Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

AG Movie Scripts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AG Movie Scripts

Actually, I am criticizing our people.

I'm sick of the garbage that's broadcasted on Armenian TV. Everything - from the commercials shot in America and Armenia to the damn shows - is utter trash. I've voiced my opinion before and others have simply defended these shows, claiming they are of good quality and worth watching. Do you know what I say to that? We, as a people, have stooped to a level so low that we're being entertained by garbage.

Just because a certain film or show is Armenian does not mean I have to stand up and be proud. It's junk! I understand they don't have enough money or film equipment but that's not what I'm referring to. I'm referring to the quality of the program. HayFilm Studio is responsible for most of this garbage!

Saco, our opinions range drastically. I grew up in Los Angeles, lived next to Warner Bros. and in Hollywood, firsthand. I live in the city where the greatest films in the world get made. I know what it takes to get a good film put together, I see it everyday. Armenia is very, very capable of putting out good material. As I said, our best work is behind us. I don't need to quote the great Armenian films or actors, you know them. I truly doubt we'll ever reach that level again.

I do, however, believe Armenians will begin working in Hollywood. Sooner or later, we'll see Armenian stories getting distributed by Hollywood studios. Sure, that day will come, but I think it's too far down the road. I think Armenia needs to be concerned about releasing good material. They must be physically uncapable of doing so. I can't emphasize how horrible their programs are, everytime I see them, I know they can do so much more but they resort to childish acts and horrible humor. They can't even properly speak Armenian, they resort to using English words in their language.

I can't even speak on this subject anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Saco View Post
      And that's why he played his part so well! It doesn't matter if we was from Texas. He both looked the part and acted it out great AND was a Comanche.
      omg, i was giving you the benefit of the doubt, but you are ignorant.

As if being a Comanche has anything to do with being a Mayan? I already just told you that he had to learn Mayan, a completely separate language from Comanche, they're not even in the same language family. Also giving the fact that he was brought up in America and not registered with any tribe, i'd pretty much say he was an American of native American descent, as in an Americanized native, who has no "native American" way of thinking. Do you even realize how far apart Comanches and Mayans were/are? The Mayans were on the Yucatan peninsula and the Comanches were in north Texas and Oklahoma, that's more land between them than us and the Turks, Arabs, or Israelis. They were/are completely different peoples, with completely different cultures and customs

Based on your argument, you are saying that he was good for the role b/c he too was an indigenous person, and they all look the same. So all it boils down to is looks even though you are saying that people who look Armenians shouldn't play Armenians b/c it takes more than looks for someone to play a different nationality.

I understand how if a certain actor plays an Armenian it may not feel authentic to you, but that isn't b/c they wouldn't be able to portray the character well, it is b/c you are Armenian, and know he or she is not one in reality. Also if they speak Armenian in the film, they are likely to have an english, or some other accent that could give it away, but they could work on this, when Hugh Jackman and Hugh Laurie first started acting in America with their American accents put on most people did not realize that they were from the UK and Australia. And most Armenians have accents that are displeasing to other Armenians anyways. EA will not like WA, and vice versa, and any of the diaspora will have an accent.

However, none of this matters, b/c the target audience of an AG film would not be Armenians, it would be everyone else.

The actor from Apocolypto, being a native English speaker would of had a slight accent when speaking Yucatec and that would not feel authentic to that actual Mayans who saw the flim.

But it doesn't matter b/c Mel Gibson's target audience was not Mayan's and nobody but mayans would be able to tell.

Also another thing I've gathered is that you keep saying things like, "sometimes you can not tell the difference between an American and a Je w."

You're problem is that you only think of white people when thinking about American actors. It's not like we're saying to cast Angelina Jolie or Matt Damon as an Armenians, even if Armenians were as white as them they still would not be cast, we are talking about getting actors of a higher caliber here. Also who ever said it would only be American actors anyways? Any international actor would be fine

Very hard working and talented people, will do anything to get money! Blood is very important, don't doubt that.
      Blood has nothing to do with this, if i were to grab an American baby, take him or her to Armenia, and give it to and armenian family, the baby would be raised in Armenia and be just like any other Armenian.

Also Indra's comment is nice, but the same thing is said about Israelis, Chinese, Japanese, Indians, Pakistanis, Koreans, even Americans sometimes :-o

Also if you want to get so technical about things, the Armos cast shouldmainly be WA Armos b/c those are the ones who were mainly in Turkey during that time
      Last edited by ara87; 06-06-2009, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Good points, ara.

I'd also like to add by saying if an Armenian filmmaker did tackle on this project, I would have no respect for him/them unless they were already well established in the industry. One of the reasons why Atom Egoyan is so well respected by Armenians, Canadians and critics is because of this reason. He could have made a film like Ararat earlier in his career but he didn't. He became a well established filmmaker, and this way, reached a wider audience.

