Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

gor blimey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gor blimey

On another forum that I was reading, someone wrote that the spoken Western Armenian suffix "gor" is similar to the spoken Eastern Armenian use of "a". I know how "gor" is used (to indicate the continuous [as opposed to simple] present tense) but I am not familiar with the Eastern Armenian use of "a" that the poster mentioned. Can anyone explain this to me?
    Also, can "gor" be used with the past imperfect tense, for example to distinguish "I was walking" from "I used to walk"?

Re: gor blimey

Originally posted by womble View Post
    On another forum that I was reading, someone wrote that the spoken Western Armenian suffix "gor" is similar to the spoken Eastern Armenian use of "a". I know how "gor" is used (to indicate the continuous [as opposed to simple] present tense) but I am not familiar with the Eastern Armenian use of "a" that the poster mentioned. Can anyone explain this to me? Also, can "gor" be used with the past imperfect tense, for example to distinguish "I was walking" from "I used to walk"?
    The "a" (ա) in Eastern Armenian that person referred to is the "e" (է) in Western Armenian.

Example:

He is a soldier

Eastern Arm - Նա զինվորա (transliteration - na zinvora)

Western Arm - Ան զինվոր է (transliteration - an zinvor e, as in the "e" in elephant)

Note however that unlike in Western Armenian in Eastern Armenian one can properly use both, a (ա) and e (է).

There is no "gor" (կոր) in proper Western Armenian. The suffix in question is borrowed from the Turkish continuous present tense "yor" and used in Armenian street slang. In western Armenian, continuous present tense does not exist. It was lost during the transition from grabar (Classical Armenian) to ashkharabar (Armenian Vernacular). The lose of the suffix is the reason why in Western Armenian slang the Turkish "yor" is borrowed. The continuous present tense in Eastern Armenian is um (ում).

Some examples:

I am walking:

Eastern - Ես քայլում եմ (Transliteration - Yes qaylum em)

Western - Ես կ'քայլ եմ (Transliteration - Yes k'qayl em)

I walk:

Eastern - Ես կ'քայլ եմ (Transliteration - Yes qayl em)

Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Very lucid post.
      Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Armenian View Post
        There is no "gor" (կոր) in proper Western Armenian. The suffix in question is borrowed from the Turkish continuous present tense "yor" and used in Armenian street slang.
        .... The lose of the suffix is the reason why in Western Armenian slang the Turkish "yor" is borrowed.
        The "gor" was borrowed because the continuous aspect/form is missing in Armenian - in all tenses. More on it:
        Originally posted by Siamanto View Post
        1. "Gor" is used to fill a shortcoming of the Armenian language where the continuous forms of verb tenses do not exist - i.e. I am going, I was going etc. By the way, other languages - i.e. the French - lack the continuous form.

2. "Gor" seems to be a *urkish influence; in fact, the *urkish suffix "yor" is equivalent to the Armenian "gor"

3. "Gor" is only used in spoken Armenian and is not considered proper Armenian

4. I was puzzled when I heard Armenians from Aleppo, Syria use "eh" instead. For instance, instead of "gou kam gor," they say "Gou kameh." I don't know if all Armenians from Syria, use the same suffix to form the continuous form???

5. It is possible to avoid using it - at least in most cases, if not all; but, it requires some effort and it's not always straightforward. I wonder how the continuous form is expressed in Eastern Armenian?

Note: I have chosen to auto censor the words "*urk," "*urkish" or *urkic" because it is commonly perceived as unpleasant and offending, evokes unpleasant emotions and imagery and is pregnant with immoral and evil connotations

The continuous present tense in Eastern Armenian is um (ում).
        Some examples:

I am walking:

Eastern - Ես քայլում եմ (Transliteration - Yes qaylum em)

I walk:

Eastern - Ես կ'քայլ եմ (Transliteration - Yes qayl em)

The "ում" has nothing to do with the continuous aspect/form; you're simply confusing your subjective appreciation of the usage of an expression (i.e. semantics) and well defined grammatical rules (i.e. syntax.)
        By the way, the sole fact that the same expression ( i.e. grammatical form) is translated in one case as "I am walking" (continuous grammatical form) and the other as "I walk" (another grammatical form) clearly shows your confusion of "grammatical forms" and "subjective appreciation of the semantics of a grammatical form."

