Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Andre Agassi, not Armenian!???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ablahad
    And what persecution would a person have to avoid in Las Vegas when his father supposedly shortened his name?
    Ummm....I think the theory is the name was shortened several generations ago (Armenian Genocide), not after his dad got to Las Vegas. As for the rest of it, don't know, don't care. It's not like he's doing anything usefull for the Armenian name sake, anyway.

By the way, next time you run into his dad, ask.

Comment

For some reason on whatever website it was, and it has been copied and pasted on various Armenian websites, it said that his dad changed it when he moved to Vegas. I don't usually run into his dad, I don't know where he lives now, I met him a few years ago at an Assyrian convention, so maybe I'll see him and if so, i'll ask, take care.

Comment

Originally posted by spiral
        Jesus Christ .

except don't use his name in vain but i can see where it came from

Comment

Agassi was on the PBS documentary "Armenian Americans", talking about an Armenian dessert that his mother would make.

He also helped the Armenian tennis player Sargis Sarsgsyan (from Armenia) break into the tennis world, and often trains with him. (The first time Sargsyan went to the States, Agassi sent his private plane to pick him up so they could meet in Vegas ).

So yea, I don't know where you're coming from, but if he himself says that he is Armenian, he sounds a little more credible than you. Sorry.

Comment

He's also good friends with the Yemenigians of LV. His father is Armenian and had shortened the name. It just so happens it was shortened to an Assyrian sounding one. That does not an Assyrian make. He is at least part Armenian. You seem to want to discount his Armenianess because he isn't a full Armenian and call him Assyrian instead. That's really odd because, since he's part Armenian, he isn't full Assyrian either. So that does discount his Assyrianess as well, not being a full one? At that rate any "mutt" would end up being of no nationality, which is just insane. If you go far back enough, we are all mutts anyway.
            Last edited by IAmMadAtAC; 04-26-2005, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Agassi's father is full Armenian, its not a rumour. Diar Dants layed out exactly what i was going to say when I first read your comments. Ablahad do a bit more research before you start proclaiming things please, and PS. Armenia isnt in the middle east.

Comment

I might be right on target or completely exhibiting my ignorance -- but haven't some Assyrians historically spoken Armenian? Maybe that's at the root of this?

Comment

Originally posted by Ablahad
                  No he is not part Armenian. Agassi is an Assyrian name. I am Assyrian. I know people with the same last name. Look up, Evin Agassi, an Assyrian singer. Why would somebody simply cut their name down? Emanual is his father's name, I've met him at an Assyrian convention in Modesto a few years ago. He might be part Armenian on his mother's side, but I know for a fact that his father is Assyrian from Iran. On some website it says that his father is ethnic Armenian, but this information isn't valid. Look up the name Agassi, its Assyrian.
                  I know people that have cut tha "an" out of their last names. Its really not that uncommon. Also, just because Agassi is an Assyrian name doesnt mean Andre Agassi is not part Armenian. I'm Assyrian/Armenian...

Comment

Originally posted by Diar Dants
                    Agassi was on the PBS documentary "Armenian Americans", talking about an Armenian dessert that his mother would make.

He also helped the Armenian tennis player Sargis Sarsgsyan (from Armenia) break into the tennis world, and often trains with him. (The first time Sargsyan went to the States, Agassi sent his private plane to pick him up so they could meet in Vegas ).

So yea, I don't know where you're coming from, but if he himself says that he is Armenian, he sounds a little more credible than you. Sorry.
                    That a very credible source if I do day so myself.

OPh and lets not forget the hundreds of thousands of dollars of aid money he sends to Armenian. (then again, maybe he just likes the chai)

Comment

HEY U, Ablahad, I guess u have some problems,....now listen...Andre Agassi is Armenian,...and every one in the world nows about it. Even here in Republic of Georgia, it is known that he is armenian. Hey u, stupid, His sirname may be Agassi, But he will be still Armenian anyway and it Does not matter.It does not matter where did u see his farther, he will not snop beeing armenian. For example, some one like u can see me in russian convention(by some reasons) here in Georgia, where I live but it does not mean that I am russian, it is stupid to think like this, when I am armenian, there were so many tv shows about Andre Agassi and his family here, and it is known that hi is armenian,and do not say bull xxxx , And U are INTRIGUER , and u are not welcome here.

Comment

Working...
                      X