Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Elections in Armenia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Presidential elections 2008 in Armenia

Originally posted by aray View Post
    Just talked to my sister in Yerevan and she said that on H1 they were showing the arrest of people transporting large number of weapons to Yerevan from Echmiadzin. I think Robert and Serjh should act now.
    My God, are you serious? Is this accurate? This time to act was on Wednesday. I don't know what they are waiting for.
    Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by crusader1492 View Post
      I'm angry as well, but the silver lining is that Kocharian and Sarkisian have been exposed to the danger that the LTP types pose. With that said, it looks like they have learned a lesson from this exposure and that in the future, they will be much more pro-active to stop treasonous behavior before it starts.

I doubt we will be seeing "protests" like this in the future.
      Very true, what is scary is this is all so American and European economy can grow, Armenians are just canon fodder for western economic growth.

Comment

Originally posted by Armenian View Post
        My God, are you serious? Is this accurate? This time to act was on Wednesday. I don't know what they are waiting for.

I think this is what they meant:

Ex-prosecutor who joined opposition detained in Armenia; postelection protest persists

YEREVAN, Armenia (AP) - Armenian authorities have detained a former senior prosecutor who was fired after joining opposition protests, police said Sunday, adding to tension over the Caucasus Mountain nation's disputed presidential vote.
        Protesters calling for a repeat of last week's vote kept up their protest for a fifth straight day in a central
        Yerevan square. A tough warning from the outgoing president raised concerns that police could seek to disperse the demonstrators, who have set up tents and maintained round-the-clock vigils.
        Supporters of opposition candidate Levon Ter-Petrosian claim last Tuesday's election was rigged and are demanding a new vote. The government says Prime Minister Serge Sarkisian won the presidency fairly and has urged the protesters to disperse.
        The standoff has raised concerns about potential violence in a poor and volatile country that is strategically located at the junction of the energy-rich Caspian Sea region and southern Europe, with Russia and Iran nearby.
        Late Saturday, outgoing President Robert Kocharian accused the opposition of attempting to seize power and warned of «resolute and firm» actions to preserve order. The statement sparked speculation that government forces would move to break up the protest, which has been drawing up to 30,000 people daily.
        On Sunday morning, an officer speaking through a bullhorn urged the crowd of a few thousand to disperse, but there was no major police presence at the rally site and no sign of imminent action. Demonstrators were milling in the square outside Yerevan's opera house as music played from large speakers.
        Police stopped a few hundred Sarkisian supporters who appeared to be headed for the square.
        Election officials said the day after the vote that Sarkisian, Kocharian's favored successor, received 53 percent of the vote in the nation of 3.2 million _ enough to win outright and avoid a runoff. They said Ter-Petrosian received 21 percent.
        A few officials have joined the opposition since the vote.

The most prominent person to do so, former Deputy Prosecutor General Gagik Dzhangirian, was detained along with his brother and another man late Saturday, police spokesman Sayat Shirinian said. An exchange of gunfire erupted when officers blocked a highway to search the car in which they were traveling, Shirinian said.
        Dzhangirian's brother and two police officers were injured, police said.
        Shirinian said four pistols and a hunting rifle were found in the car.
        Dzhangirian had joined the protesters Friday. Several Armenian diplomats who expressed support for the opposition were dismissed Saturday by Kocharian, including the ambassadors to Italy and Kyrgyzstan and a deputy foreign minister.

Comment

Originally posted by crusader1492 View Post
          Armenian,

I just got off the phone with my wife's uncle who lives in the gendron. He told me that the situation there is not nearly as bad as the news is making it out to be.
          He said, at most, there are a few hundred people "protesting" behind the opera house and that they are mostly dancing and smoking. He also told me that the energy level of these protests has been dwindling. Moreover, he believes that once the recount of the votes confirm that Serge is the winner (sometime tomorrow), the remnaints of the protest will be broken up with minimal force.

In short, he told me not to worry as he views these protests as a small number of people acting ridiculously.

Can any of your sources confirm this?

From what I heard, they will be demanding new elections and will march towards the Central Election Comm. buliding and the National Assembly. Within the crowds there is some talk of winning them over by flowers, could this be a code for another "colored revolution"? The outward intent of this name is to give it a peaceful aura, however one can not be sure with these sobs'.
          For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
          to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

RA CEC officially announced Serzh Sargsyan’s victory in presidential Election

/PanARMENIAN.Net/ The Armenian Central Electoral Committee announced final outcomes of the presidential election. “With 862369 votes (52,82%) Serzh Sargsyan was elected the President of Armenia,” CEC chairman Garegin Azaryan said. Armenia’s ex-President Levon Ter-Petrosyan came up the second with 351222 votes (21,5%).

It's showtime
            For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
            to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

Originally posted by Armenian View Post
              Dude, believe me, I know. I have been in touch with some very close friends there as well. They are more-or-less saying the same thing. This ordeal is being orchestrated for foreign consumption by several English language news outlets - for example: http://www.hetq.am/eng/ My anger and frustration have to do with their 'intent,' what they are trying to do, and not their capabilities or numbers. These people are a 'loud' minority under evil/foreign leadership. However, unchecked these people can become a national security risk. As an Armenian, I don't want these types of vermin in the country. There are, by modest estimates, several hundred thousand of them today. It would anger me even when I see a single Levin Petrostein supporter in Armenia.