Two more details:
        1- LOL "Ես կ'քայլ եմ???" Is that Western Armenian? It's "Ես կը քալեմ."
        2- In Eastern Armenian the "կ" indicates the conditional not the present. You definitely need some Armemian Grammar Lessons.

I think that instead of misinforming others, ridiculing yourself and disfiguring the Armenian Language, you should spend more time learning it?????
        Honestly, aren't you ashamed to constantly display your ignorance and misinform others????

In western Armenian, continuous present tense does not exist. It was lost during the transition from grabar (Classical Armenian) to ashkharabar (Armenian Vernacular).
        LOL Krapar??? You hardly know Ashkharapar!
        Last edited by Siamanto; 01-26-2008, 12:34 AM.
        What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

Comment

"na zinvor e" is proper (eastern) Armenian. "na zinvora" is not the proper form although many speak that way (as far as I know. I could be wrong).
          this post = teh win.

Comment

Originally posted by Sip View Post
            "na zinvor e" is proper (eastern) Armenian. "na zinvora" is not the proper form although many speak that way (as far as I know. I could be wrong).
            It's not improper, it's considered to be dialectal (barbarayin). There are several main dialects in existence in Armenia today. You see it used in official documents, television reporting, poems, etc. The problem with our language is it's numerous dialects. There should be 'one' official dialect and it should be enforced by the authorities at all times. Thus far, attitudes towards the language is very laxed, to the detriment of the language.

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

The "gor" was borrowed because the continuous aspect/form is missing in Armenian - in all tenses.

LOL, the continuous form does not exist in all tenses in Armenian??? It does exist, at least in the past ( I'm not sure about the present) Here are some examples:

գրում էի/ քայլում էի/ նայում էի / կարդում էի եւ այլն:

Two more details:
              The verb (its infinitive) is "քայլել" so it must be "քայլեմ" and not "քալեմ".

2- In Eastern Armenian the "կ" indicates the conditional not the present.

The conditional as well as future simple: Նամակը գրե՞լ ես: Չէ, գիշերը կը գրեմ: "կը" in here has a future meaning clearly and not conditional. In order to make it conditional, there should be an 'if clause';եթէ հանդիպենք, կը գրեմ:
              Last edited by Lucin; 01-26-2008, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sip View Post
                He thinks that "Ես կ'քայլ եմ" is Armenian, and confuses syntax and semantics....Did you expect him to focus on - or appreciate - such linguistic "subtleties???"
                Last edited by Siamanto; 01-26-2008, 10:13 AM.
                What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucin View Post
                  LOL, the continuous form does not exist in all tenses in Armenian??? It does exist, at least in the past ( I'm not sure about the present) Here are some examples:

գրում էի/ քայլում էի/ նայում էի / կարդում էի եւ այլն:
                  No, the continuous form/aspect does not exist in Armenian, regardless of the tense. We had the same conversation before and you failed to provide a single reference where it is said that the continuous form/aspect exists in Askharapar. You failed to provide such a reference because the continuous form/aspect is missing in Armenian. To repeat myself:
                  You're simply confusing your subjective appreciation of the usage of an expression (i.e. semantics) and well defined grammatical rules (i.e. syntax.)

The verb (its infinitive) is "քայլել" so it must be "քայլեմ" and not "քալեմ".
                  No, it is "Ես կը քալեմ" is Western Armenian. Please be wise - and courteous - enough to double check before you display your ignorance with such confidence, and take the risk of misinforming others. If you're too lazy to consult a reference, then it suffices to google!

2- In Eastern Armenian the "կ" indicates the conditional not the present.
                  The conditional as well as future simple: Նամակը գրե՞լ ես: Չէ, գիշերը կը գրեմ: "կը" in here has a future meaning clearly and not conditional. In order to make it conditional, there should be an 'if clause';եթէ հանդիպենք, կը գրեմ:
                  First of all, the conditional mode does not require an if condition; you are confusing the conditional mode and the conditional sentence. It is a mode, just like the subjunctive, to express the disposition of the subject (of the verb.)
                  Most of all, the future, in Eastern Armenian, is "քալելու եմ."
                  Last edited by Siamanto; 01-26-2008, 10:22 AM.

Comment

The obsessive psychobabbling he/she strikes again!!!

I'll go find some pills to throw at it...

Do you people see what I have to go through here?

Նժդեհ

Comment

Working...
                    X