintain a monopoly on our food because it causes huge inefficiancy. It is also unethical to let people starve when only GMO can feed them. There is not enough fertile land to support the growing population of humans even if modern farming techniques are used. Without GMO much of the Chinese and Indians and others would be starving now. Without GMO the future looks very dark as far as world food security goes. For humanity GMO is not a question of should we or shouldnt we use it, because we will starve without it. The question is how do we make it safe and efficiant. The answer to this is pretty easy but not so easy to impliment. It is easy because by simply converting the market structure from a monopoly to perfect competition or even monopolistic competion will solve all the issues we have with GMO foods. It is the nature of the monopoly market structure that is behind the bad things we know regarding GMO. This easy answer is not so easy to impliment because Monsento is able to take advantage of the corrupt political system in the USA and maintain its monopoly. Perfect competition and monopolistic competition are subject to market forces that will drive them to improve the safety of GMO foods while monopoly has no such insentive. I know this is off topic but i think this is an important issue and perhaps a new thread on GMO should be started.
      Interesting observations Haykakan. I would argue against some of the statements you made about GMOs and the perceived inadequacies of natural/traditional seeds and farming (I believe that scientific claims vary depending on who's funding the scientist), but like you said that is a topic for a different thread.

I merely wanted to highlight two things regarding Armenian politics with the GMO post. Firstly that despite the doom-and-gloom status the foreign-funded "opposition" media always ascribes to Armenia and despite the fact that they try to label the Armenian government as "corrupt and incompetent", the Armenian government is succeeding where the western governments which criticize Armenia have failed miserably. (I'd find it amusing if the Armenian government founded and funded an entity called americanow or radio free america in Washington, D.C. and it produced sensationalized reports on this institutionalized corruption/oligarchy in the USA and tried to incite civilians to protest and riot.)

Secondly, I wanted to reiterate the fact that even Armenia's best-intentioned "reformers" and "activists" who may only have noble goals such as stopping pollution, preventing deforestation, weeding out corruption and waste, battling non-combat deaths in the Armenian military, are in the end mainly used as tools of pressure on Yerevan by foreign governments. Not a single opposition media source mentioned Armenia banning GMOs, and not a single organization in the Diaspora or Armenia commented on the issue or offered the Armenian government praise or support in any way, shape or form. This serves to remind us all that we need to question whether not-so-nice hidden forces are trying to use or encourage any activism we may take part in to advance their own interests. As they say "beware of Greeks bearing gifts" (or foreign governments bearing funding, support and media coverage to your activism) because you never know when it's a Trojan horse.

I know many members of this forum are above intelligent and they follow issues like these, but a majority of the people are probably clueless, which is sad because food security is essential to the long term survival of the Armenian state, a true strategic priority on par with maintaining demographics. They just parrot "Երկիրը երկիր չէ" (basically meaning Armenia isn't a real country). The article Collective Destructionism does an excellent job covering this sad reality http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/...-armenias.html
      Last edited by Sarkis86; 02-01-2013, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Hayrikian blaming Russia... lol.

Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Yeh right Russia wants to assasinate a guy who cant get 1% of the vote LOL. I agree with everything you say in this post Sarkis but you must keep in mind that even todays levelof human population is unnatural and cannot be sustained with traditional methods. The human population will continue to skyrocket thus we need now and will need later new technological and scientific breakthroughs to feed people. GMO does not have to be a bad thing, which i do agree with you that it is today. Simply changing market structure will change it from being bad to being good. Perhaps this can be tried in Armenia and done the right way! That would indeed be something to be proud of.
          Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarkis86 View Post
            -I can't think of any other scenario. It is almost impossible that it was a random act of violence because: a) Armenia is actually a very, very safe country apart from political and "business" violence and petty pickpockets; and b) political figures don't get shot by coincidence....
            I agree with your assessment Sarkis jan but one other option I can think of is azerbaijan. There have been instances in the past when certain individuals were bought by azeri "intelligence" services. Just think of the woman who left a bomb in Hotel Erebuni several years ago which luckily didn't go off. It was later revealed that she got the orders from azeri secret services, or the man who got caught for trying to assassinate Hrant Melik-Shahnazaryan and there have been a couple more instances like these.
            The question is what would azerbaijan gain from this? Perhaps they just wanted to cast a dirty light on the Armenian elections (in anticipation of the criticism they are going to receive later this year with their elections), or maybe they were hoping the people would come out against the government after this? Lets not forget what they did after the safarov affair, employing an uzbek to go to Armenia and try to convince the Armenian secret service to help him carry out a bomb attack in Baku. They thought the Armenians would fall for this trap, so the azeri's could use this instance to discredit the Armenian authorities. All I'm saying is, if they went that far just to be able to discredit the Armenian authorities before the international community than perhaps they might also have a hand in this.