I feel like these Armenian filmmakers are simply jumping on the bandwagon of filmmaking simply to make one or two genocide films and bail. To get a film like this made in Hollywood, you need a track record, and low budget TV programming isn't going to cut it.

Comment

Actually, I am criticizing our people.

I'm sick of the garbage that's broadcasted on Armenian TV. Everything - from the commercials shot in America and Armenia to the damn shows - is utter trash. I've voiced my opinion before and others have simply defended these shows, claiming they are of good quality and worth watching. Do you know what I say to that? We, as a people, have stooped to a level so low that we're being entertained by garbage.
          Oh relax, man, seriously. It's not as bad as you think. Yes, IT'S BAD, but not that bad. I see us moving on but yes, there comes a time when I watch some shows and get really pissed. That doesn't mean everything is garbage though.

Just because a certain film or show is Armenian does not mean I have to stand up and be proud. It's junk! I understand they don't have enough money or film equipment but that's not what I'm referring to. I'm referring to the quality of the program. HayFilm Studio is responsible for most of this garbage!
          I don't know who's responsible but I get your drift. Naturally, we shouldn't be proud of ALL the shows but right now Armenia is going through a harsh phase and to see us all moving on slowly is great. Let's lighten up a bit.

Saco, our opinions range drastically. I grew up in Los Angeles, lived next to Warner Bros. and in Hollywood, firsthand. I live in the city where the greatest films in the world get made. I know what it takes to get a good film put together, I see it everyday. Armenia is very, very capable of putting out good material. As I said, our best work is behind us. I don't need to quote the great Armenian films or actors, you know them. I truly doubt we'll ever reach that level again.
          And that's your main problem ! You give up too easily...

Things are changing and I urge you to be a bit more optimistic yekhpayr.

I do, however, believe Armenians will begin working in Hollywood. Sooner or later, we'll see Armenian stories getting distributed by Hollywood studios. Sure, that day will come, but I think it's too far down the road. I think Armenia needs to be concerned about releasing good material. They must be physically uncapable of doing so. I can't emphasize how horrible their programs are, everytime I see them, I know they can do so much more but they resort to childish acts and horrible humor. They can't even properly speak Armenian, they resort to using English words in their language.
          Let's do something about it then instead of complaining so much. I understand your disgust, I really do, but spitting in everyone's eye ain't gonna help. Your judging our showbusiness by comparing it to Hollywood. Look at everything through the eyes of our people. To see change after so many problems is really good and I judge everything going on in a different way. I don't look at Hollywood/Bollywood when talking about HyeFilm. Compared to them, we really are trash. Let's lighten up a bit and be more optimistic.

omg, i was giving you the benefit of the doubt, but you are ignorant.
          We've talked about a lot of things here Ara but I never said you were ignorant. If this is how your going to take this conversation forward, I have no part of it. We all have our views and perhaps we've misunderstood each other. That gives you no right to say something like that.

As if being a Comanche has anything to do with being a Mayan? I already just told you that he had to learn Mayan, a completely separate language from Comanche, they're not even in the same language family.
          I thought they were. Misunderstood you here. In that case I guess it didn't matter as much as I thought.

i'd pretty much say he was an American of native American descent, as in an Americanized native, who has no "native American" way of thinking.
          It doesn't matter where your raised, a lot naturally changes but some things don't change!

Based on your argument, you are saying that he was good for the role b/c he too was an indigenous person, and they all look the same. So all it boils down to is looks even though you are saying that people who look Armenians shouldn't play Armenians b/c it takes more than looks for someone to play a different nationality.
          In certain respects, yes.

I understand how if a certain actor plays an Armenian it may not feel authentic to you, but that isn't b/c they wouldn't be able to portray the character well, it is b/c you are Armenian
          I already told you it's not because of that.

However, none of this matters, b/c the target audience of an AG film would not be Armenians, it would be everyone else.
          So according to you it doesn't matter if the movie feels and is more Armenian because the audience won't know? What if you wanted to make a movie meeting great standards in Armenian? Then what would you do? Teach all the foreign actors Armenian?

And most Armenians have accents that are displeasing to other Armenians anyways. EA will not like WA, and vice versa, and any of the diaspora will have an accent.
          But it will be easier for them to work on that!

The actor from Apocolypto, being a native English speaker would of had a slight accent when speaking Yucatec and that would not feel authentic to that actual Mayans who saw the flim.

But it doesn't matter b/c Mel Gibson's target audience was not Mayan's and nobody but mayans would be able to tell.

Also another thing I've gathered is that you keep saying things like, "sometimes you can not tell the difference between an American and a Je w."

