Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

The Case for Siamanto and Other Forward-Thinking Armenians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Case for Siamanto and Other Forward-Thinking Armenians

Originally posted by meline
    You are confirming my point about stereotypes by mentioning "ultranationalists" on the one hand and "those who express their nationalism more moderately" on the other. First, you don't clarify what "more moderately means", you just use it as the opposite of what you claim to be "ultranationalism". Second, the pure "nationalist" seems to be left out of the picture...That's the missing link in the essay. Again, only my opinion.
    The difference is that many ultranationalists use "Us vs. Them" as a way to exclude and berate others (i.e. how many times have you heard "you're not Armenian" justified on the grounds of an ultranationalist moral ideology?).

The ultranationalist tends toward exclusion rather than inclusion.

The moderate tends toward inclusion rather than exclusion.

Neither of these should be taken as absolute statements, however. Both sides can take on traits of the other from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse View Post
      Who cares? Why are you so caught up with that about him? If you truly believe that's what he is and stands for, then why does it fucking matter? Let him be then and don't take him seriously or respond, otherwise you are just engaging in more character assassination just like you did here, in a carefully crafted manner so as to come off as topical. The same applies to Armenian, or anyone else.

You guys just don't get it. You, me, Armenian, our whole opinions are exactly what they are, insignificant fucking trivial shit engaged in by a bunch of middle class Armenians with too much time on their hands and not enough power to alter policy decisions or even make a dent in the centrifugal forces of world geopolitics, and yet here you guys are acting toward each other like you are a bunch of damn Turks and you cannot wait to get your hands on the others throat to slice it with a scimitar. Get over it. This forum is for discussion and fun, and if you make it a fanatical habit of seeking catharsis and jollies via character assassinations, I will purge everyone from this fucking forum and it will just be a wasteland again as it once was.

Can't you stay in your own thread and can't they stay in their threads? That seems the only viable solution.
      I suspect that somewhere on the border between Canada and the Eastern U.S., Ara Baliozian is snickering to himself.

P.S. have you noticed how all of a sudden the RA PM is on an anti-corruption kick, Serge is overhauling his security apparatus and the NSS is being enlisted to crack down on corruption. Hmm...

P.S.S. A nationalist without a nation is like a hoof without a horse.
      Between childhood, boyhood,
      adolescence
      & manhood (maturity) there
      should be sharp lines drawn w/
      Tests, deaths, feats, rites
      stories, songs & judgements

- Morrison, Jim. Wilderness, vol. 1, p. 22

Comment

You said it man. Nobody fucks with the Jesus.

Now please for God's sake, let Armenian do his thing and you guys make your own threads and do your thing.

Otherwise I'll get all Walter Sobchak on your asses.
        Anon, ever been to a Lebowskifest. They are a ton of fun.
        adolescence

Comment

Originally posted by yerazhishda View Post
          Exactly. This is what I have been trying to say all along. If a "nationalist" is going to lambast a diasporan for not being invested in Armenia (as displayed in the article "Who is an Armenian?" - forget who it's by), don't be a hypocrite. At least follow your own dogma.

It illustrates my point about a "romanticized" homeland, which is viewed from afar by a diasporan. Is it that they are afraid that once they get there they will be dissapointed in what they see?
          Yeraz, back in the days, I always tested well when it came to reading comprehension.
          adolescence

Comment

Maybe I'm not a gifted communicator but what part was I not clear on? I thought I was clear when I said no fucking insults and personalizing and character assasinations and that applies to you both. What the hell is wrong with you two? You are not special and I don't care who you are and what kind of fan following you have. Keep it civil or fuck off.
            What insults Anon? I don't see 'depth' in the guy. That's an insult now? This is a serious conversation about personal characters. How generic, how sterile do you expect our replies to be? In a healthy forum one should expect harsh rhetoric and some clashes. And when it gets out of hand - we have the moderation team to clean house. No?
            Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by freakyfreaky View Post
              so true.

Comment

Originally posted by freakyfreaky View Post
                I suspect that somewhere on the border between Canada and the Eastern U.S., Ara Baliozian is snickering to himself.

P.S. have you noticed how all of a sudden the RA PM is on an anti-corruption kick, Serge is overhauling his security apparatus and the NSS is being enlisted to crack down on corruption. Hmm...

I can tell you that Armenia is a doomed country, regardless of who sits on the throne of the Ivory Tower.

Yet compared to the diaspora, regardless of who sits on the thrown of the Ivory Tower in Armenia, Armenia will still do leaps and bounds better in terms of retaining what it is to be Armenian and Armenianness. The diaspora is just a lost hodge podge and melange of nothingness, and an existential wasteland.

So all of us should (in theory) aim our eyes there.

And if Armenia is attacked and overrun and destroyed by the Turkic Muslim marauders at least they will die in a fight (I know that much), than us Armenians in the diaspora who will die because of blood poisoning in the multicultural wasteland.
                Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Armenian View Post
                  What insults Anon? I don't see 'depth' in the guy. That's an insult now? This is a serious conversation about personal characters. How generic, how sterile do you expect our replies to be? In a healthy forum one should expect harsh rhetoric and some clashes. And when it gets out of hand - we have the moderation team to clean house. No?
                  Fair enough, but I am trying to err on the side of caution. I don't see the use of it because all it does is raise the stakes to eventual floodgates of garbage.

In other contexts, I am okay with such harsh rhetoric and some clashes, but in this context, in the context of you and them, I think we have established a point of no return.

In any event...
                  Achkerov kute.

Comment

Anon, it was an insult, diluted as it was, for Armenian to claim that Yeraz lacks depth, wisdom and/or worldliness. Here, we know nothing about Armenian and for him to say these things about someone else that understands concepts like logic and philosophy and can express themselves clearly and concisely is insulting.

Yeraz's essay regardless of your opinion of it was refreshing. Much better a post than most of the cut and paste jobs and spamming that 'some' individuals contribute to the forum.

Until Armenian can satisfy to us all what exactly his worldly experience is, telling others that they lack it when it is patent that they don't lack it is an insult. Also, its intellectually insincere.
                    adolescence

Comment

I can tell you that Armenia is a doomed country, regardless of who sits on the throne of the Ivory Tower.

Yet compared to the diaspora, regardless of who sits on the thrown of the Ivory Tower in Armenia, Armenia will still do leaps and bounds better in terms of retaining what it is to be Armenian and Armenianness. The diaspora is just a lost hodge podge and melange of nothingness, and an existential wasteland.
                      Why is Armenia doomed? And if it is doomed, what does it matter if Armenia keeps it's "Armenianness" or if anyone keeps their "Armenianness" for that matter?

So all of us should (in theory) aim our eyes there.
                      I agree.

And if Armenia is attacked and overrun and destroyed by the Turkic Muslim marauders at least they will die in a fight (I know that much), than us Armenians in the diaspora who will die because of blood poisoning in the multicultural wasteland.
                      What's the difference? Death is death is death.

Comment

Working...
                      X