Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

If you had to choose between Christianity and being Armenian.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: If you had to choose between Christianity and being Armenian.

Originally posted by yerazhishda View Post
    You'd be wrong.

Oh that's nice. You have 'feelings' that are 'good enough for you'. It's because of people like you that the Diaspora in the West has assimilated to the point that it has. Cultural feelings aren't worth xxxx. Ask yourself what you are doing for the advancement of the Republic and you will come to this conclusion. When Armenians were exiled from their native lands and came to their respective nations, they only planned to stay there temporarily. Churches and committees were constructed to preserve the Armenian identity until it was possible to repatriate to Armenia. They were not created to encourage a perpetual Diaspora i.e. statelessness.

I am saying this for your own good as an Armenian.

I am not interested in what you have to say about religion because I am familiar with all the arguments and we have fought about this before. You talk about the 'greatness' of the human mind and capacity for achievement but our achievement as individuals is very limited, if not destructive. Technological innovations cannot give a person solice and peace; this has been shown over and over again. But I do not want to argue about this because it is a tired topic.

That's bullxxxx. You feel compelled to write about what interests you to 'help' others. Apparently the future of Armenia does not interest you and you have no opinion as to what will advance it.

You pretend (that's right, 'pretend') to be an Armenian and denigrate the Armenian Apostolic Church. I am just calling you out for what you are for your own good.

Incredible! You're a complete idiot! Do our collective IQ a favor and call your selfish, egocentric self an Alaskan. There is nothing someone like you can say to make me feel bad about my viewpoint so you can give up... though I suspect you get a kick out of masturbating all over the forum.

Comment

Interesting to see how a discussion of Religion and Culture has broken down into this......

I think its fair to say that its more important to be an Armenian, and with that comes the knowledge of our religious history. One does not necessarily have to be a christian, but they dont have to publicly bash it either.... Lets not forget our brethren who fought so courageously in the Battle of Avarayr (vartanantz).

Comment

Originally posted by Federate View Post
        That's because the Republic of Armenia guarantees the fact that you will grow up Armenian but the diaspora will not. Therefore the necessity to go to church in Armenia is not as high. Pair that up with 70 years of Bolshevism and it explains your question.

The church in the diaspora has two functions: 1) As the house of God and all those religious stuff. 2) As a community center where you go to meet Armenians and remind yourself that you are Armenian.

In Armenia, the factor that makes people go to church is number 1 since number 2 is all around them.

Your mom probably wanted you to remain Armenian so she took you to church.
        No my mom took me to church because that is what she believes christians should do. It had nothing to do with being Armenian.

I have seen enough to know that those with deep faith place god and religion above all else. Armenia's salvation is not thru any church and it is dangerous to hold on to that dillusion.

Comment

Originally posted by truAnatolian View Post
          Interesting to see how a discussion of Religion and Culture has broken down into this......

I think its fair to say that its more important to be an Armenian, and with that comes the knowledge of our religious history. One does not necessarily have to be a christian, but they dont have to publicly bash it either.... Lets not forget our brethren who fought so courageously in the Battle of Avarayr (vartanantz).
          I'm sorry but (1) I'm not bashing any one church, and (2) if I feel that religion in general is something worth fighting, that is a choice and a belief independent of culture. It is about that nature of knowledge and understanding and no two dollar, self-determined true patriot pseudo-philosopher will change that, even if it offends his sensibilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Stark Evade View Post
            I'm sorry but (1) I'm not bashing any one church, and (2) if I feel that religion in general is something worth fighting, that is a choice and a belief independent of culture. It is about that nature of knowledge and understanding and no two dollar, self-determined true patriot pseudo-philosopher will change that, even if it offends his sensibilities.
            Go assimilate as soon as possible, please.

Comment

Stop it!

Yeraz, you really don't know him and can't make a judgment about his Armenianness based on that one piece of information about him.
              I assure you, he's at least as Armenian as you. You're jumping to conclusions based on religion as the sine qua non of Armenianness overlooking the fact that that's an enormous and unsupported assumption.
              [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
              -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
                Stop it!

Yeraz, you really don't know him and can't make a judgment about his Armenianness based on that one piece of information about him.
                I assure you, he's at least as Armenian of you. You're jumping to conclusions based on religion as the sine qua non of Armenianness overlooking the fact that that's an enormous and unsupported assumption.
                I will say this again in clearer terms:

Anyone who denigrates the Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Church is not Armenian regardless of their religious stance.

I could care less about him. I'm not going to let him go on insulting the Church, that is absurd. I'm not the only one here who thinks this way, either.
                Last edited by yerazhishda; 11-18-2008, 11:51 AM.

Comment

He did not target the Armenian church. He stated a general opinion about organized religion/religion broadly.

You are still however stating this anyone who...is not Armenian as if that's anything more than your personal opinion. Even if there are others who agree with you, that is still an opinion.

He answered the question asked in the thread and you're attacking him for posting it. You just want to string up anyone who disagrees with you on some fundamental issue of your choosing whether Turk or fellow Armenian. That's not how it works here.

Quit it... you've both stated your views and you both need to stop fighting now.
                  [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”

Comment

Siggie you used "sina qua non." This thread is now golden!
                    Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse View Post
                      Siggie you used "sina qua non." This thread is now golden!
                      Did you rep me for it?

Comment

Working...
                      X