Well said.. I mean come one. Why would anyone in their right mind want Levon back? I'm very annoyed with what's been going on lately.

I say we execute the pig.

Comment

I love Zhirinovsky

There are many things we Armenians can learn from Russians. The following treatment of the 'opposition' is merely one of them.

Televised debate ends in a scuffle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvw_pEzmA08

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Նժդեհ

Comment

With regards to the “lets get the tanks on the street” argument: Our government, regardless of the circumstances, will not order tanks to squash people and to create bloodshed. Only a weak and a treacherous leader would do something like that, and LTP was such leader. Today, the Republic of Armenia is a country of law, so if anyone, and I emphasize anyone from LTP down to some ordinary Vacho on the street, is found in the breach of any of our laws then they will be arrested, charged and face a court, which will determine if they are guilty or not. If they are convicted then they will be jailed. Attempted coup d'état will be punished very severely. The leaders will be tried in the court of law and if convicted they can potentially spent the rest of their life in jail.

Comment

I highly respect your opinions Amrotz, you are a better man than I am. However, what is going on in Yerevan is a serious threat to our national security. This unrest is being orchestrated from the outside. If the authorities allow this to continue it may get out of hand. I have a feeling that Levin is looking for violence to make a point. I think instead of waiting for them to make the first move, send in the riot police. I think its better to scatter the protesters now before a real problem occur. Take a close look at the following headlines from today. And take a look at the garbage in Southern California. I bet most of these human wastes in LA fled the country during Levin's rule:

Supporters of Levon Ter-Petrosyan Demonstrate in Los Angeles

The Press Department of Levon Ter-Petrosyan’s Support Center in The United States reports the following: On February 24th, a protest rally numbering more than 15,000 people took place in the Little Armenia section of Los Angeles. Organizers stated that the primary objectives of the rally were to support the growing popular movement in Armenia, to call on the U.S. State Department not to accept election results in Armenia to continuously monitor developments in Armenia regarding the protection of democratic rights. The rally also sought to prompt U.S. officials to publicly condemn the ruling authorities in Armenia for unleashing the use of physical force and illegal arrests and to call for a halt to politically inspired crackdowns. Speakers at the rally condemned the election process as being rife with corruption, bribery, physical force and other illegalities. They reiterated that official election results didn’t reflect actual reality and supported Levon Ter-Petrosyan’s demand that the election be declared null and void. The protest rally also called on the Armenian government to immediately release all political prisoners, halt political witch-hunts and lift the news blackout. The rally ended on an enthusiastic high note with those in attendance proclaiming their resolve to struggle until their demands were met.

Source: http://www.hetq.am/eng/politics/7642/

Six More Officials at the Foreign Ministry are Sacked for Statements Made

Following in the footsteps of 3 Armenian Ambassadors and one Envoy already dismissed for publicly condemning the government’s handling of the February 19th presidential elections, six more high-ranking officials at the Foreign Ministry of the ROA declared their opposition to the elction process and were summarily relieved of office. They include: Vladimir Karapetian, Foreign Ministry Press Secretary; Varsenik Baghdasarian, head of UN Division at RA FM; Karine Afrikian, Head of USA and Canada Division, Marta Aivazian, Head of the NATO Division; Arakel Semerjian, Advisor to the European Department and Elen Peteyan, Secretary of the South American Department. Today, February 25th, Foreign Minister Vardan Oskanian, commenting on the action taken by the above individuals, declared that, “Members of the diplomatic corps do no have the right to take such positions. The law does not allow such a thing.” The Foreign Minister stated that, “...I signed their dismissal notices with a great deal of pain as it was a blow to the system.” Journalists present posed the following question to the Foreign Minister - “How do you explain the fact that these individuals at one time represented the country’s president in the world forum and now they support a candidate who labels the current president a criminal?” According to Vardan Oskanian these individuals either had personal or business links to former President Levon Ter-Petrosyan. The Foreign Minister concluded by stating that, “ However, we showed no discrimination amongst them. I have no desire to know whether or not there are others with the same position since we’re not on a witch hunt.”

Source: http://www.hetq.am/eng/politics/7659/

BAKU TRYING TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF INTERNAL POLITICAL SITUATION IN ARMENIA

Tense internal political situation will have a negative influence both on Armenia’s image and the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict settlement process, RA FM Vardan Oskanian stated while talking to journalists on February 25. According to Armenia’s FM, Azerbaijan is already trying to speculate on internal political situation in Armenia. “I would not like to bring examples; however, they saw a window at a diplomatic level. It seems to them that there is a split in Armenia’s power and public and they will manage to realize certain programs”, FM stated adding the situation should be settled in the shortest possible time. “We should start the rapprochement process, we have a new President, who will assume his duties on April 9, and I believe we should be able to go ahead”, Oskanian stated. According to Vardan Oskanian, it would be a pity if Armenia’s positive image gained on the international arena after parliamentary elections and until now is destroyed. “Protest rallies after the declaration of the elections’ winner will have a negative influence on the country’s image. I hope they will come to their senses and take the right tack. They can appeal against the results of the elections to the Constitutional Court, the world will regard it normally, I even think it will have a positive influence on our image”, Vardan Oskanian noted.

Source: http://www.defacto.am/index.php?OP=71330909

Նժդեհ

Comment

Working...
                      X