Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

How to "convert" dormant Armenians to the Hye Tad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to "convert" dormant Armenians to the Hye Tad?

I was inspired to ask this question based on a recent thread:

As most of us are diasporan Armenians, many of us have come across dormant Armenians - ignorant of the Armenian language, culture, religion, politics, etc. My question is: how do we "convert" these Armenians - or at the very least implant the seed of Armenian self-realization - within them?

It is self-evident that the more Armenians we have interested in their own culture, the more likely they are to marry Armenian, repatriate, learn the culture and language, and help or donate to Armenian causes. If we are truly Armenian, shouldn't one of our goals be to recruit dormant Armenians? Or does the Armenian spirit have to awaken from within, with there being nothing that we can do to help them? I would truly appreciate your insights.

Re: How to "convert" dormant Armenians to the Hye Tad?

The American and Western spell is too strong. "Dormant" armenians will stay dormant 95% of the time. It is the main premise of those cultures.

I think best way to wake those dormants up is to ship them to Armenia for few months. They will only then open their eyes. just Shoving pictures of Ararat in their face won't help.

I'm in Yerevan for a good portion of the year every year and I see frequently Americans of Armenian descent roaming around. However, many of them speak English with each other and still wear the stupid American basketball clothes which hang down to the floor and their crazy hair (it annoys hell out of me).
    Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
    ---
    "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

I believe the Armenian spirit has to awaken from the inside of the person, it has to be something we're all are proud of and love, love enough to make us want to learn the language and the culture, learn our history and our legacy, repatriate, etc.. And that grows from the inside, you have to plant, take care of, and then see bloom the spirit of loving Armenia and the beautiful piece of heaven we have, but you also have to know the reality of what is to live in Armenia and what it implies socially, culturally and economically. Because if not we have the cases of diasporan Armenians who have gone to Armenia planning to settle, and some months later they go back because they understood that being Armenia is much harder than what they had in mind.

In the end we can't 'convert' them or 'force' them to learn the language, or love their culture, or love Armenia...you know? It's something every Armenian must grow inside of his/her heart, if they don't give a damn then nothing will make them change their mind.
      Last edited by ashot24; 01-20-2010, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Help the newbie Armenian find something you think they'll love about their culture. Could be cuisine, could be stories of General Antranik, or our music... Show them where to get some exp and level up. As ashot said, we can't force them to convert, love and speak like us, it has to be their own journey. But we can always encourage them along the way.

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3 View Post
          Help the newbie Armenian find something you think they'll love about their culture. Could be cuisine, could be stories of General Antranik, or our music... Show them where to get some exp and level up. But we can always encourage them along the way.
          Fair points.

Originally posted by jgk3 View Post
          As ashot said, we can't force them to convert, love and speak like us, it has to be their own journey..
          I am afraid I tend to think they can an be forced to convert.
          Unfortunately this is being done through the exposure of foreign cultures who convert our youngsters.

What is sad is that one the biggest culprit is the Armenian media.

Armenian TV broadcasts are now widely available through satellite and the internet.

Unfortunately vast majority of the time they propagate either foreign films or music despite the fact that these are available through the local outlets.

You also get many of our artist who through their (in most cases ) amateurish impersonations of other cultures poison our youngsters into thinking that there is something superior in those cultures.

If our media was more professional and with a defined mission the (Armenian ) general public both at home and the Diaspora would be better served.
          Last edited by londontsi; 01-21-2010, 05:28 AM.
          Politics is not about the pursuit of morality nor what's right or wrong
          Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
          Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

Originally posted by londontsi View Post
            Fair points.

I am afraid I tend to think they can an be forced to convert.
            Unfortunately this is being done through the exposure of foreign cultures who convert our youngsters.

What is sad is that one the biggest culprit is the Armenian media.

Armenian TV broadcasts are now widely available through satellite and the internet.

Unfortunately vast majority of the time they propagate either foreign films or music despite the fact that these are available through the local outlets.

You also get many of our artist who through their (in most cases ) amateurish impersonations of other cultures poison our youngsters into thinking that there is something superior in those cultures.

If our media was more professional and with a defined mission the (Armenian ) general public both at home and the Diaspora would be better served.
            Where have you heard foreign music on an Armenian channel? The only music I hear every day is from Armenian artists. Most of the shows are Armenian, there are a couple of serialner that are foreign(south american) but that's garbage and almost no one watches that.

You know what I want that they would make a show or two like mi vaxecir. That was a great show, we need more if that.

Comment

Great thread Yeraz!

I think this forum is helpful, but if someone is here they already have some spark of interest. However, the forum can help cultivate that.
              For me, it was encouraging to see others who are educated about everything Armenian and so passionate about it. Even if you want to educate yourself and brush up on your language skills (or even start from scratch) it can seem like a very daunting task, but finding like-minded people who make themselves available as a source of knowledge and encouragement is very important.
              [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
              -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

I think the answer to this threads question is acceptance. We need to be more accepting of differences among us and not predjudice twords these people. I think the way Kim Kardashian is treated in some of the threads here is a good example of how we lose many of these people who had a interest in their roots but were turned off by the reactions from the "real armenians". Many more people are lost in this manner then in any other so if you really want to help people of armenian decent get in touch with their roots you need to accept them as your fellow armenian and treat them in a manner which will make them want to learn more about our culture and their backgrownd not run away in disgust. We armenians are forced to live in many different places and it is perfectly natural that we have many differences. The biggest thing to keep in mind is if you met a fellow armenian, how would you like to be treated by him/her?
                Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by KarotheGreat View Post
                  Where have you heard foreign music on an Armenian channel? The only music I hear every day is from Armenian artists. Most of the shows are Armenian, there are a couple of serialner that are foreign(south american) but that's garbage and almost no one watches that.

You know what I want that they would make a show or two like mi vaxecir. That was a great show, we need more if that.
                  Only yesterday on the main Armenian channel ( from Armenia) was Persian songs. I would say 50-60% of films are foreign (English or Russian some dubbed). Adverts are both Armenian as well as Russian.

Same can be said for Shant as well as Yerkir Media ( on the Internet).
                  Politics is not about the pursuit of morality nor what's right or wrong
                  Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
                  Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
                    I think the answer to this threads question is acceptance. We need to be more accepting of differences among us and not predjudice twords these people. I think the way Kim Kardashian is treated in some of the threads here is a good example of how we lose many of these people who had a interest in their roots but were turned off by the reactions from the "real armenians". Many more people are lost in this manner then in any other so if you really want to help people of armenian decent get in touch with their roots you need to accept them as your fellow armenian and treat them in a manner which will make them want to learn more about our culture and their backgrownd not run away in disgust. We armenians are forced to live in many different places and it is perfectly natural that we have many differences. The biggest thing to keep in mind is if you met a fellow armenian, how would you like to be treated by him/her?
                    Kardashian is to Armenia as Madonna is to Italy. And I don't think that's what what Yeraz was referring to when he said "dormant" My biggest pet peeve is when society refers to celebrities as people. They aren't regular people, they get paid by Hryas to be irregular so that the sheep can bow to the stars.

If anyone finds interest in their roots, I think that's a great thing. Like it has been mentioned in this thread, it has to come from within.
                    "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Working...
                    X