Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Abdullah Gul: Armenian?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abdullah Gul: Armenian?

Abdullah says no, sues opposition member for defaming him by claiming he is Armenian.

ANKARA - President Gül hails the apology initiative as proof of Turkey’s democratic health, while Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, the military and the...

CHP deputy Arıtman unapologetic as Gül denies Armenian roots

President Abdullah Gül released a statement yesterday about his family's ethnic origins in response to a Republican People's Party (CHP) deputy's attempt to link the president's attitude toward a recently launched apology campaign for the Armenian killings at the hands of the late Ottoman Empire in 1915 to his ethnic roots.
    As CHP deputy Canan Arıtman who claimed that President Gül's mother is of Armenian origin, continued to attack the president in an interview published in the Milliyet daily yesterday, saying that she would like to throw a shoe at the president when she sees him in the same way an Iraqi journalist last week hurled a shoe at visiting US President George W. Bush. Gül released a statement denying claims that his family has Armenian roots.

Arıtman last week attacked the apology campaign initiated by a group of intellectuals to apologize for the Armenian massacres of 1915, which Armenians claim constituted genocide. "The false scientists signing it should apologize to Turkey," she said, claiming that Gül -- because of his "ethnic origins" -- was rubberstamping the campaign. "We see that the president supports this campaign. Abdullah Gül should be the president of the entire Turkish nation, not just of those sharing his ethnicity. Investigate the ethnic origin of the president's mother and you will see."

Arıtman drew ire with her comments, with some critics accusing her of racism.

In his statement yesterday, Gül announced that his mother's side, the Satoğlu family from Kayseri, and his father's side, the Gül family also from Kayseri, are Muslim and Turkish, according to centuries of written genealogy records.

"I respect the ethnic background, different beliefs and family ties of all my citizens and see this as a reality and also the wealth of our country with its imperial history. I also would like to emphasize that all my citizens are equal to one another regardless of any differences. No one has any superiority whatsoever over another one. Everybody has the equal and same rights under the guarantee of our Constitution," the statement read. "I am proud of our country, which has reached this level of understanding."

When Gül was asked for his opinion on the campaign, he said the state's stance is to improve relations with its neighbors. "We believe dialogue to be the solution for problems we have with our neighbors. Perpetuating problems is not useful to anyone," he said.

"I would toss a shoe and draw attention to this issue," Arıtman told Milliyet. She also responded to Gül's brother Mehmet Mecit Gül, who said that the Gül and Satoğlu families (the family of Gül's mother) would be suing her. "I wouldn't recommend suing me. They would be embarrassed. There is no legal basis for such a lawsuit," she said. "If I do sue the president on charges of supporting incidents that might lead to an ethnic conflict, that would have a legal basis."

Arıtman also dismissed claims that her remarks were aimed at insulting a particular ethnicity. "The nation has got me. I don't understand why the press just wouldn't," she told Milliyet. She said she had known about Gül's alleged Armenian background for a long time, adding that she should be appreciated for not revealing the information during Gül's election campaign.
    Parliament Speaker Köksal Toptan, speaking to journalists at Ankara's Esenboğa Airport on Sunday before his departure for Macedonia for an official visit, said the apology campaign was unfair as it was an attempt to unilaterally convict Turkey. However, he said, Arıtman's words were "extremely improper."

"She said things that would have never been said under the oath we take in Parliament," he said. "We can never engage in a behavior such as researching each other's roots and then drawing certain conclusions from there. I would have expected to hear Arıtman agree that her expression went overboard. But I was saddened by her new statements today in newspapers confirming her earlier statement."

Speaking at a CHP congress yesterday, Arıtman responded to Gül's statement. "I never asked the president to announce his genealogical background. I just wanted him to protect his nation and state, the duty assigned to him by the Constitution."

"Why doesn't the president show the principled stance shown by the prime minister?" Arıtman asked during the congress. Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan reacted harshly to the statement, saying he had nothing to apologize for.

"It is wrong for the president not to demonstrate the same stance. How can a president not protect the rights and pride of his state and nation?" she asked, telling Milliyet that the campaign had worked to create the impression in the international community that Turkey had accepted the allegations of genocide.

"Armenian intellectuals posted an online thank you letter to Gül," Arıtman said. "An Azerbaijani deputy I know will translate and send it to me. They are telling Gül: 'Thank you. You have [made yourself a place] in history by being the first president to recognize the genocide.'

"How come the president -- who never remembers democracy and freedoms in Workers' Day celebrations when women on the ground are being kicked by the police -- supports those who say we committed genocide and who apologizes for that?" The CHP also reacted to Arıtman's comments on Gül's Armenian background.

CHP issues warning for Arıtman

Meanwhile, the CHP administration issued a warning for Arıtman after she appeared on two TV news shows about her allegations over Gül without the CHP administration's permission.