You're problem is that you only think of white people when thinking about American actors. It's not like we're saying to cast Angelina Jolie or Matt Damon as an Armenians, even if Armenians were as white as them they still would not be cast, we are talking about getting actors of a higher caliber here. Also who ever said it would only be American actors anyways? Any international actor would be fine
          Look, I just want to see a movie that both feels and looks really Armenian AND I want the Armenian people to be in it and not just one or two. Not only because I'm Armenian.

Also if you want to get so technical about things, the Armos cast shouldmainly be WA Armos b/c those are the ones who were mainly in Turkey during that time
          That's far too technical. I don't think I ever said something like that.

I'd also like to add by saying if an Armenian filmmaker did tackle on this project, I would have no respect for him/them unless they were already well established in the industry.
          What if it was simply AWSOME? Unlike you, in this case, I couldn't care less who released the movie if it was great, properly directed, had a good cast, and properly touched upon the subject matter. A good movie REMAINS a good movie and even if an average director released it, I would respect him and his hard work.

I feel like these Armenian filmmakers are simply jumping on the bandwagon of filmmaking simply to make one or two genocide films and bail. To get a film like this made in Hollywood, you need a track record, and low budget TV programming isn't going to cut it.
          Things are changing. Hang in there.
          Last edited by Sako; 06-07-2009, 04:09 AM.
          THE ROAD TO FREEDOM AND JUSTICE IS A LONG ONE!

Comment

Originally posted by One-Way View Post
            Good points, ara.

I'd also like to add by saying if an Armenian filmmaker did tackle on this project, I would have no respect for him/them unless they were already well established in the industry. One of the reasons why Atom Egoyan is so well respected by Armenians, Canadians and critics is because of this reason. He could have made a film like Ararat earlier in his career but he didn't. He became a well established filmmaker, and this way, reached a wider audience.

I can agree with you re: Egoyan making the 'Ararat' before becoming famous, but the issue here is that almost all filmmakers, artists, poets etc. address the certain national issue after they become famous, this way perhaps they attract more audience and achieve the desired affect ?. Imagine the 'System of a Down' starting the worldwide compaign when they were just starting, who would pay attention- couple of Armenians, but this way once they became famous they had mush diverse and big audience.

Comment

Look at the Lark Farm. They tried to turn foreign actors into Armenians and the result? I felt like I was watching the Italian Genocide, lol, not the Armenian Genocide. I didn't feel the pain of my people. The whole movie seemed like a drama ... not a movie. But look at Dzori Miro ... the Armenian movies. They are a different story. Only our people can show their pain because they ARE in pain. The hate, the anger, etc. can only be depicted properly by people who actually FEEL all that and frankly speaking, I'm tired of seeing foreigners trying to be Armenians. It's time Armenians took the roles of Armenians.

Imagine watching Chinese actors taking the role of the warriors in Apocalypto, running around screaming KAYAKA KAYAKA ? It's almost the same case here. I think Armenians should be in the movie and there CAN be actors from Hollywood, etc. AS WELL. But the majority has to be Armenians because no matter how hard any actors try, they won't get it completely right ... or perhaps even right AT ALL. It's not about professional actors/actresses ... it's about having ARMENIAN people in a movie about THEY'RE painful past. It's as simple as that.
              Nobody complained about 'Mayrig' film, where French and Arab actors were playing Armenian, and depicting Armenian suffering and life. I do not speak French and do not understand it, but even through translation I can't watch it without tears. I think the problem here is not who plays who, the problem is how it is represented.

Comment

Nobody complained about 'Mayrig' film, where French and Arab actors were playing Armenian, and depicting Armenian suffering and life. I do not speak French and do not understand it, but even through translation I can't watch it without tears. I think the problem here is not who plays who, the problem is how it is represented.
                I think both matters if you want to attract an international audience. All I want is Armenians to also be in the movie. Naturally, not all can or should be Armenians. Imagine seeing some of Armenia's greatest actors playing in it such as Sos Sarkisyan and many others. I think a real movie dedicated to the AG should include many Armenians and I feel it will leave a better impression on the audience.

Comment

Originally posted by Lika View Post
                  I can agree with you re: Egoyan making the 'Ararat' before becoming famous, but the issue here is that almost all filmmakers, artists, poets etc. address the certain national issue after they become famous, this way perhaps they attract more audience and achieve the desired affect ?. Imagine the 'System of a Down' starting the worldwide compaign when they were just starting, who would pay attention- couple of Armenians, but this way once they became famous they had mush diverse and big audience.
                  My point exactly.

Comment

My point exactly.
                    I know One-Way but claiming that you'll have no respect for a director if he/she perhaps DOESN'T have as much fame is a bit confusing. Like I said, what if he/she created a masterpiece, would you still not respect him/her? Just wondering...

Comment

This has little to do with being popular and drawing a bigger audience and more to do with having the political power to promote something controversial.
                      "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Working...
                      X