P.S. I like reading your posts, keep up the good work!
            Last edited by Lernakan; 02-01-2013, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Very interesting take Lernakan and welcome back to posting!

Moments after Hayrikian was shot:

Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Originally posted by Federate View Post
                Very interesting take Lernakan and welcome back to posting!
                Thanks for the welcome yeghpayr!

Comment

Just think of the woman who left a bomb in Hotel Erebuni several years ago which luckily didn't go off. It was later revealed that she got the orders from azeri secret services, or the man who got caught for trying to assassinate Hrant Melik-Shahnazaryan and there have been a couple more instances like these.
                  Just a few days ago the British embassy in Armenia made an off comment about our elections. Perfect timing with this hit, I would not put it pasted them to have multi countries involved in sync. This is only good for two people, the guy that got shot and the outsiders who are going to use this and milk it to the last drop.

Comment

Originally posted by Lernakan View Post
                    I agree with your assessment Sarkis jan but one other option I can think of is azerbaijan. There have been instances in the past when certain individuals were bought by azeri "intelligence" services. Just think of the woman who left a bomb in Hotel Erebuni several years ago which luckily didn't go off. It was later revealed that she got the orders from azeri secret services, or the man who got caught for trying to assassinate Hrant Melik-Shahnazaryan and there have been a couple more instances like these.
                    The question is what would azerbaijan gain from this? Perhaps they just wanted to cast a dirty light on the Armenian elections (in anticipation of the criticism they are going to receive later this year with their elections), or maybe they were hoping the people would come out against the government after this? Lets not forget what they did after the safarov affair, employing an uzbek to go to Armenia and try to convince the Armenian secret service to help him carry out a bomb attack in Baku. They thought the Armenians would fall for this trap, so the azeri's could use this instance to discredit the Armenian authorities. All I'm saying is, if they went that far just to be able to discredit the Armenian authorities before the international community than perhaps they might also have a hand in this.

P.S. I like reading your posts, keep up the good work!
                    Thank you for the compliment and support Lernakan. I appreciate it!

Excellent point. I was being too-narrowly focused in thinking that the organizers of this attack on Hayrikyan had to be either Armenians, Russians or Americans. I had not thought of azeris/turks, even though they had a lot to gain from the situation.

I agree your assessment completely, azerbaijan would benefit from unrest in Armenia and the negative press against us in the international arena. I am sure Armenia's NSS will look into any azeri/turkish connections to this shooting. I recall the Uzbek and Hotel cases, as well as a few cases the Armenian government publicized of the azeri's trying to send agents into Armenia. I've heard Armenian concerns that azeri agents might get in posing as Iranian tourists (possibly from the Iranian-azeri community), or through bribing Armenian citizens in former Soviet counties; or bribing non-Armenian tourists from the CIS. There was also a case during the Kocharyan era of an Armenian from "istanbul" who was jailed for spying for turkey.

The threat from the azeris and turks remains, they'd love nothing more than another upheaval in Armenia. We can never let our guard down, and we can never allow foreign intrigues to stir up unrest in Armenia.

Comment

Originally posted by Vahram View Post
                      Just a few days ago the British embassy in Armenia made an off comment about our elections. Perfect timing with this hit, I would not put it pasted them to have multi countries involved in sync. This is only good for two people, the guy that got shot and the outsiders who are going to use this and milk it to the last drop.
                      I despise the british embassy in Yerevan.

-The former b*tch ambassador Thora Abbott-Watt openly stated in Armenia that the fact of the Armenian Genocide occurring was an open debate among historians.

-Artur Baghdasaryan was caught by the Armenian NSS in 2007 secretly discussing plan with the British Ambassador about organizing a forceful regime change in Armenia.

-Look at how little they respect Armenia, experimental husband-wife ambassadorships just aren't done in the diplomatic world http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...h-embassy.html

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against English, Welsh, Scotish or Irish individuals, and I respect British culture and contributions to civilization. But from the days of the Crimean War (when they literally fought to kick the Russians out of Western Armenia and ensured the Genocide took place 50 years later) until today Britain has been the leading anti-Armenian power in Europe. I see anything emanating from the British Embassy in Yerevan as a threat.

And the sad part is there are dozens and dozens of nations that Britain has damaged as badly as it has Armenia.

Comment

Working...
                      X