The warning reminded Arıtman that, according to the party bylaws, CHP deputies are supposed to inform the party administration about the TV programs they will appear on and the press statements they will make.

It said Arıtman's television appearances ran counter to the party's regulations.

ANKARA - President Abdullah Gül filed a case for compensation yesterday against a main opposition deputy who made controversial claims about his alleged...

Gül files suit against Arıtman

ANKARA - President Abdullah Gül filed a case for compensation yesterday against a main opposition deputy who made controversial claims about his alleged Armenian roots.

The amount sought in the claim, YTL 1, represents symbolic compensation for damages for CHP’s Canan Arıtman’s false allegations about his mother’s ethnic origins and her public slander of his position as a statesman, reported the Anatolia news agency yesterday. The case was filed by Gül’s lawyer, Ömer Küçüközcan.

Ancestry accusations
    In protest to Gül’s approach over an apology campaign launched by Turkish intellectuals about World War I-era killings of Armenians at the hands of the Ottoman Empire, Arıtman said Gül was a secret Armenian.

"Look at his ethnic origins on his mother side," she said in controversial remarks last week that also drew a reaction from her party. Speaking to reporters at the CHP’s party congress Sunday, Arıtman said she would file a counter-claim if the president opened a case against her. The CHP deputy received a written warning from her party.

Before the case was filed, Gül said the registered history of his family that had been traced back for centuries was Muslim and Turkish.

----------------
    Maybe he's hamshen. Apparently, he thinks being called Armenian is damaging to his reputation.
    Between childhood, boyhood,
    adolescence
    & manhood (maturity) there
    should be sharp lines drawn w/
    Tests, deaths, feats, rites
    stories, songs & judgements

- Morrison, Jim. Wilderness, vol. 1, p. 22

Re: Abdullah Gul: Armenian?

Opposition member's party takes heat for her "racist" statement re: Gul's alleged Armenian heritage. http://www.todayszaman.com/tz-web/de...2099&bolum=103

Opposition party members react.

European leaders react. Demanding apology or resignation

Opposition member insists Gul take DNA test.
    ANKARA - The dispute between a main opposition deputy and President Abdullah Gül over the latter’s ethnic origin took on another dimension with the request...
    Last edited by freakyfreaky; 12-24-2008, 11:39 PM.
    adolescence

Comment

Rumor has it, that because of the whole "Gul is an Armenian scandal", Turkish parliamentarians are going to amend Penal Code 122 to include sentencing enhancements for hate crimes - discrimination and insults - including calling someone an "Armenian offspring". http://www.todayszaman.com/tz-web/de...2879&bolum=103

Apparently, in Turkey, its derogatory to call someone an Armenian.

The good side of this rumor, Turkish media admits that Turkishness includes discriminating against Armenians.

The bad side of this rumor, Turkish media admits that it is considered defamatory to call a Turkish citizen "Armenian".

Oy Vey.
      adolescence

Comment

Not that I care, but it would make for awesome headlines if Gül had some people research Arıtman's background and find Armenian, or other non Turkish ancestors there

Comment

Man wtf is with Gul? Just admit your Armenian damnit.

No one will be able to do anything.
          Last edited by Pazooki; 01-02-2009, 01:27 AM. Reason: Cuz i felt like it bish

Comment

"In accordance with the planned amendment, those who insult and discriminate against others by calling them “Armenian offspring,” “seed of a Greek,” “child of Greeks,” “filthy gypsy,” “homosexual,” “cowardly xxx,” “terrorist Kurd,” etc., will face up to one year in prison for having committed a hate crime."

Turkey has some real issues to deal with. It's funny how at the same time stuff like this is going on (a "discrimination" law meant to protect only turks), the West upholds Turkey as a beacon of secularism and democracy. Well, Islam may not be the official state religion, but Kemalism is.

P.S. these insults sounds like they're straight out of Borat. Just goes to show how backwards this country really is.
            Last edited by yerazhishda; 01-02-2009, 01:06 AM.

Comment

How embarrassing for Turkey. It's sad.

They should just have an exam for those who may be deemed "Turk enough." If they examine ancestry, the vast majority of the country will fail.

Comment

Remember, too, that there are no Kurds in Turkey, only "Mountain Turks".

Comment

Hehe, You should give him ROA citizenship.

Comment

Originally posted by Palavra View Post
                    Hehe, You should give him ROA citizenship.
                    If you go through some of the discussions on this forum about being Armenian, you'll find there is some considerable debate as to trying to ascertain what constitutes being an Armenian. Given Gül's muddled history and the complicated realtions between Turks and Armenians, if Gül were to apply for ROA citizenship, he would probably be very confused.

Comment

Working...
                    X